Odd Low Memory Problem in FM2006

Hi,

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place!

Hope someone can help. I am currently in my 37th season in FM2006 (summer 2042). I have reached a point where I can't seem to continue. I click 'Continue' and the computer kicks me out of FM and says that it is dangerously low on memory and then promptly quits. I see that this is quite a common problem with all versions of FM. My laptop I'm running it on has 8GB RAM with an i3 processor and 2GB graphics, and the saved game file is 523Mb.

I thought it may be because I have background programs running taking up valuable memory, but the odd thing is that if I retire and add a new manager I can continue no problem, so I don't actually think it is a memory problem. I don't really want to retire yet as I'm 68 in the game and want to carry on until I'm 75 :)

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks. Just tried that, same result. FM kicks me out. It just doesn't want to continue with this manager. There are two Premier league fixtures on this particular day, and the game will allow me to continue if I view one of the games, but after the game has finished, I click 'continue' and it kicks me out. I'm thinking maybe there is some corrupt data or something. Like I said in my original post, once I retire, I can happily continue the game as a new user.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway. I have saved a new user game in anticipation of not being able to carry on my existing management. A bit of a comedown from winning the Champions League with Real Madrid though - started off unemployed and am now 21st in the Championship with Tranmere Rovers!

Thanks Steve, there is an option to compress saved games in the 'Preferences' section. Is that what you're referring to? I'm sure the saved game size isn't the problem though, as my troublesome game is 523Mb, but the version where I did actually retire and continued as a new user is currently 532MB and playing without any glitches. I'm becoming more convinced that it's a glitch within my original managers data, that becomes fixed once he and the offending data are removed from the game by retiring. I will however try compressing the game file and see what happens.

I would normally suggest a re-install but I've done that and the problem remains in the saved game. It may be worth a try with FM2012 but it sounds like you will probably have to start a new game from the beginning. In that respect, I'm lucky I can carry on in my game, albeit as a different manager.

I remember having a memory problem with some older version of the game on my not top of the line computer I had back then. FM would exit warning about low memory. I noticed that I ran out of space on my c: drive (or drive with operating system and where FM temp files were located) while playing FM. I freed some more space on c: and the problem was solved. Could it be that you are running low on hd space?

• 1 month later...

Archived