FM15: Atletico Madrid - Simeone....Ohhhh, How We Looovvve You

Jean0987654321

History

It was not too long ago that Atleti had to resort to using third-party ownership to buy players due to lack of funds. Regardless, they were able to fill their squad with talent. On May 31st, 2013, Falcao made his 60M move to AS Monaco leaving the red and whites without a dominant striker and the man who led the way to 2 Europa League titles and a Copa del Rey title. However, his shoes was then filled by Diego Costa. On July 1, 2014, Diego Costa made his 32M move to Chelsea leaving the red and whites without a dominant striker and the man who led the way to a La Liga title and a Champions League Final appearance. Ehh, you get the pattern. :D Regardless of departing key players, one coach remained and his name is Diego Simeone. He was a former player for the red and whites and had his ups and downs as head coach. He most notability led River Plate to relegation from the Argentine Primer Division. Yikes. When Atleti took a punt at him, he clearly repaid the favor.

Stadium

220px-Estadio_Vicente_Calderon_01.jpg

Name: Estadio Vicente Calderón

Ground Share: No

Capacity: 54,907

Honors

- 10x La Liga

- 1x Segunda Division

- 10x Copa del Rey

- 5x Supercopa de Espana

- 1x European Cup Winners' Cup

- 2x Europa League

- 2x UEFA Super Cup

- 1x Intercontinental Cup

Squad

Goalkeepers

WYHFUzK.png

Analysis: Both Jan Oblak and Miguel Moya are good enough to be a starter. So, you can pick your poison. That 3rd stringer is not good enough for Atleti and should be sold.

Recommended Players: Victor Valdes

Defenders

HICNbhj.png

Analysis: Joao Miranda is terrible in this game and should be sold immediately. To replace him, I promote Gimenez or buy Eder Alvarez Balanta. Christian Ansaldi is also not worth the buyout clause in his loan. Get another LB after this season or try to loan him again.

Recommended Players: Eder Alvarez Balanta, Kristoff Ajer, Joseph Yobo, Inigo Martinez, Sammir

Midfielders

pr3Fty2.png

Analysis: The only problem I have is in the middle. Most of these guys are over 30 or close to it. You should look to bring in some younger options but it is not necessary in the first season.

Recommended Players: Lucas Romero, Bryan Cristante, Zakaria Bakalli, Munir, Sergi Samper, Sergi Darder, Gaston Gil Romero

Attackers

lYTsSOS.png

Analysis: You're good here. You got a great crop of strikers and any more should be for the B team.

Recommened Players: Sandro, Gabriel Barbosa, Ezequiel Rescaldani, Munir, Federico Bonazzolli

Youth Players to look out for: If I had to tell you about every player we would be here all day. Here's some guys to keep an eye on

Hector Hernandez

Andres Robles

Nacho Monsalve

Ivan Alejo

Alvaro Melgares

Matija Spoljaric

Borja Baston

Javi Manquillo

Emiliano Velaquez

Thomas Partey

Budget

k2kMxxk.png

Tactics

I recommend a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1

Oblak

Juanfran-Godin-Saul-Siqueira

Koke-Gabi-Thaigo-Turan

Raul Garcia-Mandzukic

Oblak

Juanfran-Godin-Saul-Siqueira

Gabi-Thaigo

Koke-Greizmann-Turan

Mandzurkic

Now go forth and fight for Atleti :)

Glad to finally have a thread for the club. I have started an Atletico save more than once on FM15 but haven't gone forward with it. Its an interesting game, especially if you try replicate the Simeone approach, which is not easy on FM.

I'm not sure what you mean about Miranda being terrible. Attribute-wise, he's quite outstanding looking. Based on his mental attributes alone, he is a step ahead of Gimenez or even Balanta.

I would say central mid is one of the areas of least concern. Gabi, Mario Suarez, Raul Garcia, and Arda Turan are all very good players and not easily replaced with clearly better players. Koke is one of the best young center mids in the game. Saul is a wonderkid. Oliver is on loan at Porto, but he's also a wonderkid. Angel Correa can be a forward or an attacking mid, but he's also a Wonderkid. Atletico might be more loaded in the middle of the park than any side in the game. Bringing in someone like Lucas Romero would be a pure luxury purchase.

The problems I identified are the foreign player numbers and squad statuses. The club has 4 foreign players to start with - Miranda, Gimenez, Jimenez, and Correa. If you start with a data update, Correa is out on loan. Miranda has put in enough time in Spain to gain nationality and is "awaiting paperwork" but until he does, you can't add another non-EU player and register them. Problematic if you are targeting the likes of Balanta, Romero, etc.

The other issue is less immediately apparent but is likely to cause headaches as you go forward. The squad has 16 players with First Team or Key Player status. That means 16 players who will expect to start every league match, and who will demand to if they aren't. Given the issues in the game with player interactions, this is a nightmare waiting to happen.

Glad to finally have a thread for the club. I have started an Atletico save more than once on FM15 but haven't gone forward with it. Its an interesting game, especially if you try replicate the Simeone approach, which is not easy on FM. I'm not sure what you mean about Miranda being terrible. Attribute-wise, he's quite outstanding looking. Based on his mental attributes alone, he is a step ahead of Gimenez or even Balanta. I would say central mid is one of the areas of least concern. Gabi, Mario Suarez, Raul Garcia, and Arda Turan are all very good players and not easily replaced with clearly better players. Koke is one of the best young center mids in the game. Saul is a wonderkid. Oliver is on loan at Porto, but he's also a wonderkid. Angel Correa can be a forward or an attacking mid, but he's also a Wonderkid. Atletico might be more loaded in the middle of the park than any side in the game. Bringing in someone like Lucas Romero would be a pure luxury purchase. The problems I identified are the foreign player numbers and squad statuses. The club has 4 foreign players to start with - Miranda, Gimenez, Jimenez, and Correa. If you start with a data update, Correa is out on loan. Miranda has put in enough time in Spain to gain nationality and is "awaiting paperwork" but until he does, you can't add another non-EU player and register them. Problematic if you are targeting the likes of Balanta, Romero, etc. The other issue is less immediately apparent but is likely to cause headaches as you go forward. The squad has 16 players with First Team or Key Player status. That means 16 players who will expect to start every league match, and who will demand to if they aren't. Given the issues in the game with player interactions, this is a nightmare waiting to happen.
I meant that Miranda plays like horse manure for me. Wanna have a 5.7 rating type player?

