FM15: HSV - Reviving the Dinosaur

edgar555

HSV-Logosvg_zps086eb678.png

Welcome to the FM15 club thread of Hamburger Sport-Verein e.V. better known as Hamburg or HSV.

History

HSVBackground_zps61362947.jpg

For a full history check out HSV's wikipedia page.

HSV is an historic German club and proud to be the only club to have played in every season of the Bundesliga. However Der Dinosaurier (The Dinosaur) has often flirted with financial trouble including over recent times. Recently the club has also struggled to maintain it's record of never being relegated, last season only surviving a relegation play off.

Hamburg's last trophy was the 1987 DFB-Pokal and the glory years of the 70's and early 80's, including a European Cup in 1983, are long gone. It's time to put that straight!

Club Records

HSVHistoryRecords_zps8c384e68.jpg

General Info

HSVGeneral_zps76e100dd.jpg

Rivalries

The club has rivalries with Hamburgs other club, the hipsters favourites St Pauli, they contest the Hamburger derby. They also have rivalries with fellow northerners Werder Bremen. They contest the Nordderby with Bremen. The final derby HSV are involved in is the Nord-Sud derby with Bayern.

Facilities

HSVFacilities_zps7cc78dbf.jpg

Affiliations

HSV has only one affiliate, Austrian club, Kapfenberger SV 1919.

Budget (what budget?) & Expectations

Expectationsandbudget_zps5cfef840.jpg

Along with the above expectations the board want players developed through the youth system. Youth facilities are good while junior recruitment and junior training are only average. I haven't yet tried to get these improved, I will give it a go if I can get off to a good start.

As seen in the budget the team is spending at it's limit in wages and there is no transfer budget. You do get to keep 100% of transfer funds raised though so it's a case of sell to buy if you feel the need.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Squad Report

Goalkeepers

Rene Adler 7.5/10 - Good Bundesliga keeper who should see you right for a good few years. Kicking is a weakness. Most suited to a GK role but could also fulfil SK if needed.

Jaroslav Drobny 6/10 - Experienced and solid back up to Adler. Contract up soon so will need to renew or look elsewhere for 2nd season.

Overall: Fine for now but nothing coming through the ranks so will need attention sooner or later.

Full Backs

Dirk Diekmeier 6.5/10 - Right side. A decent level for Bundesliga. Can play anywhere on right hand side so is a more attacking full back.

Marcell Jansen 7.5/10 - Left side. Very good attacking full back on the left side. Can also play anywhere on the left. Will attract attention from bigger clubs and his contract only has a year to run. Do you cash in now or hope to keep him happy and look to extend?

Matthias Ostrzolek 7/10 - Left side. Similar to Jansen and can again play anywhere on the left. Can have major lapses but should be solid enough.

Overall: A back up on the right side is needed although Heiko Westermann and Valon Behrami can both fill in their if needed. Overall a solid department but if Jansen goes investment will be needed.

Centre Backs

Heiko Westermann 7.5/10 - Can play anywhere in the back line but more suited in the centre. A rock.

Johan Djorou 7.5/10 - The Swiss international is club vice-captain and has grown in stature and ability at HSV. A fine partner for Westermann.

Cleber 6.5/10 - 23 year old Brazilian with lots of potential but is still a little raw.

Slobodan Rajkovic 5/10 - Is injured for the first 4-5 months and will be leaving on a free transfer at the end of the first season. Not good enough anyway.

Fabio Morena 2.5/10 - 34 years old and transfer listed. Just get rid, adds no value.

Jonathan Tah 7/10 - 18 years old and out on loan for the first season but make no mistake, Tah is the future of your back line if he continues to develop.

Lasse Sobiech - 5.5/10 Also out on loan for a season. Doesn't have half the potential of Tah, probably not going to be good enough but could be a servicable back up.

Overall: First choices are very good but back ups are lacking. The future looks bright in Tah and maybe Cleber, but you may need to bridge the years before they're ready to start.

Centre Midfield

Petr Jiracek - 6.5/10 Solid DM or MC, mainly as a BWM.

