[FM11] Revie was my hero.

E.Gray

Hello this is my first post on the forums, been playing Football Manager since 99/00, had a fantastic career on fm 10 but using someone else's tactics...it was very fun, but not really satisfying, So this year I am gonna start a Journey man career using my own tactics for the first time since 06/07.

This is my set up:

Database: Large

Leagues Loaded:

England: The home of football, fantastic place to start/spend a career, so many great clubs that can be taken from the Championship to European Greatness, hopefully I will be appointed manager of my hometown team Leeds United at some point.

Spain: Had some great memories playing in Spain, world champions, loaded the 2 top divisions because Betis, Deportivo la coruna, Real Sociedad tend to hang around division 2 and the lower half of Liga BBVA, all 3 clubs fantastic for building a european squad around.

Italy: 2 Top Leagues loaded, important big clubs, had to have the Italians league, Hopefully Inter Milan continue there success with Juventus alongside them, Here hoping AC Milan continue the trend of debt ridden nothingness ;)

Germany: Never played in germany before, again I have the 2 top leagues loaded, can't see spending too much of my career here, but my might be fun seeing if Bayern Munich can fall from grace (wishful thinking).

http://www.imagelodge.net/imgs/tommyguns/Screen-shot-2010-11-08-at-00-52-116yd.png

My profile:

http://www.imagelodge.net/imgs/tommyguns/Screen-shot-2010-11-08-at-00-54-12o2g.png

One more final thing, i want to be professional in every aspect since this what the Don would of wanted, so i won't be turning down a job opportunity just because of real life dislike, i will want to be at clubs with the biggest attendence, be most payed etc pretty much anything that will advance my career.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woking - Blue Square Bet South - 2010/2011

Right after spending a few months on holiday, then the opportunity of Woking popped up, to be honest i would of taken any job going, but to have the highest supported club in the league approach me was very exciting. The team was 20th when i was appointed.

League Table:

http://www.imagelodge.net/imgs/tommyguns/Screen-shot-2010-11-08-at-01-57-331in.png

Was pretty much a horrid season for everyone involved, squad confidence was down the toilet and the lack of real talent was there for everyone to see, the only plus points was that i started a decent scouting system with a good Assistant to work alongside me and the two fantastic signings that we found and the hope they offer for a decent season next year.

Competitions - Nothing really to talk about.

Key Players Profiles

Christophe Lemaire - Striker, AM C.

http://www.imagelodge.net/imgs/tommyguns/Screen-shot-2010-11-08-at-02-18-561uc.png

Kayne McLaggon - Striker, AM R.

http://www.imagelodge.net/imgs/tommyguns/Screen-shot-2010-11-08-at-02-16-17mww.png

These are two that i signed, both are fantastic players for this level and with pretty much the strikers sorted out, i can crack on with the rest of the team.

Career Overview

2010/2011

Team: Position: Achievements:

Woking 8th First Season in management

(will later install more of a professional looking record.)

Next Season

Promotion, hopefully winner, but it gonna take quite a few transfers.

Woking - Blue Square Bet South - 2011/2012

I can't put down in words how angry, frustrated and disappointing this season has been. After building a fantastic squad of players, most which were scouted before the window had opened (somthing i've never done in non league football before) i felt so confident that my squad would deliver on the promise that had been made with the board which was to bring the league title back and for most part of the season i was right, at times we almost laughed at the rest, we had two great runs both lasting 13 and the latter 12 games, with the 12 games been all league matches, with 7 matches to go costly sitting in 3rd place chasing the league leaders Ebbsfleet and Hampton & Richmond down, my luck went completely missing collecting a pathetic 5 points from our 6 games...... this has left us 1 crappy point off the play offs with the last game against 4th place St Albans, we took the lead with a fantastic strike from Scott Kay in the 6 min... happy days, until they hit us back just before half time what happened after that was a disgrace, our captain got him self sent off, conceded a pen and ended on an 4-1 thrashing.

