Sweeper - Libero

Cleon can (and will!) write extensively about a Libero.

He had a brilliant system last year with an attacking Libero, I'll find a link in the morning when I'm not using a tablet to type stuff....

If you use a Libero, any form of DM Role presents an issue, as he blocks the runs of the Libero.

I've not used a Sweeper much, so the impact may be less, but I suspect it would still be an issue.

Are you wanting to use a sweeper or libero? Both are different.

You can utilise a libero or sweeper in many different ways, it can be a very versatile role. In the harder games I play I like him to be more defensive minded but still get involved high up the pitch. In these type of games I expect him to have a good amount of tackles, interceptions and pick up any runners through the centre.

In the easier games I like him to be more attack minded and act as another MC morealess. This is what I love about a libero, it can free up a spare man from the back when you don't have much attacking threat to worry about from the opposition. In these games I like the libero to do more key passes and retain the ball in the oppositions half and restart attacks should they clear the ball.

The libero does a lot of things during a game and he isn't always attacking and he isn't always defensive. His play is really varied and he offers a lot to the team. I might go into more details about the libero if people are wanting and show other various games. But for now I think I'll leave it at that and focus on some of the other areas of the tactic and why it works so well.

Using a libero and a DMC regardless of how you set up won't work though because a libero needs the space. You'd be better off using a ball playing defender instead.

My old hosts didn't back my files up like we agreed they would so all the images from my Libero thread are now lost, but this was the link

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/355439-The-Yorkshireman-A-Libero-and-No-Strikers!?daysprune=-1

Hi Cleon. In another thread I'm trying to set up something similar to the 1980s Danish team using Morten Olsen as a Libero with Jens Jørn Bertelsen acting as cover for him. How would you set that up? Thinking just in terms of roles I'd think it would be a Libero-Halfback combo, but since the Halfback operates in the DM position it sounds like that's not going to work. What would your suggestion be?

Are you wanting to use a sweeper or libero? Both are different.

You can utilise a libero or sweeper in many different ways, it can be a very versatile role. In the harder games I play I like him to be more defensive minded but still get involved high up the pitch. In these type of games I expect him to have a good amount of tackles, interceptions and pick up any runners through the centre.

In the easier games I like him to be more attack minded and act as another MC morealess. This is what I love about a libero, it can free up a spare man from the back when you don't have much attacking threat to worry about from the opposition. In these games I like the libero to do more key passes and retain the ball in the oppositions half and restart attacks should they clear the ball.

The libero does a lot of things during a game and he isn't always attacking and he isn't always defensive. His play is really varied and he offers a lot to the team. I might go into more details about the libero if people are wanting and show other various games. But for now I think I'll leave it at that and focus on some of the other areas of the tactic and why it works so well.

Using a libero and a DMC regardless of how you set up won't work though because a libero needs the space. You'd be better off using a ball playing defender instead.

My old hosts didn't back my files up like we agreed they would so all the images from my Libero thread are now lost, but this was the link

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/355439-The-Yorkshireman-A-Libero-and-No-Strikers!?daysprune=-1

Just out of interest did you use the Libero in a back 3 formation?

Archived