FM11: Granada CF Thread - Campeón, campeón, El Granada es por bravura y corazón

heathxxx

Granada Club de Fútbol

safe_image.php?d=a42f3f7c4eade7219c180916bb411617&w=180&h=540&url=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fen%2F4%2F4f%2FLogo-granada-cf.png

Campeón, campeón, El Granada es por bravura y corazón

(Champions, Champions, Granada is for courage and heart)

futbol3.jpg

Official Club Website: http://www.granadacf.es/ (Use Google Chrome to translate from Spanish to English)

If you want to see all the goals from this season's games, go to: http://www.granadacf.es/index.php?seccion=competicion⊂=cronicas

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Past...

Granada Club de Fútbol was founded on 14 April 1931, originally as Recreativo de Granada; the first president was Julio López Fernández.

The first football match was played against Deportivo Jaén, with a 2–1 victory. The first goal in the match, and in the club's history, was scored by Antonio Bombillar. In the 1931–32 season, the club won the Tercera Regional - Región Sur championship.

After several promotions, in 1941–42 the club made its first division debut. From here until the 80s, the club alternated between the first and second tiers of Spanish football. Granada's golden age came during the 70s, with eight top flight seasons, including their highest La Liga positions, two sixth league places (1971–72, 1973–74).

In 1959 Granada obtained one of their greatest milestones, being the runner-up of Copa del Generalísimo (later Copa del Rey). In the final, played at Santiago Bernabéu Stadium Madrid, the team lost to FC Barcelona 4–1.

Towards the mid to late 70's though, the club headed into decline, dropping down to the Spanish second tier, then by the early 80's, dropping to the third tier. The club alternated between the second and third tiers through the 80's, before settling in the third tier for some fourteen years. In 2002-03, the club was relegated to the Spanish 4th tier due to financial difficulties and with no apparent support from local businessmen, wallowed at a semi-professional level. After four seasons in the fourth tier, former Real Madrid president Lorenzo Sanz, along with son Francisco, arrived at the club. With their help, the side promoted again to the third tier, and established the base of its future: to be a professional club, with healthy finances, planning a return to the first division.

By the end of the 2008-09 season however, chances of further promotions and a return to the higher echelons of Spanish football seemed a million miles away. The club finished 10th in the Segunda B4 (third tier), the Sanz family had left and the club was mired in debt and players had been on strike without pay. So bad was the situation that there was serious doubt that the club would see another season, with closure looming. In came new club president Enrique Pina, who managed to broker deals to keep the club alive. Not only that, but he managed to secure investment and the support of Gino Pozzo, president of Italian side Udinese. This deal saw direct financial support provided and the loan of players, with promotion not only a desire, but a realistic aim.

Granada CF finished the 2009-10 seasons as winners of the Segunda B4, beat Alcorcon in the play-offs to secure promotion and became overall Segunda B champions, beating SD Ponferradina 1-0 in the final. The excitement in the city was something to behold. The passionate Granadino fans finally had something to cheer about, after so many years of misery.

[video=youtube;mCHkau6KsF8]

...The Present

Granada CF find themselves in the second tier of Spanish football, for the first time in over twenty-two years. Many believed that after so long in the lower echelons of Spanish football, they'd either make up the numbers or struggle to survive. Nobody but those following the club had dared to believe that their promotion might be the beginning of a fantastic voyage towards La Liga itself.

Making the most of the link and support from Udinese by signing no less than eleven players on loan, further investment was secured not only from the Italians, but from prominent local business. Record sponsorship deals were signed with banks, Caja Granada as main sponsors, Caja Rural and supermarket chain Covrian as key sponsors. President Enrique Pina wasn't satisfied that the club would make up the numbers in the Liga Adelante... he and the fans wanted to take the club towards a new golden age.

The club currently lies 4th in the table, comfortably in the play-off zone. Thanks to some superb performances and exciting, attacking football, that have made others begin to take their objectives and dreams more seriously...

[video=youtube;bIbg4jIIgO0]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIbg4jIIgO0

The Future?

With an ambitious chairman who's been able to generate serious interest and financial support, a passionate fan base that will soon outgrow its current home stadium, the future for the club looks very positive.

Clearly the deal with Udinese is a door which swings in both directions, as whilst their president Gino Pozzo has made a considerable investment with finances and players, they have a firm foothold in Spanish football. From this, they'll have first option on players from a rapidly developing Granada youth system. They'll also be able to easily exploit EU work permit restrictions, by sending their South American youngsters to Granada, where they'll be eligible for Spanish (and hence, EU) citizenship within two years.

After managing to overcome extremely difficult financial circumstances, the club is now running a healthy profit. The potentially sizeable fan base and aim of reaching La Liga, means that it's imperative the club expands the stadium. Their current home, Nuevo Los Carmenes, is owned by the city of Granada. Previously the city council had agreed to contribute heavily towards upgrading the current stadium from 16,200 current capacity, to over 20,000. Plans had been passed and architects even released graphical representations of how things would look. Granada president Enrique Pina has become increasingly frustrated that the city council have now backed away from these plans. Even getting the council to allow usage of space within the current stadia construction to house a club shop and supporters club facilities, has been like trying to get blood from a stone. The extent of frustration is such, that plans are now in progress to relocate to a new stadium, owned by the club.

render2e%5B16%5D.png

foto2lx%5B3%5D.jpg

Above and to the right, is the current stadium, owned by the city council. The new stadium site is little more than a moment's drive away. It will be interesting to see how far this project goes as the evidence suggests that the support is there to make it worthwhile. When Granada CF played at home to Barcelona "B" earlier this season, their current ground was filled to capacity and over five thousand fans had to be turned away.

