Out to In wing play

about 12 years ago i started playing what would become 4231.

I got my wingers to start wide then cut in to the byline just inside the area and pull the ball back.

that was easier with the arrows for runs but i can't get my players to do that now.

i've tried all sorts of combinations with the individual players instructions but i just can't get them to do it.

any ideas?

the idea is that the wide player starts on the touch line then heads towards the byline to cut the ball back but does so from close enough to the goal that they're not crossing from the corner flag

about 12 years ago i started playing what would become 4231.

I got my wingers to start wide then cut in to the byline just inside the area and pull the ball back.

that was easier with the arrows for runs but i can't get my players to do that now.

i've tried all sorts of combinations with the individual players instructions but i just can't get them to do it.

any ideas?

the idea is that the wide player starts on the touch line then heads towards the byline to cut the ball back but does so from close enough to the goal that they're not crossing from the corner flag

So you're the one who invented the 4231? :D

i don't have any players that like to play wide midfield, they are all wide attacking midfielders

This really isn't as much of an issue as many people think it is. Playing them as a WM, they will be just fine. They might not mark and tackle and track back as diligently as a classic WM if they have poor defensive attributes, but going forward, you shouldn't see much difference between a WM and someone playing in the AMR/AML positions.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived