Mémoires d'Afrique

-Xenon-

Authors Note: The new features of FM10 have persuaded me to return to penning tales. Using the Editor, I have created and loaded African leagues (specifically; Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo, Angola and for story purposes Burkina Faso). That is, I have at least attempted to do so! We'll have to see how far this can go.....

Mémoires d'Afrique

www.fifa.com

This month we interview young English coach Joe Byrne, who has taken the unusual route of beginning his coaching career in the African nation of Burkina Faso.

What was it that brought you to coaching in Africa?

Well, after I left school I decided to do some aid work in Africa. My parents wanted me to go to university of course, but I decided I needed to do something different. I was lucky enough to do aid work throughout Western Africa, but it was in Ghana that I came into football. There was a fantastic scheme which involved coupling education with football coaching for youngsters . As a passionate fan of the sport I felt this was perfect for me. It was there that I gained some insight into coaching young kids and began obtaining my badges.

How did you make the transition from coaching youngsters in Ghana, to coaching a professional side in Burkina Faso?

Years of hard work! The organisation in Ghana was branching out and setting up similar schemes in other countries and I was asked to head up the scheme in Burkina Faso. The scheme was linked to the club Etoile de Filante, and through that partnership I began to get involved in both the scheme and some coaching at the club itself. Eventually I was offered the job of head coach at Etoile, which I was delighted to accept.

Was it hard to leave your voluntary work behind?

Yes, but I still am involved with the scheme. We work closely with them to nurture the next generation of African footballers. The educational benefits that we offer the children are superb, so that of course if football is not something they want to pursue, they have other options.

What are your ambitions?

To improve the standard of not just Burkinabe football, but African football as a whole. I know that sounds pretentious but I really believe that a small difference can only help a greater cause. I want this club to be national champions and to compete in the African Champions league. We are doing great things by bringing talent through and I hope we can set a good example to other nations. However, the objective is not for players to leave for Europe at the first opportunity.

Will it be long before we see an African team lift the World Cup?

I don’t think so. I love the African way of playing, we all know about the physical side but the technical side is improving drastically. Teams like Ghana and Ivory Coast are knocking on the door. We have just witnessed a great tournament in South Africa, so I think its coming, definitely.

Finally, are we about to see the next Drogba, Essien, Eto’o or Adebayor from your academy?

(laughs) We certainly have some gifted players but I’m afraid only time will tell.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso

"That's it......look up........pass......pass the ball..........PASS!"

The speedy young winger who had just beaten four players, now found himself unceremoniously dumped on his backside by a burly defender at least a foot and a half his superior. His teammates stared exasperatedly at the youngster with hands on hips. Joe turned to his assistant Jimi, who far from looking disappointed was wearing a wide grin.

"Why doesn't the kid pass the ball? He just gets put on his arse all the time, he has to learn this is a team game for Christ's sake!"

"Hey, your French is getting better! I believe you master a language when you can moan in it. You have to say the young man has some talent?"

"Of course, but its wasted if he doesn't look up and play another guy in once in a while. He's new here I presume?"

"Yeah, he's been here only a week, plenty of time to develop his skills. Believe me he won't be trying to dribble past a whole team for much longer. Youssof Nana is his name, only 14 but the kid lives and breathes football."

Joe and Jimi were making there regular visit to Etoile de Filante famed youth academy. Enjoying a growing reputation, it had fended off requests for affiliation from many European clubs particularly in France and Belgium. With the new league season approaching they wanted to see who they had coming through and who could potentially be included in the full club setup.

"Jimi, we need to get a list together for the squad for the new season. Do me a favour and draw a provisional one up for me"

"Sure"

Freon :D You certainly have a good memory!

Etoile Filante de Ouagadougou 2010/2011

Staff

Manager

Joseph Byrne

Assistant Manager

Jimi Kabore

Coaches

Moussa Kere

Mark Boateng

Kossivi Ouro-Akpo

Physio

Emmanuel Banahene

Players

Souleymane Banao (GK, Burkinabe, 24)

Amadou Sere (GK, Burkinabe, 22)

Jacob Traore (GK, Burkinabe, 16)

Soungalo Ouattara (DRL, Burkinabe, 22)

Alain Traore (DRLC, Burkinabe, 16)

Aristide Toure (DC, Burkinabe, 28)

Mohamed Dossama (DC, Burkinabe, 26)

Jean-Noel Lingani (DC, Burkinabe, 21)

Ibrahim Kone (DLC, Burkinabe, 17)

Paul Soulama (DC, Burkinabe, 17)

Abdoul Ibrahim Bamba (D/WBR, Burkinabe, 24)

Mamadou Cisse (D/WBL, Burkinabe, 17)

Ibrahim Barry (MC, Burkinabe, 17)

Souleymane Ouedraogo (MRL, Burkinabe, 17)

Moussa Sanou (MRL, Burkinabe, 17)

Moussa Konvelbo (AMRLC, Burkinabe, 25)

Germain Ouattara (AMR, Burkinabe, 17)

Mamadou Kassamba (MC, Burkinabe, 21)

Ibrahima Ouattara (AMLC, Burkinabe, 30)

Souleymane Sakou (AMC, Niger, 22)

Lassane Baga (ST, Burkinabe, 29)

Wilfried Hugues Dah (ST, Burkinabe, 23)

Ousmane Ouattara (ST, Burkinabe, 28)

Saidou Sawadogo (ST, Burkinabe, 25)

Burkina Faso is amongst the poorest nations in Africa. The paradoxical nature of the situation was not lost on Joe as he slowly drove down the long, secluded driveway. He paused at the little security booth whilst his identity was checked and the mechanical iron gates slowly clunked into life, allowing him passage to the stately home that lay beyond. This was the home of Ibrahim Dagano, chairman and sole owner of Etoile Filante football club, also a 'businessman' although Joe was never sure what industry had yielded such riches to Ibrahim.

This was one of their regular meetings, a chance for both men to discuss issues with the club. Not that there were many issues; reigning Burkina Faso champions and possessing one of the best youth academies in Western Africa. Ibrahim just liked to see how his club was coming along. He loved his football and upon hiring Joe he told him that he wanted him to become 'like the Sir Alex'. As Joe approached the house, his enigmatic employer appeared striding from the house, arms outstretched. Joe spoke passable French, but Ibrahim insisted on speaking English, with all the flamboyance typical of Africans.

"How are you today my friend? Come, I show you this."

Ibrahim led Joe to his massive garage where a brand new Bentley sat proudly.

"I buying this here Bentley car. Look at this, the rims having gold plated, no? You know this Bentley car?"

"Yeah, the name rings a bell."

"What means, ringing the bell?"

"Nevermind."

"If you liking this car, I buy you this, then you can look just like me."

"No thanks, with all due respect what would I do with a car like that in Burkina Faso? What are you doing with a car like that in Burkina Faso? I just came here to let you know that we are all ready for the new season. Our preparation has gone well and I can't see any problems at the moment."

"Good, good. You needing money? For buying the new player?"

"No, I'm happy with the squad."

"OK, but if you ever being needing the Dollars, this no problem."

For the first time, Joe dared to ask the question.

"Mr. Dagano, where did you make all this money."

"Please Joseph, what is English way to say? Asking me no questions, and then I telling no lies?"

Pre-Season 2010

It was a fairly light schedule of just four games for Byrne's players, in the build up to their defence of the Burkina Faso Premier League title. First, they would play Ivory Coast champions ASEC at home, before playing the first of two matches against fellow Burkinabe side Sourou Sport. They would then travel to Lome in Togo to face Togolese outfit AS Togo Port. Before returning to play the second match against Sourou Sport.

Ivorians ASEC Mimosas, were reckoned to be strong favourites to overwhelm L'EFO and they looked to back that up when Youssouf Kamara netted the opener on 11 minutes. But Etoile were not overawed by their opponents. A brace from Lassane Baga and a great individual effort from Moussa Sanou gave them a deserved 3-1 lead. ASEC were stunned into life and pulled a goal back to make it 3-2 at half time. The experience of the Ivorians told in the second half as Bakary Kone levelled on the hour mark and Antoine N'Gossan then made it 4-3. But Etoile were not to be outdone and they grabbed a well deserved equaliser on 88 minutes through Ousmane Ouattara. An impressive result of 4-4 against distinguished opposition.

It was perhaps exhaustion from that game that led to a 3-0 defeat against Sourou Sport who had finished second from bottom last season. Soulama, Zongo and Koudou with the goals to stun the champions. Then followed an uneventful trip to Togo. A 0-0 draw against AS Togo Port, Jean-Noel Lingani's red card the only notable event.

A chance for revenge against Sourou Sport presented itself and Etoile took it emphatically. A 4-0 win thanks to goals from Lingani, Dah, Diarra and Bagayan.

18.7.10 - Stade du 4 Aout, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 4-4 ASEC

(Baga(2), Sanou, O. Ouattara)

20.7.10 - Sourou Sport Stadium

Sourou Sport 3-0 Etoile Filante

27.7.10 - Stade Agoe-Nyive, Lome

AS Togo Port 0-0 Etoile Filante

1.8.10 - Sourou Sport Stadium

Sourou Sport 0-4 Etoile Filante

(Lingani, Dah, Diarra, Bagayan)

Thanks for the comments bobatwal and Celtic '67 :thup:

Joe had never really acclimatised to the heat and humidity of Western Africa. A South Londoner, but of Irish stock, he was fair and pale in complexion. This was his eigth year living in Africa and not a day went by when he didn't curse the weather. It was a welcome day off after an up and down pre season programme. He decided to spend the day in Ouagadougou, but in a sense his purpose was still business. He was meeting Lucia Gutierrez, a journalist who had befriended many years ago when he first arrived in Africa. She had recently been relocated to Burkina Faso but it was only temporary. Joe wanted to call in a favour before she left. After catching up, the talk turned serious.

"Lucia, I know your busy right now but I need to ask a favour."

"Of course, what is it?"

"I need you look into somebody for me. It's a bit delicate, so I'd appreciate it if you kept this under wraps. It's my employer in fact. A man by the name of Ibrahim Dagano."

Lucia shrugged, not appearing to recognise the name.

"I've never heard of him. What's this regarding?"

"It's hard to explain. This is a poor country right? Yet this man at least seems to be fabulously wealthy. He owns the club, he paid for all the new academy facilities, he pays all the players wages including mine and my staff. On top of that he owns a mansion with servants and a massive security team. He was even bragging about his new car the other day."

"And what do you think that means?"

"I don't know, this is why I need you to look into him and see what you can dig up on him. I asked him where he made his money, and he got all secretive and looked offended that I had dared to ask him."

"Well, it could be anything; Oil, importation or exportation of minerals. Probably totally legitimate, although I guess you think it's something more sinister?"

Joe sighed and leaned back.

"Sounds stupid I know, but I get a gut feeling on these things. He's a nice guy, but I just get the feeling something isn't right. No-one else knows anything or at least won't tell me."

"Well I promise to look into it for you, I can't promise what you're looking for though"

Lucia got up and turned to leave. She looked good, she always looked good. Joe called out as she was about to leave.

"It's good to see you."

She smiled.

"I'll be in touch."

Août 2010

August saw the new league campaign and it was a disappointing start for Byrne's men. On the opening day they went down 2-1 to a plucky US Yatenga side. The visitors started brightly with Lassane Baga opening the scoring on 8 minutes. However, Lamine Konate equalised from the spot to bring Yatenga back into the match. Abdoulaye Traore scored late on to complete a comeback and a shock win for US Yatenga.

L'EFO improved significantly in their next match beating a lacklustre BPFC 3-0. Baga again found the net before a superb brace by promising young winger Souleymane Ouedraogo sealed the 3 points. A great performance that would be great preparation for the derby match that was to follow against US Ouagadougo.

A penalty kick converted by L'EFO's newest recruit Ibrahim Kone gave them a 1-0 lead. That lead was soon doubled by Lassane Baga who scored his third goal in as many matches. A comfortable win was rounded off in stoppage time by Jean-Noel Lingani who made it 3-0. US Ouagadougo never really threatened an improving Etoile side.

These results left L'EFO second in the table behind ASFA Yennega who had acheived a 100% record from their opening three fixtures.

14.8.10 - US Yatenga Stadium

US Yatenga 2-1 Etoile Filante

(Baga)

22.8.10 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 3-0 BPFC

(Baga, Ouedraogo (2))

28.8.10 - Stade Municipal, Ouagadougou

US Ouagadougo 0-3 Etoile Filante

(Kone, Baga, Lingani)

bobatwal: I did it all through the Editor; I had to create the leagues (with the exception of the Angolan Girabola which was already on the database), add the teams, then set up the rules etc. It was actually quite simple so I recommend having a tinker with it, if you want to try new leagues that were previously unplayable :thup:

tenthree: Thanks a lot, this is something I've wanted to write about for a while, finally have the means to do so.

Joe was taking training with the Etoile Under 19 squad when he heard the familiar growl of the multi cylinder engine. The monstrous sports car pulled up outside on the dirt track that led up to the training pitches. Ibrahim exited the car and strode in typically gregarious fashion towards where Joe, Jimi and the Under 19's manager Mark Boateng were making notes on the afternoon's play. A group of personnel sufficient in number to cause an armed insurgency waited outside and 'watched' the car.

Joe knew exactly what this was about. Ibrahim was coming to check on the progress of his beloved twin sons Jonathan and Mohammed, aged 17 and predictably members of the youth team since the age of 13. Nepotism alive and well in Burkina Faso. Joe was secretly of the opinion that Mohammed's best position was left back and Jonathan's defensive midfield. However, officially they were both strikers, Mark Boateng was under constant pressure to lead the line with both players, with often inept results. Joe was dreading the day when he had to tell the doting father that his beloved boys were unlikely to make the seniors.

Ibrahim was in his usual jovial mood.

"How is the two boys I have doing?"

The three coaches looked at each other, telepathically debating who should answer the question. Joe reluctantly did his duty as senior ranking officer.

"Well, they are actually improving, Jonathan even scored the other day."

A fortunate rebound from the post, clattered off the back of the unsuspecting Jonathan Dagano's head for his first goal in 17 games.

"These boys needing to be playing with the first teams, no?"

"Well, no, not really. I don't know how to say this without causing offence, the two lads try their hardest but they just don't have the quality for a professional side. I'm happy to continue with them in the Under 19's but they won't play for the seniors"

"Well.........you know the best for the team. I just Big Boss Man, I knowing nothings about the footballs. I understand why you saying this."

Joe highly doubted that.

Septembre 2010

Etoile had responded well after their shock opening day defeat to record back to back 3-0 wins and they looked to build on that heading into September.

Union Sportive Forces Armees, the football side of the Burkinabe Armed Forces were the first visitors of the month and they took a shock lead when Aristide Ouedraogo scored on 3 minutes. Etoile remained patient, but it wasn't until the last 15 minutes when Baga and Kone were on hand to rescue all three points for a 2-1 win.

A record crowd of just shy of 19,000 were out in force to see L'EFO play Bobo Sport. Another superb performance by Souleymane Ouedraogo saw the 18 year old net his second brace of the season as Bobo Sport capitulated to a 4-0 defeat. Lassane Baga was on the scoresheet for the fifth consecutive match to put Etoile 3-0 up. Saido Sawadogo was on hand to complete the scoring on 83 minutes, his first of the campaign.

Next up was a trip to Racing Bobo. Wilfried Hugues Dah opened the scoring in just the second minute. RC Bobo's cause was not helped when Anlioun Toure was sent off five minutes later for a cynical challenge. The game stagnated after that and Etoile had to wait until the closing stages, when Ibrahim Kone doubled the lead from the penalty spot. Sanou pulled a goal back for the home side, but L'EFO closed out a 2-1 win.

A poor match followed as Etoile entertained a Sourou Sport side they had experienced mixed fortunes aginst in pre season. A game in which neither side played particularly decent football ended up being decided by a 56th minuted Mohamed Dossama goal, heading the ball in at the near post after Jean-Noel Lingani clipped the ball back across goal after a corner. A bland 1-0 win, but it was enough to ensure a 100% record for the month and to see Etoile stay second in the table.

8.9.10 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 2-1 US Forces Armees

(Baga, Kone)

12.9.10 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 4-0 Bobo Sport

(Ouedraogo x2, Baga, Sawadogo)

18.9.10 - Stade Omnisports, Bobo-Dioulasso

RC Bobo 1-2 Etoile Filante

(Dah, Kone)

26.9.10 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 1-0 Sourou Sport

(Dossama)

Copy of E-mail received by Joe Byrne from Lucia Gutierrez, dated 1st October 2010

Joe,

As requested I have spent the last fortnight trying to obtain information on Dagano. Unfortunately I have only very little to report, as I'm sure you can appreciate I have been extremely busy over the last few weeks, yet I have spent as much time on this as I could. Using all our records and contacting sources, I have been able to only collect a few scraps of information. Minor shareholdings in oil companies and other energy companies as I had suspected. Nothing concrete that would explain his wealth. The lack of information might suggests he trades under a different identity or has operations that are outside Western Africa. I will investigate both of these possibilities.

My professional opinion is that it would be unlikely that his wealth was obtained immorally. Having said that my interest is piqued and I will continue to search further. I hope that this will help to put your mind at rest.

I'm leaving Africa and heading back home to Madrid. A promotion of sorts. I shall miss our albeit infrequent meetings. You are always welcome to visit me in Spain.

I'll be in touch soon with hopefully more detailed information,

Lucia

Octobre 2010

A good run of form for L'EFO was still not good enough to see them take an early lead in the league, ASFA Yennega carried on their winning start into a third month, a perfect 7 from 7 for them. October would see a showdown between the two pace setters.

Etoile started the month with a disappointing 1-1 draw at AS Koupela. Souleymane Ouedraogo was one of the few bright sparks in a performance that demonstrated how not to close out a win. After the young winger had put L'EFO ahead on 22 minutes, Etoile could not put the game out of sight and invited pressure that finally told with a late Koupela equaliser.

They responded with a comfortable 3-0 win against third place RC Kadiogo. Toure, Dah and O. Ouattara on the scoresheet in an easy win. Then came the eagerly anticipated match with ASFA Yennega. Designated an away game however Yennega were one of several teams L'EFO groundshare with. Mali international Mamadou Kante gave ASFA the lead with barely a minute on the clock. Baga equalised deservedly fifteen minutes later, but ASFA had a little too much for Byrne's men. An Adama Ouattara goal sealed a crucial 2-1 win for ASFA.

Joe Byrne's men usually show great character to bounce back from defeat and they did just that. A brace from Wilfried Hugues Dah and another goal from in form Lassane Baga clinched a 3-1 win over Commune FC. They rounded off the month with another comfortable win. This time 3-0 over ASF Bobo. Sanou, Baga and Traore the goalscorers.

2.10.10 - AS Koupela Stadium

AS Koupela 1-1 Etoile Filante

(Ouedraogo)

13.10.10 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 3-0 RC Kadiogo

(Toure, Dah, O. Ouattara)

16.10.10 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

ASFA Yennega 2-1 Etoile Filante

(Baga)

24.10.10 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 3-1 Commune FC

(Dah x2, Baga)

30.10.10 - Stade Omnisports, Bobo-Dioulasso

ASF Bobo 0-3 Etoile Filante

(Sanou, Baga, Traore)

Gieves & Hawkes, No. 1 Savile Row, London, W1

"I don't understand why a need a suit, let alone a suit like this."

