FM12: Genoa C.F.C. - I Rossoblu

Dexter_Morgan

Welcome to the FM12 Genoa thread

422pxgenoacfc.png

Genoa Cricket and Football Club, commonly referred to simply as Genoa, is a professional Italian football club based in the city of Genoa, Liguria. Although the athletics and cricket club was founded in 1893 by Englishmen as a British sporting club abroad, whose membership was allowed to British citizens exclusively; the footballing section of the club was opened in 1897 by James Richardson Spensley making it the oldest existing club of its kind in Italy.

During their long history, Genoa have won the Italian Football Championship nine times. Genoa's first title came at the inaugural championship in 1898 and their last was in 1923–24. They also won the Coppa Italia once. Historically, Genoa is the fourth most successful Italian club in terms of championships won.

This slew of early successes may lie at the origin of the love professed for the team by the godfather of Italian sports journalists Gianni Brera (1919–1992), who, despite having been born nowhere near Genoa, always declared himself a supporter of the team. Brera went as far as creating the nickname Vecchio Balordo (Old Fool or Cranky Old One) for Genoa.

The club has played its home games at the 36,536 capacity Stadio Luigi Ferraris since 1911. Since 1946, the ground has been shared with local rivals Sampdoria. Genoa has spent most of its post-war history going up and down between Serie A and Serie B, with a brief spell in Serie C.

The club was founded on 7 September 1893 as Genoa Cricket & Athletic Club. In its earliest years, it only competed in athletics and cricket. Since the club was set up to represent England abroad, the original shirts worn by the organisation were white, the same colour as the England national team shirt. At first Italians were not permitted to join as it was a British sporting club abroad.

FM information

fminfo.jpg

facilities.jpg

Squad

(all Ass man ratings)

Goalkeepers

Sébastien Frey (4 star)

Alessio Scarpi (2 stars)

Cristiano Lupatelli (1.5 stars)

Frey is first choice by miles, Emiliano Viviano would actually be first choice though but he is at Inter in a co-ownership deal. The way I see it is that you can either take a chance on being able to buy your half back at the end of the season or look to bring in a young keeper and make use of Frey's excellent mental stats to tutor any possible target.

Youth target

Laurentinu Branescu

Full backs

Emiliano Moretti (2.5 stars)

Luca Antonelli (3 star, 3.5 potential)

The only natural full backs in your squad are both left backs, both can be retrained to play at right back as can Mestro and Granqvist. Personally I would look at selling both players and play 3 at the back or at least sell Moretti if you go down this route and move Antonelli to left midfield as he is already accomplished there.

Possible targets

Garry Bocaly, Kévin Théophile-Catherine, Abdel El Kaoutari, Mapou Yanga Mbiwa, Lamine Gassama

Center backs

Kakha Kaladze (3.5 stars)

Dario Dainelli (3.5 stars)

Andreas Granqvist (3 stars)

Cesare Bovo (3.5 stars) (on loan from Palermo with a £4m agreed price)

Kaladze and Dainelli are both aging but could do a job for a season. If you let Kaladze go then Bovo can be bought for £1.8M straight away, however his agent will say he isn't that interested in signing so you are looking around the £30k a week mark for his wages, though he is the best defender at the club and his tutoring abilities probably would make it worth while. Sokratis Papastathopoulos is on loan at Bremen for the first season but luckily he has no agreed price, so like with quite a few positions it may be worth trying to bear with it for a year.

Possible Targets

Rafael Toloi, Sebastian Toro, Marc Munsia

Youth Talent

Diego Poleta

Youth targets

Daniele Rugani, Giuseppe Prestia

Central and attacking midfielders

Miguel Veloso (4 star)

Juraj Kucka (3.5 star, 4 potential)

Alexander Merkel (2 star 4 potential)

Felipe Seymour (2.5 star 3.5 potential)

Kévin Constant (3,5 star)

Bosko Jankovic (2.5 star) (In reserve squad)

A decent if not spectacular area of your squad though depending on your formation you may want to add a bit more depth. Veloso seems to have been toned down a little from previous years but he's still the best midfielder in your squad. Bosko Jankovic, is in your reserve squad, he isn't actually that good but he has good mental stats that would be handy for tutoring which I always take in to consideration, he can also play anywhere across the midfield so he may come in handy in an injury crisis.