Gojko Kacar - 6/10 Injured for first 3 months. Can play centre back also. Decent but not exciting ball winner/anchor man

Valon Behrami - 7/10 Combative Swiss international who can also fill in at right back

Matti Steinman - 6/10 At only 19 has huge potential as a DLP or Roaming Playmaker. Give him games to help him reach his potential.

Tolgay Arslan -7/10 First choice as a DLP or Roaming playmaker and at only 23 can still develop a little.

Overall: Another solid department, no major rush to add to it. Good future in Arslan and Steinmann.

Wingers

Ivo Ilicevic 7/10 - can play right or left, not the paciest but skilful. Good dead ball delivery.

Zoltan Stieber 6.5/10 - Left or right sided. Decent pace and skill, not top class though.

Julian Green 6.5/10 - On loan from Bayern. Can play either side. Great potential although its doubtful he'll be easily prised from Bayerns clutches.

Maximillian Beister 7/10 - Can play both sides or up front if needed. Pacey and tricky.

Nicolai Muller 7.5/10 - Can also play on either flank or up front. Definitely the best wide man at the club. Best used as a winger at MR.

Jacques Zoua 6/10 - Out on loan for a season. At 22 has some potential but probably not going to make it.

Overall: A well stocked department that should provide the ammo for the forwards.

Attacking Midfield

Rafael van der Vaart 8/10 - Club captain and fan favourite. At 31 his best days are behind him and injuries could be an issue but if fit is a proven winner and fighter. Can be a playmaker or shadow striker.

Lewis Holtby 7.5/10 - On a season loan from Spurs (IRL his move has been made permanent unfortunately not in game). A younger version of van der Vaart. Could also play as MC as a playmaker.

Overall: Two great options

Strikers

Pierre Michel Lasogga 8/10 - Big lump of a target man who in the right system will score bucket loads. Could form a devestating partnership feeding Rafa or Holtby as shadow striker feeding on his flick ons

Artjoms Rudnevs 7/10 - A decent back up for Lasogga but unlikely to set the world on fire.

Overall: Lack of depth but good options nonetheless

All in all this squad should be good enough to keep clear of the relegation battles of the last couple of seasons. Thats the theory anyway.

Captaincy

Rafael van der Vaart is captain and the obvious one to continue in this role.

Djorou is set as Vice Captain but I'd suggest removing him and installing Heiko Westermann.

Best youth prospects

These 3 are the best prospects in the youth ranks: Melvin Krol / Jonas Behounek / Nikita Bondar

Staff Overview

DoF Peter Knabel is extremely good and well worth keeping.

Head of Youth Development Bernhard Peters is one of the very best in the business and the club are lucky to have him

Assistant Manager Patrick Rahmen is decent but better options are available.

GK coach Stefan Wachter, Chief Scout Christopher Clemens along with physios Andrea Muller and Mario Reicherz should all be sacked as better options are available for the Scout and GK coach roles, while ditching a couple of physios will allow you to add other coaches.

Also note that HSV II staff are able to coach the first team also.

Edit: I've been able to attract Rene Meulensteen to the club as a coach. I couldn't pay his wage demand but a 10% yearly rise plus bonuses linked to Europa qualification and DFB-Pokal success as well as waiving compensation for a manager role has convinced him.

Tactical Options

Everyone will of course have their own opinions but with the wingers being extremely effective and most of the centre mids being best suited at DM this the shape I'll be looking to implement:

42211_zps0593715d.jpg

The advantage of this is utilising van der Vaart as a shadow striker playing off Lasogga.

Title Odds

Odds_zps39c05add.jpg

It's clear the title is a long shot. At best. But if luck favours you then a shot at Europa League isn't completely out the question.

So why choose HSV?

- Trying to break the dominance of Bayern

- The club is listed as rich but once all the debt repayments kick in things will be tight, it'll be a challenge to keep the club moving in the right direction.

- Rafa van der Vaart (admittedly this may just be me!)

Rafa_zpsbca8f576.jpg

- Reviving the dinosaur! A once great club that has fallen on hard times!

HSV_Hamburg_2_zps564582a6.jpg

Nice opening post. I was considering a Bundesliga save but wasn't sure which club to choose this time around. I was looking at either Leverkusen or Wolfsburg but I might give HSV a try as my next save.

