A Swansea fan's long running Brendan Rodgers project. LFC fans, look here.

***UPDATE***

V2 now uploaded. As a test, I decided to play half a season with Montpellier in Ligue 1. Here are some screenshots. One shows the league table, and the other is a shot of my "game status", which shows that I only saved the game once at the start (after you pick your team).

Montpellier's in-game media prediction is 12th. As you can see here, I'm leading Ligue 1 at christmas. If you follow the instructions from the original post (which follows this update), you can have great results too. Please read this thread and go through the results of other posters, who had a lot of success with it too.

Best of luck, JJ.

LgS5d.png

OnykA.png

########################################################################

Hi lads,

As a Swansea fan, I've been watching us for years. I've watched the Brian Flynn days. I've watched the Kenny Jackett days. I've watched the implementation of very attacking tactics under Roberto Martinez, very defensive tactics under Paolo Souza, and finally, a great balance of both under Brendan Rodgers. While he has taken us to a far better position than when he joined, all of these previous managers have played a part too. I've put this tactic together over the past few years.

It is a very balanced 4-3-3, that can get very similar stats to what the Swans have gotten under Rodgers. It will dominate possession against similar and weaker teams, and it will still garner a very good share of possession against stronger teams. The Swans are not like Barca; they won't get 60-70% against Manchester United. But they may get that against weaker teams in the league. Remember, we don't have half the squad of Barca, or a 100th of their budget. If you are a top team like Barca, Madrid or United, all of whom I tend to stay away from on FM, then it is entirely possible that the lion's share of possession will be yours in every game with this tactic.

Brendan played 4-3-3 for the Swans that often turned in to a 4-2-3-1, with Sigurdsson taking a more advanced role. It was Stephen Dobbie who did this while we were in the Championship.

Vorm

Rangel - Williams - Caulker - Taylor

Britton

Allen - Sigurdsson

Dyer Sinclair

Graham

If you want to use this, make sure that you prepare everything correctly. Give your players good morale by playing very weak teams at the start of pre-season, moving on to playing teams with a similar reputation as your morale improves. Get a good training schedule. Get good staff.

I have no doubt that this tactic will work for you. I've used it on this game for years, and it's evolved all the time.

This was my first full season in charge of Bologna, after joining from Benevento, who I had led to the Serie A.

qsR5N.png

PLAYER REQUIREMENTS

Goalkeeper:

As you would expect. Handling, One-on-ones, concentration, positioning, aerial ability, command of area, communication, and other relevant attributes.

Full Backs:

Players who can defend, but also go forward to an extent too. Think Neil Taylor and Angel Rangel.

Centre Backs:

Have a look at how Ashley Williams and Steven Caulker played last season. They were solid defensively, but could also pass the ball and possessed a good deal of pace.

DM:

I tend to prefer a more dynamic DM, quite unlike Leon Britton, for some reason. I like Kara from Tromso. Strong player with good tackling, marking, heading and strength. Of course, if you have somebody who is more of a deep lying playmaker, like "little Leon" is, then give it a try too. He's teetering on legendary status at our club now. He had better pass completion than Xavi at one point last season.

CM:

I like one to be more like an attacking midfielder, and one to be a more traditional central midfielder. Similar to how Gylfi Sigurdsson was attacking and Joe Allen is slightly less so for the Swans. Both can pass well, but one will have that extra scoring edge.

Wingers:

Quick, and can pass and cross well. Dyer and Sinclair for the Swans. If they can score too, like Willian from Shakhtar, then even better.

Striker:

Clinical. I had M'baye Niang a few seasons in for Bologna. He scored stupid amounts of goals (close to 50). What you're looking for is somebody who can score, but who has some pace and acceleration too. If they have some strength like Niang, even better.

Pitch Size: Standard

Give this a go. Let me know what you think. I have had such success with it, that I am entirely confident that with the right preparation, you will enjoy such success too.

DOWNLOAD:

Version 1 (Original):

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21781751/Swansea+City.tac

Version 2 (Update):

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21964211/SCFC+2.tac

Please don't upload to another FM site or share a new link.

Working really well for my promoted Aviron Bayonnais side in Ligue 2. There are a handful of 0-0 draws here and there, but the best result I had was a 3-1 victory away at the league leader's stadium. I made some adjustments to the base tactic:

Wingers: Run deep/with ball to Often

Striker: Run deep/with ball to Sometimes

Other than that, it works surprisingly well with a physically mediocre but technically adequate side. I've always admired the Swans' style of play for a recently promoted side and they have players who turn in good performances on a regular basis (I personally think Allen is a great player, vastly underrated). Who knows, maybe they can get into the Euro Cup spots next season? Anyways, quality tactic. :thup:

What match prep?