Possible targets:

Pavel Mamaev, Andile Jali, Frederico Casarini, Thiago (Barcelona)

Youth talents

Simone Calvano, Simone Calvano

Wide players

Giandomenico Mesto (3 star)

Marco Rossi (3.5 star)

Valter Birsa (3 star 3.5 potential)

This area of your squad looks thin but there are plenty of players who can play out wide if you decide to invest elsewhere.

Possible targets

Oscar (Internacional), Younès Belhanda, Karim Aït Fana, Xherdan Shaqiri, Guido Marilungo

Strikers

Sebastián Ribas (2.5 star 3 potential)

Lucas Pratto (2.5 star 3.5 potential)

Danijel Aleksic (2 star 3.5 potential)

Riccardo Meggiorini (3 star)

Rodrigo Palacio (3.5 star)

Zé Eduardo (2.5 star 3.5 potential)

This is an area you are loaded with, unfortunately most of them will only ever be average and most are new signings so it will be January at the earliest before you can sell. Acquafresca is out on loan with a £5M agreed price and Destro is away with a £1m agreed price which is irritating and I expect to get neither back in the summer unless their clubs go down. In my trail run I bought Alberto Paloschi for just over £3m but that made most of the strikers unhappy so be warned there.

Possible targets

Alberto Paloschi, Vaclav Kadlec, Ante Vukusic, Jelle Vossen.

There is a lot of deadwood at the club including a lot of co-ownerships and players on or out on loan (far too many for me to go through) so the initial stage of your save may take a bit of time, I have decided to wait until January before I weed through them all as I can also get rid of some of the new players and anyone not performing in the first team rather than have to do it all twice.

Don't be fooled in to thinking there is no money, though you will have to take the loan repayments in to account I went for THF and found that you can move your budgets to allow a £25M kitty, if you are pretty confident of achieving CL football at the end of the season then spending the warchest wouldn't be disastrous at all.

Last year's thread wasn't as active as the 2010 one due to the lack of funds and the squad being quite a bit poorer than in FM10 and even though this current squad is nowhere near the quality of back then the funds should mean you are able to compete once again.

Formations

Just as in FM10 a back three looks the way to go and how I will be starting. All roles are what I think are best for the players available from the original squad. I have had a trail run before hand which was a bit of a disaster so i've altered a few team instructions and hopefully this will work out better

3-4-3.jpg

3-5-2

This is my second tactic for tough away matches

3-5-2.jpg

4-2-3-1

For those that prefer a back 4 I suggest 4-2-3-1 as it seems to be the best suited tactic if you are playing with 4 defenders

4-2-3-1.jpg

As said below in the second attempt I forgot I had unticked transfers so I haven't made any alterations to the original squad this time.

• 1 month later...

Evening lads,

Decided to make a Genoa save, with some encouragement from the creator of this thread, Dexter_Morgan. Genoa have great potential. Good infrastructure, good squad, loyal fans and, above all, a massive likeability factor. Hopefully, with me, legacalciofan and Dexter_Morgan all making Genoa saves, it will boost the interest and following of Genoa in these forums.

Hoping to get a update on here by tonight but, I'm not going to promise anything :)

FORZA GENOA!

Hello Dexter nice OP but I was wondering can you reload the photos as I am thinking of starting a save soon with Genoa .... Cheers

I can do the formations pictures within the next half hour though the 4-4-2 will be changed to 4-2-3-1 as I think it suits the team a bit better. The transfer photos were deleted though unfortunately due to the restart. I do hope that doesn't put you off :)

Evening lads,

Decided to make a Genoa save, with some encouragement from the creator of this thread, Dexter_Morgan. Genoa have great potential. Good infrastructure, good squad, loyal fans and, above all, a massive likeability factor. Hopefully, with me, legacalciofan and Dexter_Morgan all making Genoa saves, it will boost the interest and following of Genoa in these forums.

Hoping to get a update on here by tonight but, I'm not going to promise anything :)

FORZA GENOA!

