Just Lost in the Play Off Final. Again.

Ughhghh

In the championship, we were top scorers in the league, 4 players in the TOTY and lost the play off final on pens after losing it last year in the 93rd minute...

Started the season off in great form, was 1st for about the first third of the season, then dropped down to second, then in the last few weeks of the season ended up third. Couldn't seem to keep up any consistency, I'd win 5 games in a row easily then suddenly have a few draws and losses.

My team is clearly good enough for the PL, problems seem to be more in defence than attack but there were times when we struggled to score enough as well. Seemed to concede a lot of late goals as well at one point in the season. Changed tactics mid season to solve this, but had to change again later in the season.

Any tips for sustaining a long winning run? Or generally how to do well in the championship?

Cheers.

I'd go with the sitting back. Use your subs too. On occasion I go with the classic one man up front and just keep trying to hit him when holding on late in the game.

Only one time really sticks out when it has backfired (not that I won't have blown it in other matches) was coincidentally in a play off final. I conceded in added time and went in to lose on penalties.

You seemingly have problems when the pressure is on, so it might be worth taking pressure off your players toward the final few games and especially finals. Keep an eye on their body language too.

Maybe mix up your tactics more? If I'm on a run of winning several games I feel compelled to at least change something. Even though we're playing well I know we'll get that one game where a team will stifle us. I won't necessarily change the base tactic, but just make some tweaks after submit team just for that one game.

What I've found in big matches is that more often than not the first half hour or so is a deadlock. So once in a while I'll try to come out guns blazing in a big match. Very risky, but I feel it can catch a team unaware and get an early goal or two.

I am having a terrible time with the play-offs in FMC15, just lost out to Leeds in the final for promotion to the PL.

Also lost out with same team in League One play-off final and with previous club lost out in play-offs as well, so probably lost out in the play-offs about 5/6 times in this save.:(

Before the game against Leeds we were in good form and had done the double over them during the season, we took the lead in ET but lost out 3-2.

I've bought a better CB (who's went and got injured for 4 months but never mind...) and some better subs/back ups. Will definitely try the 'no pressure' thing, I rarely do that. I sometimes go defensive late on but I'm always wary of inviting pressure on, will give it a go more often when I've got a slender lead.

Have started the season well again, 3 league wins out of 3 and a win in the league cup. Will have to make sure we can keep it up this season...

I've bought a better CB (who's went and got injured for 4 months but never mind...) and some better subs/back ups. Will definitely try the 'no pressure' thing, I rarely do that. I sometimes go defensive late on but I'm always wary of inviting pressure on, will give it a go more often when I've got a slender lead.

Have started the season well again, 3 league wins out of 3 and a win in the league cup. Will have to make sure we can keep it up this season...

Try to use "Don't get complacent for the next game" or "The media have been talking you up, don't get complacent" some players won't like it but in the long run you'll see big improvements on containing form through the season.

Also play-off final knockbacks usually give me the most motivation to try and succeed. Hope you get there in the end.

Try to use "Don't get complacent for the next game" or "The media have been talking you up, don't get complacent" some players won't like it but in the long run you'll see big improvements on containing form through the season.

Also play-off final knockbacks usually give me the most motivation to try and succeed. Hope you get there in the end.

I'll give that a go as well. Yeah after the first one I wasn't too bothered, didn't have a good enough team anyway and I'd been appointed mid season. But the second was very annoying... The championship is gruelling to get through.

Don't defend, press till 90 mins

I maintain control mentality till 90 mins even i am only leading 1-0

I found becoming defensive in late game always make me losing late goal

for the last 10 mins, u can use retain possession or slower tempo, but no dropping the defensive line since another team will just attack without fear and break your defence

the key is to keep the ball high on opposite area, but not your own

I just Brighton, I found attacking is the best defence. Because the defenders are lousy, if the team strength is attack, you are wasting the attackers in defense.

Ughhghh

In the championship, we were top scorers in the league, 4 players in the TOTY and lost the play off final on pens after losing it last year in the 93rd minute...

Started the season off in great form, was 1st for about the first third of the season, then dropped down to second, then in the last few weeks of the season ended up third. Couldn't seem to keep up any consistency, I'd win 5 games in a row easily then suddenly have a few draws and losses.

My team is clearly good enough for the PL, problems seem to be more in defence than attack but there were times when we struggled to score enough as well. Seemed to concede a lot of late goals as well at one point in the season. Changed tactics mid season to solve this, but had to change again later in the season.

Any tips for sustaining a long winning run? Or generally how to do well in the championship?

Cheers.

OP, what is your team's media prediction?

Not 100% sure but it'll be high, the board usually expect me to win the league though... Whoever was in charge before was sacked for being 6th in December, I then finished 5th and then 3rd the following season. Was lucky to avoid the sack in that first season.

Ended up winning the league in my next season!

Changed tactics and mainly used a 5-1-3-1 with two wing backs, a DLP at DM and a AM, two wingers and a ST. Had counter mentality on, sat deep, quick tempo and high pressing - slightly Leicester inspired. Noticed a lot of teams were playing 4-4-2 in the league so thought the extra CB would help which it did and also managed to have enough attackers to score. Thought we might struggle in midfield but the deep line and quick transitions meant it worked, the DLP was outstanding as well.

Also had a few other tactics on the side to change when we weren't playing against two strikers (which was rare) and to keep opponents on their toes, having one tactic and sticking with it defiantly for a whole season simply doesn't work any more.

A solid defence was what I needed it seemed, my usual high line and patient passing wasn't the way to go...

Archived