Official places you can buy and get beta

I can't 100% answer the question but I would assume that if you pay for the download instead of the disc then you will be able to play the beta when it is released. I have paid for mine on steam and I 100% know that I will get a code for the beta because it is advertised on there.

I'm pretty sure that everyone will end up having to download. The disk version ends up just being a physical version of purchasing it on Steam, and you still need to download.

Not every place will offer the beta, there were problems with that last year. Like Kriss says, there is no list yet, but there will be once we actually have a release date I imagine.

I'm pretty sure that everyone will end up having to download. The disk version ends up just being a physical version of purchasing it on Steam, and you still need to download.

actually, I'm pretty sure the disk offers the physical copy of the game

it still needs to authenticate through steam,

but if you've got an internet cap (say if you live on your own and you don't use the internet much), then it's the way to go

you install the files from the disk to the harddrive (like how it was pre-steam) and then you merely authenticate with a product key

Its not quite as simple as that- yes, the disc will download some of the game files, but the final part of the files download is only held on steam, so there is still a substantial file download before the authentication process. It would be smaller that the full steam download, though.

Archived