In the short term though, should Granada CF achieve promotion this season and remain at Nuevo Los Carmenes, it will be interesting to see how they would compete in the top flight. Nine out of the last ten teams who've gained promotion to La Liga with stadium capacities below twenty thousand, have gone straight back down.

A little background to the thread...

Most of you will probably know me from the Tactics forum over the years, along with a few posts here and there in this forum.

I've lived in Granada province here in Spain for around six years now and soon took an interest in local football. The biggest club in the province is Granada C.F. though as you'll see by the history I've provided, up until recently, the club has endured many barren and difficult years since their "golden age" during the 1970's. Having started watching them playing in the Segunda B4 of the Spanish third tier, it's been an exciting time to follow the club and be swept up in the euphoria of their sudden upturn in fortunes.

Having travelled around Andalucia and watched teams like Real Betis, Sevilla, Malaga and Almeria, given the size of the city of Granada, the passionate and loyal fan base and hunger for a successful football team in the area, I'd often been surprised that it's been so long since the city has had a team in the top two tiers of Spanish football.

For a very brief period there was the fiasco of Granada 74. A Granadino businessman who owned the original club, plying their trade in the regional leagues of the Spanish fifth tier, bought the franchise of Ciudad de Murcia football club, who had just achieved promotion to the Liga Adelante in 2007. He merged the two clubs together and transferred player contracts from the Murcia based club to the newly formed entity in Granada. Needless to say, this move caused considerable controversy and as they couldn't find a home in the city of Granada itself, they ended up playing in Motril on the Costa Tropical coastline in the southern part of the province. Support was poor and this club finished 21st, relegated to the Segunda B, where the following season they were relegated again. The millionaire owner lost interest, pulled out of the club and although the club still exists, it's not currently registered in any main competitions and only plays an amateur team now.

Support for Granada C.F. remained loyal and strong however and the arrival of Enrique Pina and serious investment in the club has lifted them to new heights. What was once a pipe-dream, is now reality. The club has ambition and the means to realise it. Watching them during their rise has been exciting indeed, especially as an expatriate Britain getting his first real taste of involvement with a Spanish side and Spanish football in general.

Granada C.F. play attractive, attacking football, similar to that of the Spanish national team "Tiki-Taka", earning their style the nickname "Fabri-Taka" (Fabri being the club's manager). One other thing that can often be ignored at the peril of their opponents, is also a ruthless and fast counter-attacking mentality. Real Betis were on the receiving end of this counter-attacking strategy, having dominated over 70% of possession against Granada this season, yet losing 3-0. Granada sat deep and soaked up the pressure, letting them dink the ball around, without really creating anything. When Granada did get the ball though, the fierce momentum they got forward and created quality chances, stunned their opponents.

After a shaky start, they've risen up the table quickly, thanks mainly to their superb home performances, often demolishing opponents completely. The home support is vibrant and loud, often thought to be intimidating to opponents, every match has a carnival atmosphere. Their away form isn't as great, but they've managed to draw against some very strong opponents and indications are that their form away from home is steadily improving. How they perform both home and away will be vital during the run-in, but they certainly have enough about them to comfortably secure a play-off position.

Research...

Whilst researching the club and helping provide the data used for Football Manager 2011, it's been interesting debating things with the other Spanish researchers. None of them believed the club would achieve much this season. Though I argued strongly for a better starting reputation, aware of the quality of players being signed from Udinese, the ambitions and intentions of the club president, the club was set as one of the relegation favourites. They argued that because the club had failed to achieve anything for so many years, they couldn't possibly be considered for higher reputation. I was pushing that they should have reputation in-game of "Mid-Table" or thereabouts, at the very least. Disappointingly, they are still rated as one of the relegation favourites for the 11.3 patch, in spite of how well they've proven my estimations correct. I had always strongly believed that they might be a dark horse for a promotion challenge. Perhaps for FM12, my suggestions might be taken a little more seriously... ;)

Mindful of this and one or two other little things that were submitted, but didn't make the final patch, such as pivotally important Enrique (Quique) Pina as club president, I've created a small edit file, which you're free to use if you wish. I have included Enrique Pina as club president, using the same data I'd attributed for him and submitted during the research period. I've also moved several young loan players from Udinese from the first team, to Granada CF "B", where they should be. This means that although you'll be able to see them in the "B" team screen, you won't be able to move them back to the first team. If you do wish to use any of them in the first team though, you can cancel their loans with Granada CF "B" and then re-loan them from Udinese for the first team.

In reality, part of the ambitious plans the club, is to get their "B" team up from the regional leagues in the fifth tier, up to the third tier and Segunda B4. Therefore the club has loaned several youth internationals from Udinese to achieve this goal and will continue to do so. The main aim is to have the "B" team playing at a good professional level, to further increase their long term goals of bringing their own youth players through. The club currently has a very good youth system, which is improving rapidly. I increased the figures for their youth system and academy to a more realistic level and this has already been featured in the game. It will likely be improved again for FM12, as currently all the youth teams are top of their respective divisions and there are some very good player prospects coming through the ranks. All these players are too young to feature in FM11, but I'm confident there's quite a few who will feature in the future.