Joe could protest all he liked, Ibrahim was insistent that his coach should be head and shoulders above his contemporaries in all aspects, bespoke tailoring among them. He had chartered a private jet to take them from Ouagadougou to London. Them being his own entourage that accompanied their boss everywhere. He had many errands to run, the first of which was to have Joe collect his new Gieves and Hawkes suit. His measurements had been coerced out of him and forwarded to the tailors. He now stood in front of the mirror, staring a figure he suddenly didn't recognise.

"This is the 'bespoke tailoring of the British gentlemans', I must have only the finest for the British gentleman that has been doing good work with my team"

His English was improving, at least it was approaching something like proper grammar. Joe had to admit, it was exquisite. He just always hoped that he would buy something like this himself, not by someone else's charity. Suitably attired, afternoon tea at the Ritz followed. Ibrahim then insisted Joe was to accompany him to Sothebys auctioneers on New Bond Street, where he hoped to aqcuire a rare African tribal mask that had gone up for auction. Joe declined, the money being thrown around was making him dizzy. Seeing as he was in London, he ought to visit his family. He bid Ibrahim farewell and made his way to Oxford Circus tube station, from there negotiating his way on the tube to Stockwell, where he made the short walk to the family home.

His sister Siobhan answered the door.

"Oh my God, MUUUUM.......come and have a look at the state of this dipstick!

Novembre 2010

Etoile Filante were able to start the month in terrific style. They blew a poor US Comoe side out of the water, a final score of 4-0. It's not often that centre back and new Burkina Faso international, Jean-Noel Lingani celebrates netting a brace, but that was exactly what he was doing in this match. Both of his goals were thumping headers from corners. Lassane Baga made it 3-0, before Etoile's only non Burkinabe player, the Niger international, Souleymane Sakou completed the scoring with a fierce 20 yard strike.

L'EFO fans might have been forgiven for thinking that the next match would be walkover, they were however to be disappointed. Etoile were held 0-0 at home to a US Yatenga side that had clearly come to 'park the bus'. A result down to poor finishing from Etoile, Wilfried Hugues Dah guilty of spurning an easy chance.

Another poor performance away to BPFC followed. Souleymane Ouedraogo had put L'EFO ahead, but some horrendous marking let Martin Kafando in for what turned out to be the the last of the day's goals. It finished 1-1.

They rounded off the month with a tough game against the Armed Forces. Souleymane Ouedraogo is fast becoming a key man for Etoile Filante as he twice equalised for them, to salvage a 2-2 draw. Adama Nana and his namesake Aristide Ouedraogo had put the Armed Forces ahead either side of the half.

A disappointing third consecutive draw and much better will be expected from L'EFO in their next game.

4.11.10 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 4-0 US Comoe

(Lingani x2, Baga, Sakou)

14.11.10 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 0-0 US Yatenga

20.11.10 - BPFC Stadium

BPFC 1-1 Etoile Filante

(S. Ouedrago)

27.11.10 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

US Forces Armees 2-2 Etoile Filante

(S. Ouedraogo x2)

"Who is this woman, that he has been speaking with?"

Ibrahim placed his recently purchased mask on a suitably flamboyant display stand. He turned, and continued to deliver his daily grilling of Serge, the head of his personal security team.

"A Journalist, we don't know much more than that I'm afraid"

Ibrahim looked troubled, in his periphary vision he noticed that the door to living room was wide open, inside the twin boys Jonathan and Mohammed were furiously button bashing on their video games. They should be training not playing video games, thought Ibrahim. But nevermind, he closed the living room door shut, the security brief was not for their ears, not yet anyway.

"You don't know anything more than that? I don't understand why I pay you, you don't know what they were talking about?"

"They seem to be old friends, we didn't feel it neccesary to find out what was being said. With all due respect sir, your personal security covers a large area of duties. If you wanted to know more about Byrne, you should have instructed my team to gather more information."

Serge looked as though he was slightly regretting being so frank with his employer.

"I'm not sure that I understand why he needs to be watched, it's my opinion that he poses no threat."

"And that is why I am the boss, and you are the humble employee! This man is a threat, let me explain. He is clever, he is suspicious. He cannot be placated through money. I offer to buy him a new car, he refuses. I buy him an expensive suit, he protests. The result of this? He becomes even more curious of my personal issues. So who can he turn to? He does not possess the wealth of contacts that I have, so he turns to his journalist friend who looks into me for him. But she won't find anything at first, however if he continues to ask her to dig, she will stumble across something and we do not want the Western press to be counted as one of our enemies."

"I see."

"That is why our English friend cannot be trusted and must be watched. It is the little things that bring your plans crashing down around you."

Serge, hurried off to brief his team.

Décembre 2010

Three straight draws had seen Etoile Filante stumble in their pursuit of ASFA Yennega, who were starting to pull away in the title race. L'EFO were expected to win comfortably in their next match at home to US Ouagadougo. They started well when Saidou Sawadogo broke free of his marker to slot past the keeper for 1-0 on 9 minutes. After that quick opening goal, L'EFO just couldn't put their opponents away, wasting several chances. the crowd sensed that the home side would pay for their poor finishing. On 79 minutes they did, a Lingani foul led to a penalty converted by Brahima Kere. It finished 1-1, Etoile's run of consecutive draws moving to 4.

The run would end, but in far from convincing fashion. Etoile edged past Bobo Sport in their next match, Lassane Baga scoring the only goal in a 1-0 win at the Stade Wobi. A fortunate win for an often times lacklustre Etoile Filante.

Their final match of 2010 was at home to Racing Bobo. Wilfried Hugues Dah gave the home side the lead with a great header on 27 minutes. That lead was doubled just after half time. Jean-Noel Lingani attoned for giving away a penalty at the start of the month by converting one in this match for 2-0. Bobo pulled a goal back on the hour mark through Aboubacar Sangare but Etoile were able to close out a 2-1 win. A better performance, but L'EFO left in no doubt that they would have to improve significantly if they were to retain their crown.

4.12.10 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 1-1 US Ouagadougo

(Sawadogo)

11.12.10 - Stade Wobi, Ouagadougou

Bobo Sport 0-1 Etoile Filante

(Baga)

19.12.10 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 2-1 RC Bobo

(Dah, Lingani)

Extract from the recovered journal of Serge N'Kono, head security advisor to Ibrahim Dagano

New Years Day, 2011

Told the rest of the security team to stand down and take the rest of the day off. Dagano in Cote d'Ivoire on business. Drove to the Etoile training complex around 10am. Met Byrne as the team was preparing to depart to go and play Sourou Sport. Took him aside which he was not happy about.

Said he recognised me by sight and often wondered who I was, I introduced myself and told him of the role I undertook for our mutual employer. He seemed very wary of me indeed, yet also curious. Told him that I had come to see him without the permission or knowledge of our employer. I felt it neccesary to inform Byrne that...

TEXT MISSING FROM ORIGINAL COPY (BURN DAMAGE)

...a specific interest in your dealings with a certain journalist. As I expected, he denied any ulterior motive than two friends discussing personal and indeed irrelevant matters. I advised him not to pursue further curiousity in Dagano's personal dealings as it would only infuriate our employer further. He had already instructed me to watch Byrne.

He asked me why I was helping him. I replied that I wasn't helping, if anything this was a warning to stick to your job and not persist in your curiousity. I told him I thought he was a good person with a strong heart, which I really do believe. Guilty of nothing more than a moral conscience. I stressed once again that our employer does not care about such things, he will persecute anyone he suspects.

Byrne went back on the team bus after the conversation.

Janvier 2011

A new year and new challenges for Etoile Filante, January would see two crunch matches with their immediate rivals, RC Kadiogo and ASFA Yennega. However, on New Years Day they travelled to Sourou Sport and recorded a comfortable 2-0 win. Dossama broke the deadlock in the first half with a towering header and in the second half, starlet Souleymane Ouedraogo netted with a swerving effort to seal the win.

AS Koupela rarely threatened when they visited next and goals from Wilfried Hugues Dah, Moussa Sanou and Ousmane Ouattara sealed a 3-0 win in front of a below average attendance.

Then came the massive game away to third place RC Kadiogo. Kadiogo started brilliantly and their early pressure eventually told when on 16 minutes Mohamed Diabate stole in to score the opener. Etoile were forever chasing the game, Kadiogo were content to sit on their goal advantage. Etoile were not helped when centre back Ibrahim Kone was sent off for violent conduct. Kadiogo were then able to see out the result against Etoile's 10 men and take a vital three points that reigned Etoile in.

It didn't get any easier for Etoile as they welcomed top side Yennega next. A chance to avenge their earlier defeat. It was a struggle and Etoile had to fight to come from behind twice. Aristide Toure cancelled out Hermann Tapsoba's early strike only for Ocansey Mandela to restore the lead. Ibrahim Barry hit back with a late penalty to salvage a deserved 2-2 draw between two even teams.

Perhaps suffering from the after-effects of two massive games, Etoile again dropped easy points away to Commune FC. Ibrahim Barry once again on hand to rescue a point in a scrappy 1-1 draw.