League Table

Nothing to much too report with the cup runs:

FA Cup

FA Trophy

Squad

Transfers

Key Players

Liam Head - I think the only striker i signed in the summer - fantastic record with 24 goals in 37 games, including 6 asts and 7 Man Of the Match awards + top league goal scorer.

Christophe Lemaire - Played 36 times, Scored 16 Goals with 5 Asts and 4 Man of The Match award.

Courtney Cameron - Captain at 19, played pretty well all season apart from last game.

Career Overview

Season     Team                 Country    League                   League Finish    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/2011       Woking              UK         Blue Square South         17th          Started Management career
2011/2012       Woking              UK         Blue Square South          7th          1 point off Play offs

Next Season

Who knows, my contract is up in the summer and my job status is now insecure, i will most likely leave because i don't think i can bear much more of this league.

Update

After long and hard decision i decided to leave Woking by not signing a new contract, after last season the club has lost it magic and plus i never liked the idea of managing in London anyway too far away from home.

I have happily accpected the offer of manager at Alfreton Town FC, they are currently 19th with 3 points off relegation.

480px-AlfretonTownFC-svgd4g.png

So you go from Conference South to North... which is essentially the same league and you had had enough of the South. :D

That was a little white lie, i thought that i had a better chance of been appointed at a better club.... but after 6 months of eating 7p Tesco Peaches while waiting for a job, it seemed that i made a error :o

Or you could say that up north is were all the winners live......... not like my team who bottled it :mad:

Unlucky on missing out on the playoffs. Good luck with Alfreton though

Can you tell me if Hampton & Richmond won the playoff though? (fingers crossed)

They did and then my game froze up, had to restart and they lost to Bath in the final :(.

Alfreton Town - Blue Square Bet North - 2012/2013

After quitting Woking out of pure frustration, i went looking for a job that was bit higher up in the league chain and what a silly move that was, couldn't find a decent job anywhere, so when the Alfreton Town job popped up i took it with both hands with the intention of not leaving until i had got the club promoted. The club was sitting just dangling it feet above the relegation zone with only 7 games to go when i arrived, out of them 7 games i collected 6 points which did the job, on looking at the sqaud there certainly some talent in there but with most of it been diluted with pure crap, so i know that the summer will be busy, so to help me i've brought in one of my old trusty scout from woking, with a new asst man and club legend ryan france as coach.

League Table

Key Players:

Will post Key Players, when finishing the next season.

Career Overview

Season     Team                 Country    League                   League Finish    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/2011       Woking              UK         Blue Square South         17th          Started Management career
2011/2012       Woking              UK         Blue Square South          7th          1 point off Play offs  
2012/2013       Alfreton Town       UK         Blue Square North         19th          Saved From Relegation 

Next Season

Build a team from the mess that i have inherited with the aim of mid-table this season, with a view to push on into the top 5 the season after.

Thanks Gio, i agree this level seems luck of the draw at times.

Update

Yes yes and yes, just finished the 2013/2014 season.... 5th !!!!!! We nearly messed it up again, but a late goal saved me and we just crept threw with 1 point !!!

Been drawn against 2nd place team AFC Telford, will do live updates in the 1 hour if anyone watching,

Right here i go wish me luck.

Play-Off Semi Final Leg 1

Alfreton Town F.C. 1 - 0 A.F.C. Telford United

Attendance: 2339

Match Report

Feeling very relieved more then pleased, we take 1 goal lead to there ground with no away goals conceded which is invaluable, too be honest we were played off the pitch, but with we finally had some luck and i've got a good feeling we are gonna sneak though, just having a beer so i can stay calm for the second leg ;)

Was very nice to see the ground packed, normally we only get about 250 people in the ground, but they turned out in style amd the money will be very good for our balance.

Play-Off Semi Final Leg 2

A.F.C. Telford United 1(1) - 3 (4) Alfreton Town F.C.

