FM11: Ultimate Gaffer

Gaffer.jpg

WELCOME TO THE FM11 VERSION OF THE ULTIMATE GAFFER

(Credit to Fudger and TheMightyDuck08 - here is their FM10 version!)

July 2010: You are a former semi-professional footballer looking for a break. You want to get into football management and you don’t care where. You just want to show the world that you are the best football manager that the world has ever seen. Forget Sir Alex, forget the ‘Special One’ Mourinho, forget Ancelotti, van Gaal, Guardiola and even Neil Warnock ... you will be the ‘Ultimate Gaffer’ ...

One small problem. You don’t manage a club. You are unemployed, most of the football world won’t even look at you. You are going to have to start right at the bottom and work your way up.

Once you’ve got yourself a job, then it’ll be time to prove yourself around the world. Or at least around Europe anyway! There are lots of trophies available for you to win. How many can you win? OK, you’re not going to be winning the Champions League in your first season but you can win the domestic leagues and build your reputation slowly. You can move anywhere and everywhere to win as many trophies as you like.

START A NEW GAME

Create a new game on Football Manager 11 with the latest database available to you.

The size of the database you choose is up to you. Obviously, the larger, the better. You may also add the top players from each continent. It’ll look something like THIS.

(Credit to Dafuge for the image!)

Attribute Masking: ON

Real Players: ON

First Window Transfer Budgets: ON

Real Fixtures: UP TO YOU

Add Key Staff: OFF

Add Players to Playable Teams: OFF

WHAT LEAGUES TO LOAD

You must load the following leagues:

ENGLAND (Premier League to League 2)

FRANCE (Ligue 1 to Ligue 2)

ITALY (Serie A to Serie B)

GERMANY (First Division to Second Division)

SPAIN (Liga BBVA to Liga Adelante)

+ ONE MORE LEAGUE

The final league is up to you and how far down you go is up to you too. Personally, I’ll use either SCOTLAND or the MLS but like I said, it’s completely your call.

Start the game on the first day of the ENGLISH season.

YOUR MANAGER

Create a manager in any way you want – nationality is your choice but be sensible about it. Just use your own nationality would be my advice.

He (or she) must be set to a SEMI PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALLER.

Tick the START UNEMPLOYED option. (Two clubs need a manager as the season starts: Hereford United in England and Oberhausen in Germany; there may be more depending on the extra nation you choose!)

Now you are ready to start your game. Apply for the available jobs or wait for others to come up. Please post your screenshot of your new manager when they are unemployed on the first day of the game.

POSTING A SCREENSHOT

• While in FM, press Alt and F9
  • A picture will be saved to a screenshots folder, in the FM11 folder in your documents
  • Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket
  • Post the direct Url to the image here.

Alternatively:

• While in FM, press CTRL and PRTSCR
  • Open PAINT or similar and paste the screenshot into there. Save it.
  • Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket
  • Post the direct Url to the image here.

LINKING TO A SCREENSHOT

When you want to post a screenshot, don’t just post the image in here. It breaks up the page and slows the loading time of the page up. When you are editing your post, look for the LINK symbol and use it. Or just post the URL.

RULES

• Player naming is allowed
  • Keep us up to date with your progress at regular intervals – at least one per season
  • Please don’t refer to downloaded tactics although discussion about tactics is allowed
  • Don’t use any methods of cheating – what would be the point of using the corner bugs, FMRTE etc ... ?
  • If you win a trophy, post a screenshot as proof
  • Don’t forget that you must post your manager profile on the first day of the game
  • Any other screenshots are acceptable as long as you don’t post them directly into the thread!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR JOURNEY TO BECOME THE ULTIMATE GAFFER!