Finally :D Good to have you on board Llewis

Thinking of doing a Genoa save, I want either a French or Italian one but undecided at the moment, the other thing against Genoa is that I'm a Juventus fan, and they have a pretty intense rivalary with Genoa

I hope you pick Genoa despite the rivalry Northern Gooner :D I was tempted to do a Juve save but felt it would be too easy once the first season was out of the way, another factor to take in to consideration is that Genoa's formations are probably more versatile than most European clubs which is always an attractive proposition (at least for myself) to be able to build your formation from day one rather than having to make every single transfer with the future formation in mind.

I forgot I had unticked the transfer in first window option and to be honest i've done all the training and pre-season and don't want to go through it again, so will be sticking with the original squad until January.

Finally :D Good to have you on board Llewis.

Just to let you know, my name is just Llew :) Anyway, really looking forward to this save. I'm going to make at least 3 formations. 3-4-1-2 [Home formation], 4-3-1-2 [Away Formation] and 4-2-3-1 formation. I believe those three seem to be the most suitable, for Genoa and within Serie 'A' :thup:

Don't worry, mate :)

Anyway, I've managed to increase my Transfer Budget to a healthy £8.8 million but, my wage budget has been scaled down as a consequence. This young man was a major catalyst as to why I chose Genoa too;

52alexandermerkel.png

Brilliant player; hopefully, once this season is over I will be in a financial situation where I will be able to offer a few million for AC Milan's share of him :thup:

Looking forward to hearing the results

So far, it works very well. I wouldn't say it a free-flowing formation, that's down to the way I set-up but, it's a very good tactic to go to once you've taken the lead and want to 'shut up shop'.

The formation, which plays with 3 at the back, I use is a defensive minded 3-4-1-2. I attack, the two wide men will tend to help out with the attacking-game. The front trio (AMC; ST & ST) primary job is to fasjion chances for themselves and each other. The Target Man will head the ball down to the AMC where he will then set free the Poacher on goal.

In Defence, my two central midfielders drop deep into DM positions, while the wingers tend to drop back too; this makes a 7-man stagnated defensive line. I have the most central of central defenders to 'Cover' by dropping a little deeper and to sweep up any loose balls while the centre-haves on either side push ahead, close down the ball in an aggressive manner and win the ball back. I can put ti up for download, if you like, to use or to just look at :)

Monthly Update coming up...

genoafocus.png

Monthly Update ~ Pre-Season and September;

Hello and Welcome to my first update of my Genoa CFC save. So far, I've enjoyed it. I love to lead teams with potential, like Genoa, to success with some good signing, good financial control and good football. I hope you enjoy this read.

Pre-Season review;

Pre-Season is a big component in a season, in my opinion. It's important to asses, evaluate and alter what you have done. For me, Pre-Season is especially important to test my tactics that I do create at the start of every season. Here's what happened, in terms of games, during pre-season;

fixturesandresults.png

All in all, I thought pre-season went quite well. We didn't play as much games as we would've liked but, that was primarily due to confusion in fixtures. Due to the Serie 'A' starting later in the year than most European leagues, the international break comes before the first competitive fixtures are played. Due to a whole host of my season players away with their respective nations, I did have to cancel 2-3 games - I didn't want to tarnish squad morale or confidence by playing games, in which half our squad would've been missing for, after losing by 3-4 goals. I thought we would be more suited if we cancelled the games and focused on training. Disappointed with the loss the Athletic Bilbao but, we did have players missing and we were defensively inept against set-pieces.

August;

TIM Cup - 3rd Qualifying round;

Genoa - 1 (Tadic '10)

Sampdoria - 0

We met our fiercest rivals, Sampdoria, in our first meaningful games of the season; who'd have thought it? It was a good game on our behalf. New Serbian signing, Dusan Tadic, made his debut and became in instant fans favourite by knocking Sampdoria out of the Italian FA Cup. We passed the ball well, kept the ball well and defended well. There were some sticky moments but, that's only to be expected in our first competitive match of the season. Onwards and Upwards.

Serie 'A';

Genoa - 1 (Dainelli '17)

Juventus - 0

Another mouth watering prospect. Still cannot believe we managed to conquer the attacking guile and craft of Antonio Conte and his Juve side. We lined up with an attack-minded 4-4-1-1 and it paid off, especially in the opening few minutes. We dominated them; Dusan Tadic and Alexander Merkel linked up very well while Palacio was brilliant, closing down the defence and being a constant pest. we managed to take the lead with a set-piece delivered from Valter Birsa onto the imposing figure of Dario Dainelli. Brilliant performance.