Attendance: 3704

Match Report

In pure ecstasy, performance of the season, just fantastic from Pittman who has been our best striker this season, but really suffers from nerves so i took a risk and told him pressure off, it worked wonders and the performance was fantastic, i am so stoked to be in the final, we were really the best team on the pitch which is so surprising because our away form has been poor, but we turned up alrite !!! now onto the final.

Play-Off Final Preview

Corby Town F.C vs Alfreton Town F.C

Preview

Feelings:

I am really mixed, it really could go either way, i just believe this is our year.

Tactics:

Attacking 4-4-2 i must have to, this is our home tactic and our most successful plus if we don't go for it, ill regret it even more.

Facts:

In our last 8 meetings Alfreton have not won a single game..... sounds like it our time (cross fingers)

Play-Off Final

Corby Town F.C 3 - 3 Alfreton Town F.C.

Pens

2-3

Attendance: 1496

Match Report

Take a bow Jon-Paul Pitman, what a fantastic heart beating ending to the season. To be honest even though i am Leeds Fan, i must admit this match feels so close in spirit to the Champions League Final in 1999. I am so happy that we will be playing Blue Square Premier football next season, one more step towards league football, hopefully prove that at least my reputation is local/regional.

Ill update with a full season review soon, hopefully including highlights on youtube.

Alfreton Town - Blue Square Bet North - 2013/2014

Bad start, fantastic season what started with a awful pre season and start to the season but after just playing the waiting game, the team finally gelled and got on with a successful campaign, i felt that this was our time this year, we just had that winning spirit, scoring in the last min, getting draws when we should of lost, we did have a mini wobble in the last couple of games but all was ok when we secured our point in the last game, the play-offs semis were against a tough side Afc Telford, who should of beaten us in the first leg 1 but ended up losing and then us outperforming them in the 2nd leg, the final was just out of this world this is were we showed our winning spirit, going 2 nil behind, we came back twice in the 120 mins... was just amazing, penalties awaited us and we just held our nerve, winning promotion to Blue Square Premier.

League Table

Cup Runs:

FA Cup

FA Trophy

Transfers

Notice, Kyle and Liam who were fantastic woking players for me.

Key Players

Jon - Paul Pitman, best player in the squad this season, highest goal scorer in the team, scored the vital goal in the play-off final, overall just amazing. Scored 19 in 44.

Danny Holland - Could be playing league 2 football, but decided to stick with the club and that why he captain, plus he is a superb player for us.

Liam Head - My old favorite striker from woking, join me on a free was very surprised, they let him go, but thank god they did, 14 goals this season is something we can be proud about.

Career Overview

2012/2013       Alfreton Town       UK         Blue Square North         19th          Saved From Relegation 
2013/2014       Alfreton Town       UK         Blue Sqaure North          5th          Promoted Via Play-offs

Next Season

Gonna be tough next season, pretty much the same budget, must be one of the smallest teams in the league, but looking forward to it !!!!

Oh and by the way woking got promoted this season as well !! can't wait to play them ;)

update

Full update on its way,

Just been relegated to the BSN with York, i am so surprised, the squad had a alot of quality, maybe it was my tactics but there the same ones i used for promotion, so i don't have a clue to be honest.

Oh and guess who relegated me, old club woking :(

updateOh and guess who relegated me, old club woking :(

Typical football throwing stories like that up.

You going to stick around at York. Sometimes the best thing you can do is get relegated, ge your house in order with the aim of getting promoted and being stronger for it.

Typical football throwing stories like that up.

You going to stick around at York. Sometimes the best thing you can do is get relegated, ge your house in order with the aim of getting promoted and being stronger for it.

I have stayed at York, but to be honest i don't know how long ill last, the entire team are tied up on big contracts, had to let go 3 of my best players because they were bringing team spirit down.

It just so frustrating been in non league, i can't devise tactics that would help me paper over the cracks... it bloody pathetic that i can't even press teams which i normally get them to do.