1.1.11 - Sourou Sport Stadium

Sourou Sport 0-2 Etoile Filante

(Dossama, S. Ouedraogo)

8.1.11 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 3-0 AS Koupela

(Dah, Sanou, O. Ouattara)

15.1.11 - Stade Municipal, Ouagadougou

RC Kadiogo 1-0 Etoile Filante

22.1.11 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 2-2 ASFA Yennega

(Toure, Barry)

30.1.11 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Commune FC 1-1 Etoile Filante

(Barry)

In other news the draw for the Prelimary Round of the African Champions League took place in Johannesburg. Etoile were handed a tough tie against Sudanese outfit Al-Hilal. Here is the draw in full:

East End Lions (SLE) vs. ASEC (CIV)

Concorde (MTN) vs. Orlando Pirates (RSA)

Academie JMG (CIV) vs. Elan Club Mitsoudje (COM)

Desportivo Maputo (MOZ) vs. Kotoko (GHA)

Tonerre FC (BEN) vs. Al-Ittihad (LBY)

Coton Sport (CMR) vs. ASKO (TOG)

USBB-RH (MRI) vs. TP Mazembe (COD)

Sunshine (SEY) vs. KCC (UGA)

Banaadir Telecom (SOM) vs. Hafia (GUI)

Police XI (BOT) vs. Heartland (NGR)

CAPS Utd (ZIM) vs. Mawrada (SUD)

Awassa (ETH) vs. Renacimiento (EQG)

AS Kigali (RWA) vs. CS Hammam-Lif (TUN)

ES Setif (ALG) vs. UDIB (GNB)

AshantiGold (GHA) vs. Leopards Transfoot (MAD)

Primeiro de Agosto (ANG) vs. Stade Centrafricain (CTA)

Al-Hilal (SUD) vs. Etoile Filante (BFA)

Civics (NAM) vs. Bukavu Dawa (COD)

Niger Tornadoes (NIG) vs. Simba (TAN)

Tourbillon (CHA) vs. Petro Atletico (ANG)

Gendarmerie (DJI) vs. Raja Casablanca (MOR)

ES Tunis (TUN) vs. Djoliba (MLI)

Al-Ahly (EGY) vs. Black Star (LBR)

Sundowns (RSA) vs. Jeanne d'Arc (SEN)

Red Arrows (ZAM) vs. Red Sea (ERI)

Tusker (KEN) vs. JS Kabylie (ALG)

Kaizer Chiefs (RSA) vs. Real de Banjul (GAM)

Urana (NIG) vs. Inter Bom-Bom (STP)

Etoile du Congo (CGO) vs. Wydad Casablanca (MOR)

Flamengo de Ngagara (BDI) vs. Union Douala (CMR)

US Bitam (GAB) vs Bullets FC (MWI)

Ismaily (EGY) vs. Sporting da Praia (CPV)

bobatwal: The way I chose to do it was to have 14 teams with 3 rounds of matches, I didn't add a cup because I'm lazy! Probably all wrong of course, I didn't do any research into the league.

Omdurman, Sudan

It was a sight all too familiar, villagers toiling in the midday sun to sustain their families. At least the land here was reasonably fertile, as the team bus trundled alongside the bank of the River Nile, near to the place where it broke off into its two White and Blue subsiduaries. But to the west lay the arid, troubled land of Darfur. When the draw for the Champions League was made, Joe, perhaps naively wondered how the team would get there to play the match. What else but a private jet to take the players from Ouagadougou to Khartoum the Sudanese capital? From there, an air conditioned coach to ferry them to the suburb town of Omdurman, home of Al-Hilal. Ibrahim insisted on coming along, after all it was his jet.

For many it was there first time outside of Burkina Faso. For almost all, it was their first plane journey. Joe smirked at the multitude of nervous faces as the jet roared and thundered its way down the runway at Ouagadougou. It only served to console Joe's own fear of flying. So here they were, viewing the troubles of the local people from behind the windows of their air conditioned coach. All the more poignant that they knew these troubles. They had travelled from West to East, to new cultures and customs, but the same problems. Joe wondered when it would be that Africa took its rightful place amongst the global community. Who knew, fresh reports of violence in Darfur had greeted their arrival in the country.

Al-Hilal were a very good side. Sudanese football has a great example to follow in their northern neighbours Egypt. They possessed some very technically gifted players and if you listened to the bookmakers, they were expected to overcome Etoile. Joe knew, however, that Burkinabe sides were a totally unknown quantity on the continental scene. They arrived at the ground and went through some drills. Ibrahim greeted his manager before he left, only to be seen at the game the next day and then on the team's departure.

"Bonne chance"

He no longer deigned to address his manager in his English. he now spoke to him only in French, perhaps symbolic of the change in their relationship.

Al-Hilal vs. Etoile Filante

African Champions League Preliminary Round First Leg

Etoile arrived in Sudan looking to take a step towards the main competition and they knew a good result away from home would go a long way to ensuring that.

It was an anti-climactic start when play was stopped in the first minute after Al-Hilal's Chaoui came off worse in a collision with Wilfried Hugues Dah, unfortunately it was the end of his game. Wilfried Hugues Dah clearly wasn't suffering any after effects of the collision, as he looked to test the keeper by flashing a shot just inches wide. Etoile adopted a physical approach early on and Ibrahim Barry picked up an early booking. Dossama was quick to follow Barry into the book as Etoile looked to get stuck in to the home side. Dah then forced a good save from Hassan, Etoile were looking like the better side in the early stages.

But how football can change in a split second. Influential centre back Jean-Noel Lingani committed a clumsy foul on Menad and the referee had little choice but to award the home side a penalty. Ali Bougherera tucked the ball home from the spot to give Al-Hilal a 1-0 lead that was against the run of play. It looked like a game changer as Al-Hilal began to thread together some nice attacking moves. Making matters worse for Etoile, talismanic young winger Souleymane Ouedraogo took a heavy knock. Etoile needed to re-group and they looked relieved to hear the half time whistle.

They needed a change, and the ineffectual Lassane Baga was replaced by Saidou Sawadogo, who immediately began pestering the defence. Jacob Traore made a wonderful save and from his throw Souleymane Ouedraogo was able to burst down the right. He skipped past the Al-Hilal left back and hung up a far post cross that was hammered in off the head of Wilfried Hugues Dah for 1-1. The game started to flow freely and both sides looked to take the lead, but in all honestly it looked like a draw was most likely. However, late on Sawadogo broke clear of the defensive line, he took the ball too wide though, and his shot was parried. Parried only as far as winger Moussa Sanou who had instinctively followed the break, he calmly volleyed home to seal a fantastic 2-1 victory to take home to Burkina Faso.

Al-Hilal 1-2 Etoile Filante

"I know a guy in Burkina Faso..."

Whereby we learn the nature of Ibrahim Dagano's various business exploits

"We were told that you would be willing to help us, Mr. Dagano."

Ibrahim sat across a table from two Sudanese men who had accosted him and insisted on discussing a business proposition with him. Ibrahim, ever the entrepeneur was willing to at the very least hear them out before he threw them out. He lit a mammoth Cuban cigar that billowed a pungent blue smoke, swirling and then hanging cloud-like in the airless room. He tilted his head to one side and took a drag, appearing to suss out these two men, they had that desperate air about them, the look of men that were preparing to enter the realm of last resort. Ibrahim flicked the lid of his Zippo open and shut repeatedly and then broke the silence.

"Were you? That was very nice of whoever it was that told you about me. What they should have told you is that I only deal with those who come recommended. This leaves you with a very big problem, I have absolutely no clue who you are."

"Does it matter who we are? We have money."

"Well I would hope you do have money. Now, come gentlemen, what is it that you require and for what. You are keeping me from celebrating with my precious football team, so let's be discussing business."

The two men shifted nervously, they had indeed been told that Dagano would be a most willing outlet for their requirements. However, he was not appearing pleased at the request. And the two security men stood by the door had expressions of the grievous bodily harm type. It looked like they were too far down the rabbit hole...

"A cousin of mine in Somalia has made a fortune from looting ships that come into the gulf. He has loaned us some of his profits so that we can do the same, operating out of Port Sudan."

"You are pirates."

"We are desperate, we have no option other than to try and make enough to get out of this country and start a new life. The money my cousin has given me is just a loan, we need to purchase weapons from you."

"Will you be requiring a Jolly Roger flag to go with this?"

Ibrahim allowed himself a bellow of raucous laughter, he was one of those people able to amuse himself with his own wit.

"We also need a boat."

Raucous laughter became a thunderous outburst.

"Pirates without a boat, that has made an already wonderful evening all the more entertaining. I'm not sure I believe a single word you say, but either way I'm sure you'll end up being shelled by some UN warship. I shall be happy to assist you, although this is far too small time for me, I shall put you in touch with the right people who can help you. Rest assured, your stupidity has saved you from a beating, for that fact, it has been a real pleasure gentlemen."

Still laughing, Ibrahim Dagano; arms dealing extraordinaire exited the room, literally in a puff of smoke (from his cigar).

Février 2011

Etoile had slipped up against their nearest two title rivals and had followed that up with a disappointing draw against Commune FC. Unfortunately, they were set to heap more disappointment upon their fans as they were held 0-0 away to US Comoe. The lowly side fought tooth and nail to hang on to a point, Etoile just could not break them down.

Etoile were able to record an overdue win, beating ASF Bobo 3-0 at home. Souleymane Ouedraogo marked a first call up to the Burkina Faso Under 21's with another wonderful performance for his club. he opened the scoring for the home side in the first half. Saidou Sawadogo and Lassane Baga were able to help finish off the match in the second half with goals of their own.

They followed that up with a fantastic 4-0 win away to US Yatenga. Lassane Baga was the hero in this match as he scored an incredible four goals. As early as the 38th minute, he had completed a 'perfect' hat-trick; a header, a left foot strike and a right foot strike. He was also in the right place at the right time to slot home a close range tap-in to make it 4-0, all four goals belonging to Baga.