Unfortunately, as the "B" team is in the fifth tier currently, you'll never see them promoted to the Segunda B4 in FM11, as only clubs in the fourth tier are ever available for promotion. You'll have to wait for FM12 to have the potential to see them feature in a playable league, as they're currently on course for promotion to the fourth tier in reality.

So, only fairly minor changes, but ones that I feel are important enough to make available as an additional edit file you can use, which should have made the final patch, but unfortunately didn't. As I'm a stickler for detail, that's why I've made this small edit file available, to use if you wish. The main changes are:

· Enrique (Quique) Pina as club president.

· Jonni Cabrera, Wilso Cuero, Ransford Osei - all moved from Granada CF first team, to Granada CF "B" team.

· Club reputation slightly improved from 5250 to 5500, which should see them considered "Mid Table" rather than "Relegation".

· Preferred Formation - "4-2-3-1 Denmark" and Second Preferred Formation - "4-2-4" correctly applied.

· Maximum Attendance increased from 16,200 to 30,000 to realistically facilitate either current stadium expansion, or a new stadium in the future.

The edit file can be downloaded here:

Link 1 - http://www.gamefront.com/files/20118925/Granada+Edit.xml

Link 2 - http://www.mediafire.com/?8x08pqkpubdt4po

Save the file to the following directory - C:\Users\<yourusername>\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2011\editor data

When starting a new save, do the following:

Ins1.png

Ins2.png

Click "confirm" and then proceed to set up the rest of the game (leagues, divisions, player data, etc...) to suit your preferences. Just as a personal preference, when setting up a new save, because I have a lot of leagues running as playable, I select the following options:

Ins3.png

Note that I also like to have the real fixture list used, as just for vanity, I can compare my progress directly with how the team has done in the corresponding fixtures in real life, during the first season.

Getting Started...

First of all, although you do have a "B" team, like many other Spanish clubs, as they're not in a playable division in the game and will never reach a playable league in FM11, it's not really worth paying much attention to your "B" team. You do have an element of control over the player contracts though, so the first thing I would do, is to release any loan players who are on a wage and either transfer list or release all the other players. What happens to the "B" team in the game background, really won't matter at all, but wages can affect your club finances. Getting rid of all the "B" team players you're not interested in keeping, will remove their impact on overall club finances.

Check the main club information screen. If you downloaded my edit file, it should look something like this:

GCF-ClubInformation.png

If you didn't use my edit file, the main differences in this screen will be that the media prediction will be 20th, plus as they won't have the correct chairman, their status will depend upon whatever the game has generated. This will mean that it could be entirely random. You might have a great chairman, but you could also have an awful chairman to work with.

Club finances at Granada CF are fairly healthy. Although you've not got a great deal to work with to begin with, you have a pretty good squad to start with. Providing you make good use of one or two free transfer signings and keep within the wage budget, the club should run a healthy profit over the course of the season.

You will certainly need to improve your staff when you can, so it's important to communicate immediately with the board. If the options to do so are available, ask them to increase the amount of scouts and coaches you can have. Also, try to get them to increase scouting range, because if they agree to this request, you'll be able to scout worldwide right from the start of your save. Any staff changes, I'll deal with and make suggestions, later in the thread.

GCF-Boardrequest.png

Meet The Squad...

Again, providing you used my small edit file, your first team squad should look like this:

GCF-FirstTeamSquad.png

At a glance, note that all the dark blue highlighted players are on loan at the club. All but Juande from Real Betis, are on loan from Udinese. The light blue highlighted players are Granada players on loan at other clubs. Usually, I drop them down to the Under-19's squad, simply so they don't clutter up my squad screen.

When you register your squad for the season, it's important to remember that in the Liga Adelante, you're restricted to only two non-EU players. African players however, are exempt from this restriction, which will explain why when you register your squad, there's no "Fgn" button next to Nigerian Odion Ighalo, or Ghanaian Jonathan Mensah. Players from elsewhere outside Europe and Africa, will count as foreign players, so unless you intend on terminating the loans of Chilean international Fabián Orellana and Colombian U21 Luis Fernando Muriel, you may be limited when it comes to any foreign players you might want to sign.

Therefore my initial advice if you're looking to improve this initial squad, would be to look towards only European and African players. As you're limited to registering 22 outfield players, one trick if you want a bigger squad and more cover, is to sign players who were under the age of 18 at 01/01/2010. They don't have to be registered, but can still play in the first team.

Although I'll highlight some of the key players in the following post, a quick look at the squad suggests that although there's good strength in depth overall, it would be worthwhile looking at additional full-backs. There's not as much depth there as I would normally be comfortable with.

Squad Overview & Key Players

GCF-Lineup.png

Granada CF predominantly play a wide 4-2-3-1 formation, which I've shown in the image. I've also selected the first eleven I would personally use, based upon the roles I would employ in this system. This starting eleven is pretty much what Granada manager Fabri would select, with perhaps Mikel Rico selected ahead of Óscar Pérez instead.

Sometimes, they will use a second striker, pushing the AMC position further forward to form an attacking 4-4-2/4-2-4. There's plenty of flexibility in the squad, so you could probably try different formations if you preferred, though the current squad is well suited to those I've mentioned.