Summer Transfer Window - 2011/2012 | In's and Out's;

In's;

Marco Davide Faraoni - Internazionale - £875k - He may not have the potential to become a first-team in future seasons but, he certainly does have the raw skills to do a good job on the right-hand side. Every time I've watched him this season for Inter, he's impressed me and I've took full advantage of the affiliation link between the two clubs and nabbed young, promising Faraoni for a considerably cheap fee.

Federico Casarini - Bologna - £3.4 million - This young man has some future ahead of him. I managed to prise him away from Bologna for a £2 million fee with another £1.4 million coming after domestic and international appearances. He possesses great technique and ball skills, those were catalysts towards me signing him. I wan to build a squad which can get the ball down, pass it about and ultimately score goals. Federico can definitely do that and become a integral figure within my Genoa squad. Impressed during pre-season too.

Dusan Tadic - FC Grongingen - £4.5 million - My marquee signing of the summer. Probably one of the most under-rated, or overlooked players on FM12. He's got excellent ball skills; dribbling, first touch and passing are all his forte while, with an attributes of '18' for 'Corssing', he can provide assist after assist. I'm hoping he will thrive in Serie 'A', I expect he will.

Simeona Calvano - AC Milan - £500k (Bought Milan's 50% stake) - Another good youth prospect. The 18-year old, who only joined AC Milan last season from Atalanta, has joined my Genoa outfit on a full-term basis. I predict he will become a valued member of my squad with some good development and tutoring.

Out's;

Lukas Zima - AS Roma - £120k (Co-Ownership Deal) - He's still with me at the moment; if he impresses, I will look to sign him on a full-term basis. He's a good prospect. Already a Czech Republic youth international.

A few final words...

What type of Football will you try and play, Llew? Well, I'm a huge admirer of the passing game. I want to play some good, passing football which will also be efficient and sustainable. I believe that this Genoa side does have the ability to play in this way. I'll also want my players to press high up the pitch, trying to regain the ball high-up the pitch and benefit from it.

Do you recommend Genoa? Yes, Yes I do. Genoa are a team with great potential within a fantastic league, 'Serie A'. If you want to take mid-table side to success within 2-3 years, Genoa is your save.

BUON NATALE - FORZA GENOA!

Well done so far Llew some good ins too. I'm near the end of the season so will post my report in a bit, not doing fantastic mind as i've struggled to get the 3-4-3 working but i've switched to my 3-3-1-3 I used at Colo Colo and we are playing a lot better at least. Will be glad to get Acquafresca and Papastathopoulos back tbh. Spent quite a bit in the winter too so team blending also factors for a bit of it.

Keep up the good work Llew, cannot wait for your next update, i hope that your style of play will be succesfull in Italy, and i see that you love to play game similar to Barca?

Cheers mate :) I think my brand of football will succeed in Serie 'A'. We've seen Napoli play a attacking style of football and it's achieved success; same goes for Juve this season. It's better to play like Barça than Stoke, in my opinion ;)

Well done so far Llew some good ins too. I'm near the end of the season so will post my report in a bit, not doing fantastic mind as i've struggled to get the 3-4-3 working but i've switched to my 3-3-1-3 I used at Colo Colo and we are playing a lot better at least. Will be glad to get Acquafresca and Papastathopoulos back tbh. Spent quite a bit in the winter too so team blending also factors for a bit of it.

Cheers :)3-3-1-3? That seems to be an interesting formation; is that the formation that Marcelo Bielsa used with the Chile national team in the 2010 World Cup. Keep us up-to-date on how you get along. I can't wait to get some of the loanees back too, especially Robert Acquafresca and Mattia Destro. Both are good finishers of the ball and, with Rodrigo Palacio showing signs of decline, I need a clinical finisher :thup:

3-3-1-3.jpg

It's still work in progress ATM as I don't have as many players to fit the original as I like. What it does do well is keep hold of the ball and create lots of chances, unfortunately my forwards can't hit a cows arse with a banjo which is why i'm looking forward to getting some of the players back next season along with definite incomings of Sanogo and Betolacci. Considering letting Palacio and Veloso go out of my 1st teamers next season. Ribas, Ze Eduardo and Lucas Pratto will 100% be on their way as i'm sick of them tbh :D