Inconsistency once again reared its ugly head as Etoile dropped two points when they should have taken all three. BPFC were expected to be no match for them, especially at home. It did look like Etoile were going to dominate, when fresh from his outstanding Champions League game, Moussa Sanou scored a wonderful solo effort early on. But BPFC were not afraid of going forward and their positive attitude reaped reward when Toure levelled with a header just after the re-start. They were able to hang on to a 1-1 draw.

5.2.11 - Stade de Banfora, Banfora

US Comoe 0-0 Etoile Filante

9.2.11 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 3-0 ASF Bobo

(S. Ouedraogo, Sawadogo, Baga)

19.2.11 - US Yatenga Stadium

US Yatenga 0-4 Etoile Filante

(Baga x4)

23.2.11 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 1-1 BPFC

(Sanou)

"Funnily enough, I know a guy in Togo too"

An introduction to Kossivi Ouro-Akpo - His beginnings in Togo - His philosophies on management - Some amusing miscellanies

Joe had hired Kossivi to replace the position he himself had vacated in order to take the manager's job at Etoile Filante; that of Academy Director (in other words manager of the youth team). He had come with glowing references, making a massive impact on Togolese youth football at the age of just 33.

But, it was an unorthodox route in to football. Born in the town of Vogan in Togo, he left school early in order to pursue a career in Boxing. Aged just 16, he acheived professional status in the heavyweight division. An explosive hitter, he gained notoriety in Africa for dispatching most of his opponents in the first round of his fights. He represented Togo at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, or at least he turned up and was quickly sent home when they discovered he was not an amateur. He eventually became disillusioned with Boxing and with promoters overlooking him for a big title fight. His career record was: 33 fights; 33 wins; 32 K'O. He chose to go in to football and the rest was history.

A masterful tactician and some would say ruthless disciplanarian, Akpo masterminded an unbeaten league triumph in his first season as Academy Director and is currrently on course to repeat that success this season. Everywhere he goes, he carries a small copy of Sun Tzu's The Art of War in his back pockets. He dedicates his success to it, some of his favourite quotes include:

"If ignorant both of your enemy and yourself, you are certain to be in peril."

"If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles."

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack."

Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Some interesting facts about Kossivi:

• He is an avid collector of butterflies
  • He claims to be a distant descendant of the illegitimate son of a 17th Century French king
  • He has been married 7 times and has 9 children, all boys
  • He has a honourary degree from Oxford University
  • He is afraid of water
  • In a break from Boxing, he once tried a career in stand up comedy

Etoile Filante vs. Al-Hilal

African Champions League Preliminary Round Second Leg

Etoile Filante welcomed Al-Hilal back to Burkina Faso after securing a crucial 2-1 win in Sudan. Excellently placed, they were looking to book a place in the first round.

There were no injury concerns for Joe Byrne as he named a strong side for the match. Etoile immediately looked to press home their advantage and Jean-Noel Lingani sent a header clattering against the crossbar from a Moussa Sanou cross early on. But, Al-Hilal were in need of at least two goals and they went after them, forcing Jacob Traore into a few good saves. The home crowd were soon on their feet, but Souleymane Ouedraogo was right judged as offside when he rounded the keeper and calmly rolled the ball in. Goal disallowed. Al-Hilal were in need of a goal and their forays left them open at the back. Lassane Baga won a tussle with a midfielder and then surged past Al-Hilal's Slimani to put himself through on goal. He fired a low shot past the keeper to give Etoile a half time lead.

Etoile Filante looked content to sit on their advantage in the second half. Al-Hilal desperately poured forward but the Etoile defence had all the answers, they easily soaked up every attack, looking to counter through Sanou and Ouedraogo. Al-Hilal might have had a penalty but the referee was having none of it. A comfortable win and an impressively professional job well done by Etoile. A slight concern that Ouedraogo appeared to take a heavy knock that left him limping away.

Etoile Filante 1-0 Al-Hilal

Etoile Filante win 3-1 on aggregate

And here is the draw for the First Round:

African Champions League First Round

ES Setif (ALG) vs. CS Hammam-Lif (TUN)

KCC (UGA) vs. Sundowns (RSA)

AshantiGold (GHA) vs. Union Douala (CMR)

Red Arrows (ZAM) vs. Ismaily (EGY)

Kaizer Chiefs (RSA) vs. Mawrada (SUD)

Primeiro de Agosto (ANG) vs. Heartland (NGA)

JS Kabylie (ALG) vs. Al-Ittihad (LBY)

Niger Tornadoes (NGA) vs. Renacimiento (EQG)

TP Mazembe (COD) vs. Al-Ahly (EGY)

ASKO (TOG) vs. Orlando Pirates (RSA)

Academie JMG (CIV) vs. Civics (NAM)

US Bitam vs. ES Tunis (TUN)

Etoile Filante (BFA) vs. Raja Casablanca (MAR)

Inter Bom-Bom (STP vs. Petro Atletico (ANG)

ASEC (CIV) vs. Wydad Casablanca (MAR)

Hafia (GUI) vs. Kotoko (GHA)

The prodigal son departs

Mohammed Dagano leaves Etoile Filante - The differing reactions to this departure - Joe Byrne's thoughts on future challenges

In March, the twin strike partnership of Jonathan and Mohammed Dagano was to be no more. Kossivi Ouro-Akpo had confronted Joe yet again to get rid of one or both of them. Joe didn't want to further upset Ibrahim, who was already increasingly hostile towards him. Kossivi shrugged the comment off and said he did not care what Ibrahim thought, something had to be done as they were denying other more talented young players a chance in the Academy side.

Finally Joe relented, but was surprised that they didn't have to resort to releasing the players. RC Bobo came in with an offer to loan Mohammed Dagano with a view to making the deal permanent, Joe was happy to let Dagano discuss the move with RC. Kossivi was not pleased, firstly only one of the twins was leaving, secondly a loan spell would be ample enough time for RC Bobo to decide to give him back to Etoile. Joe, pointed out that this was the best option for all parties, plus Ibrahim was not upset at the deal. The deal itself did split opinion at the club:

Mohammed Dagano

"I'm disappointed to be leaving Etoile, but Rail Club Bobo is another good club and perhaps I will get a much better chance there"

Jonathan Dagano

"I'm sad to see my brother go of course, I feel we play well together because I know him so well. Hopefully I can cope without him in the Academy team. I only have 1 goal in 25 games though....."

Ibrahim Dagano

"It was naive of me to expect that my boy would become a star at the best team in Burkina Faso. A move to a lesser side is what he needs to prove that he is an exceptional player. Then I am sure he will be back."

Joe Byrne

"This was delicate, obviously our chairman is the lad's father and he was given opportunities unavailable to other players. At the end of the day he was not part of our future plans, so we were happy to let him go."

Kossivi Ouro-Akpo

"He was useless, I mean totally and utterly useless. Good riddance"

Jimi Kabore

"The kid has problems with his knee anyway, I can't see it working out at RC Bobo at all"

Jean-Noel Lingani

"When him and his brother used to train with the first team at the insistence of their father, I always found it a relaxing experience. Because I literally had nothing to do, you didn't even have to mark them, they took care of themselves!"

Joe meanwhile had slightly more troubling issues at hand. A league campaign to salvage and a trip to Morrocco that would be by no means easy. He also had a boss who was now distant and suspicious, whereas he had once been jovial and friendly. Joe and his curious nature had seen to that change. But, in reality he wouldn't have it any other way.

Etoile Filante vs. Raja Casablanca

African Champions League First Round First Leg

Souleymane Ouedraogo was the only key player missing for Etoile Filante as they welcomed the Moroccans to Burkina Faso for the first leg. However, it didn't seem to affect Etoile as it was his replacement that had his name up in lights very early on. With Moussa Sanou switched from left to right to cover Ouedraogo's favoured side, Ibrahim Ouattara came in to the left wing. After five minutes he found himself in a great position with the ball at his feet and back to goal. He shaped to look for a pass but found no-one ahead of him, so he checked, and planted a shot past the Moroccan keeper with great finesse. 1-0.

Casablanca had a few opportunities, but the story of the first half was the wastefulness of Lassane Baga. He had three great opportunities, but supplied woeful finishes for each of them. Baga could have wrapped up the tie nevermind the game and he was subbed at half time to give Saidou Sawadogo a chance.

The second half started and again as they had done against Al-Hilal, Etoile refused to allow Casablanca settle into the game. They tested the keeper on two occasions soon after the re-start. And they again showed their no nonsense physical approach when a strong challenge left El Omari limping from the pitch. Souylemane Sakou had run the game from the midfield and it was fitting that he got the final goal of the game. Bursting from midfield he found himself one on one, he shaped to fire into the far post but instead slotted the ball in at the near post. A classy finish to give Etoile a 2-0 win that will certainly have turned a few heads across Africa.

This Etoile side are not to be taken lightly.

Etoile Filante 2-0 Raja Casablanca

Mars 2011

What with Etoile Filante playing two matches in their Champions League campaign against Raja Casablanca, some re-scheduling meant they only had to play three league matches in the month. First up was a trip to city rivals US Ouagadougo. It was a horrendous start for the home side as Siaka Coulibaly mishit an intended backpass to his keeper that ended up wrong footing him and putting Etoile Filante 1-0 up. Lassane Baga added a second just before half time. Ibrahim Barry lashed in a 25 yard strike in the second half to give Etoile a comfortbale 3-0 victory.

The Armed Forces were the next 'visitors' to Etoile, but in reality it was simply the designated home fixture for Etoile as they both shared the ground. Fresh from netting in the Champions League, Ibrahim Ouattara broke the deadlock on 6 minutes with a fine header. In the absence of Ouedraogo, Moussa Konvelbo put in a great performance and bagged himself a goal in the second half. Wilfried Hugues Dah was on hand to score a late third, a succesive 3-0 win for Etoile Filante.

