FM11: FC St. Pauli Thread

JoeCFC

Welcome

to the FM11 St. Pauli Thread

FC_St_Pauli.png

A Brief History

FC St. Pauli begain it's existance in 1899 as an informal group of football enthusiasts within the Hamburg-St. Pauli Turn-Verein 1862. Officially established on the 15th May 1910, the club played as St. Pauli TV until 1924, when a seperate side name St. Pauli were formed. The Club made it's first appearance in 1934 in the top-flight Gauliga Nordmark and were immediately relegated, but returned in 1936. After a second relegation in 1940, St. Pauli re-appeared in the Gauliga Hamburg in 1942, and played there until the end of World War II.

After the war, St. Pauli played in the Oberliga Nord, until a second-place finish in the 1947-48 season led to the clubs first appearnce in the national championship rounds, in which they reached the semi-finals. St. Pauli continued to play well throughout the 1950s, but were unable to overtake rivals Hamburger SV, finishing in second place in five out of the next seven seasons.

After the formation of the Bundesliga in 1963, St Pauli found themselves in the second-tier Regionalliga Nord, where they remained for nearly fifteen years, regularly losing in the playoffs. St. Pauli joined the 2.Bundesliga in 1974 and eventually won the division and promotion the top-flight in 1977 but were relegated in their first season. After relegation, the team were on the verge on bankcruptcy and were denied a license for the 1980-81 season and were sent down to the Oberliga Nord (III). By 1984 the club had recovered financially and had regained promotion to the 2.Bundesliga.

In the mid-1980s St. Pauli's transition into a "Kult" club began. An alternative fan scene emerged, built around left-leaning politics and supporters adopted the skull and crossbones as their own unofficial emblem. St. Pauli became the first team to officially ban right-wing nationalist activities and displays in it's stadium and in the late 1990s the club was regularly filling it's 20,000 capacity ground.

The club again won promotion to the Bundesliga in the 2001-02 season, however, they finished last in the league and were relegated. The club went close to bankruptcy again and were faced with the prospect of the Regionalliga Nord (III). The club began fund-raising activities, including a benefit game against Bayern Munich and the sale of more than 140,000 t-shirts in six weeks. After relegation to the Regionalliga Nord (III) the club won promotion back to the 2.Bundesliga in the 2007/08 season and to the Bundesliga in the 2009/10 season.

Supporters

The majority of St. Pauli fans regard themselves as anti-racist, anti-facist and anti-sexist, a stance which has brought them into conflict with neo-Nazi's and hooligans at away games. St. Pauli also take pride in having the largest number of female fans in German Football. St. Pauli is also a worldwide symbol for punk and related subcultures, with the teams brown and white jerseys being worn by many international artists.

Club Information

Nation - Germany

Year Founded - 1910

Status- Professional

Reputation- National

Chairman Status - Enjoying life at the club

Legends – Holger Stanislawski

Icons – André Tulsen, Walter Frosch, Klaus Thormforde

Favoured Personnel – Fabio Morena, Thomas Meggle, Franz Gerber, Dirk Zander, Jürgen Gronau, Ivan Klasnic

Fierce Rivals - Altona 93, HSV

Other Rivals - Rostock, Lübeck

Finances - Okay

Average Ticket Price - £21.90

Average Season Ticket Price - £228

Season Ticket Holders - 16000

Estimated Value - £15m (Loan Debt £8.75m)

Continental Competition - None

Media Prediction - 18th

Stadium - Millerntor-Stadion (23201 Capacity)

Training Facilities - Average Training Facilities

Youth Facilities -Average Youth Facilities and Youth Academy

Expectations - Attempt to Avoid Relegation

Transfer Budget - £85k

Wage Budget - £115k p/w (Currently Spending £113k p/w)

Kit:

StPaulikits.png

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Squad Analysis

First Team Squad:

Goalkeepers - Mathias Hain, Thomas Kessler, Benedikt Pliquett, Maximillan Schase

Left Backs - Jan-Philipp Kalla, Davidson Dropo-Ampem, Bastian Oczipka

Right Backs - Carsten Rothernbach, Florian Lechner, Moritz Volz, Mathias Hinzmann

Centre Backs - Ralph Gunesch, Markus Thorandt, Marcel Eger, Fabio Morena, Carlos Zambrano,