As I said earlier the season didn't go as well as I would have liked, stupid late goals conceded was my main problem and the lack of goals was also a bit worrying.

table.jpg

With the transfers in January I should have been looking at top 6 tbh, I was 5th at the time I started bringing players in so it was a strange one.

transfers.jpg

Haven't really bought any first team players in the summer due to players coming back in the positions I wanted to strengthen anyway but I have brought in some cracking potential.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc476/dexter_morgan5/Genoa/castro.jpg[/img]"]Castro

Lizarraga

Lomidze

Vojacek

I have an eye on one or 2 more players, but for some reason the offers get accepted as do the contract offers but the deal never goes through. Winding me up tbh as they are both French so it's not a work permit issue :confused: Also I have sold Palcio for £7.5M with a 25% cut of his next sale

EDIT Forgot to post all the other ins and outs for the upcoming season

Transfers 1

Transfers 2

Transfers 3

3-3-1-3.jpg

It's still work in progress ATM as I don't have as many players to fit the original as I like. What it does do well is keep hold of the ball and create lots of chances, unfortunately my forwards can't hit a cows arse with a banjo which is why i'm looking forward to getting some of the players back next season along with definite incomings of Sanogo and Betolacci. Considering letting Palacio and Veloso go out of my 1st teamers next season. Ribas, Ze Eduardo and Lucas Pratto will 100% be on their way as i'm sick of them tbh :D

What kind of results have you had with the teams you've used it with? Looks interesting. And what about individual instructions, are they the default ones?

I just started my save and will be sorting out my back room staff as well looking for some good signings as I want to play three at the back like genoa does irl 3-4-3.. nice update Llew_Arshavin23 and Dexter_Morgan. Also if you have any advice on staff as this will take me a long time haha due to the board not giving you many spaces for staff. Buon Natale

legacalciofan, glad to have you aboard. Here's the staff list, they are mostly usual signings me for me and usually end up at least 4 star if they already aren't. Lulinha and Ruben Sosa usually end up good attacking/technical coaches as well.

staff.jpg

I forgot to mention earlier, you'll get an offer for Papastathopoulos around the 25th June 2012 due to an agreed price, offer him a new contract either just before then or when Bremen bid and he'll stay with the club.

Afternoon and Buon Natale, as the Italians would say :) I'm going to jump straight into this and say that I can't get into this Genoa save; I blame my lack of Christmas spirit. I've gone off FM12 recently too, it's become quite boring. I'm going to try and reignite my love for it by playing with Málaga and possibly a Bundesliga or nPower Championship outfit :thup:

Don't worry though. I'm keeping my Genoa save in a separate file so, when I do get back to my former FM-loving self, I'll be straight back on my Genoa save :D Good Luck with your saves, lads!

EDIT: Upon second thoughts, I'm just going to start a new Genoa save :D

What are you finding wrong with your save Llew? I must admit the 1st season is hard. Destro and Papastathopoulos in particular prove to be big misses but hopefully my report can encourage you to stick with it.

Genoa 2012/13 Report

This season in the main couldn't have been any more different than last season's inconsistencies. After a slow start I scrapped the 3-3-1-3 and went to a 3-1-1-3-2 (or 3-2-3-2 depending how you see it)

newtactic.jpg

The principles of it aren't a million miles away from the 3-3-1-3 as we still average over 60% of possession in 3/4 of the games we play but by making the CM and DM roles a little less complicated which allowed Veloso and Jali to shine. Kadlec, Destro and Sanogo had decent if unspectacular seasons, all three had injury problems at some point as did my entire midfield bar Jali so that is something i'm looking in to. For the upcoming season I am going to drop the AMC back in to a CM role as i've found both Roberto Firmino and Thomas Drage next to useless there, in fact i've decided Firmino will be sold if I can get a decent replacement, Drage's ability to play all over midfield and upfront saves him from the chop for now. I sold Acquafresca in January for £5.25M with a 15% sell on as he just couldn't get going for me and I brought in Marlingo from Atalanta who always seemed to impress against me and was certainly important when he joined.