York City - Blue Square Bet Premier - 2014/2015

Ok worst season to date, obviously originally started off with Alfreton, had a tiny budget and so i kept the same players on board for that season, when i left the club we were 17th. On joining York City, who were placed 22nd in the league, i couldn't help but feel this is the club that would take me to league football, lmao but how wrong i was. The sqaud in my eyes was good enough to stay up and my tactics had gotten me promoted the year before, but something was dangerously missing from that team and i still have not really figured what went wrong, but it did and we crashed out of the premier league agaisnt my lovely old side woking (who got promoted :mad:)

League Table

Cup Runs:

There was nothing worth the screenshot.

Transfers:

Nothing here.

Key Players

None they were all poo.

Career Overview

Season     Team                 Country    League                   League Finish    Achievements/Landmarks  
2013/2014       Alfreton Town       UK         Blue Square North          5th          Promoted Via Play-offs  
2014/2015       York City           UK         Blue Square Premier       22nd          Relegated to BSN.

Next Season

Since i've been late in posting this, i can tell you i did not stay at York, but when i got relegated i was in two minds weather to leave or not and that was mostly down to weather the players were gonna perform for me or not.

Forest Green Rovers - Blue Square Bet South - 2015/2016

Leaving York was the low point of my career what followed has changed my outlook on football management and how my team should be playing, this change is that i will be concentrating on performances rather then results. When the Forest job was offered, i would of before thrown the offer in the bin because of the club statue, resources, but this was me thinking differently and what i saw is a club that i can mold from top to bottom instead of looking at the club as a stepping stone, plus the badge is very similar to a famous Spanish club that you may know, which is the sort of football style i would like to have my team emulate with 4-5-1 fluid attacking football, getting the ball down on the deck, with possession the key instead of the number of shots that we have on goal. When i arrived the team was 16/17th place, i brought in two players one was old trusty Liam Head (striker) and much later in the season Damien Mozika (Defensive Midfielder) with the new football ideology it took a couple of games to iron out, but even when losing the football was miles better and much pleasing to the eye, when we had got used to the style of play, we picked up and looked like we could beat anybody, strong at the back, fast in attack while playing the ball on the deck, we ended up finishing 12th, which is a new record for the highest position in the first season when been appointed to a new club.

League Table

Squad

Key Players

Scott Dillon - Best Striker at the club this season, for this level he got the pace, skill and teamwork to become one of the best in the league.

Career Stats

Damien Mozika - Only played four games this season because he is my latest signing, but he played very well in the last two games will be one to watch next season.

Darrell Harris - Plays on the left wing high up the pitch, got good speed, chips in with goals here and there, tons of flair and decent crossing ability makes him good player in this league.

Career Overview

Season     Team                 Country    League                   League Finish    Achievements/Landmarks  
2013/2014       Alfreton Town       UK         Blue Sqaure North          5th          Promoted Via Play-offs  
2014/2015       York City           UK         Blue Square Premier       22nd          Relegated to BSN
2015/2016       Forest Green Rovers UK         Blue Square South         12th          Appointed Manager

Next Season

Continue playing free flowing football, with hopefully promotion alongside it.

Forest Green Rovers :)

Thanks for taking an interest, have you nearly finished your forth season with Droylsden ?

l like the idea of this free flowing football at Forest Green. I decided to do a similar thing at Droylsden after 1 and half years of trying direct football with aggressive tactics. I now play a nicer passing game (or try to anyways!).

Congrats on the best ever 1st season finish. Do you find that the 4-5-1 fluid system got you scoring goals?