Centre Midfielders - Matthias Lehamann, Fabian Boll, Dennis Daube, Charles Takyi

Right Wingers - Fin Bartels, Timo Schultz, Gerald Asamoah

Left Wingers - Florian Bruns, Max Kruse

Forwards - Deniz Naki, Marius Ebbers, Rouwen Hennings, Richard Sukuta-Pasu

Analysis:

Goalkeeper

A position which is a cause for concern. The loanee Thomas Kessler should be first choice, with Mathias Hain and Benedikt Pliquett providing good competition. A new goalkeeper is a must in the second season, as Mathias Hain will be too old and Benedikt Pliquett is just not good enough. Sachse can should be sold.

Key Man - None

Youth Prospect - None

Left Back

Bastian Oczipka should be your first choice, however he is only on loan. Drobo-Ampem provides decent cover, but isn't a great player. Jan Philipp-Kalla can be sold.

Key Man - Bastian Oczipka

Youth Prospect - None

Right Back

Carsten Rothenbach is your strongest player in this position. Moritz Volz is good competition but is on a high wage and a better replacement can be found i the second season. Lechner can be sold.

Key Man - Carsten Rothenbach

Youth Prospect - None

Centre Back

Nine members of you current squad can play in this position, which means you can afford to sell at least three defenders. Morena and Zambrano should be your fist choice pairing, with Thorandt rotating with them. Egger and Gunesch could both be sold to raise funds.

Centre Midfield

Matthias Lehmann and Fabian Boll are two of the best players in your squad and your team should be built around them. Of the five central midfielders in the squad, four are natural defensive midfielders, which means you should probably incorporate at least one into your tactic.

Key Man - Matthias Lehmann

Youth Prospect - Dennis Daube

Left Midfield

Your pretty much set in this position for a few seasons. Florian Bruns should be your starter, with Max Kruse being given plenty of playing time. Be sure to pay special attention to Petar Filipovic, as he has the potential to start in your current team.

Key Man - Florain Bruns

Youth Prospect - Petar Filipovic

Right Midfield

Gerald Asamoah is the strongest player in this position, although he is the wrong side of 30. Fin Bartels provides decent competition and is alot younger. Charles Takyi and Dennis Naki are both decent options here but are better suited to other positions.

Key Man - Gerald Asamoah

Youth Prospect - None

Forwards

Deniz Naki is your best player in this position and can be sold for £4-5m if you feel you need to raise the funds. Marius Ebbers is also a good forward and Sukuta-Pasu is a good option on the bench due to his good physical stats. Rouwen Hennings also has decent potential so no signings are needed in this position.

Key Man - Deniz Naki

Youth Prospect - Rouwen Hennings, Nils Pichinot.

Overview

With a decent squad you should easily be able to avoid relegation, and with a few smart signings you could finish in the top half of the Bundesliga. Utilising the effectiveness of Lehmann and Boll will be the key to success with St. Pauli.

So, why be St. Pauli?

St. Pauli are a challenging team to play as on FM, but an extremely rewarding one. With a shoe-string budget and some of the best fans in the word, I believe St. Pauli are one of the funnest teams to play as, but why take my word for it?

Give St. Pauli a Go!

Dam'n St. Pauli looks good...

But my only problem is that I don't know any players from the Bundesliga...

Don't let that put you off, I didn't know many players either, but you get to know them after a couple of games :)

Time to get the hot dog train rolling!

Definitely one of the coolest teams in Europe. I'll be giving them a go once I get the game.

Cheers!

Great to hear! :)

Just started with Pauli last night - won my first game 7-0 without so much as tinkering with a thing!! Don't really have a penny to spend or much in the space of wages so i think making the CL is going to be more an aim for the future. Theres also no backroom staff so the youth system is in shambles! Should be a good game though I'm looking forward to making St Pauli world beaters!

Coming towards the end of the first season and I'm currently in 10th place. Deniz Naki has just returned to the team after a four month absence, during which we took only 9 points from 13 games, and dropping from 2nd place to 14th. Despite this, I've just confirmed my place in the division next season. I'll post an end of season update later on.

Im still in my pre-season right now, tying Lehmann in for next year and made a couple of free signings for the future. Just beat Chelsea 2-0 at home so pretty happy with that! I played as pauli last year ad really loved it and im already loving this team's charm!

