Those saves where it just doesn't work out.

So, at the moment, the save I'm running is going pretty abysmally after a promising start. And while it's always nice to read tales of success- even if it takes seasons and seasons, I was wondering if anyone would like to share the saves that have just gone completely wrong.

At the moment, my career is as follows:

2013-14 (Berwick Rangers, Scottish L2): Joined mid-season. Failed to win a game after taking over, finished rock bottom of the table.

2014-15 (Berwick Rangers, Scottish L2): Virtually an entirely new squad. Finished 3rd, promoted via the Playoffs.

2015-16 (Berwick Rangers, Scottish L1): Nondescript season, but a good streak towards the end sneaks us 4th. Lost in the Playoffs.

2016-17 (Berwick Rangers, Scottish L1): Better season, leading most of it, but missed the title by two points. Lost in the Playoffs. Contract runs out, had a few clubs sniffing around, so I figure I'll try a change of scenery.

That was a mistake.

2017-18 (Aprilia, Serie C1/C): Joined in summer. Sacked in October after no wins in the first nine games of the season, including two cup games against a lower division side.

2017-18 (Havant & Waterlooville, Skrill South): Joined in October. Rough season for injuries, called to emergency meeting in March for underperformance. Sacked after disagreeing with points target.

2018-19 (Barrow, Skrill North): Joined in July. Sacked in October after one win in first 11 games.

2018-19 (AFC Fylde, Skrill North): Joined in February after an unemployed stint, with the club 20th, in the relegation zone. Although we've closed the gap with the survival teams, so have the others around us- we now sit 21st, with five games to go. I'm not optimistic, and I'm not sure if I can sink much lower than getting relegated from the Skrill North. Who else is gonna employ me?

Haven't had a 'shocker' yet... But I am experiencing some wonderful second season syndrome on my latest file, my team are winning but putting in performances of 6.6-6.9 on average. I've no idea why... It's ridiculous. We get plenty of golden chances, open nets, so on and we keep fluffing the bloody lines and so the game marks it down as a poor rated performance only for the media to gush about how amazing the football is.

It's an exercise in frustration for me, because if they score the damn tap-ins and open goal chances we'd be running away with every game 5-0 and getting glorious ratings.

I suppose I should be happy that poor ratings is the only measure of save 'not working out' for me, but still. >.<

Osasuna - 1st season - 3rd place

- 2nd season - disaster, relegation zone

Stoke City - 1st season - 4th place

- 2nd season - again, relegation zone

Getafe - 1st season - 8th place

- 2nd season - rock bottom

I can't seem to tactically adapt to the second season. I know that teams are more cautious against me and I know, in theory, what to do, but can't execute it right.

I started a career with Magallanes in the Chile Primera B on FM12. Can't remember the exact details, but season was almost at climax with only about 8 or 9 games of the regular season left plus the playoffs. I won 1 in 11, just about surviving the playoffs, before getting sacked.

After 6 months unemployed, I got the job of Tamworth, just relegated to the Conference North. I even managed to bring one of the dual-nationality players I had signed for Magallanes over with me to link me with the old club. Over the next 20 years I took Tamworth to 3rd in the PL and into the CL before eventually taking one of the "big club" jobs offered with Arsenal, in an attempt to win the European title. It wasn't a good move.

Before FM13 I had never been sacked, but then I went through 9 clubs in 14 seasons with 7 sackings in one journeyman save on FM13. I think I was relegated from the bottom division in 5 different countries as I just couldn't get anything going tactically. My 10th job was the one where it finally (sort of) worked out as I took Wealdstone up into League One, but really on FM13 every single save was pretty awful for me as my tactics were still too primitive for the new match engine.

Before FM13 I had never been sacked, but then I went through 9 clubs in 14 seasons with 7 sackings in one journeyman save on FM13. I think I was relegated from the bottom division in 5 different countries as I just couldn't get anything going tactically.

That's interesting- I think there's something in the issue of tactical familiarity, particularly at that level. It's starting to feel like you can't just go to a club and impose your will, because the players are not professional enough to cope with a sudden change of system and "get it". Even at Berwick, it took more than six months for the side to finally start to work with the tactics as planned, and the results followed. It could just be me looking for explanations, but it's something I hadn't considered greatly.

Anyway, after a long unemployed year, I've fallen into the Altrincham job, who have promotion ambitions. That could be interesting.

That's interesting- I think there's something in the issue of tactical familiarity, particularly at that level. It's starting to feel like you can't just go to a club and impose your will, because the players are not professional enough to cope with a sudden change of system and "get it". Even at Berwick, it took more than six months for the side to finally start to work with the tactics as planned, and the results followed. It could just be me looking for explanations, but it's something I hadn't considered greatly.

Anyway, after a long unemployed year, I've fallen into the Altrincham job, who have promotion ambitions. That could be interesting.

Exactly right. They have less training time combined with poor tactical knowledge and a narrower range of skills to adapt their game.

Archived