Thanks. Both Leverkusen and Wolfsburg would be good saves but I'm convinced HSV will be a bigger challenge and therefore more satisfying!

Nice very interesting :))

Thank you

So I'm through my friendlies now and into the season. Haven't been able to shift Carmona. He's now looking for a club himself. Our first match was the DFB-Pokal first round clash away to Duisburg. We were without Lasogga after he picked up a knock in our last friendly. Nonetheless we eased through 2-0 with Rudnevs and Muller scoring.

After that match Tolgay Arslan came to me saying he wanted to go to Hoffenhein unless I made him a key player, built the team around him and gave him a pay rise. I can't give him a pay rise so told him no. He kicked off big time so I immediately offered him out. After some negotiations he was on his way to Hoffe for £2.5m. Good riddance, this team doesn't need bad influences. A replacement was obviously needed. I identified Ruben Jensenn from Kaiserslautern as one who fulfilled my needs at the right price. I got him for £2.1m (most of it over 48 months) and at the same wage Arslan was on.

I've thus far failed to find a right back to supplement Diekmeier so Ashton Gotz from HSV II is in the first team squad although I really hope I don't have to use him much. There's still a few days of the window left so my search continues. Also up from HSV II to provide emergency cover is CB Kim Dong-Su until Rajkovic or Kacar are fit.

This is how my squad depth and roles look:

GK/DEF: Adler/Drobny

DR/FB-Support: Diekmeier/Gotz

DC/DEF: Djorou/Cleber

DC/DEF: Westermann/Dong-Su

DL/FB-Attack: Jansenn/Ostrzolek

DMCR/DEFMID-DEF: Behrami/Jiracek

DMCL/DLP-SUPPORT: Jensenn/Steinmann

MR/WINGER-ATTACK: Muller/Beister/Stieber

ML/WINGER-SUPPORT: Ilocevic/Green/Stieber

AMCR/SHADOW STRIKER: van der Vaart/Holtby

STCL/DLF-SUPPORT: Lasogga/Rudnevs

Another decision I made which I'll add to the OP is that I've removed Djorou as Vice-Captain and given it to Westermann. No one moaned.

My only other issue is Jansenn has asked to leave for Leverkusen as they're offering CL football. I've told him if the right bid comes in he can go. As yet NO bid has come in.

More updates soon.

I have also started a save. I must say it's quite challenging. No transfer budget, no room to maneuver, and you can't really sell any of the key players as you need them. Tried to sell Moreno but no one wants him.

I started out with the formation in your opening thread but injuries during pre-season made me change tactics. Behrami is out for two months, Jiracek for 7 weeks, Ilocevic 5 weeks, and then the inuries to Kacar and Beister and Green and Steinmann. Yes, quite happy with pre-season injuries. I'm glad I can field 11 men and some substitutes.

I'm now playing a 4-1-2-2-1 with AMCs:

GK - Adler/Drobny

FBR - Diekmeier/Gotz

CDR - Westermann/Cleber

CDL - Djourou/Morena

FBL - Jansen/Ostrolek

DM - Arslan

ML - Stieber

MR - Mueller/Beister

AMCL - Holtby

AMCR - RvdV

ST - Lasogga/Rudnevs

As for the captaincy, I gave Westermann the captaincy back and made Behrami vice captain. The other two simply were not captain material.

Finished with friendlies and beat Offenbach 7-0 in the first round of DFB Pokal. Up next to start the Bundesliga season is Dortmund then Augsburg.

I have also started a save. I must say it's quite challenging. No transfer budget, no room to maneuver, and you can't really sell any of the key players as you need them. Tried to sell Moreno but no one wants him.

I started out with the formation in your opening thread but injuries during pre-season made me change tactics. Behrami is out for two months, Jiracek for 7 weeks, Ilocevic 5 weeks, and then the inuries to Kacar and Beister and Green and Steinmann. Yes, quite happy with pre-season injuries. I'm glad I can field 11 men and some substitutes.

