Playing Players Out of Position

Hi everyone,

I have just decided to play FM again after awhile away. Need some insight. I am playing FM13 and I'm Aston Villa and I am thinking about playing a variation of the 4-3-3 formation.

GxS3Hf.png

I'm thinking of playing Benteke has my CF with Agbonlahor and Wiemann as the IFs but neither have AMC has a position. How would this effect there play.

If you play them so narrow you will actually stifle your CM(A) as he has no room to attack. Not much creative link in midfield despite 5 players then. On top of that, no wide men to track back. Frankly I am not sure why you would not want them at AML & AMR?

It's going to be a kind of experiment, due to it being the formation on FIFA seeing if I can replicate it in FM. I know its lack defensively out wide, Thats why I have gone for counter. Player roles may change. Like the DM going to an ANC or DM then chaging the CM(A) to a DLP(S).

It's going to be a kind of experiment, due to it being the formation on FIFA seeing if I can replicate it in FM.

FIFA is a game where only one player superheroically defends while his 10 teammates stand around ball watching. It's not really something that can be translated to real football or Football Manager where defending is based more on shape and cooperative action from all 11 players.

I know its lack defensively out wide, Thats why I have gone for counter.

I don't understand your reasoning here. If your defensive shape leaves the flanks badly exposed and you use a mentality that drops deeper by default, any attack that hits you down the flanks is going to be given a free run into the attacking third.

My thinking is (even if flawed), by dropping off and given them a free run down the flanks is: when they have the ball out wide their players will push up for the resulting cross, when or if my defence clear the ball to my midfield the direct passing should get me forward quicker than the opposition running back, hopefully the pass will be to Benteke who will hold the ball and lay it to wither Gabby or Weimann.

This is the formation I'm using at the moment, though on FM14. I've found that if I want to be a bit more defensive I instruct the AMC's to mark the opposition full backs. I've only been doing it for a about 6 games, but it seemed to work. Brought me out of my slump and made me finish strongly at the end of the season.

It's tricky though, and I'm not sure if what I'm doing is counter acting my other instructions. I set them up like this:-

AMC - Advanced Playmaker, Attack. Player instructions to Close Down More, Roam From Position, Specific Marking (opposition DR)

AMC - Attacking Midfielder, Attack. Player instructions to Close Down More, Specific Marking (opposition DL)

So I have them both on attacking, one as the playmaker getting on the ball and looking for passes and shots, and the other as an attacking midfielder, hopefully making runs into the box and getting on the end of chances. But then (and I'm hoping this is what my instructions are telling them), when I lose the ball they go defend against the opposition full backs.

You can make very effective wingerless formations in FM14, but you really need tireless, well-rounded full-backs who push up and provide width. The other thing you need is three central players on one axis (I'd recommend the M axis because of the roles available) who have the team and/or player instructions to move into lateral space and either provide passing options or cover while transitioning to defence. 4-3-1-2, 4-3-2-1, or 4-2-3-1 narrow. But good luck with the last one, because the spaces it can leave behind are gaping.

Archived