Goalkeepers

Roberto is currently the first choice keeper, despite being the shortest of the three keepers at 5'11", registered in the first team squad. His lack of height is comfortably made up for by his good overall technical, mental and physical attributes. His immediate understudy Rafa, should be able to offer good competition for a first choice spot too though. As well as being taller and younger, he likewise has a good distribution of technical, mental and physical attributes, which still have room for improvement. José Juan on the other hand, is more of a backup keeper, but not too bad if those ahead of him should suffer injury or need a rest from the first team.

Just about shading my choice as key player of the goalkeepers, would be Roberto.

Defenders

At central defence, Granada have a good selection of players, especially if you're using a stopper/cover approach. Iñigo López is best suited as the stopper, with Jonathan Mensah as the cover. Your backup for these two players, would be Diego Máinz as stopper, and pulling Manuel Lucena from midfield to use as a cover defender.

The full back positions are probably lacking in depth, which is something you'll be advised to address as quickly as possible. With a little development, Allan Nyom could become a superb attacking full back, especially if you can develop him technically. He will easily be your first choice at right back. At left back Rubén Párraga is certainly more than capable. Decent overall attributes, if lacking a little when it comes to technique and first touch, which can be handy for full backs in a footballing side.

The reason you'll need to pay attention to your full back positions, is that you aren't blessed with a lot of options for backup, should Nyom or Párraga get injured or suspended. Iñigo López is more than capable of covering on either side, but as one of your first choice centre backs, it's better to have other options available. Guilherme Siqueira can play at left back, but has poor defensive attributes and is more suited and comfortable playing offensively as a winger.

Defensive key players I would choose from those available, would be Jonathan Mensah in central defence and Allan Nyom at right back.

Central Midfielders

There's plenty of options you can use when it comes to different player roles in midfield, with players suited to quite a few different and contrasting roles. This will give you the flexibility to make changes to how you approach things, before and during matches. For example, in one of the central midfield slots, you could use Óscar Pérez as a ball winning midfielder, or Mikel Rico as a playmaker. Whilst Manuel Lucena can also play as a centre back, he's technically good enough to be a deep-lying playmaker, a ball winning midfielder, or straightforward central midfielder. Abel is very suitable as an attacking midfielder or playmaker to play behind a solo forward, whilst he can also comfortably play in a creative role from the centre of midfield as a playmaker. Be mindful of his Player Preferred Moves, which make him an ideal candidate to take free kicks and corners. Juande is a capable defensive midfielder, or ball winning midfielder.

My choices as key players in midfield, would be Manuel Lucena defensively, Abel in more advanced support or attack roles.

Wide Players / Wingers

The Granada squad certainly doesn't have a shortage of talented players who can be used as wide midfielders or wingers.

Dani Benítez has been drawing many plaudits this season for Granada and will likely be first choice on the left wing. He has more than capable cover in Guilherme Siqueira though, who is easily an equal for pace, if not quite technically and mentally. On the right would usually be Chilean international Fabián Orellana, although he can play comfortably in any attacking midfield position or one either side. His cover on the right would be promising talent, Áxel Cruz. Suitable on either side, are Carlos Calvo who has enough quality to push for a starting spot, along with Juan José Collantes. If you decided to trim your numbers though, then it's probably Collantes who could most easily be sacrificed, given the overall quality and cover offered by the other wide players.

Overall though, you have sufficient quality and positional ability with the wide players, that you could use them as either orthodox wingers, or as inside forwards, giving you plenty of options tactically.

Some very good wide players, but at a push, I would choose Dani Benítez, just slightly ahead of Fabián Orellana, as my key wide player.

Forwards

With the other areas of the team, I've left suggestions for key players in each area until last. With the strikers however, there's absolutely no doubt whatsoever, that the key forward in the side is Álex Giejo. Currently the leading striker in the Liga Adelante, he's been exceptional leading the line for Granada. In FM, I would use him as a target man or even as a complete forward, as he has very good overall attributes for this level.

Other main options would begin with Nigerian striker Odion Ighalo, who if you read my Granada CF thread for FM10, you might remember as being a favourite of mine. He quickly became a fans favourite at the club during their successful Segunda B promotion campaign, was leading scorer and became especially fond of the club. He didn't return from Udinese to Granada this season until during the January transfer window. His first child was born in the city during his last spell with the club and it's clear to see he's happy to be back in Granada. He can cover for Giejo as a target man in a solo striker system, or play alongside him as a poacher or advanced forward.

Your main backup strikers would be a choice of Luis Fernando Muriel or Juan José Collantes, neither of whom are suited to use as target man, but would offer alternative options as deep-lying forward, advanced forward, or poacher.

Recommended Signings

Remembering that I said the squad was a little light when it comes to full-backs, I can recommend the following free-agents:

Sylvinho - 36 year old, Brazilian D/WB (L) with bags of experience and more than talented enough for the Liga adelante. Spanish second nationality, so won't affect the foreign player restrictions.

César Prates - 35 year old Brazilian D/WB (RL), DM, M ©, great utility player and can cover both full back slots, as well as midfield. Portuguese second nationality.

Arthirson - 33 year old Brazilian D/WB (L), M (LC), AM (L), another great utility player. Can play anywhere on the left, and also through the middle. Italian second nationality.

Abubakari Yakubu - 28 year old Ghanaian D (RC), WB ®, DM, M ©, with plenty of ability and Dutch second nationality.