GCB

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaffer.jpg

LEADERBOARD

• cookie15
    • League 2 title, Hereford United, Post 42
    • League 1 title, Crystal Palace, Post 80

LIST OF TROPHIES YOU COULD WIN

ENGLAND

• Premier League
  • nPower Championship
  • nPower League 1
  • nPower League 2
  • Carling Cup
  • FA Cup
  • Community Shield
  • Johnstone’s Paint Trophy

FRANCE

• Ligue 1
  • Ligue 2
  • French Cup
  • Coupe de la Ligue
  • French Champions Trophy

GERMANY

• First Division
  • Second Division
  • German Cup

ITALY

• Serie A
  • Serie B
  • Italian Cup
  • Super Cup

SPAIN

• Liga BBVA
  • Liga Adelante
  • Spanish Cup (Copa del Rey)
  • Spanish Super Cup

(INTER)CONTINENTAL

• Champions Cup (Champions League)
  • EURO Cup (Europa League)
  • European Super Cup
  • Club World Championship

PLUS:

Don’t forget the trophies that you could win with the teams in the extra nation that you choose to add.

Here is my manager profile: HERE

I've applied for the jobs at Hereford United, Oberhausen and Dundee. Let's see if I get any of them.

EDIT: I got a job quickly!

GCB2.jpg

Being the start of the season, I've got to be looking at doing a little wheeling and dealing to improve the side. My aims will be:

• Improve the squad
  • If near the top late on in the season, go for the title
  • Participate in and try best in Johnstone's Paint Trophy

If I can't get Hereford straight to a title win, the main thing is to make sure we can win it in Season 2. There's no point getting promoted unless it's by winning the title otherwise I'll miss out on the League 2 trophy!

This sounds like the sort of manager I'd enjoy. Here's my manager profile.

I've loaded Russia as my extra division.

Currently I'm unemployed and I've had three job applications rejected. Didn't fancy Hereford.

Welcome along for the ride. Glad someone has left Hereford alone.

In last years challenge, October and November saw the jobs start coming up.

I'll start this. Can I add down to BSN? Or is it strictly them? Also by one more league is it like the SPL in Scotland or can I add down to Division Three? Sorry for the questions.

You can had BSP/BSN/BSS if you wish but we're not counting the trophies won there.

If you add another country, you can add down to whichever league you want. I've chosen Scotland down to Division 3.

I was beginning to get bored with one other challenge I was doing and this one is going to make me quit it for good.

Say hello to Chris Hatton, the new ex-footballer that wants to be a manager.

I decided to add the MLS as my extra league.

So far I'm unemployed waiting for the inevitable job offers to roll in. :thup:

After a year of sitting around doing nothing, I have finally managed to land a job with Mordovia Saransk in the Russian First Division (the second tier). Currently, after 19 games, they are 17th and in the relegation zone but they are in touching distance of the team above them. With 19 games to go, I reckon I can turn this around and acheive a comfortable mid-table position.

HEREFORD 0-3 Swansea City

Ebbsfleet United 0-6 HEREFORD

Bromley 0-5 HEREFORD

HEREFORD 2-4 Blackpool

HEREFORD 2-1 Doncaster Rovers

HEREFORD 6-1 Fisher Athletic

4 wins, 2 defeats in pre-season against three teams who were above me in the league standings, am happy with that. The hammering from Swansea was days after I took over before I'd had chance to start shaping my squad.

I had a small transfer budget so I brought in two players for cash. I spent £10K on Marc Bridge-Wilkinson from Carlisle and another £10K on Steve Tully from Exeter. Both League 1 players but both capable of making a real difference in League 2. Bridge-Wilkinson will be valuable from set pieces.

Overall, I've filled the squad with pace, technique and improved it considerably - I hope. All my strikers are scoring, morale is high.

Bring on Port Vale at Edgar Street!

Good Pre-season and transfers GCB, though I think you overspent on Marc Bridge-Wilkinson.

I'm trying this out as well, but after 38 job applications FAILED. I'm still waiting. LOL.

That was the same for me, I had 40 job appliacations until Port Vale decided to take pity on me and offer me the job.