I'm now playing a 4-1-2-2-1 with AMCs:

GK - Adler/Drobny

FBR - Diekmeier/Gotz

CDR - Westermann/Cleber

CDL - Djourou/Morena

FBL - Jansen/Ostrolek

DM - Arslan

ML - Stieber

MR - Mueller/Beister

AMCL - Holtby

AMCR - RvdV

ST - Lasogga/Rudnevs

As for the captaincy, I gave Westermann the captaincy back and made Behrami vice captain. The other two simply were not captain material. Those injuries suck. Interesting captaincy decision, was there any outrage from VDV or any other players?

Finished with friendlies and beat Offenbach 7-0 in the first round of DFB Pokal. Up next to start the Bundesliga season is Dortmund then Augsburg.

Nice one getting Rafa and Holtby in the same team. Interesting captaincy decision, was there any moaning from Rafa or other players?

Great O/P well done.

I am curently into my second season half way through. First season finished a respectable 8th and currently 7th after 17 games of second season.

Very tough save as finances crash after pre season and you are guaranteed to go seriously into the red....Believe i was around £20m after first season.

Mainly relied on loan signings and free transfers.....Must sign Praet on a free after first season, been incredible for me in the second season (Top Performer)

Brought in Origi, Kalas, Van Ginkel on loan for second season and purchased Lacina Traore for a bargain £1.4 million January first season along with perruzi for £3m and Marko Pjaca for £1.2m.

Second season pre season only permanent signing was Kirchoff at CB for £2.5m

Team currently as follows:

GK Adler

LB Jannsen

RB Peruzzi

CB Kirchoff

CB Tah

CM Behrami

CM Praet

RM Muller

AML Van Ginkel

ST Lasogga

ST Origi

Overall i now have good squad depth, staff well sccomplished so looking to kick on from now but finances still very tight, although there are two of the 5 loans finishing in 2016 so hopefully will relieve some of the pressure on finances.

Great team to be Hamburg, great league where there are 6-8 top teams all vying for the European spots.

Will continue to post my progress :)

Enjoy fellow Hamburgers

Just managed to purchase Fabian Scharr from Basel for £3.5m to partner Kirchoff at heart of defence. Also loaned in Zakkari Bakalli.

Transfer window just slammed shut in January so its these players until the end of the season.

Currently 7th looking to get 6th and a place in Europe which would hopefully help improve finances.

Two of the five crippling loans run out in June 2015 so will be improving on the finances front which is a big relief.

Will post a few pictures of squad etc once i have completed second season.

Hmmm hadnt really noticed that, will check it out later tonight. Will be saving aprox £750K from the two ending in June 2016 but still leaves three hefty payments and the (pointed out) chairman loan.

Expected the first few years to be tough financially, just trying to pick the odd good free transfer up and loan signings etc to make me compete....Title challenging will be way off for at least 5 years IMO Bayern & Dortmund are simply too strong and have a wealth of financial muscle behind them.

Here is a quick update after 8 games played:

After initial injuries and attempting my 2 AMC formation that I mentioned in the previous post I went back to the drawing board and changed the formation back to the 4-2-2W-1-1 formation which has been working quite well so far.

GK(SKd): Adler/Drobny

FBL(FBs): Jansen/Ostrzolek

CDL(CDc): Djourou/Cleber

CDR(CDd): Westermann/Morena/Dong-Su

FBR(CWBa): Diekmeier/Gotz

DML(RPs): Arslan/Holtby

DMR(DMd): Cigergi/Kacar (should be Behrami/Jiracek when they are back from injury)

ML(Wa): Zoltan/Ilicevic

MR(WPs): N Mueller/Beister

AMC(T): VdV/Holtby

ST(AF): Lasogga/Rudnevs/Beister

Holtby has been outstanding for me so far and would have displaced VdV if I had all my players fit. As they weren't I needed a roaming playmaker sitting deep and Holtby has been interpreting that role greatly. Lasogga hasn't played well at all, with Rudnevs being wasteful in front of goal. For the last games I brought in Beister as my striker due to his pace and because he wanted more first team football.

Now on to the games and results:

August

DFB Pokal (1st round?)