In addition to the full back positions, you can also think about bolstering the centre of midfield a little, again with free agents:

Edu - 32 year old Brazilian DM, M ©, who has solid technical, mental and physical abilities, which will allow him to perform multiple midfield roles. Portuguese second nationality.

Now if you feel like making a cheeky signing, then I can recommend having a go at getting Thorgan Hazard, 17 year old Belgian AM ©, M (LC), AM (L) from French side RC Lens. He's the brother of Eden Hazard and in my game he's tipped to be "the next Enzo Scifo". I'm old enough to remember Enzo Scifo in his prime, so if he lives up to his potential, then when this youngster matures, I'll have a superb player.

So what was "cheeky" about the deal? Well, you'll probably have noticed that the club doesn't have much to spend to begin with. I managed to negotiate a deal worth 3.2 million pounds, but spread over 48 months, nothing up front and a 30% sell-on clause. His wage is 2,000 pounds per week.

3.2 million is probably a big chunk of money for a club this size, but I feel more than comfortable that he'll develop well. At the very worst, I should get my money back if we need to sell him in the future, even with the sell-on clause.

Backroom Staff & Recommendations

To me, setting up a good backroom team, can be just as important as the team that takes to the field every match.

Club icon Javi García will provide a capable assistant manager. If you do decide to look for a better replacement though, the most important attributes will be Tactical Knowledge, Judging Player Ability, Man Management and Motivation. All these attributes combined, will help provide accurate and reliable advice from your assistant, when it comes to reporting on players, squad selection and tactical suitability of players, team talks and quality feedback during matches.

Of the existing coaches, Antonio Marín is a decent defending coach, whilst although Jesús won't walk on water for you, he is a decent shooting coach. José Alfonso Morcillo is a more than capable fitness coach. The remaining staff, youth coaches, scouts and physiotherapists, it shouldn't be too difficult to find much better replacements. I usually look for mutual termination of their contracts immediately, to keep their compensation costs down.

So what that leaves you with, is an assistant manager who can also cover your Tactical coaching regimen. You also already have a defending coach, shooting coach and fitness coach. You will now need at least one goalkeeping coach (two are better if possible, one for shot stopping and another for handling), perhaps another fitness coach (one for strength, one for aerobics), an attacking coach and a ball control coach. I don't worry about youth coaches personally, as your main coaches can also train young players too.

I see little point in having more than two physiotherapists. Ideally, they should have physiotherapy attribute of 18+ and additional attributes like determination and motivation if possible.

Good scouting knowledge is vital if you're looking to shape the future of your club. Assuming you've already asked the board to broaden the club scouting range, you should then try to employ as many scouts as you can, with as much knowledge of different countries as possible. If you have one scout with scouting knowledge of Spain, you don't really need another, so having scouts of different nationalities is a start. Judging Player Ability and Judging Player Potential are important attributes, but I actually don't mind lower attributes, if a scout has good knowledge of many different countries. This will not only broaden the club scouting knowledge, but it will provide more results when you use the standard player and staff search tools.

Finally, you should have at least one scout with high Judging Player Ability and Tactical Knowledge. This is the scout you should use to generate scouting reports on your next opponents. The better their abilities, the better, more detailed and more accurate their reports should be.

Recommended Staff

Coaches

Ben Stork - English - 5 star fitness coaching.

Albert Roca - Spanish - 5 star fitness coaching.

Juan José Lasuen - Spanish - 5 star goalie coaching (shot stopping or handling).

Narciso - Brazilian - 4 star ball control coaching.

Tosh Farrell - English - 4 star shooting coaching.

Physio

Jim Walker - English

Jamanta - Brazilian - Will need to pay his club Santo André around 100k compensation.

Scouts - based on a combination of good JPA/JPP and broad knowledge of different countries:

Jairo dos Santos - Brazilian - Useful for scouting next opposition and as a South American regional scout.

David Hamilton - English - Good UK & Ireland regional scout.

Habib Sissoko - Malian - Extensive existing country knowledge, making him an ideal West African regional scout.

Japhet N´Doram - Chadian - Good Central African regional scout.

Iván Zamorano - Chilean - Good South American and Central American regional scout.

Martin Dahlin - Swedish - Good Scandinavian regional scout.

Barry Whitbread - English - Good for multiple regions. Useful for scouting UK & Ireland, Central Europe, North America, Asia, West Africa.

Andrzej Szarmach - Polish - Good Eastern European regional scout.

Note: Not all of these scouts have the highest JPA/JPP abilities, but perhaps just as important as those attributes, they have extensive knowledge of many different countries. Having signed all of those scouts, my world scouting knowledge is already "very broad".

The benefit of high scouting knowledge at your club, is that scouts tend to find more players when sent to scout individual nations or regions. You'll also instantly get more results using the standard player and staff search options too.

Pre-Season Preparations

The first thing I do with any club, is to assess my backroom staff. I usually do as mentioned in the previous post, mutually terminating the contracts of those who I don't want, then searching for suitable replacements.

I'll set up the tactics I want to use, in this case, the 4-2-3-1 system shown in post #6 above. Whatever tactical approach you decide to use, get it set up immediately, so that you get assistant reports and can assess your squat suitability straight away.

Pester the board for more staff and more scouting range. Do it quickly and providing they accept, that'll help you get all the staff you want.