Then followed what may have been a hangover from their Champions League exploits. Whatever it was, a lacklustre and tired looking Etoile were put to the sword by RC Bobo. Issouf Sanou opened the scoring very early with a close range finish. Saidou Sawadogo equalised very quickly and it looked as though Etoile would kick on to get the win. But it was an utter capitulation as Issouf Sanou got a second and then set up Moussa Zongo to make it 3-1 at half time. Of all the people to get a second half hat-trick it was Etoile's former player and son of their chairman, 18 year old Mohammed Dagano. The young forward came on to make his debut and heaped the misery on his former club by scoring a wonderful hat-trick. A 6-1 drubbing for Etoile.

5.3.11 - Stade Municipal, Ouagadougou

US Ouagadougo 0-3 Etoile Filante

(Coulibaly o.g., Baga, Barry)

23.3.11 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 3-0 US Forces Armees

(I. Ouattara, Konvelbo, Dah)

30.3.11 - Stade Omnisports, Bobo-Dioulasso

RC Bobo 6-1 Etoile Filante

(Sawadogo)

The vengeance of Mo Dagano

Fallout from the 6-1 defeat - Kossivi turns to the bottle - Recollections of the proud father

Kossivi slammed the newspaper down on Joe's desk. It had made the front pages in most of Burkina Faso's papers:

The Ouagadougou Times

Mohammed Dagano returns to haunt former club in costly defeat

In one of the most surprising turn of events in arguably the entire history of Burkinabe football; RC Bobo inflicted a massive 6-1 defeat on title contenders Etoile Filante, but most remarkably it was a player deemed not good enough by the club that sealed the victory. Mohammed Dagano, 18, none other than the son of Etoile Filante owner, Ibrahim Dagano, hit a second half hat-trick.

Dagano had previously not scored a goal in nearly a year and a half for the Academy side, he had not made a single appearance in the Burkinabe Premier League. Yet an initial loan move, with a permanent move agreed to RC Bobo, gave the youngster a chance in the big time. In his debut 45 minutes, he condemned his former club to a 6-1 defeat.

Asked about the game he commented: "In a way I was sad to score against L'EFO, but it was what I had to do. I was delighted to be given a chance in the Premier League, I hadn't thought about scoring, just to have a solid game. It was my first hat-trick and I hope it was enough to persuade the club to have me back, I know my father wants me back at the club."

Of course, Etoile still technically own the player and it might prompt a re-think on his impending transfer.

Kossivi looked furious, Joe suddenly felt sorry for anyone that ever had to face him in the ring.

"That was ridiculous, I mean where did that come from? The kid can't play, yet he goes and scores three!?"

"How do you think I felt? I had to sit in the dugout and watch it. Be thankful that you weren't there to see it."

"I need a drink."

"Well, if you're serious, there is some scotch in the cabinet over there."

Kossivi strode over over and retrieved the bottle of scotch and a handful of glasses. He shouted out to Jimi Kabore.

"JIMI! Get in here, we are drowning our sorrows!"

"Jimi doesn't drink, Kos."

Jimi Kabore entered anyway, and began to reaad the paper that Kossivi had brought in. Joe began to think about Ibrahim at the game. He had sat motionless watching his son oblitterate the Etoile defence, skip past Jean-Noel Lingani like he wasn't there. Despite him sitting like a wax figure, he was beaming from ear to ear. His boy had announced himself on the national stage but as far as the big man was concerned it was for the wrong team. This could be easily rectified at the end of the season, however.

Kossivi drained a glass of scotch, Joe sipped his and Jimi made do with coffee. It had been a very long week.

Raja Casablanca vs. Etoile Filante

African Champions League First Round Second Leg

Etoile travelled to Morocco, knowing that they needed to do a professional job after already securing a 2-0 lead in the first leg. An amazing attendance of 56,000 were crammed inside the Stade Mohamed V in Casablanca, where they hoped to see the home side overturn the two goal deficit. The Moroccans started very brightly indeed as Jacob Traore had to tip away an excellent Hassan Rizki free kick. But it was disaster for Casablanca when with barely five minutes on the clock, a Souleymane Ouedraogo cross was headed into his own net by Younes El-Ackchaoui. A 1-0 lead for Etoile and now Raja Casablanca needed four goals.

Credit to them, their heads didn't drop and they immediately resumed their offensive. Naciri came agonisingly close when his shot just curled the wrong side of Traore's post. Their efforts would pay off, Hassan Rizki swivelled and from a tight angle smashed home via the post for 1-1. Casablanca at least with a fighting chance. The rest of the half was dominated by Raja Casablanca and they forced young keeper Jacob Traore into a number of very good saves, they were content with a 1-1 scoreline at half-time.

Etoile had been patient and perhaps Raja Casablanca were a little tired after going for broke most of the first half. Because it was Etoile Filante that started the second half brightly. Wilfried Hugues Dah had a golden chance to end the tie but he shot over. Casablanca began to exploit Etoile on the counter attack, again threatening Traore's goal. But the Burkinabe side were holding firm. It was the story of the game, Etoile would credit the result to their defence who managed to survive the Moroccan onslaught. They hung on to a 1-1 draw that took them through to the last 16.

Raja Casablanca 1-1 Etoile Filante

Etoile Filante win 3-1 on aggregate

Here is the draw for the Second Round:

African Champions League Second Round Draw:

ES Setif (ALG) vs. AshantiGold (GHA)

Primeiro de Agosto (ANG) vs. ASEC (CIV)

Etoile Filante (BFA) vs. JS Kabylie (ALG)

Ismaily (EGY) vs. ASKO (TOG)

Al-Ahly (EGY) vs. Petro Atletico (ANG)

Renacimiento (EQG) vs. Kaizer Chiefs (RSA)

Sundowns (RSA) vs. Kotoko (GHA)

ES Tunis (TUN) vs. Academie JMG (CIV)

Trouble in the Red Sea

A surprise caller - News of a seaside arrest - A troubling lack of evidence - Plans for a trip to Madrid

The phone rang. Joe was pretty certain that it would be one of a select group: Kossivi demanding something; Jimi diligently reporting something; Emmanuel telling him a player had been crocked in training; maybe even Ibrahim, no doubt to invite him to an evening of hedonistic splendour. He certainly did not expect the soft, delicate and heavily Spanish accented voice that he knew so well.

“Lucia?”

“Ola, Jose.”

It had been several months since they had actually spoken other than through the odd e-mail, they both led incredibly busy lives. He was delighted to hear from her.

“How are you? It’s been a while.”

“I’m fine, I’ve been busy though. My new department has been cracking the whip lately so I’ve been really snowed under with work. Otherwise I would have called sooner.”

“I guess it’s a similar story here.”

“I actually have some news for you. A while back I told a colleague of mine who covers East Africa about your request. He promised to keep an eye out for me and yesterday he came up with something.”

This was it, thought Joe. This is when I find out what he has really been up to, where he gets all that money. He wondered what it might be, it could be a whole host of different things.

“Go on.”

“Two weeks ago a small ship was intercepted coming out of Port Sudan into the Red Sea. The authorities found $20,000 worth of small arms on board and they arrested 6 men manning the ship.”

“I don’t understand, how does this relate to Dagano?”

“Well, when the men were all questioned they said that it was Ibrahim Dagano that supplied them with the weapons. Now, we would have gone to print with this, but there is absolutely nothing concrete that links this to Dagano. Interpol are going to follow this up but it’s unlikely they are going to find anything. I don’t suppose you would know about this, but has Dagano or any of his associates been to Sudan in the past three months?”

Joe felt the shudder down his spine, the final jigsaw piece noisily slamming into place. Of course, he should have realised when she mentioned Port Sudan and the Red Sea. That was where he had been the day before the match with Al-Hilal, brokering an arms deal of all things.

“...We all have. We had a match there a couple of months back, early February. He came with us but the only time we saw him over the three days was at the match. Are you telling me that he is an arms dealer?”

“I’m telling you that nobody knows what he is. There isn’t any proof. Twenty grand changing hands may seem a lot but this is fairly small time. But it is enough for me to start looking again.”

It was obvious to Joe, it could not be a coincidence. A group of Sudanese pirates had dropped Ibrahim’s name in the lap of their interrogators. A country that they had visited in recent months. He suddenly had that strange feeling that occurs when you begin to feel the urge of self preservation, that urge to cut your losses and get out, run for the hills, do anything to return to normality.

“Listen we are almost done here. First week in June I’m going to London but I was thinking I ought to stop off in Madrid, we can talk about this then, you won’t believe this but his head of security tipped me off to stop poking my nose around. It’s not a good idea until I get to Madrid.”

“Of course, be sure to let me know when your flight is.”

Cheers joe :)

Etoile Filante vs. JS Kabylie

African Champions League Second Round First Leg

It was another North African side, JS Kabylie, that Etoile would have to overcome if they wanted to progress into the final 8 group stage. The Algerians travelled to Ouagadougou well aware that Etoile Filante had turned a few heads in their previous two ties. Joe Byrne was adamant that his side had to try their best to win the tie as the experience of six further matches (as opposed to a traditional quarter final) would be invaluable to his team's progress.

It was Kabylie that started the match stronger, immediately going on the offensive, looking for an early goal. It was also an ill tempered match from the outset, the Ghanaian referee had to give a few players on both sides a talking to. Souleymane Sakou was on the receiving end of a dangerous tackle and he began too struggle with a knock. Etoile would take the lead totally against the run of play. Moussa Sanou whipped in a difficult cross for the defence to deal with, Touhami Belhadj diverting the ball into his own net. Etoile benefiting from the second succesive own goal in Champions League matches, to take a 1-0 lead on 28 minutes. A scoreline they managed to hang on to at half time.

