85 matches in a season?

I am playing in the World Cup Cgampionship and our opponents in the Final are Corinthians of Brazil.

I have a look at their fixtures and there seem a lot of them so I count them.

85 matches. Is that right?

Sao Paulo State Championship (23 games).

Copa Libertadores (16 matches).

First Division (38 games).

Brazilian Cup (6 games), (and they lost in the Semi).

World Club Championship (2 games).

Is that really how many games they play in a season that lasts from 22nd Jan to 16th December?

One of their DM's made 66(6) appearances last season.

Yeah. I have a game with Sao Paolo and I'm scheduled to play well over 70 games in the calendar year. That includes a run to the Copa Libertadores QF. No cup run is factored in cos I haven't started it yet.

The state championship is a bit of a strange one. A lot of the teams in it are from the national lower divisions, have 'obscure' or 'local' reputations. I use it to play the youngsters. It's 19 league games, then play-offs for the top 8 teams. So it's not particularly competitive except for half a dozen teams.

the holiday for brazilian leagues is also really short, while with european teams its 2 months, in the brazilian league its barely 1 month which is the holiday and pre-season to which you have to stick your friendlies in somehow, the state championships start very soon, teams are grouped in the same state so there are usually very weak teams against strong ones, every state has this and it's more competitive for teams in states like Rio and São Paulo

despite the state championships being a somewhat minor competition, the fans consider it very important because there is very strong rivalry between teams of the same state here. a few of the state championships have been around for more than 100 years, which is why rivalries are so strong now, these competitions were created because the country lacked decent transportation to make a national league at the time

the state championships starts at the end of january, and ends usually at the beginning of may, this leaves a very short time to fit the league in, which starts in may also, and ends in december

these many matches and lack of holiday time can make the squad tired, but are great to develop the team since there are so many matches, and is also a good option for loans since there are so many matches and more likely for you loaned player to play more

Crazy isn't it?

Saying that, I managed 69 games in one season with Newcastle cause I kept drawing all the bloody cup games.

Ugh I used to hate that. I'd rather just be knocked out at that point.

Keep in mind the State Championship is an utterly meaningless competition where the professional clubs utterly destroy the others. They're less competitive than friendlies.

Imagine a competition in England where teams from each county played each other 20 times. You'd have Manchester United and Manchester City vs Sunday League sides, it's kinda the same thing.

Keep in mind the State Championship is an utterly meaningless competition where the professional clubs utterly destroy the others. They're less competitive than friendlies.

Imagine a competition in England where teams from each county played each other 20 times. You'd have Manchester United and Manchester City vs Sunday League sides, it's kinda the same thing.

I actually made a Brazilian style editor file which did just that, bringing "State Championships" to Britain, alongside a British league pyramid.

But yeah, like Ozzy says, you'd have a competition with Man Utd, Man City, FC United, Bury, etc, right the way down to the really amateur sides. That would happen from Autumn to Christmas if they kept the same schedule. Then you would have a full Premiership season - so 38 games - from the depths of Winter to Summer. Can you imagine the seethe around fixture congestion then?

Archived