Offenbach vs. HSV: 0-7 (Lasogga 8, Holtby 16, 36, pen 90+2, Djourou 19, 45+2, 63). Easy game in which we dominated.

Bundesliga

Game 1: Dortmund vs. HSV: 2-4 (VdV 26, Rudnevs 74). Dortmund dominated my counter tactic and I couldn't keep up with Ramos' pace. I went attacking after going 2 goals down and got 2 back but a draw or win wasn't ever likely.

Game 2: HSV vs. Augsburg: 2-1 (Holtby 90+2, N Mueller 90+4). What a game! We were evenly matched with VdV having the chance to convert a penalty at 44th min. I was devastated when he missed it. I subbed him and Lasogga off at the half-time mark and brought on Holtby and Rudnevs who changed the game. Nonetheless we couldn't convert but Augsburg did in the 84th min. I went attacking again and it was amazing. Holtby with a free kick in the 92nd min followed by Nikolai Mueller picking up an amazing cross from Ostrzolek to tap it in. Amazing come back.

September

Game 3: HSV vs. Koln: 0-0. A bore draw. Either side could have scored but didn't. They had a slight edge.

Game 4: Hoffenheim vs. HSV: 1-0. Szalai got a header in the 54th min and they were the better team throughout.

After this game I decided to change my tactics to the one described above and haven't looked back since.

Game 5: Paderborn vs. HSV: 1-3 (VdV pen 68, 76, pen 86). The game in which VdV redeemed himself. I think he's enjoying the Trequartista role. It looks like we got lucky with penalties but we really dominated them. The penalties show the frustration from Paderborn.

Game 6: HSV vs. Frankfurt: 4-1 (Kacar 11, Zoltan 29, Diekmeier 61, Russ o.g. 77). It started out badly with Russ converting a corner. But then 2 assists from Beister as striker got us back into the game after some melee in the penalty area of Frankfurt saw Kacar finally put the goal past Trapp. Zoltan and Diekmeier were outstanding. Kacar was also finally back and he's really added quality over Cigerci at DMd.

October

Game 7: Hannover vs. HSV: 0-2 (Djourou 55, 85). A tough game with Djourou capitalizing on mistakes during set pieces. Jiracek made an appearance as a sub but he's again injured for a couple of weeks. Behrami should almost be back and so is Rajkovic. I am almost back to a full team.

League Table after 7 games

Position/Team/Points

1 Dortmund 19

2 Wolfsburg 18

3 Bayern 15

4 Stuttgart 14

5 Hoffenheim 14

6 HSV 13

7 Leverkusen 12

8 Schalke 11

9 BMG 10

10 Mainz 9

Contracts & Squad Management

I was alerted by my Ast. Man. that several contracts are expiring end of the season. I was unable to offer anyone a new contract as we were in the reds for wage budget but Wolfsburg came in and offered one of my youths a contract and he accepted and transferred and I got a EUR 800k compensation. Since I couldn't stop it I shifted the budget (at least we get 100% of all transfer revenues received) to my wage budget and offered Arlsan a contract till 2019 which he accepted. He seemed like the youngest with the most potential and a possible key player so I tied him down. I would love to offer some of the others new contracts but there are no funds. Quite challenging. I am scouting around for cheap replacements just in case. I also hope the board makes EUR 6mn available at the end of the season to sign Holtby.

The squad is actually quite good. The wingers are excellent, the full backs are great, the defenders decent, as well as the goalkeepers. Even the defensive midfielders are quality. The striker position is the only one I feel we can really improve. Lasogga isn't bad but he hasn't performed yet and he is injury prone according to my reports. He also takes time to become fit. Rudnevs works hard but he's no goal scorer. Beister might be the future there as I am happy with my wingers otherwise. Probably need to look into new center backs due to Westermann's age but Tah might be someone who can take over.

I have also looked at your signings Ollmeister1. Maybe I can pick one or the other up. Just really curious if we get any transfer budget and in what amount.

I think top 10 is definitely doable and if you're lucky pushing for Europa League.

Let's see how it goes.

Thats a good start Tyro :thup:

Interesting that you're using VDV as TQ. He's not performing for me at all as Shadow Striker so I may switch his role.