In the second half, JS Kabylie attacked ruthlessly. Not through any tactical decision by Etoile, just of their own volition. They constantly tested Jacob Traore's goal. Like so many North African teams they possessed tricky little wingers with great technical ability who ran at the full backs and looked to create opportunities for the forwards. However, Etoile had players like that of their own in Sanou and Ouedraogo and the odd counter attack went through them. Etoile looked like they were going to hang on for the win. But on 85 minutes a Saouli cross was powered home off the head of Deghiche for 1-1.

And it was to be heartbreak for Etoile Filante when in stoppage time Hachem Saouli was tripped in the area by left back Alain Traore. There was minimal contact and Etoile were furious but there was little they could do. Hassan Ardar tucked home the penalty to give Kabylie a precious 2-1 away win, leaving it all to do for Joe Byrne's men....

Etoile Filante 1-2 JS Kabylie

Avril 2011

It was now the business end of the Burkinabe league season and Etoile Filante found themselves 5 points adrift of ASFA Yennega in 1st place and they had even fallen a point short of RC Kadiogo. However, a crammed April schedule would see them play both of these teams. Etoile also had to contend with two matches against JS Kabylie as part of their Champions League campaign. This meant a staggering 8 games in just four weeks.

They were coming off the back of the humiliating 6-1 defeat to RC Bobo and worryingly they made a less than positive response. Away to AS Koupela they only managed to get a 1-1 draw. Wilfried Hugues Dah had put them ahead on 24 minutes. But a goalkeeping howler from Amadou Sere allowed Koupela to get a point, after he fumbled the ball into the Etoile net.

Next they faced a home match against Bobo Sport. Saidou Sawadogo gave Etoile an early lead with a well placed shot, but ten minutes later Moussa Sanou was sent off for a reckless challenge. Etoile struggled with just ten men, but with twenty five minutes remaining they were able to double their lead, Mohammed Dossama converting from the penalty spot. Lassane Baga added a third to seal a crucial three points for Etoile.

Perhaps the story of Etoile Filante's season would be their inconsistency costing them the league. It was to strike again in their next match as Sourou Sport held on to a 0-0. Etoile had a whole host of chances to put Sourou Sport away but failed to take any of them.

Next was the first of two season defining matches against RC Kadiogo, a win would put Etoile ahead of them into second position and perhaps keep alive their title hopes. It was typically tense match that are all too common in these so called 'six pointer' games. RC Kadiogo held firm knowing a draw would be a good result for them. Etoile tried and tried but it was looking like a repeat of the Sourou Sport match. That was until with just three minutes remaining, Souleymane Sakou lashed home a 35 yard piledriver to gain the three points. A strike worthy of winning any game.

This made the game against ASFA Yennega all the more important. In many ways the similarities to the previous match were uncanny. The game suffered from the pressure exerted on both sets of players. The significance aided only to weigh down the spectacle as it was a gritty, often scrappy match. Heading into the final stages it was 0-0. Remarkably it was Souleymane Sakou yet again that came up with the winner with another stunning strike. This time from slightly closer range. The Niger international had single handedly provided six of his team's most pivotal points and left Etoile just one point behind ASFA Yennega.

They ended the month with another hard fought victory. Lassane Baga was the hero this time as he slotted home the goal that gave Etoile a 1-0 win over Commune FC. It turned out not to be enough for them to go top, but with just two games remaining they were still very much in the hunt.

2.4.11 - AS Koupela Stadium

AS Koupela 1-1 Etoile Filante

(Dah)

6.4.11 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 3-0 Bobo Sport

(Sawadogo, Dossama, Baga)

10.4.11 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 0-0 Sourou Sport

20.4.11 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 1-0 RC Kadiogo

(Sakou)

23.4.11 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

ASFA Yennega 0-1 Etoile Filante

(Sakou)

27.4.11 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 1-0 Commune FC

(Baga

With just two games remaining, the top end of the table looked like this:

1. ASFA Yennega (78 Points - 22 Wins, 12 Draws, 3 Defeats)

2. Etoile Filante (77 Points - 22 Wins, 11 Draws, 4 Defeats)

3. RC Kadiogo (75 Points - 22 Wins, 9 Draws, 6 Defeats)

It's squeaky bum time

Ibrahim Dagano delivers a stirring speech for the staff and players - Promises of extravagant rewards are made

Just two games were left in the league campaign. Two games to overturn a one point deficit and win a second straight league title. But, Etoile Filante had been inconsistent. Victories had all too often been followed up by disappointing draws or even defeats. Joe had no doubt that the players had what it took to win those last two games, his only concern was whether ASFA Yennega would slip up.

However, despite the confidence that the manager, his coaching team and the players had, Ibrahim still felt it neccesary to pay a little visit to the training complex. He watched the training session and when the players were all sat on the pitch, taking a breather, he swooped in to deliver what was obviously a rehearsed speech. He just loved a bit of rhetoric.

"Gentlemen, as you know we are on the cusp of a fantastic acheivement for this club. To become national champions for a second successive time is a great honour for us a club. Now, I know that your manager and all your coaches have assured me that you are all 100% focused on acheiving this.

But if I may, I would like to explain to you what I will be offering in terms of reward, if you acheive this. I stress 'if' you acheive this of course. Upon becoming national champions I will reward each and every squad member with one brand new automobile of their choice, one brand new property for you and your families in a location of your choice and perhaps best of all; I will personally pay for you all to go to Las Vegas, where you will stay in high-roller suites and have spending money provided."

There was silence as this information was digested by the players, Joe raised his eyebrows and sighed. Typical reaction from Ibrahim, bribery. Kossivi imagined going to Las Vegas the city he had never had the opportunity to fight in, the promised land of every heavyweight boxer. Finally a stunned silence was broken by Lassane Baga.

"Can I have a Ferrari?"

This was more extravagant than Ibrahim had expected his players to want. He regarded Lassane Baga with a cold and calculating stare. He was the current top scorer, thought Ibrahim, these things must be considered.

"We will discuss this when you deliver me that trophy."

Thanks a lot El

JS Kabylie vs. Etoile Filante

African Champions League Second Round Second Leg

Before thoughts turned the culmination of the league season, Etoile faced a daunting trip to Algeria, where they would have to overturn a 2-1 deficit from the first leg. Kabylie had been the better side in the first leg and despite leaving it late, they came away from Burkina Faso with two precious away goals.

Souleymane Ouedraogo and Jean-Noel Lingani both were struggling for fitness and both only made the bench. Paul Soulama and Moussa Konvelbo were their replacements. Etoile needed goals and began with an attacking approach, but it was the home side that made the early chances, Jacob Traore was forced into a few decent saves. As had happened in the first leg it was an Etoile goal totally against the run of play that kicked proceedings off. Sanou whipped in a great cross for Moussa Konvelbo to head home, levelling the tie, but of course Etoile still trailed on away goals. Hassan Ardar who has scored the injury time penalty in the first leg, almost scored a brilliant equaliser, weaving through two defenders only to narrowly miss the shot. Etoile held a well earned 1-0 lead at half time.

Saidou Sawadogo was replaced by Wilfried Hugues Dah at half time, the striker had picked up a knock. Both sides had chances as the game opened up, JS Kabylie were the slightly more conservative team as they knew they would go through with this scoreline. On 69 minutes came the tie defining moment. Lassane Baga broke clear of the last man only for said last man, Kamel Guesbaoui, to haul him down by grabbing a handful of shirt. It was straight red card for the Algerian and it changed the game.

With a man advantage, Etoile went on the all out attack. On 77 minutes Souleymane Sakou played a great long ball for Wilfried Hugues Dah, the striker seemed to take an age to bring it under control, but with the keeper fast approaching he dinked it past him and into the net, 2-0. Etoile were able to bring Ouedraogo and Lingani on, bringing some quality in an attempt to hold on. Kabylie looked shellshocked and Etoile in the end comfortbaly held on to the win that put them in the last 8.

Etoile had not progressed this far since they were runners up in 1968.

JS Kabylie 0-2 Etoile Filante

Etoile Filante win 3-2 on aggregate

Here is the draw for the Group Stage:

Group A

ES Tunis (Tunisia)

Etoile Filante (Burkina Faso)

Ismaily (Egypt)

Kaizer Chiefs (South Africa)

Group B

Al-Ahly (Egypt)

ASEC (Ivory Coast)

ES Setif (Algeria)

Kotoko (Ghana)

Apologies in advance for completely forgetting how to do tables using code, perhaps a kindly soul could school me in the art sometime!

Mai 2011

The climax of the league season was finally upon us. Rather interestingly ASFA Yennega, Etoile Filante and RC Kadiogo all had realistic chances of walking away with the Championship and with it the invaluable qualification to the Champions League. The runners up would have to make do with the Confederation Cup and the third place team would have to do without continental competition alltogether.

First up for Etoile was a trip to ASF Bobo. A defensive howler gave Etoile the perfect start, when Adama Traore poke into his own goal. Souleymane Ouedraogo was on fire and a superb solo effort saw Etoile comfortably 2-0 up at half time. ASF Bobo never threatened and Moussa Sanou added a third with a delightful curling shot. Centre back Ibrahim Kone wrapped up the win with a thumping header. A 4-0 win for Etoile, but crucially both ASFA Yennega and RC Kadiogo had both won, so it would go down to the last day.

US Comoe at home looked like a nailed on three points on paper and it certainly looked like that when Souleymane Ouedraogo blasted home on 7 minutes. Comoe however, had no concern for Etoile's title aspirations and they feistily hit back very quickly. Moussa Ouattara with a looping header, the flight of which deceived Jacob Traore. They then did what few expected, they hung on. Etoile yet again failed to break down a side when it mattered. A 1-1 draw meaning they would finish runners up.