I meant that Miranda plays like horse manure for me. Wanna have a 5.7 rating type player?

That's odd. Over how many matches? There is nothing in his attributes, even the hidden to ones, to suggest a player who is error-prone, inconsistent or bumbling. The AI seems to do okay with him as well. You have either been really unlucky or have a tactical issue with how he's being used.

That's odd. Over how many matches? There is nothing in his attributes, even the hidden to ones, to suggest a player who is error-prone, inconsistent or bumbling. The AI seems to do okay with him as well. You have either been really unlucky or have a tactical issue with how he's being used.
For 2-3 months, he's been slumping. I've since started over and sold him from the get-go

Attributes only tell part of the story

• 1 month later...
For 2-3 months, he's been slumping. I've since started over and sold him from the get-go

Attributes only tell part of the story

He is on 7.20 in rating half way though the first season for me

Had two red cards, but that is about the only bad thing about him so far

Are you guys keeping faith in Oblak? I'm in Marts and he has been out injured 3x3 weeks so far, that are to much for my first choice keeper, have I just been unlucky with him and injuries this season?

In season 2016/2017 I steel use him as my main keeper even though his stats are not of a world class keeper. Bunch of 16s here and there, a lot of 15s and the rest idk, nothing fancy but he does the job.

Does the squad need a few 'ins' at the start of the season?

Depends what kind of system that you are looking to play

I wanted to play with wingers, so added Sisto & Depay (+ loaned De Ceglie to back up for left back) Sold Tiago and Raul Garcia to finance the buys

????

Koke is 23

and you will get these back from loan after the first season

Joshua Gullavogul 24 (after season two)

Ruben Perez 26

Thomas Partey 21

---

and at the start you have...

Gabi

Raul Garcia

Mario Suarez

+ Turan can play there

---

Central midfield is the one place where you have the most players at a decent level

---

If you are going to play with wide players in midfield you need to add as Griezmann and Turan are the only players to play there

An extra central defender would be a good idea as Miranda tend to get send of a couple of games a season, and you will be left with Godin and Gimenez with no back to them

• 1 month later...

Decided to start with Atletico Madrid, where the aim is to challenge Real Madrid and Barcelona and begin a new era in spanish football. Will be very difficult, with the economic differences between the three clubs. Will be playing a very offensive flat 4-3-3 formations, which i think suits the team very well. Didn't do much on the transfer marked, due to lack of founds in the club.

In:

10.01.15 Memphis Depay (PSV Eindhoven) - £9m

02.02.15 Jesus Vallejo (Real Zaragoza) - £1.1m

Out:

02.02.15 Joao Miranda (Liverpool) - £3m

The season started very well with a 2-1 win against Real Madrid in the Supercopa. And after a really close race in La Liga we won the league in match day 37 when we beat Barcelona 2-0 at Vincente Calderon. Also beat Barcelona in the Champions League, after a thrilling 90 minutes the score was 6-3 to Atletico in Berlin. Also made a good figure in the spanish cup, but was knocked out by Real Madrid in the semi.

Going to try to rebuild the team in the summer, not an easy task with a transfer budget on £4.05m and transfer revenue on 25 %!!

Season 2 - 2015/16

After a very successful 1st season and a busy transfer window we are ready for a new season. In the end i managed to get 40 % of the transfer revenue and had to sell a lot of players to rebuild my squad. It would be difficult to achieve the same result as the previous season, but the goal is to fight for the La Liga title and reach the semi final in the Champions League.

In:

Nicola Leali (Juventus) - Free

Lucas Romero (Velez) - £12.5m

Jose Gaya (Valencia) - £7m + Raul Garcia

Gaston Gil Romero (Estudiantes) - £5.5m

Richairo Zivkovic (Ajax) - £5.5m

Out:

Miguel Angel Moya (Lyon) - £7m

Ruben Perez (Elche) - £1m

Arda Turan (Monaco) - £17.75m

Silvio (Nantes) - £1.9m

Mario Suarez (Benfica) - £7m

Tiago (West Ham) - £1m

Borja Baston (Cordoba) - £2m

Emiliano Velazquez (Olympiacos) - Loan

Jesus Gamez (Monaco) - £5.75m

Alessio Cerci (Liverpool) - £15.5m

Thomas Partey (Valencia) - £5m

Cristian Rodriguez (Real Sociedad) - £2.8m

Raul Jimenez (Cagliari) - £6m

Raul Garcia (Valencia) - £0 + Jose Gaya

Angel Correa (Braga) - Loan

Emiliano Insua - Free Transfer

• 3 months later...

Once the transfer window shuts I think I quite fancy doing a save with Athletico.

They seem to be quite top heavy so I'm going to try some kind of narrow formation.

Thinking of a 4-3-1-2 with Griezmann playing behind the two strikers (not sure what role as of yet) with Vietto/Martinez as my main two.

I'm not normally one that goes for narrow formations, normally a 4-1-4-1/4-3-3/4-2-3-1 kind of guy so quite looking forward to seeing what I can do.

Archived