Take a look at the friendlies that are already arranged. Any that are already set up at home to big clubs, keep them, otherwise cancel the lot and sort out your own. I tend to look at friendlies to offer two things - financial benefits and boosting morale before the season kicks off. I try to get the lucrative friendlies in first, against either big clubs at home, or away at whoever is offering the biggest appearance fee. In the last two weeks of pre-season, I look to play smaller opponents, who I believe my team should comfortably thrash mercilessly. Big wins, even against poor opponents, will help maximise morale before you play your first competitive fixtures.

I try to ensure that I have all my staff in place and any player signings completed within the first few weeks of pre-season. The players can bed in early with my tactical preferences, whilst the backroom staff can get to work with training schedules and scouting assignments.

Early in pre-season, it's quite useful to make use of trials for players. Bring them in on trial, get coach reports and have a look at them in matches. If you're happy with them, then sign them up permanently. Signing players blindly on free-transfers might not seem much of a risk, but you're stuck with their wage bill if they don't fit in, or perform poorly until you're able to move them on. Bear in mind, that won't be until the January transfer window.

Who I Signed...

Key First Team Signings

Iliasu Shilla - 27 year old Ghanaian - Defender (Centre) - Free Transfer

César Prates - 35 year old Brazilian with Portuguese 2nd nationality - Defender (Right) / D (L), WB (RL), DM, M © - Free Transfer

Ibrahima Faye - 30 year old Senegalese - Defender (Left) / D ©, WB (L) - Free Transfer

Sylvinho - 36 year old Brazilian with Spanish 2nd nationality - Defender (Left) / WB (L) - Free Transfer

Alex Sandro - 19 year old Brazilian who'll use one of your two foreign player slots - Striker - Free Transfer

Sebastiano Siviglia - 37 year old Italian - Defender (Centre) - Free Transfer

Moreira - 32 year old Guinea-Bissau with Portuguese 2nd nationality - Attacking Midfielder (Centre) / M © - Free Transfer

Alexandre N'Gadi - 19 year old French with Guinean 2nd nationality - Attacking Midfielder (Centre) / M (RC), AM ® - Free Transfer

Daniel Aquino - 20 year old Spanish - Striker / AM (L) - £500,000 from Real Murcia CF

Kevin Pannewitz - 18 year old German - Midfielder (Centre) - £2,300,000 (£500,000 up front, £1,300,000 over 48 months, £500,000 after 1x international game + 30% profit clause) from FC Hansa Rostock

Prominent Youth Signings

Hiago - 18 year old Brazilian - Attacking Midfielder (Centre) / Striker - £100,000 + 35% profit clause from EC Juventude

Nenê Bonilha - 18 year old Brazilian - Midfielder (Centre) / DM - £160,000 + 10% profit cause + friendly from Paulista FC

Aldair - 18 year old Brazilian - Striker - £45,000 from Joinville EC

Ueverton - 18 year old Brazilian - Striker - Free Transfer

Danilo - 19 year old Brazilian - Defender (Centre) - Free Transfer

Afonso - 18 year old Brazilian - Striker - £16,000 from SC Corinthians Alagoano

Esiel - 18 year old Brazilian - Attacking Midfielder (Centre) / M ©, ST - Free Transfer

Renê Santos - 18 year old Brazilian - Defender (Centre) - Free Transfer

Gonzalo Martínez - 18 year old Argentinian - Defender (Right) - £30,000 from Club Atlético Belgrano

Florentin Matei - 17 year old Romanian - Attacking Midfielder (Centre) / M (LC), AM (L) - Free Transfer

Raphaël Mutombo - 17 year old French - Defensive Midfielder / M © - Free Transfer

Who I Sold or Released...

Released everyone from the "B" team squad and terminated the loans of players on from Udinese who were in the "B" team. Importantly, I also went into "Team Settings" and unchecked the boxes which allow the "B" team manager to sign players, or negotiate contracts with players. This means that the "B" team won't ever sign players, without your authorisation. People often forget they can do this with their "B" teams, then usually complain on the forums about their "B" team spending silly money on players and contracts... :p

Granada - 30 year old Spanish - DM, M © - Sold to Melilla for £0

José Juan - 30 year old Spanish - Goalkeeper - Sold to Derby County for £130,000

Rubén Párraga - 25 year old Spanish - Defender (Left) / WB (L) - Sold to Pescara for £190,000

Juan José Collantes - 27 year old Spanish - Attacking Midfielder (Left) / AM ®, ST - Sold to Pescara for £500,000

Mikel Rico - 25 year old Spanish - Midfielder (Centre) / M ®, AM © - Loan fee of £65,000 + £200,000 option to move permanently to Cesena

Cant download this Granada Edit. Upload on other site please.

PS. OP i great!! I waiting for the rest and i beggining Granada save :)

Added the mediafire link, so hope that helps. :)

If anyone wants to download it and upload to any other file hosting sites, they're free to do so if they can share the links here too. I'll add them to the OP.

Whe be the rest OP? Do you upload your tactic?

After I've watched Manchester United, hopefully knocking Arsenal out of the F.A. Cup! ;)

I'll mention tactics that the club currently use, along with why the current squad suits them, but I'll also expand on any tactical discussion in a separate thread the Tactics forum, so I can go into more specific details.

Do you paste your save game like you do in Telford thread?

