Players not getting called up for national team

I believe there is a problem with some players not getting called up to their nation team and I think it has got to do with player reputation playing too big a role in player selection.

I have many examples of this for my current save with Nottingham Forrest who have won the league three times in a row,just lost a champions league final and have a worldwide reputaion.

Examples

Morgan Schneiderlin- France: He has excellent stats (some of the best I've seen for his position), has continental reputation and is my captain yet he has 0 caps. His value is also too low, it is below 10mil.

Zavjalov(Regen) - Russia: One of the best goalkeepers in the game and will be the best goalkeeper in the world. Even though he gets called up he doesnt start matches when he is clearly Russias best keeper in every aspect.

Andrew Beresford(Regen) - England: He burst onto the scene while I was manager of England (at this time he played for Chelsea ) so I always called him up. He won the English Young Player of the Year Award and I then bought him and he has worldwide reputation at only 21 years of age. However my problem is that the coach that givesme a potential squad never includes him in it. (This one cant be a case of reputation because players with lower reputation are in the suggested squad)

Ryan Harbottle(Regen) - England: He scored 34 goals at 17 years of age in his first full season for my team yet he never got called up to the England squad once. The players that kept him out where Sturridge and Welbeck who scored about 15 goals at most between them. Rooney was in Man Utds U21s due to a drastic drop in stats so he rightly wasnt considered for England. Harbottle got his first cap at 19 years of age even though he scored the most goals out of any English player for 2 full seasons prior to the call up.

Jamie Paterson - England: Quite good stats and scored 15 goals in the league for two seasons in a row from left wing yet never got called up. He has better stats and form then other players that were getting called up such as Zaha. Once I became England manager I called up, however the press kept on saying I should have called Zaha up instead even though Zaha hardly ever plays for his club (PSG). Jamie Paterson has now scored 7 goals in 9 apps from left wing for England yet the media still say Zaha should have been picked instead

Januzaj - Belguim: Rarely got called up until he was about 24 despite being one of the top 2 number 10's in the world. Now he does get regurlarly called up. Also I dont understand why he doesnt have worldwide reputation, when he scored 30 goals and 24 aasists last season (he regularly gets a large amount of goals and assist), regualrly wins the english player of the year award and is clearly one of the best players in the world.

If this only occured with one or two players then I would understand but this has happened to too many players.

Reputation does play a significant role in callups in FM but then it does IRL as well to some extent. I would like to see it toned down a little though so others players get a chance easier.

You haven't said what year you are in but for me in 2023:

Schneiderlin - 34 caps, didn't get called up regularly until he was around 28yo. Bit of a fringe player starts in some games but at least half of his caps have come from the bench.

Januzaj - Didn't turn out to be that good in my save and is a fringe player for Hoffenheim in the German 1st Division. He got 39 Belgium U21 caps but then switched nationality (Didn't get picked for full squad) to Albanian where he has picked up 30 caps in the last four years.

@TubewayArmy78 I want my players to get called up because I like to see players that I nurtured have great careers. Injuries are the downside to this but that is part of football. It also makes the game more realistic.

@Cougar2010 I am in 2019

Schneiderlin - 0caps

Januzaj - 21 caps

Yes it should be toned down a bit. Espeially when a player that has high reputation but rarely plays for his club gets picked instead of players with lower reupatation but plays consistently well for their club. Maybe reputation should increase and decrease faster. If I remember correctly in wasnt until Harbottle was 19 that he got contintental reputation. At 17 or 18 he scored the 3rd most goals in europe yet had national reputation. The

Also the Andrew Beresford example is very odd since he has worldwide reputation yet is never in the potential squad.

Also the Andrew Beresford example is very odd since he has worldwide reputation yet is never in the potential squad.

2018/19 was around the time Schneiderlin started getting into the squad in my save so you may see him start getting picked unless France have had some good newgens appear in his position.

