"Moves Into Channels"

Isn't the internet a wonderful place for obtaining conflicting views and disinformation.

In FM terms, we have both a PPM and a PI entitled "Moves Into Channels" which I am attempting to establish precisely what this means.

From my own real life footballing brain, I have a fairly good idea what this involves for both vertical and horizontal channels.

However for FM tactics I am finding all sorts of (mis)information on the topic - some of it marries up with my real life understanding, some of it doesn't - so I would really like a definitive answer to the following :

1) In game, if a player already has the PPM there would be no need to give him the TI? Common sense tells me "no need" but internet searching provides both "yes" and "no" answers. :p

2) In game, is "Moves Into Channels" (as a I suspect) solely for vertical movement? Or does it also elaborate into horizontal channel running?

3) Here's the big one - in game, where is the movement? For me, channels are "usually" defined as being the space between fullbacks and central defenders which attacking players can exploit to either create more space behind them by drawing off defenders, thus allowing other runners in behind, or to receive through balls themselves. However, internet searches for the FM definition throws up all sorts of weird and wonderful answers.

So, assuming we are only talking about vertical channels for a second, if a player has this PPM or TI, will they be looking to run the channel between a fullback and a centre back only? Or would they also (instead?) look for space between 2 central defenders? Obviously this relates to where the opposition plays 4 at the back - what about against opponents playing 3 central defenders? Where are the channels then? Between the 3 CDs or further out wide between the outside CDs and the wingbacks? (which would potentially cause strikers to play extremely wide if that is the channel they are running).

Thanks.

1. A PPM is a tendency whereas the TI is more of an instruction. If a player has the PPM but no TI is applied, he still won't Move Into Channels as much as a player with no PPM but where the TI is applied.

2. It's more about channel running. The label is a bit poor. It amounts to dragging defenders wide to create a space for an onrushing midfielder / strike partner to exploit. It doesn't just mean moving the DCs as it can be across the defensive line.

3. See above.

Essentially it means central players moving into wider areas more often than they would without the PI or PPM. That's what it amounts to. A larger horizontal area of influence for the player, if you will.

2) In game, is "Moves Into Channels" (as a I suspect) solely for vertical movement? Or does it also elaborate into horizontal channel running?

I believe it's a horizontal movement into a vertical space.

I think here we're talking about the vertical channels between the Dc's and the fulbacks (for example between the DCr and the right fullback), where a forward could run and drag away one or both of them disrupting the defensive line, in my opinion that's surely a vertical movement.

So IN other words if you have a IF on either side and your ST is being told to move into channels he is effectively creating the gap for the iside forward to cut inside to?

Possibly, though the specific example you give I'd be worried about the ST and the IF coming inside sometimes occupying the same space.

You might use "into channels" with an AM tucked in behind who can drive into the space created by the striker's movement.

Or, just as a partnership. I have a successful 5 (with WBs)-3 (inc AP in the AM position) - 2 formation. The AP(a) in behind a CF(s) and an AF(a) - I always have one of those two going into channels just to create space and provide the AP with more passing options.

I was going to ask regarding this,. IRL as a striker myself (many moons ago)!! the channels would be pulling wide to create space with the idea that you pull a defender with you. However you would generally "bend your run" thus moving horizontally but then finding the space vertically as well if you see my meaning? Little bit like a 200 metre runner coming off the bend of the track. However as picked up on here the instruction suggests "vertical movement" which may be more akin to a quick shuttle run dash between centre back and full back.

Some of my strikers tend to be more "offside" with "move into channels" ticked so I suspect that my be due to the vertical movement and possibly what role they use. Certainly I noticed it with an attacking forward which is obviously attack duty. I don't think that the ME recognises the idea of bending a run yet although it is one of the first things I used to coach kids to stop them being offside. One of the best players I have seen IRL to bend their run and use the channels is Luis Suarez when he was at Liverpool. Absolutely fantastic movement.

I did have a little success using the instructions with a more static forward and having the instruction applied to the shadow striker in a 4411, however the idea didn't last long as defending in FM14 to me is tough enough with a DM in your team let alone a flat midfield!!!

So IN other words if you have a IF on either side and your ST is being told to move into channels he is effectively creating the gap for the iside forward to cut inside to?

I think it's also one benefit. You can see this kind of movement if you watch some of Messi goals and assist in Barcelona. Although, the player who moves into channels not necessarily described as ST. Messi will cut inside and usually pedro will move into channels, leave the defender with two options. If he let pedro from his marking, Messi with his creativity and passing skills will make through ball toward pedro. If he choose to mark and follow pedro, messi will continue his dribble because the spaces are available

Archived