Defensively we made a big improvement this season, the return of Papastathopoulos and the free signing of Montoya made a big difference there as you can see in the squad ratings.

squad.jpg

Winning against big clubs is still a problem for us though we did get a very creditable draw at Inter and won at Juve.

fixtures.jpg

We were always in a European spot from October onwards but I was expecting a drop at some point which never really materialised and by March we were comfortably in the 3rd CL spot but the draw at Inter coupled with a Milan win against Juventus meant we had closed down Juve's 9 point lead at the top which they had before we won there down to 2 points. I never really believed we could win the league and the 3-0 loss at Napoli should have killed us off but Juve never really kicked on and we managed to spectacularly score a 94th minute winner at home to Palermo in the penultimate game of the season to lead the table for the first time. As we kept missing chance after chance in our final game against Fiorentina I was convinced we'd blow it as any kind of Juve win at Napoli would have seen them win the Scudetto on goal difference due to our identical head to head record, but Napoli did me a good turn with a late goal to beat Juve and hand us an unexpected championship.

table-1.jpg

I've made a few signings for the future already

Almeria 4 star potential

Ricardo 4.5 star

Ricarrere 4.5 star

Sikora 5 star

My main aim now is at least 1 CM maybe 2, Asamoah, Isla and Marvin Martin seem to be the best available to me as it stands, though i've not ruled out Casemiro and Pjanic.

I'll report back once my dealings are done and I know my CL group

Dexter_Morgan - Yes; I've decided to just start a new Genoa save :) Expect a Pre-Season update by tonight.

Well Done on winning the league, by the way. What a fantastic achievement! Champions League football is coming to the Stadio Luigi Ferrari :thup: Looks like AS Roma had a disappointing season too; 16th at the end of the season. You may be able to pick up a few AS Roma players on the cheap after that season.

Keep us up-to-date on how your young regens, Ricardo and Sikora, develop too. They look fantastic for players so young. Great Update mate.

Babak - I'm pretty happy with the defence as it is now tbh, I have too many players if anything and am having to loan out Polenta, Lizarraga (who will be first choice LB next season if his time at Celta goes well) and Martial (I may actually sell him now I have Ricarrere)

Midfield was nowhere near as bad when I changed the formation but i've decided that Veloso is missing too many games so he went for £5M, Kucka went for the same amount as well and in comes Coquelin for £5M, Cristeg on a free, El Shaarawy joined as well as me giving Vojacek a proper chance this season and Lomidze having a year in Serie B. Castro will get a few more games on the wing and if he fails I already have a few targets in mind.

Llew - good on you, I certainly found getting a few of the returning players helped me. Sikora is going to be a default sub around the 55 min mark in most games this year I feel. As for Ricardo I have to wait until 2015 for him, but he's already in Flamengo's first team which should mean he'll be an automatic starter for me when he does join.

I have just been offered Julian Schieber for £8M, does anyone have any experience of him? I've bid as I think he'd be an excellent tutor for Sikora, but it'd mean letting one of Kadlec or Sanogo go (Destro is staying as I need to keep some Italians in the squad) so thoughts are welcome quickly as it won't be long before it goes through :D

PI's are generic Babak bar the wide men and strikers switch with each other during the game. I got Schieber, he'll offer me something different to the others I think.

Maestroik - I was lucky with the price tbh, he'd been loaned out the previous 2 seasons and when he came back he was stuck in the reserves. My scout said he'd be £7.5M (which is still decent IMO) but I tried my luck with £5M and got him :) I did have a £5M bid for Canales accepted but his agent was a pain in the arse. I really wanted him too after having no chance in the last FM and the final patch on FM10 :mad:

Llew - good on you, I certainly found getting a few of the returning players helped me. Sikora is going to be a default sub around the 55 min mark in most games this year I feel. As for Ricardo I have to wait until 2015 for him, but he's already in Flamengo's first team which should mean he'll be an automatic starter for me when he does join.