Just to note I'm in November and the board have cut the amount I get from transfers to 60% due to worsening finances. It's going to be tight! I am however sitting 1st after 11 games. The team is not scoring loads but is defensively sound. In recent games I've pushed my DMC's into MC's to give a bit more forward threat.

Very nice. First. Good work. Did you play Dortmund and Bayern yet? If you did, you are in a great position.

Yes, VdV is great as a TQ. I was really going to drop him completely but since I changed tactics he has arrived. I like the 4-4-1-1 (deep) that I am playing now because the roaming playmaker has so much space in the middle to pick out his passes and initiate attacks as well as the TQ roaming around to take his chances. I was thinking about a more attacking real 4-4-1-1 (with MCs) when I have to score and might try that out.

Reduction in the transfer revenue percentage is bad news. However, I think some oldies will go at the end of the season freeing up wage budget to renew, hopefully in time, with some key players and bring in some new good ones.

I am actually quite enjoying struggling with that. You can't just scout the best players and get them in. You need to look for bargains.

Very nice. First. Good work. Did you play Dortmund and Bayern yet? If you did, you are in a great position.

Yes, VdV is great as a TQ. I was really going to drop him completely but since I changed tactics he has arrived. I like the 4-4-1-1 (deep) that I am playing now because the roaming playmaker has so much space in the middle to pick out his passes and initiate attacks as well as the TQ roaming around to take his chances. I was thinking about a more attacking real 4-4-1-1 (with MCs) when I have to score and might try that out.

Reduction in the transfer revenue percentage is bad news. However, I think some oldies will go at the end of the season freeing up wage budget to renew, hopefully in time, with some key players and bring in some new good ones.

I am actually quite enjoying struggling with that. You can't just scout the best players and get them in. You need to look for bargains.

Yeah I've played Bayern away and put on defensive masterclass to draw 0-0. Played Dortmund at home and they got a scrappy equaliser in 1-1 draw. Only loss was to Leverkusen and it's the only game we haven't really competed in. I can't see us staying in 1st place but I'll enjoy while it lasts.

I definitely recommend using the MC's when you want more offense, I'll keep the DMC formation for tough games.

I think the financial struggles are what will make this a real challenge.

I have now played 13 games and things haven't gone well. Will post a more detailed update later.

Don't worry about vdv. It's probably better to let him go. He's not that amazing. I'd rather have Holtby.

Yeah but I love VDV IRL. I shouldn't let it affect FM, but it's hard not to. TBH though Holtby has been much better.

Yeah but I love VDV IRL. I shouldn't let it affect FM, but it's hard not to. TBH though Holtby has been much better.

I know what you mean. I want him to do much better. I want him to be a game changer. I want him to put in that corner or that free kick or give the killer pass or bury that long shot. But he usually doesn't in the game. He has been much better as a TQ but Holtby is the game changer. He makes the goals I need. He makes the passes. Although it didn't help much lately. Without giving too much away after 13 games I'm at 15 points. I was at 13 points after 7 games :(

And we aren't playing badly. Just unlucky.

2014-15 Season Review

Well, what can I say? This season went way better than I could have ever imagined. Here's how the Bundesliga finished:

1Bundesliga201415_zps9e708afe.jpg

At the start of the season 3rd was no more than a pipe dream, but having led the league at the winter break and in fact having a 5 point lead over Bayern in March, 3rd was a bit of a let down. Just before winter we won 10 games in a row, then between end of March and early May we went 10 games with only 1 win to slide from the top of the table.

We went out of the DFB-Pokal in the 3rd round, going down 2-1 to Frankfurt. This was the game that precipitated our crash in form.

Team stats:

201415Seasonstats_zpse8108957.jpg

Nicolai Muller and Lasogga were both unstoppable before Christmas but both struggled after the break. Valon Behrami and Ruben Jensenn were outstanding in central midfield. Lewis Holtby took the AMC position and kept team skipper Rafa van der Vaart out of the starting line up. At the back, Rene Adler was formidable while Djorou and Westermann formed a great partnership. Ostrzolek meanwhile nailed the left back role for his own keeping Marcell Jansen out the team for most of the year.