I have about 9 or so games to go until the end of the season, its been interesting! Make sure you read my update when its up soon

Forest Green Rovers - Blue Square Bet South - 2016/2017

High Hopes of my free flowing football ideology leading me to glory was dashed in the worst second half of the season ever experienced during my 10/11 years playing this game and the only saving grace was that the first half was equally the opposite leading me to 2nd just before Christmas, so what went wrong ? my personal opinion was that our weak defense finally caught up with us combined with the inability of scoring because the two wingers didn't finish enough chances and our main striker got marked out of the match, our football was great but i think at this level, the players struggle to turn our domination into results and that why i will dropping this kind of football for next season which is very disappointing.

League Table

Squad

Cup Runs

FA Cup

FA Trophy

Key Players

Craig Hunter - Main striker all season 16 goals with 9 mom is very impressive and i can't wait until next season when he has someone else standing alongside him.

Career Stats

Neil Smith - Played well all season, not too much else to add but he was a rock all season.

Career Stats

Darrell Harris - Captain of the side, did well getting 6 goals and 3 mom from the wing, did suffer some injuries thought out the season, but he did very well on the wing.

Career Overview

2014/2015       York City           UK         Blue Square Premier       22nd          Relegated to BSN 
2015/2016       Forest Green Rovers UK         Blue Square South         12th          Appointed Manager 
2016/2017       Forest Green Rovers UK         Blue Sqaure South          9th                 - 

Next Season

Get back to playing football that will offer us a chance at promotion.

What style of football are you moving to then? Tad more direct?

Still, 9th is a good season . With the right players in you can offer a realpromotion push next time round.

Yep direct attacking football, you could be right but the second half of the season has really destroyed my confidence in passing football for this division.

Forest Green Rovers - Blue Square Bet South - 2017/2018

Very Close, very proud of what the team achieved here, such a shame we could not nick second place, but in my opinion we did well with the limited resources, as our team lacked depth. We did well and truly get beat by a better side in the play offs losing 6-3 in aggregate to Bishop Stortford, the tactics we used was direct attacking football, which proved far more effective then the passing game last season.

League Table

Squad

Cup Runs

FA Cup

FA Trophy

Key Players

Craig Hunter - Poor compared to last season, Pressure got to him.

Career Stats

I am sure i took more screenshots of our better players, but i've lost them. But if you look at the sqaud, our defenders were vastly improved.

Career Overview:

2016/2017       Forest Green Rovers UK         Blue Square South          9th                 -  
2017/2018       Forest Green Rovers UK         Blue Square South          3rd          Play Off Semi Finals 

Next Season

Hopefully the board will increase the budget or they drop there expectations to a more realistic level, if the budget does increase then we should be aiming for the title.

Update

Quite alot has happened since my Last Season with Forest Green,

First of all, i left Forest which is a shame because i did enjoy my time and the squad was talented but compact, The real reason i left is because the board refused to increase the wage budget as i was already spending 400 pounds over the 2.4k per week and they expected me with out reason to win the league, which is just pure madness considering how small the squad was when i balanced the wage budget out, so that it i left.

Pretty Quickly i joined Gainsborough Trinity which had just dropped down from the Premier, very good squad but never really got them playing for me while i was there, had some of the worst crowds i had ever seen with 100 to 250 turning our for the match, left in January, as never really saw much future at the Club.

What followed was the rest of the season of topping up my tan, until the 25th of june came around and then i was appointed manager of FC United, which is pretty weird for me because Leeds is on there most Fierce Rivals but the club has great attendances and when discovering the budget i had been given, it could only add to the already over flowing list for reasons why i should join, plus i really needed to make professional move in my career as i really need a vehicle for abtaining league football after going with pie in the sky Forest Green Rovers.

Sad to seeyouleave Forest Green Rovers as you made great progress inyour 3 years there. FC Unitd is a great job to get and as you have said, it should give you the perfect platfrom to achive league footie - best of luck!

What crowds you getting now then?

It was a great shame leaving Forest and i wish them well for the future, They had horrible time after i left the club that season

Crowds were currently getting are 1280, which is about the same i had at woking, FC United had a great budget when i arrived, 6k per week in wages and 125 k in transfer money which you can imagine is just mind blowing after been at Forest with nothing but fluffy lint to spend.