I went with Average on Teamwork all through the season, had a blip of around 6 matches towards the end of the season where we just kept drawing, but I think was due a few of players contracts coming up, just renewed them and then won the last 6 games.

Cheers for the feedback fellas, I'm glad that you're having some success with it.

Baatar: In regard to the 0-0 draws, I prefer that than to lose 4-3. I tend to go safety first, but that doesn't stop me from normally being the league's top scorers. This is probably where Swansea differ from Blackpool the most from when they were in the premiership - we defend well, getting something like 14 clean sheets last season. Hopefully it will give you stability in Ligue 2 so that you can carry on building and get up to Ligue 1. I know of Aviron Bayonnais, because the Welsh international scrum half in rugby plays for their rugby team.

Al Capone: It's not hugely important, but yes I do tend to go for left footed players on the right hand side if available. If you've got a decent right winger who is right footed, don't worry too much.

Blyzee1: Thanks for testing. I'm very pleased that another person has had the same results as I've had. Like me, you were the league's top scorer and also had least goals conceded. If you carry on with that King's Lynn team, I'm sure that it will give you good stability, and with the right signings, even push for back-to-back promotions.

Luzinho: I do the same as Blyzee1 - just keep it on average with focus on teamwork.

Once again, thanks. If anybody else tries it, please give feedback, and ask for advice if you need it.

JJ.

I'm a big fan of the system Brendan Rodgers implemented at Swansea so I thought I'd give this a go as my main tactic in a new game with Crewe Alexandra.

One of my first results was a 2-1 win away at championship side Doncaster for the first round of the League Cup, looking very promising.

Just started a new save and randomed Espanyol Barcelona. Will be using this tactic and see how it goes, already made some good signings (Sigurdsson, Canella, Pekalski).

How aree you getting along 2vA?

Wow, your preparation must be awful. You're the only one who has used this (out of many I have sent it to for feedback) that has had such a bad result.

There's always one, eh.

Wow, your preparation must be awful. You're the only one who has used this (out of many I have sent it to for feedback) that has had such a bad result.

There's always one, eh.

What would you have done; regarding preparation?

Aupa Aviron!

Results of my first season in Ligue 2:

leagueresults.png

Surprised me more than anyone else, to be honest. The only difference between the league leaders and I is only 1 point, and our goal difference is exactly the same. Almost about the same amount of draws as victories but it's a lot better than losing games (which I did enough of, mind you). It was a really tight race and I literally won promotion on the last day of the Ligue.

My top scorer:

topscorer.png

One of the strangest regens I have ever seen, let alone buy. I found him by a scout in Spain and he literally appeared out of the blue at the age of 23/24 with stats like that. No clue but I'm not complaining, because he did a nice job this season. He's also Basque, which is a nice plus. Athletic even made a cheeky bid for him, but I demanded at least 1.5 million for the likes of him.

And the player of the season:

numberone.png

I think this tactic was made especially for him. Don't let his stats fool you, he has scored and assisted at least a dozen times in all competitions. He scored the winning goal in the Coupe de la Ligue final against Lyon and he rescued my side from many would-be defeats in the league.

I probably can't produce the same results in Ligue 1, but I'll keep you updated. Classy tactic.:thup:

As I thought your post was totally absurd, I decided to play half a season with Norwich myself.

Norwich are not really suited to the tactic, and they have no transfer funds to strengthen the squad.

Nevertheless, I managed to get them to 9th in the league by the new year, confirming that the tactic is fine.

http://imageshack.us/f/69/norwichlt.png/

Seeing as you couldn't seem to read the OP and do the preparation I outlined, I'll bullet point it again.

- Match preparation is teamwork on average.

- Sack all bad staff, and get new ones in. Get a good assistant, like Tony Coton, and good coaches. Be sure to get a good fitness coach.

- Get good training schedules like Ian C's training.

- If possible, get players similar to the ones I specified.

- Make sure you can do team talks well.

- Cancel pre-arranged friendlies, and arrange friendlies with very low reputation teams, so that you beat them well and team morale is high.

- Morale is key.

If you expect better than 9th in the PL with a team like Norwich who are probably the team least suited to this tactic, and are probably the weakest team in the league along with Wigan, then you must be deluded.

Still don't rate it? Go somewhere else.

Cheers Baatar. It's good to see that you're doing well. Two consecutive promotions is a great achievement.

If you can carry on strengthening, you'll be able to consolidate your position in Ligue 1 and then maybe go higher up the league in your second season in the league. I know this because I had a save with Evian TG on last year's game, using this tactic in its earlier form.

As I thought your post was totally absurd, I decided to play half a season with Norwich myself.