League stats:

1Bundesliga_Stats201415_zps46d6b27f.jpg

Awards:

Nicolai Muller got 3rd in the Players Player of the Year poll. I got both Coach of the year awards. We had 3 players in the team of the year: Heiko Westermann, Ruben Jensenn and Lewis Holtby.

Contracts:

Mine was extended in November for another 2 years. I extended Westermann, Marcell Jansenn and Ilocevic early on. I eventually got VDV signed to a new deal, 2 years at only £50k pw. Djorou and Drobny both got extensions at the end of the season.

Moving forward:

For our CL campaign, we will obviously have very little money to spend so I'll be looking for a bargain at right back and hoping to get a permanent deal for Holtby as well as a better striker support for Lasogga. Max Beister and Zoltan Steiber are both unhappy at the club so if I can raise some extra funds for them I'll be looking for support in the wing areas too.

All in all a fantastic season that also saw me turn down the Man Utd job in March when van Gaal was sacked. Champions League here we come!

EDIT: We were named as overachievers of the season whilst Ruben Jensenn was named signing of the season. Tolgay Arslan was named worst signing of the season, that'll teach him. Valon Behrami was named HSV fans player of the year, the right choice.

Wow. Congratulations on 3rd. That was really impressive. Good luck in the champions league.

The board also gave me a two year contract extension because we're doing so well - I guess they're happy with 9th and losing 3 in a row with 2 draws. My team is playing well but unlucky. I think they're without confidence as I see so many woodwork shots and the other keeper saving. There was really only one game were we got completely punshed in the face. Other than that the opponent was mostly equal or we were even better but they got a lucky corner goal or a long shot that went in.

Now in December and I want to see if I can turn things around then I'll post an update after first half of the season.

Any suggestions for instructions etc? Not got off to the best start, did well in the friendlies, but its been a real struggle since the start of the season.

Cup:

Stuttgart Kickers (a) L 3-1

League:

Frieburg (a) L 2-1

Augsburg (h) D 2-2

Koln (a) L 2-0

Borussia Dortmund (h) W 1-0

Wolfsburg (h) L 3-0

Any suggestions for instructions etc? Not got off to the best start, did well in the friendlies, but its been a real struggle since the start of the season.

Cup:

Stuttgart Kickers (a) L 3-1

League:

Frieburg (a) L 2-1

Augsburg (h) D 2-2

Koln (a) L 2-0

Borussia Dortmund (h) W 1-0

Wolfsburg (h) L 3-0

I started out using the formation in the OP, but soon switched the DMC's to MC's (one as CM/DEFEND and the other DLP/SUPPORT). I've also changed the AMC to TQ. Mentality was changed to standard. Team instrucions were: Retain possession/pass into space/work ball into box/close down more/play out of defence.

Hey fellas..

Just got onto my fav. team to manage on FM.

I started out renewing alot of contracts as I tried the beta and found out that the likes of Jansen, Arslan, Beister and Diekmeier have 1 or 2 years left, so i have managed to get all of em to sign new deals :D Jansen took to after the transfers window but there never came a offer from Leverkusen as i hoped.

Illicevic and Jiracek went out as I didnt like there wages to what they would contribute with.

In I got Joel Campell to have more options (and as a panic buy - couldn´t get through the window without bringing anyone in could I?)

My 1st team as it is now are:

GK: Adler

WBr: Diekmeier

CBr: Cleber/Djourou

CRl: Westermann

FBl: Jamsen

MCr: Arslan

MCl: Berami

AMr: Beister

AMc: Vdv

AMl: Müller

ST: Lassogga

So far its going great - only got to the end of oct. but im at 2nd place just behind Bayern ofcourse.. Lassogga and Beister are my weapons with both netting 9 times in 10 matches :)

Just started season three....Finished a respectable seventh last season and made it through to the Europa league group stages.

Some good quality signings in pre-season consisting of Coric & Ivanovic on loan, Sascha Horvath £5.5m along with managing to re-sign Origi, Bakkali on loan for a further season.

