Sick of players not squaring the ball

i love fm and always have but one thing that really angers me is how 9/10 times a player will be running down the byline and instead of squaring it he shoots...this is rediculous of course sometimes players will have a crack even from an angle like that (suarez :p) BUT NOT EVERY BLOODY TIME IT DOES MY HEAD IN

You can make your players square the ball. In SI's terms, squaring the ball is not an attacking mentality.

Please explain?? Cause I have two wingers at Ajax who constantly skin the opposition defences, but refuse point blank to square the ball to my forward who spends half the match waggling his arms around in despair bless him.

I agree with you that they don't square the ball enough, though to be fair using a certain set of tactics makes it more/less likely.

With my current team I play a slow, wide tempo with an emphasis on attacking wingers making Channel runs. They square it much more often than at my other clubs.

It might be worth trying to have your wingers learn the ppm 'looks for pass rather than attempting to shoot' as well.

That particular PPM worries me though, my two wingers are pretty good goalscorers themselves on their blistering runs, so I dont want to gimp them. Its clearly my tactics not a game issue, cause often Ill have 2 or 3 people in or around the box the box and yet my wingers will reach the byline then kill the ball and swivel around as though confused often resulting in a corner for me (if tackled) or them backpassing it to my fullbacks...

Very odd, have tried lower and higher mentalities, have tried rarely/default/often crossing, have tried numerous settings on my forward, to no avail, that said my forwards are crap at heading so maybe the wingers just know he wont win a crossed ball and choose to keep possession rather than lose it as they are both pretty clever (decisions) and creative.

I dont agree with the learning a PPM of passing instead of shooting. What you want is the player to recognise where they are on the pitch and act accordingly. If you have wingers or even forwards that your playing out wide you want them to get into double figures goals wise but not be so greedy.

My two main wingers scored 11 goals each over the season in the league compared to my forward who scored 18. So its not bad and they do set him up but I see many occassions when hes wide open and they just ignore the bloke, dispite having him as favoured personal?

Archived