Norwich are not really suited to the tactic, and they have no transfer funds to strengthen the squad.

Nevertheless, I managed to get them to 9th in the league by the new year, confirming that the tactic is fine.

http://imageshack.us/f/69/norwichlt.png/

Seeing as you couldn't seem to read the OP and do the preparation I outlined, I'll bullet point it again.

- Match preparation is teamwork on average.

- Sack all bad staff, and get new ones in. Get a good assistant, like Tony Coton, and good coaches. Be sure to get a good fitness coach.

- Get good training schedules like Ian C's training.

- If possible, get players similar to the ones I specified.

- Make sure you can do team talks well.

- Cancel pre-arranged friendlies, and arrange friendlies with very low reputation teams, so that you beat them well and team morale is high.

- Morale is key.

If you expect better than 9th in the PL with a team like Norwich who are probably the team least suited to this tactic, and are probably the weakest team in the league along with Wigan, then you must be deluded.

Still don't rate it? Go somewhere else.

I more posted it for fun; didn't realize you took so seriously...

I had 'Sunday-League Reputation' on and all the players said they didn't feel I was suitable to manage them. Therefore every form of team talk seemed to go down badly. I also let the assistant pick the team... I also didn't call up Bennet (the best CB from the reserves) and Pilkington; therefore I had either Hoolahan or JAckson at AMR. I am still quite interested in the tactic; I was wondering what you do when you face a strong team? Thats my only issue with the tactic atm :)

I'm going to give this a go as Australia. A lesser national team compared to others. As a national team you cannot set up the intensity of preparation and training schedules are not required. I do have players similar to what you suggested. I'll report back and let you know how I go.

The problem I have with Australia is that there are no quick clinical strikers. I am starting with Scott McDonald but hopefully a regen comes through who can fill this position

Finally able to make an update on my Espanyol save, all these Euro games in the evening really cut into my playing time.

I was 3rd in league behind Barca/Real but somehow my game crashed and I had no backup so that save is gone now (first time this happened to me). Sigurdsson was a monster for me along with Rochina, had a nice win streak going on but oh well...

I restarted that save now, picking Espanyol Barcelona again (randomed them the first time) and signed only Spanish players this time around and will continue to do so until I have an only Spanish squad although I probably keep Kameni for quite some time, that guy is just incredible.

Heres my fixtures so far and the current league table:

http://i.imgur.com/MaAGm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tEe0v.jpg

Very happy with the tactic so far, solid defensively and usually with the majority of possession (55%-65%). The football it produces is also quite nice to watch, it's realistic and not just focused on producing as much chances as possible like so many other tactics on here. I've really started to dislike that approach to the game, I usually watch almost all my matches in 3d and with many tactics you're not really watching football, just a barrage of CCC and then you end up with a bunch of 5-3 results with your CB's scoring 15 goals per season.

This tactic is more akin to Tic-Tac Magick for example, takes some time for the pieces to fall into place and acquire the right players but it's worth the effort. At least that's what I'm seeing so far, with almost half of the season played. Hopefully I manage to qualify for Europa League or maybe even CL and with some transfers in the next summer I'll be able to get a lot more out of this tactic.

Bonus screenshot of my game against Real Madrid, thought that was a pretty impressive performance so early in the save:

http://i.imgur.com/7dev2.jpg

Props to JJ919 for making this tactic, well done mate. I'm gonna post some updates once I finished this season.

2vA, thanks for the detailed feedback. More than anything, this is a tactic that allows you to build your team. I think you're already seeing how stable it can be. That stability leads to your team becoming a real force in even just a season or 2 after starting, if the right signings are made.

Hopefully you can keep this good form up and qualify for Europe. The CL is a real possibility too!

Cheers,

JJ.

• 3 weeks later...

Like this tactic now lol

Using it with AS Saint Etienne.

1st Season

Won the League

Won French Cup

Won Coupe de la League

2nd Season

Won the League

Won Coupe de la League

Semi's of Champions League

3rd Season

Won the League

1/4s of Champions League

Offered the job at Real Madrid.

So far played 11: won 9, drawn 1, lost 1.

Only thing I don't like are away games. We don't seem to dominate, and my team talks are fine; I use Akash's which rock!

I will give this time with my Panathinaikos and post feedback...

Already played Champions League Play Offs and eliminated Villareal which is brilliant.

And having 15 new players, and only two friendlies and two Champions Cup Qualification.

Some nice football, some nice defending, and i like your "ethical" set pieces setup...No corner cheat sh*t ;)

Hope it gives me what i am looking for so i have a nice weekend... :)

Sorry I haven't been on here for a while. I've been on holiday.

I'm glad that it's now working for you Luizinho. Those are some impressive results.

