What's best to look for in a younger signing?

When your looking for long term signings, what do people put most importance on?

Are you best looking for young kids who have good mental stats, even if their technical or physical arent as good?

Is a physical beast better at a young age and the rest of the stats can follow?

Or is a technically brilliant, but weak minded and physically player best to pick up and work on?

Do people look for a few high rated key stats for each position, and take it from there?

Mental stats such as determination and work rate are important for long term signings and younger players. If they have these, their attributes increase more and they work better with more demanding training schedules. Then again, if you are managing in the lower leagues, more physical attributes, such as pace and acceleration, are more important.

Mental stats such as determination and work rate are important for long term signings and younger players. If they have these, their attributes increase more and they work better with more demanding training schedules. Then again, if you are managing in the lower leagues, more physical attributes, such as pace and acceleration, are more important.

+1

I place a lot of emphasis on mental stats and personality, which apparently are the best indicator of future success. The other thing I look out for is natural fitness and at least one or two technical stats that are important for the player's role.

If a youngster has extremely good physical stats at an early age mixed in with good determination, i find they generally progress better. Technical ability can always come with good coaching and right mentoring etc.

Example Romelu Lukaku at Anderlecht aged 15 and 16 was how most fully grown men are physically at say 25-30 (Specimen of the highest quality) If you have ever seen a picture of Lukaku training as a youngster compared to his team mates you will know what i mean ;)

So to round up, for me great physicals mixed with a good determination can lead to potentially world class players with the right coaching and mentoring.

To me it will depend where they will play. Central players should be stronger, while flank players should be faster n more skillful. Even if you are mentally great and skillful, but if you cant compete for the ball psychically it is not easy.

My scout just found a brilliant Brazilian winger but he is 5'2 at the age of 22. This could be a great experiment which 1 is more important. Mental n skill stats are fantastic. His only weaknesses are jumping of 2 and strength below 10. I wonder how he will survive in premiership

Personality, Determination, Work Rate/Team Work, Natural Fitness.

Personality: For obvious reason, Pro's are better than Unambitious ones and so on.

Determination: It's hard to improve, and good/bad determination is contagious.

Work Rate: The harder they work, the better. No lazy people in my teams.

Team Work: If they can't work together, they're a liability.

Natural Fitness: High means they hold their form longer, get injured less, recover faster, and will have a (much) later regression date than other players. See the likes of Giggs, Kuyt etc. Nat Fit is in part the ''ageless'' skill, if it's very high they tend to stay good for a long long time.

I also prefer it if they have a decent amount of technique, because that helps with everything.

Determination is an easy stat to increase through tutoring.

Personality can also be changed via tutoring.

I like to look for quick players as I base my style on counter attacking play, then put them through a good tutoring period to get the personality to the right type..professional or ambitious I tend to prefer.

It really would depend on your teams style of play and league your in to determine what stats would be best.

Archived