FC United - Blue Square Bet North - 2019/2020

Champions Champions Champions, finally i have won a league title and it feels fantastic, this is hopefully the marking point where my career takes a turn for the better. FC United gave me a generous budget much similar to what a club like York would spend and it took them 3/4 seasons to achieve promotion, where we did in 1 season and how fantastic we were, i decided to go back too the nice free attacking flowing football i had tryed to craft at Forest Green Rovers but this time learning from my mistakes, i decided 4-4-2 would be used and that fitted the bill, we out passed every team in the league and kept one of the most water sealed tight defenses ever to grace the league conceding only 27 goals in the entire campaign, we were unlucky not to equal or beat the record total of points which we just missed out by 1 point, but in the end it does not matter as we were out of this world, winning the league with 5 games to go.

Reactions

Game where we clinched the title

I am on the favoured personnel list

League Table when confirmed champions

League Table

Squad

Transfers

Friendlies

Included my pre-season because the win against Oldham was called a "historic victory"

Cup Runs

FA Cup

FA Trophy

As you can see i didn't reach very far and that was on purpose, needed all my stars fit for the league.

Blue Square Bet North Manager of the Season

I am absolutely bloody furious about this, i took a team who were relegation candidates to being League Champions in one season and they put me behind two losers,

James Tose - Did well this season, his team finished 3rd in the league and he reached the FA Trophy final, yet he lost in the semi final of the play offs and came runner up in the FA Trophy should of been runner up.

Mike Edwards - How the hell did he get here ? finished 6th in the league, lost in the semi final of the play offs, yet finishes in front of me, plus Bradford PA have been in that league for a couple of seasons, just mind boggling.

Key Players

Dean Collins - Bow down to Dean Collins, bow down to Dean Collins, What a signing, smashed his way though the league like nobodies business and ended up with every award you could throw at him only £190 per week.

Career Stats Player of the Season Top Goalscorer award

Nathan Craig - Fantastic defender, got injured for around 2 months and you tell me missed him straight away, part of the rock solid defence.

James Peacock - Part of the rock solid defence, utter fantastic when dealing with tricky wingers.

James Baker - The great goal keeper that did his job when asked, Lincoln who are League 2 offered a transfer for him but gently as i could turned it down.

Career Stats

Forest Green Rovers

League Standing

Would you believe it, they also won there league, which is a fantastic achievement for there manager Richard Wright, but i am very very angry with the board, after looking at there squad, i decided to add the wage budget up and guess what it was 3.5 k per week, now mine was 2.4k and i reckon with the extra grand i would of won the league hands down, which is why i am fuming, because it would of been amazing to finally take them to the premier after all the hard work i put in.

Craig Hunter - Remember him ? the guy i signed for Forest, he has now gone on and signed for Derby County in League 1 and has ended up with 16 goals that season, so well done to him and even more well done to me for signing him in the first place.

Career Stats

Career Overview:

2016/2017       Forest Green Rovers UK         Blue Square South          9th                 -   
2017/2018       Forest Green Rovers UK         Blue Square South          3rd          Play Off Semi Finals  
2018/2019       Gainsborough TrinityUK         Blue Square North           -           Left in January 
2019/2020       FC United           UK         Blue Sqaure North          1st          League Champions

Next Season

Well the club has the resources to push for promotion, so i won't be holding back, one thing is for sure i will be trying my utmost to win the FA Trophy

Sounds like you and FC United are a good match. Good luck with getting to the football league.

Cheers mate !

Congrats mate, great season there. Sounds like you have repaid the faith given to you by the FC United hierarchy. Keep up the good work. Did Craig Hunter's move to Derby get Forest green any dosh (ie. sell on %)

Thanks :D, I just checked and it was just the 22k upfront.......17k of which they gave to Richard Wright in Transfer money grrrrr and there spending more wage money then i thought, 4.1k per week now.

Archived