And I hope that it works for you too, HTC. I wasn't even aware that there were still corner cheats for FM! I downloaded a tactic on FM2010 which had that edge of the box corner glitch. It didn't make sense to me why people would enjoy using it. Let me know how you get off with it.

After watching the Euro 2012 final in a bar in Spain, surrounded by gleeful Spaniards, I was thinking about making a strikerless variant. I've no idea whether this type of formation will work in FM, but it can keep me occupied over the weekend. Let's see if we can get 80% possession! I'll let you know how it goes.

JJ.

I've changed the tactic slightly. I've changed the instructions for the central midfielders and some of the striker's instructions too.

This way, the midfielders seem more dangerous, and the striker links up play better and is also more dangerous.

I've just won the Serie B with Pescara (media prediction 16th, but they have a decent squad), with a clear 15 point gap between me and the team in second place. Also got to the Italian Cup final and lost 2-0 to Napoli, but both teams had 2 CCC's each. They're just a vastly superior team.

I'll put the link in the OP too.

JJ.

I just realised that the file is unavailable for some reason on gamefront, so here it is on sendspace. Hopefully it works here.

EDIT: Gamefront now working - please use that one.

I've changed the tactic slightly. I've changed the instructions for the central midfielders and some of the striker's instructions too.

This way, the midfielders seem more dangerous, and the striker links up play better and is also more dangerous.

I've just won the Serie B with Pescara (media prediction 16th, but they have a decent squad), with a clear 15 point gap between me and the team in second place. Also got to the Italian Cup final and lost 2-0 to Napoli, but both teams had 2 CCC's each. They're just a vastly superior team.

I'll put the link in the OP too.

JJ.

Would you recommend that I switch to this then?

JJ, it looks really balanced. Giving it a try in Serie A with newly promoted Torino. I have made slight tweaks though. Instructed the wingers and the ST to run from deep often.

So far... it's looking good, had a good pre-season. Defeated Bari 3-0 and Fiorentina 1-0 in my first games in Serie A, both of which are much stronger team.

One of the main things I changed in the update was the run from deep instructions. My strikers have simply not stopped scoring with run from deep on rarely. It also brings the wingers in more. I think you'll get better results with it unchanged. Just make sure that you've got a fast striker, like Jonathan Viera from Las Palmas, who I bought for my newly promoted Pescara. He's on fire.

Thanks for trying anyway.

JJ.

JJ your TM supply is set to head because of your squad strikers type or because you think it works better in combination to the other settings?

Do we have to set our target man?

And one advice...Set your Goalkeeper to Hold Up Ball...

Its a GREAT tip i saw from el_magico's latest tactic and it fits perfectly to a possession tactic like yours.

The keeper no more do rush passes when in pressure. He hold the ball, the opposition players stop pressing, and then he distributes correctly to the player you said...

73nead.png

Just wanted to show how difficult it is NOT TO concede in this ME...

All those shots that crushed the woodwork were either from 1. set piece, a set piece which led to panic or 3. a stpd throw in with a direct cross...

Anyway this tactc (v2) is the best i ve ever tryied for 12.2.2 patch...

Good possesion, Rock Defence when NOT in possesion, some beautifull hard working realistic attacking moves, and some solid performances and good results against stronger opponents...

No corner and 3 forward cheats, just pure realistic hard work!

Really struggled with this tactic with Liverpool. Was beaten away by QPR in my first game 4-0, followed by a loss to Spurs at home 2-1. I then won one in four, including a home defeat to Southampton.

My side is:-

------------Gordon---------------

Vrsaljko Rami Bocchetti Enrique

-----------Fernando--------------

-------Gerrard Nainggolan-------

J.Rodriquez---------------Suarez

------------Rondon---------------

Why am I struggling so bad? My back line has pace and passing of > 11, my midfield are all quality and work hard (only Fernando from Porto struggles for passing) and the front three are all mobile and quick.

I put Match Prep to 'High' and 'Teamwork' until it was full, then changed it down to Average. I'm puzzled, really.

Possession always seems to be at about 52-53% with lots of shots on goal, but i'm struggling to convert.

@2vA - Thanks again, hopefully you can make your Espanyol team a powerhouse of European football.

@HTC - The supply is set to head not because of the type of striker, but because I think it works well. You don't need to set your target man. I'll be sure to try your tip. I agree that sometimes the opposition get lucky goals and chances. We'll just have to grin and bear it I suppose! Thanks for the praise too!

@7.Shevchenko - I'm not sure why it's not working for you. Did you follow the OP for pre-season etc? What is your team morale like? I can't stress enough how important this is.

@Rushwood88 - Thanks for trying the tactic, and what a good team to try it with, eh?

JJ.

Archived