Table - Yes they are 23rd after 15 games played with only 14 points but I think I can managed to get them clear and maybe push for mid-table by end of the season, as this league is quite tight as only 14 points separate me and top position.

I'll update you on any transfers or staff appointments that I make soon.

Hereford Utd - Mini Update (Season 1)

Well pre-season has been and gone and i have had a chance to have a look at the squad and see where we need to improve (IMO). First task was to complete the backroom staff, so an advert was placed for Assistant Manager. The response was pretty good, but the lucky recipient was Paul Mortimer. He hasn't much managerial experience but he has played at clubs like Charlton, Aston Villa, Crystal Palace and Bristol City. So i'm hoping that he will be able to use his knowledge to help the team achieve a trophy in my first season in charge.

The other interesting news was a link with a Premiership club. The Potters have decided to allow a number of their younger players to ply their trade at Hereford and hopefully push the team on.

Players in: Matthew Lund, Danzelle St. Louis-Hamilton, Florent Cuvelier (all on loan from Stoke), Benjamin Siegrist (on loan from Aston Villa) and James Ashmore (Free)

Players out: None (yet!)

Pre-Season since i took over-

Colchester - Lost 1-2

Carisle - Lost 0-4

Aston Villa Reserves - Lost 0-1

Millwall - Won 1-0

Not a great pre-season, but things improved when the loan players arrived. I'll post any updates in the transfer market and the progress after the first 10 league games.

Thanks for getting this up and running mate, greatly appreciate it and love this challenge! I have chosen Portugal as my extra league and added the top two divisions of it only. So before I start holidaying and applying for jobs, I give to you....Gareth Stitt

GarethStittProfile_Personal-2.png

GarethStittProfile_Attributes.png

Good luck to you all!

Well my first season has just ended at Chesterfield. When I took over they were 18th...I guided them to 16th - 22 points from the relegation zone and just 9 points from a play-off spot. Brought in a French goalkeeper - Anthony Basso - on a free and he did the job rightly. Also brought in Gavin Hoyte on loan for my last 10 games. Now to bring on a summer of discontent where Im trying to get players to resign their contracts with the lack of money I can offer them!!

Managerial record:-

P11 W5 D3 L3

GCB, I am just having a play around with this to see which extra league to add. Anyway I have the official suggested data changes database file installed which offers up a couple of alternative jobs to begin with, just wanted to ask whether it is acceptable :D

I don't see why not. Hopefully, you won't get the Blades job though!

Pre Season over! Only defeat was at home to Cardiff and I managed to beat Championship side Norwich 3-1. Also brought in 11 players and got rid of 7 "deadwood" managing to get the wage bill down! Im on 25k a week wage bill for total club (inc staff)

ChesterfieldTransfers_History.png

Season is just about to start home to Hereford and then home to Hull in League Cup (glamour tie)

This is the year I push for the title!

I don't see why not. Hopefully, you won't get the Blades job though!

I did actually get offered it straight away whilst I was playing through and scanning the Russian league, unsure whether I'll accept it as you lot seem to be starting much lower down. Will load up the proper game in the morning once I have downloaded a few skins and graphics packs to admire and see how I feel about moving to Sheffield :thup:

Oh, and something odd happened. I let the game holiday on just to see if any other jobs came up, and I was offered the Derby job but the game didn't stop holidaying despite the button being ticked. Needless to say the board were unimpressed that my holidaying and continual applications to other clubs weren't going down well /o\

So I am the new manager of Cowdenbeath. I have signed a one year deal on £1k a week. Here is my manager profile part 1 and part 2. They have already been relegated and have one game to play. Time to beign the preparation for next season. I want to achieve back to back promotions and then move.

Remember that it is important to win the trophies!