PS. Yeah i to watching Manchester but i no fan of other of this team im from Poland and i'm Juve fan :)

The save game I've started with Granada CF is very large and may not run smoothly for a lot of people. I've got lots of countries and leagues set as playable, plus a starting database of over 260,000 players set to start he game with. It will process between games quite slowly, but I never rush through saves anyway, so that never bothers me. I'm always usually in these forums somewhere when the game is processing anyway.

I have uploaded the small edit file though, that people can use if they wish, with however many countries, leagues and players, whatever database size they choose to start their save with.

PS: I was of course pleased with the United win though, especially seeing the Da Silva brothers playing as wingers! :p

Hi,sorry to be off topic but does this mean i will never see my B team (Valencia Mestalla) promoted to a playable league?

It depends on the club's reputation. Valencia Mestalla were in Segunda B a couple of season ago, so I would assume their reputation is one that would enable them to get back into Segunda B.

Yes, the higher reputation teams may stand a better chance. Assuming your B side is in the Tercero, the next tier down from the Segunda B, then they've as much chance of getting back up as any of the other 364 clubs at that level... :p

Without doubt, the best thread of FM11! Superb stuff, will give this ago some time :)
Superb thread. I think i'll start a save with Granada. :D

Happy to have wet your appetites with Granada CF.

Don't forget the link in post #1 you can follow, from the official website. Even if you don't understand Spanish too well, it's pretty easy to navigate. The second link will take you to match reports and video highlights of all their games so far this season.

Granada CF managed a creditable 1-1 draw away to Rayo Vallecano today. Next up is Celta Vigo at home.

Heath your threads are inspirational. Yet another thread wanting me to start a new save. A couple q's before i do

1. What are the board expectations like?

2. with those expectations what are the transfer and wage budgets like? much room to wiggle it around?

3. Are there any rules in the second div of spain regarding loanees? since Granada have a few i guess its important.

Monthly Update - July 2010

Transfers

IN:

Edu - free

Sylvinho - free

Cesar Prates - free

Ibrahim Gnanou - Ałania Wladykaukaz - £850

Results

Friendlys

Pavia 0-4 Granada

2' Dani Benitez

14' Geijo

70' Ighalo

76' Geijo

Campomaiorense 0-6 Granada

5' Cruz

10' Muriel

32' Muriel

36' Muriel

42' Cruz

87' Collantes

My formation is wide diamond. I make some staff changes. My new assistant is now Sidnei Lobo. And scout who observe players is Txema Noriega.

Heath your threads are inspirational. Yet another thread wanting me to start a new save. A couple q's before i do

1. What are the board expectations like?

2. with those expectations what are the transfer and wage budgets like? much room to wiggle it around?

3. Are there any rules in the second div of spain regarding loanees? since Granada have a few i guess its important.

1. To begin with it's "avoid relegation", however the chairman is quite ambitious (if you've used the edit file, to correctly have Enrique "Quique" Pina in charge).

2. I chose "promotion" as my aim, to reflect the real ambitions at the club, but there's not a great deal of budgetary difference between "mid table" and "winners". You'll mainly be looking at free agents, or deals with monthly payments for signings.

3. The only squad registration restrictions are a maximum of two non-EU players, excluding Africans. There's no limit on the number of loan players.

To begin with, you'll already have the best players you can get from Udinese. Longer term, it's worth keeping an eye on the Udinese squad, because you may be able to get even better players later on. There's nothing stopping you from looking for loan players from elsewhere though.

My formation is wide diamond. I make some staff changes. My new assistant is now Sidnei Lobo. And scout who observe players is Txema Noriega.

Sidnei Lobo looks very good, though he could have better Man Management, every other key attribute for an assistant is excellent. Good find.

Txema Noriega is a decent scout too, though I wouldn't have him set to scout opposition teams prior to playing them. I would have someone with high Tactical Knowledge. That said though, he's a fine scout for looking at players you're thinking of signing.

At the moment, I'm hunting around for a decent centre back, who can provide cover for Jonathan Mensah. He tends to be away quite a lot with the Ghana national team.

I'm scouting around for a few prospects, but have no transfer budget left to spend. I'll let you know who I manage to bring in.

Iñigo López can cover the position well enough, alongside Diego Máinz, but after that there's no other central defensive cover. Ideally, you should look to bring in another two central defenders, one of whom should have decent pace and acceleration for the "cover" role, assuming you're playing with a stopper/cover central defensive pairing.

What I'll probably do, is draw up a shortlist of suitable central defenders, then post the list here.

Iliasu Shilla - 27 year old Ghanaian D © (Free Transfer)

My search for a good central defender is over as far as I'm concerned. :)

Two Ghanaians in the centre of defence, now he's paired with Jonathan Mensah.

His decisions attribute isn't great and he's only mid-range pace and acceleration, but everything else is fine for a defender playing as a stopper.

Iliasu Shilla - 27 year old Ghanaian D © (Free Transfer)

My search for a good central defender is over as far as I'm concerned. :)

Two Ghanaians in the centre of defence, now he's paired with Jonathan Mensah.

His decisions attribute isn't great and he's only mid-range pace and acceleration, but everything else is fine for a defender playing as a stopper.

Had great succes with him on the previous version, easely sold for plus 7.5 mil after one season.