Lehmann really is an excellent player, Knitter, so well done for tying him down.

Just started my second season and I've been given £10m to spend, which I'm delighted about, however Lehmann has asked to move to a bigger club :thdn:

Right now cant wait to get this season over! 6 games in right now with 1 win 2 draws and 3 loses. To be fair I've come up against all the big boys early on in the season, but wasn't able to offload any of my outside players before the window shut so have a bloated, struggling, unhappy squad! I've hired the best backroom staff the club can attract and I'm pulling in a profit as each month goes by so hopefully I'll see a nice reward at the start of next season like you JoeCFC!

What sort of formation are you playing Knitter? I found a formation with two defensive midfielders to work very well, Lehmann was brilliant in the deep-lying playmaker role.

End of Season Update

Transfers In:

Yildray Baturk - Free

Dino Drpic - Free

Michael Rensing - Free

Mineiro - Free

Kévin Malcuit - £475k

Luis Bolanos - £425k

Felix Kroos - Loan

Pablo Mouche - Loan

Transfers Out:

Max Kruse - £1.1m (PSG)

Markus Thorandt - £1.3m (AS Monaco)

Mathias Hinzman - Free (Wilhelmshaven)

Rouewn Hennings - £1m (Getafe)

Fin Bartels - Free (Nurnberg)

Marius Ebbers - £500k (KV Mechelen)

Marcel Eger - Free (SV Ried)

Overall I'm quite happy with my dealings, although I probably could of got more for some of the players I sold. Dino Drpic eventually won Signing of the Season.

Competitions:

Bundesliga - 9th

German Cup - Out second round (vs Ausberg) :thdn:

The Bundesliga started much better than expected, with me sitting in the top four before the winter break. Unfortunately the team went into freefall in the second half of the season, winning four games out of seventeen. The highlight of the season was undoubtedly beating eventual winners Bayern at the Millentor and then nearly beating them at the Allianz-Arena (I was 2-1 up until the last minute in extra time, when Robben scored a tap-in). The less said about the cup the better.

Next Season:

The aim for next season is to improve on our league position and hopefully have a nice cup run, and with £10m to spend, these goals are very achievable!

I'll upload my tactic later if you want. I basically played a 4-5-1 with a flat back four, all with defensive duties. My Defensive midfield pairing consisted of Boll and Lehmann, Boll was the Anchor Man while Lehmann played as a deep lying playmaker. The wingers were just set to attack while Naki played a trequarista role in AMC. Upfront I played Ebbers as an Advanced Forward (this didn't work too well for me and I ended up replacing Ebbers, but see how it goes for you).

Going to start a new game now love St Pauli and everything they stand for.Usually play as Celtic but the SPL in FM11 is far to easy and after about 20 games I lose interest fast.FC St Pauli offers a good challenge and will keep me busy for a few seasons as I try to crown them the best team in German football.

Just completed my first league match: I lost 3-1 to Koeln, but my team played fairly well. We had 53% possession but couldn't make anything of it (it probably didn't help much that Ebbers is injured), also completed 72% of passes- pretty good considering we played a better team, and I play with a direct passing style. However, we got dominated in the air (only won 41% of headers) and only won 58% of our tackles.

There's definitely some promise in this team- just need some more aerial ability and we need to create a few more chances.

Just started the game and so far played 2 friendlies the first game I was not expecting much new tactics and would take the team a while to gel into the formation and tactics I have set.Away to Aue drew 1-1 we started slow but built up momentum as the game went on 52% possession and 71% of passes completed we had 15 shots at goal but only 3 on target.This game was a learning curve for the players after that I cancelled the next friendly to give the team 7 days of solid training.I then hired new staff and began to reshape the club with free transfers the aim being to make the defence stronger to add a good inside forward (Savio) and also add some flair to my attacking right winger.

FCStPauliTransfers_History.png

Had to sell a good player to allow me extra fund for wages.

Next up we were away to Nordhorn and won the game 4-1 created 16 chances with 8 on target 55% of possession and 79% passes completed was a step in the right direction now I am searching for a pacey striker who has finishing and composure abilities as he will be my poacher and 75% of chances will fall to this player.The remaining chances are usually created from flowing football from either wing.