I have just been offered Julian Schieber for £8M, does anyone have any experience of him? I've bid as I think he'd be an excellent tutor for Sikora, but it'd mean letting one of Kadlec or Sanogo go (Destro is staying as I need to keep some Italians in the squad) so thoughts are welcome quickly as it won't be long before it goes through :D

Maybe not having Ricardo join the club for a while may be beneficial to both parties; on your hand, it will allow him to gain regular first-team football and allow you to figure out where he'll fit in and, on Flamengo's hand, they'll be able to keep a prized possession for a while before he moves on. Anyway. Good Luck with your development of your newly acquired regens :)

Julian Schieber does look a very good player. Watched him a while back and he looked sharp; If you were to move one striker on, I would move on Yaya Sanogo purely down to the fact that he's too similar to Mattia Destro. You need a smaller, more agile striker to bag the 'scrappy goals' :thup:

Babak - I'm pretty happy with the defence as it is now tbh, I have too many players if anything and am having to loan out Polenta, Lizarraga (who will be first choice LB next season if his time at Celta goes well) and Martial (I may actually sell him now I have Ricarrere)

Midfield was nowhere near as bad when I changed the formation but i've decided that Veloso is missing too many games so he went for £5M, Kucka went for the same amount as well and in comes Coquelin for £5M, Cristeg on a free, El Shaarawy joined as well as me giving Vojacek a proper chance this season and Lomidze having a year in Serie B. Castro will get a few more games on the wing and if he fails I already have a few targets in mind.

Looking at your stats, do you feel having the second central striker brings something to your side or he may be implemented better in a deeper role?

Llew, i've decided to keep the 5 strikers for the time being as I can't decide which should go TBH, I get the feeling Sanogo may be the better long term bet but Kadlec is clearly a better player at the moment. I will review it in Jan though.

Babak I will trying Schieber as a target man on support, if I had waited 2 weeks Lukaku was available and he'd have fitted perfectly, though Schieber is still a good choice and his tutoring ability may not be pefect but it's still better than what I had (I always tend to take that part seriously to try and get the best out of my youngsters). The second striker for the moment is important as I don't feel we're enough of a threat at the moment even with 2 up there so going for 1 lone striker would concern me. A 3-6-1 or 3-7-0 with a false 9 are real possibilities in the future, I had a cracking 4-6-0 on FM09 that scored goals galore from all over (my CM was getting 30+ goals a season) and wouldn't mind pushing that further with a 3-7-0 but I think with the amount of strikers I have now i'll have to save that idea for another club (possibly Gladbach or Montpellier)

I am almost at the end of the first transfer window made it through pre-season ok would have liked to score more goals with my 3-4-3 formation. I did bring in some players and yes my strikers got made at me for buying a new striker to help with my attacking formation. So any advice lol as I may have to sale one or two as I will be having another private chat soon with all three which are Ribas, Aleksic and Pratto. Funny thing I have been trying to sale players but none will leave lol or no one wants to offer anything for them. Plus I will need to try and get more goals out of my strikers before we get too deep into the season so I will be tweaking things to see if I get them to score more. Will also try to have an update tomorrow as well.

No, I only drew with Barca and lost at their place. I was never going to win that anyway to be fair but I have an easy route to the Europa quarters and most of the minnows are going to avoid the big sides who'll play each other either in the 1st or 2nd knockout so if I get a easy quarter draw then i'd been in with a good shout.

I'll do a proper update at some point, but the signing of Schieber and the tweaks I made to his role and the team have added a lot of goals. Defencively we are letting a lot in but I am unsure if this is down to the tactic or having to play an 18 year old keeper for half the season plus a 16/17 year old CB too at times.

Genoa 2013/14 Report

squad-1.jpg

fixtures-1.jpg

cupfinal.jpg

table-3.jpg

Player of the Year

Tactic

I am far from happy with the season tbh, if Juve had not have bottled it again we would never have won the league. In a small part having kids play in goal and sweeper didn't help, especially with communication but it can't be blamed for all my problems at the back. I don't think either full back performed well this season and i've let Anonelli leave on a Bosman. Montoya deserves a second chance, though I am looking at someone to put pressure on him. I will have to make some kind of tweak to the defencive line too obviously as it is obvious that I have to take a share of the blame too.

I've given up hope on Castro making the left wing spot his own and I am seriously considering Eden Hazard or Jovetic for that position, my other options are Lamela or a regen at Shaktar I really should have signed at the end of the first season before they nipped in.

I've decided Sanogo will be the striker to go, I have Almeria incoming anyway.

Really pleased I brought Schieber in, I changed his settings to run from deep rarely as I saw him of more of an outlet than a goal getter but he's done both superbly.

Babak, I only seem to have the problem on the left hand side, the right wing is fine imo.

Archived