Monthly Update - August 2010

Transfers

IN:

Gael Etock - free

Paco Alcacer - Valencia - loan £300 + future transfer: £5M

Results

Friendlys

Granada 4-1 Udinese Calcio II

9' Mensah

38' Paolucci

73' Abel

86'Cuero

90+3' Orellana

Estepona 0-3 Granada

59' Geijo

67' Geijo

69' Siqueira

Granada 0-1 Chievo Verona

23' Pellissier

Liga Adelante

Betis Sevilla 1-2 Granada

6' Abel

67' Ruben Castro

89' Dani Benitez

Monthly Update - September 2010

Results

Copa del Rey 2. Rnd.

Cordoba CF 1-4 Granada

45+1' Ighalo

65' Orellana

69' Geijo

76' Callejon

88' Siqueira

Next round draw: Recreativo Huelva

Liga Adelante

Granada 2-1 Real Valladolid

17' Guerra

19' Cruz

82'(ogg.) Faria

Albacete 0-5 Granada

5' Ighalo

33' Dani Benitez

34' Abel

77' Geijo

79' De la Cuesta

88' Inigo Lopez

Granada 3-0 Ponferradina

13' Abel

33' Geijo

75'(ogg.) Del Olmo

Las Palmas 2-3 Granada

25' Vitolo

46' Geijo

52' Ighalo

56' Viera

75' Dani Benitez

Monthly Update - October 2010

Results

Liga Adelante

Granada 1-0 Girona

50' Lucena

Copa del Rey 3. Rnd.

Huelva 1-2 Granada

47' Geijo

68'(ogg.) Gnanou

114' Siqueira

Next round draw: Espanyol Barcelona

Liga Adelante

Salamanca 0-1 Granada

20'(ogg.) Perico

Granada 4-2 Rayo Vallecano

9' Ighalo

11'Susaeta

20' Orellana

43' Geijo

60' Delibasic

74' Abel

Celta Vigo 1-2 Granada

35' Rodriguez

73' Orellana

90+1' Ighalo

Copa del Rey 4. Rnd.

Granada 2-2 Espanyol Barcelona

68' Gnanou

70' Osvaldo

85' Javi Marquez

87' Ighalo

Liga Adelante

Granada 3-1 Xerez

17' Geijo

48' Abel

69' Barmejo

73' Geijo

Monthly Update - November 2010

Results

Liga Adelante

Cartagena 1-4 Granada

36'(ogg.) Cala

42' Orellana

47' Toche

50' Geijo

60' Dani Benitez

Copa del Rey 4. Rnd. 2 match

Espanyol Barcelona 2-3 Granada

38' Orellana

42' Callejon

75' Callejon

78' David Garcia

79' Gnanou

108' Orellana

Next round draw: Villareal

Liga Adelante

Granada 0-0 Barcelona At.

Numancia 0-3 Granada

30' Lucena

47' Geijo

75' Abel

Granada 2-1 Cordoba

8' Dani Benitez

20' Danobeitia

89' Orellana

Monthly Update - December 2010

Liga Adelante

Tenerife 0-1 Granada

90+2' Dani Benitez

Granada 6-0 Gimnastic Tarragona

6'(pen.) Cesar Prates

18' Abel

27' Ighalo

43' Geijo

81' Alcacer

87' Alcacer

Huesca 2-5 Granada

12' Dani Benitez

29' Bauza

39' Ighalo

43' Dani Benitez

47'(pen.) Galan

81' Ighalo

84'(ogg.) Benzoukane

Copa de Rey 5. Rnd. 1 match

Granada 1-2 Villarreal

4' Cazorla

14' Toivonen

53' Geijo

Not sure if it's just my game, but Pina has a wage and a contract which expires in 2014. Is that supposed to happen?

No wage that I can see myself. Strange... Did you use my edit file or the default 11.3 data?

Monthly Update - January 2011

Transfers

IN:

Miguel Angel Cordero - Xerez - £925

Carmelo - Sporting Gijon - £525

Tomas Horava - Sigma Olomuniec - £275 (join 01.07.2011)

Evgeny Aldonin - free

Chad Marshall - free

Andres Mosquera - free

OUT:

Rafa - Almeria - £100

Results

Liga Adelante

Granada 3-0 Alcorcón

12' Nyom

35' Dani Benitez

38' Mensah

54' Ighalo

Copa del Rey 5. Rnd. 2 match

Villarreal 3-2 Granada

27' Machado

31' Perez

38'(ogg.) Lopez

44' Senna

88'(pen.) Senna

Liga Adelante

Villarreal "B" 1-3 Granada

16' Orellana

28' Joselu

57' Geijo

90+1' Geijo

Elche 1-3 Granada

29' Geijo

30' Orellana

51' Dani Benitez

75' Palanca

Granada 2-2 Huelva

24' Kepa

60' Ighalo

70' Ighalo

65'(ogg.) Siqueira

Granada 0-0 Betis Sevilla

And my save has begun! Using my own 4-2-3-1, with what seems to be a similar starting 11 to Heath. Got Hazard cheaper though :) Also looking to bring in Paco Alcácer at some point, probably on loan, once he turns professional.

My backroom staff has 3.5* coaches for everything except Attacking and Shooting, which are 4*. GK and Fitness would be 5* in each of the roles, if the two roles in each category weren't covered by only one person...

Will update as I go.

Monthly Update - February 2011

Results

Liga Adelante

Real Valladolid 0-3 Granada

5' Ighalo

26' Ighalo

44' Ighalo

Granada 3-0 Albacete Balompie

57' Oranella

74' Verza

85' Geijo