Early days yet but have a good little team here and if they gel quick enough with tactics then may just hit the ground running.

Next update will be the end of October on my game probably a good 24hrs away due to large selection of nations and leagues.

Well, I'm loving this career so far- I made a 0-0 draw away against Bayern in a game they honestly should have won:

stpaulibayern.jpg

The next game, I returned home and upset Hannover thanks to a late goal from Hennings:

firstwin.jpg

My defense has been outstanding so far- I just need to get a way to score some more goals.

At mid-season I was sitting in 15th, though was far enough ahead that relegation didn't seem to be much of a problem. I hadn't won since September (lots of draws, and a few losses- mostly thanks to late goals). At mid-season, I switched to a 4-5-1 and won the first match after the break 4-3 against Koeln.

Diego Buonanotte was out of contract so I got him, he'll be in next season. In other news, I made it to the quarter final of the German Cup- I have to play Bayern at home so we'll see how that goes.

Naki wanted to leave as soon as Stuttgart made an offer for him he said he wanted to play at a bigger club and demanded that I allow him to leave.Matthias Lehamann also demanded a move but no club would make a offer for his valuation HSV and Bremen both declared an interest in him and next thing I know he is demanding a move he is still at the club but has came out publicly and stated he will move under the bosman ruling as he wants to play at a higher level.

IIRC, some team placed a bid for him or declared interest and he became unhappy, so I sold him off. As I said- I needed the cash, so it wasn't too bad.

Fair enough, I suppose there are better players you can buy with the money you'd recieve anyway.

Fair enough, I suppose there are better players you can buy with the money you'd recieve anyway.

I got some Romanian who had trouble settling, so I gave him a leave of absence. He came back, then injured himself for 5 months. When he got back from that, I played him because Ebbers was injured and he injured himself again :(.

Whatever- I have Buonanotte coming in July :)

I've found that as well, at the end of the first season I'd scored 33 in 34, and I think my top scorer had 5. I found Sukuta-Pasu was a good player to come off the bench due to his high pace and flair but I couldn't get him to perform well consistently.

I've found that as well, at the end of the first season I'd scored 33 in 34, and I think my top scorer had 5. I found Sukuta-Pasu was a good player to come off the bench due to his high pace and flair but I couldn't get him to perform well consistently.

My number one priority for the next season will definitely be finding a consistent goalscorer- quite possibly at the expense of any of the strikers I currently have (though I may loan out my Romanian to see if he can settle).

Well after reading this thread teh other day i decided to give ST Pauli a shot, came interested in them a while back due to the music influence stuff and would love to see a game with the team coming out to AC/DC's Hells Bells :p

Anyway some good players and a fair bit of rubbish, I couldn't shift any of my players in pre season so had to rely on a couple of free transfers and cancelled 1 loan signing.

transfer1.jpg

Denis is a promising looking 16 year old MC/AMC, barone for a bit of extra experience and steel in midfield, wanted another attacking midfielder so took Klement on loan, has done well as a sub so far and scored 1 match winning goal. ANd Rensing is a good keeper.

Pre-Season i plyed a few good teams and some poor teams for some confidence, beating Celtic 4-0 put a smile on my face :p won first cup game 3-0, then into the league. 7 games, 2 wins 1 loss 4 draws, a promisong start to the season, mid table may be possible :p

results1.jpg

table1.jpg

I have been using 2 tactics, a more attacking one at home, and a more narrow deeper lying counter formation. both 451's. home has the flat midfield 3 with the wingers in AML/R and swapping positions, the away one I drop someone down to the DM position and use him as an anchor man.

Takyi was done really well so far for me playing as an Advanced Playmaker Att from midfield, trying to get him up to support the striker, usually Naki, though i like Ebbers and Hennings up there as well. Not impressed with Asamoah yet. Boll and Lehman have been good and solid. Defence have ridden their luck a bit. Was 2-0 up agains Leverkusen until 71 mins, Ozipka sent off as last man tackle, they score from free kick, Asamoah get s2nd yellow 5 mins later, then they score again 2-2. 10 mins to go 9 men...... i was lucky to get that draw....they hit the post twice and keeper made a great save at death.

So so far so good, exciting stuff, and sure i will take a nosedive soon as soon as i hit a top team in form.

Archived