For Beresford what position does he play? Is it a position not used by the national team? What players are getting picked ahead of him?

2018/19 was around the time Schneiderlin started getting into the squad in my save so you may see him start getting picked unless France have had some good newgens appear in his position.

For Beresford what position does he play? Is it a position not used by the national team? What players are getting picked ahead of him?

Im in 2019/2020 and hopefully Schneiderlin does get picked soon, either way SI need to look at his.

Beresford plays CAM and also CM, these positions are used and I am the national team manager so I do pick him. The problem is that he is not in my coaches potential squad. Makes me think he wouldnt have a cap if I wasnt manager.

Players that were in the last potential squad ahead of him are Will Hughes(one of my players), Nathaniel Chalobah, George Thorne(Plays for Man City but look for him in your save, he really isnt that good), Ross Barkley, James Ward-Prowse and Jack Wilshere.

Players that were in the last potential squad ahead of him are Will Hughes(one of my players), Nathaniel Chalobah, George Thorne(Plays for Man City but look for him in your save, he really isnt that good), Ross Barkley, James Ward-Prowse and Jack Wilshere.

I can't say I'm surprised tbh, most are talented younger RL players who are expected to go and represent England in the future. Real players do seem to get an advantage over newgens when it comes to callups.

In my save Wilshere is falling away from the England squad at 30yo which isn't a surprise given his injuries but he has picked up 70 odd caps along the way. Will Hughes seems to go on to be a star in most saves and already has 74 caps while Chalobah & Ward-Prowse have become regulars in the last few seasons (Since they were around 25yo).

Thorne has done nothing of note, is relatively poor Premiership wise and is a fringe player at Newcastle while Barkley is happy warming the bench at Man City after they paid £28m for him in 2015 - Neither have any caps.

In terms of other players Milner seems to have played a big England role in my save picking up 96 caps (Last time he played was 2020 at 34yo) while Huddlestone had a spell picking up 27 caps between 2016 & 2018 whilst playing well for Metallist in the Ukraine. Henderson, Cleverley & Rodwell have been fringe players picking up 10-20 caps over the years whilst a few newgens are starting to break through most notably a 24yo DM at Arsenal who already has 30 caps.

I can't say I'm surprised tbh, most are talented younger RL players who are expected to go and represent England in the future. Real players do seem to get an advantage over newgens when it comes to callups.

Yeah I noticed that as well. I am in Ocotober and Ward-Prowse only started playing well (consistent ratings above 7.0) this season and straight away is put into the potential squad for the first time. Meanwhile Beresford has played excellently for a whole season and isnt put into the potential squad.

Im convinced Thorne was signed to meet the Premier League and Champions League quotas. Anyway George Thorne plays decent (6.8 ratings) in a few games for Man City and is put in the potential squad all the time. I think the problem is that Beresfords primary postion is CAM but I prefer and play him as a CM. Hughes and Barkleys primary position is also CAM so the ccoach has the bias towards the real life players picks two CAMs and sees thats enough players for that position so leaves Beresford out.

Its weird though because their is a quality LB 21 year old regen that moved to Man City from Tottenham yet he has hardly played for both teams butis put into the potential squad ahead of Baines who at 34/35 still starts for Everton and is one of the best LB's I have seen. I can understand this and its probably because Baines is old, but it just shows there isnt always this bias to real life players.

However lets not forget about the other players in my original post not getting picked for the national teams. Is there anyway to guarantee SI have a look at this problem or do I have to rely on a moderator showing them this thread.

Harbottle got his first cap at 19 years of age even though he scored the most goals out of any English player for 2 full seasons prior to the call up.

Wasn't Gary Hooper a similar 'in real life' case of this when he was with Celtic?

Anyway, yeah, I recall a couple of times playing that my players weren't called up when I thought they should have been. However if I am playing my DCM as a half back and the current international manager isn't playing with a half back, it's not surprising that regardless of his ratings he isn't going to get called up.

Archived