Been handed a tough Europa league group but finances look to be improving so thats a possitive sign.

Edgar555 congratulations on 3rd....great achievement.....I played great last season for seventh do 3rd is remarkable.

Thanks Ollmeister :thup:

I hope it's not a case of too much too soon and expectations rising.

I've made a number of signings on frees:

GK Nicola Leali

DRC Micah Richards

M/AMC Leandro Paredes

M/AMRLC Roberto Perreyra

AMC/ST Eduardo Vargas

I've also got Julian Green on loan again.

Beister & Stieber both went after wanting out.

Real want Nicolai Muller and I've told him he can go for the right money. So far they haven't offered enough.

My CL group is Benfica, Zenit & Ajax. Progress is not expected by the board but that group makes it possible.

Finances are improving due to CL and spending nothing on transfers.

Muller has release clause in contract for £8.5m unless you hav renewed of course?

Had the chance of signing Vargas, Paredes, Richards etc but turned them all down....Lokking to try and keep a very German/Eastern European feel to my squad as i think that suits the Hamburg way.

My current looking team/squad with selected highlight possible replacements when needed

GK Adler

DL Jansenn

DR Ivanovic/Perruzzi

CB Kirchoff

CB Scharr/Tah

DMCR Behrami

MCL Ajerr/Praet

MR Pjaca/Muller

AML Bakkali/Porath

AMC Horvath/Coric

SC Origi/Lasogga

I started out using the formation in the OP, but soon switched the DMC's to MC's (one as CM/DEFEND and the other DLP/SUPPORT). I've also changed the AMC to TQ. Mentality was changed to standard. Team instrucions were: Retain possession/pass into space/work ball into box/close down more/play out of defence.

Cheers, trying that but still struggling:(

Muller has release clause in contract for £8.5m unless you hav renewed of course?

Had the chance of signing Vargas, Paredes, Richards etc but turned them all down....Lokking to try and keep a very German/Eastern European feel to my squad as i think that suits the Hamburg way.

My current looking team/squad with selected highlight possible replacements when needed

GK Adler

DL Jansenn

DR Ivanovic/Perruzzi

CB Kirchoff

CB Scharr/Tah

DMCR Behrami

MCL Ajerr/Praet

MR Pjaca/Muller

AML Bakkali/Porath

AMC Horvath/Coric

SC Origi/Lasogga

I'd like more Germans but there's not enough free/cheap good ones.

Madrid offered 8m for Muller and only 1m was upfront so I negotiated up but they walked away. I'll offer him a new deal and try to raise his minimum release.

Yes, young German talent costs a lot of money....I have just signed the young Hoffenheim LB Jeremy Toijan for £5.5m German/Croation nationality....Trying to sign Niklas Sule but Hoffenheim want a fortune for him.

Muller is decent but not top class....I signed Pjaca and hes been great and was cheap...check him out.

Im looking to offload Muller for around £8m if i can and replace with Serge Gnabry from Arsenal.

Aghhhhhh. Player interaction sucks.

Behrami gets sent off in our 2nd game of the season so I warn him. His first game back from suspension he gets sent off. I fine him 1 week. He's upset & tells me it's unfair. I told him I was being inconsistent. The very next match (different competition so not suspended) he's sent off within 12 minutes. I fine him again. He's upset and wants to leave because I broke my promise. I never promised not to fine him. Now my best player is unhappy and wants to leave. Great. Grrrrrr.

Hope you get the points!

I didn't:( sacked after getting 2 points in 4 games - annoyingly I should have won the two I drew as in the 1st I was 1-0 and Frieburg got a 95th penalty, and in the 2nd I was 1-0 up to Koln, and they scored in the 93rd minute:( I then had to go to 2nd place Dortmund needing a win.

I didn't:( sacked after getting 2 points in 4 games - annoyingly I should have won the two I drew as in the 1st I was 1-0 and Frieburg got a 95th penalty, and in the 2nd I was 1-0 up to Koln, and they scored in the 93rd minute:( I then had to go to 2nd place Dortmund needing a win.

Ah bad luck man. That sucks.

Are you going to go again as HSV or move on in your save?

Archived