Gareth Stitt - Chesterfield Season Two - League Two - January Update

Well so far this season has been miserable! Went through August without being defeated in the league and was as high as 4th by the end of the month. Sadly, there's been a decline since and we've fallen rather ungracefully to 18th - the position they were when I took the job 10 months ago. My objective was a respectable league position (top half) and hopefully we'll do that. Not too far off the playoffs spot, but it'd take a minor miracle. Here's hoping!

npowerLeague2Information_LeagueTable.png

Hereford Mid-season update

(Season 1)

As you can see things have gone far better than i could have dreamed of. We've played some great stuff and we've just got to hold things together for the remainder of the season.

2010MidSeason.png

Sadly, we got knocked out of the JPT by Plymouth who went on to reach the final. We didn't disgrace ourselves at all and lost away from home 1-0, not bad all things told.

League cup, we didn't fair much better to be honest and left the competition in the first round.

Players:

Stuart Fleetwood has been a star for us bagging a fair few goals, but 4 months on the sideline with a torn hamstring has been a real pain!

Dan Connor, my GK, is a bit of a penalty expert and has scored 4 from 4. My loan signings have played their part, but since i last updated i've bought in a couple of half decent players.

Ismael Fofana was free and i playing out of his skin. Daniel Gbaguidi was my only purchase (£10K) and he's been pretty useful too.

I have signed a new AMC/ST who will join us in January when his contract expires. He's a Guinea Biseau International and goes by the name of Boubacar Balde, but we'll see what he adds to the party.

All the best everyone ;)

Well, it only took a month and a half and I'm off to the second tier of Portugese football to manage Varzim Sport Clube! To be honest I've never heard of them either....

I have 6 matches left and am currently 2 points from the relegation zone. This isnt looking too good!! Also, take note, they havent won a match since 2nd February and its now 12th April!

Just realised those links dont work so:-

VarzimSportClubeVarzim_Players.png

VarzimSportClubeVarzim_Fixtures.png

LigaOranginaInformation_LeagueTable.png

Gareth Stitt - End of Season 2 - Varzim Sport Clube - Liga Orangina

6 games to save our season...Won 3 Lost 3! He's managed to keep Varzim alive for another season! Trying to built up my portugese here so I can take on a bigger job - though if Im offered a job in England over the summer, I would take it! I managed to bring in ex Portugal defender Rui Jorge as my assistant, though as much as I enjoy playing in Portugal, I know nothing about this league!!

Bring on Season 3 and hopefully a trophy!!

LigaOranginaInformation_LeagueTable-2.png

I was going to start a journeyman career game regardless, but this thread seems as good a place as any to tag alongside it. Having spent the better part of a day and a half getting the graphics in order (including a reinstall) I am good to go.

The overarching objective for my game will be winning the Champions League with Aston Villa, whilst along the way gaining the achievements outlined in this thread. Here is newly qualified manager Tomaldinho, his personal profile and his inbox showing the available jobs. It may be too soon for the Blackburn job but I'll be sending them my CV just to be sure :cool:

Edit: Oh, and the extra league I added was the top division in Portugal :thup:

Hereford 2010 - Season completed

Well as i stated in a previous post at the mid way point in the season, things had been going better than could have ever been expected. The question was could we maintain our position and cap a first season trophy?

Well here it is the final league table:

LeagueTable.png

As you can see things went brilliantly and Marcus Evan Cook managed to secure his first trophy in the form of the League 2 Championship. I also managed to wrap up another award, but not sure that it counts in this challenge!

ManofYear10.png

I have made a bit of a bold decision :confused:

My contract was for a year and i have decided to let it run out and see what happens when i start from scratch again. So i began holidaying again 1st July 2011 and would carefully select my new team....

Update - In October i was offered the Port Vale job, who were propping up the bottom of League 2, so i declined.

Then in November I was offered the Bradford job, i decided to delay for a week and see if anything else came up.

4 days later i was offered a contract by Crystal Palace, the were 15th in League One having been relegated. Could they bounce back and secure yet another trophy for Evan Cook's trophy cabinet?

As you may guess i have taken the job. They've played 15 games and are 10 points adrift of top spot.......let the fun begin :cool:

Archived