Some consolation might have been taken from the fact that the result was irrelevant. ASFA Yennega had won to clinch the league championship, it would not have mattered if Etoile had won.

7.5.11 - Stade Omnisports, Bobo-Dioulasso

ASF Bobo 0-4 Etoile Filante

(Traore o.g., Ouedraogo, Sanou, Kone)

14.5.11 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 1-1 US Comoe

(Ouedraogo)

Burkina Faso Premier League 2010/11 Summary

League Standings

| Pos   | Inf   | Team             |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | C     | ASFA-Yennega     |       | 39    | 24    | 12    | 3     | 58    | 15    | +43   | 84    | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Etoile Filante   |       | 39    | 23    | 12    | 4     | 73    | 26    | +47   | 81    | 
| 3rd   |       | RC Kadiogo       |       | 39    | 24    | 9     | 6     | 60    | 24    | +36   | 81    | 
| 4th   |       | Commune FC       |       | 39    | 17    | 12    | 10    | 49    | 37    | +12   | 63    | 
| 5th   |       | RC Bobo          |       | 39    | 16    | 12    | 11    | 45    | 39    | +6    | 60    | 
| 6th   |       | BPFC             |       | 39    | 13    | 18    | 8     | 55    | 52    | +3    | 57    | 
| 7th   |       | US Forces Armées |       | 39    | 14    | 9     | 16    | 33    | 42    | -9    | 51    | 
| 8th   |       | Bobo Sport       |       | 39    | 11    | 13    | 15    | 36    | 47    | -11   | 46    | 
| 9th   |       | US Comoé         |       | 39    | 10    | 16    | 13    | 31    | 35    | -4    | 46    | 
| 10th  |       | US Ouagadougo    |       | 39    | 8     | 16    | 15    | 30    | 43    | -13   | 40    | 
| 11th  |       | AS Koupéla       |       | 39    | 7     | 13    | 19    | 33    | 49    | -16   | 34    | 
| 12th  |       | ASF Bobo         |       | 39    | 6     | 12    | 21    | 20    | 57    | -37   | 30    | 
| 13th  |       | US Yatenga       |       | 39    | 6     | 12    | 21    | 21    | 48    | -27   | 30    | 
| 14th  |       | Sourou Sport     |       | 39    | 5     | 12    | 22    | 21    | 51    | -30   | 27    | 

Player of the Year

Idrissa Traore - RC Kadiogo

Top Goalscorer

Lassane Baga - Etoile Filante - 18

Most Assists

Boureima Sanogo - BPFC - 14

A hasty retreat

A furious chairman - An escaping manager - A getaway to Ouagadougou International Airport - First Class to Madrid

"YOU COME BACK HERE RIGHT NOW!"

Ibrahim jostled his way through the corridors of the Etoile training complex, hurrying after his manager. Joe was way ahead, a travel bag slung round his neck, on his way to catch a flight to Madrid. Etoile had lost out on retaining the league title and Ibrahim was incandescent with bellowing rage. In his mind he afforded the team every advantage, from paying for the training complex he was currently sprinting after Joe in, to offering lavish bonuses. It had all failed to deliver and in his eyes Joe was to blame.

"I SAID STOP!"

Ibrahim caught up with Joe and grabbed him by his collar, dragging him up against the wall. Joe was surprised by the strength of the man. Kossivi suddenly came round the corner and started to jog towards them. Joe threw him a pacifying shake of the head and Kossivi stopped, keeping his distance.

"Let go of me!"

"NOT until you tell me where you are rushing off to. I think you have work to do here, we failed last season and now you are running away for the summer. You should be preparing for next season."

"I'm taking 10 days holiday, I think I've earned that at least. Ok we screwed up but we are still in the Champions League. I'll be back with plenty of time to prepare. Don't you understand that these things happen in football?"

"It is NOT...GOOD...ENOUGH! Do you not understand?"

"Well how about you get some of your Sudanese friends to try out their newly bought guns on me then?"

Ibrahim reliquished his grip on Joe and ominously lowered his voice.

"I thought that I was to have no more problems with you poking your nose into my affairs?"

"I'm not allowed to read the papers?"

"Reading the papers is not same as worming your way in with those who write them, my friend."

"I'm late for my flight."

He wrestled himself free of Ibrahim and continued on his way out the front exit. Kossivi accompanied him to where a car was waiting to take him to Ouagadougou International airport. A First Class ticket to Madrid, at the end of it some welcome respite. Ibrahim was still shouting as he left.

"YOU STILL OWE ME A TROPHY YOU B******! YOU WILL GET ME ONE NEXT YEAR!"

Kossivi walked with Joe to the car, Joe got in and thanked Kossivi for at least offering some support even though it advisable not to. His response was typical of the man:

"You know, owner or not, I would have floored him. You have a nice break, I'll see you in two weeks, then I'll help bail you out of his bad books!"

Calle De Fernán González, Madrid

The two friends are reunited - A day spent in Madrid - Some revelations - Discussions on a career change

Joe had arrived in Madrid early on a bright and breezy June morning. He made his way into the city centre and checked into his hotel, he was staying only for a few days. He took a few hours to unwind, relaxing in the knowledge that he was thousands of miles from work. He had arranged to meet Lucia for a coffee around lunchtime. He went to meet her at a coffee shop. She looked much happier these days. The pressures that come with being a journalist in Africa evidently not missed.

"So, glad to get away for a while. I heard you screwed up a little bit!"

"Only a little bit, personally I think I did quite well. But, depends who you talk to really! But yes, it is good to be away from Faso for a while. Nice weekend here, then a week in London. Just what I needed."

"Forget London you should stay here for the rest of your holiday."

"Well, there's no place like home remember."

Lucia insisted they pay a visit to her office. She seemed to be itching to tell him something, Joe had a good idea what it might be, so he agreed to go along to her plush, modern office. She led him to a corner office that he guessed must be her own. Papers, pictures and other material were strewn across the desk and floor.

"Wow, they must love you. All this mess!"

"I know everything about him, I know who he is, what he has been up to. Everything."

Joe sighed, intrigued as ever, he let her continue. Though for the first time, he wasn't sure he wanted to know.

"You remember when you first told me about this and I suggested he might be using a different identity?"

"Sure."

"Well call it a woman's intuition, I was right. Ibrahim Dagano was born Issa Dramane in Liberia not Burkina Faso. And to put it bluntly he is one of the major arms traders in Western Africa. He deals in the diamond trade as well. It's safe to say that you find an Ak47 anywhere in Africa and there is a good chance he brokered the deal to sell it. He has abundant contacts and he is totally politically neutral, he doesn't care if he sells to both sides in a conflict, it's all about profit. You need proof?"

She slammed a masive file brimming with documents in front of him. He casually leafed through it.

"What do you recommend?"

"Well quitting your job and getting out of Ouagadougou springs to mind. This is a dangerous man we are talking about. You are talented at what you do, you could find a coaching job anywhere.

Then she allowed herself a chuckle.

"What's funny?"

"Well I know that you are too stubborn to leave, I don't know why I'm persuading you otherwise."

Joe smiled.

"There you go. I'm not going to be forced out. We are doing good work out there. It's not about the football at all. It's about the community and how we help them. The moment we can't do that, I'm out I promise you."

London Calling

Arrival in London - A chance meeting with an old school mate - The potential for a new opportunity - Thoughts on a return to Burkina Faso

Joe had enjoyed his time in Madrid, he always enjoyed spending time with Lucia. However he was eager to return to his home city of London. He checked in with his family, making sure they were all OK. Then he made his way to his apartment in Hammersmith, where he intended to set up camp for the next week, doing nothing but relaxing.

It would be time to mull over his options and he certainly had a lot to think about. One afternoon he took a wander down to his local pub for a quiet drink and was surprised to see a familiar face sat at the bar. Dave Jackson was an old school mate who had once been on the books at Arsenal, but a career ending injury put paid to his playing career. He stayed on at Arsenal to become a coach and was currently a youth coach at the club.

They had been good friends but Joe hadn't seen Dave since he had moved to Africa.

"Joe! Good to see you pal. What brings you back to London? I heard you were still out in Africa."

"I'm taking a break at the moment, thought I'd come back to the old manor for a bit. You're looking well mate, how did you get on with your coaching?"

"I'm working up at Arsenal with the youth team, which I'm sure you can imagine is always a privelage. I heard about you becoming a manager, that's great mate, although you'll forgive me for being surprised. You were always more of a fan than one to get involved."

"I know I guess I stumbled in to it. Well, I may be coming back for good. Things are a bit complicated at the moment and I'm sort of keeping one eye on what else is out there."

"Well I could have a word with the club if you like, you never know we might have something for you. Maybe something in the youth coach setup not replacing Arsene of course!"

"Appreciate that Dave."

Joe stuck around and had a few beers with his old friend. It was nice to know that he would ask about a new job for him. However, the more he thought about it, the more he knew he wasn't going anywhere. He had a league title medal, but he had come in when the majority of the work had been done, it didn't feel right. Then last season he had failed at the final hurdle. He wanted to leave with a winners medal that he had earned. He also wanted to make sure that the community work they had started would go on well past his departure.

Once more in to the breach then...

2011/12 Burkina Faso Premier League Season Preview

Etoile Filante

Transfers In

Mohamed Zakari (18, ST, AS Togo Port, $35,000)

Young Togolese forward Mohamed Zakari burst on to the scene in Togo's top division last season. At just 17 years of age he netted 19 goals for AS Togo Port.

Adama Ouattara (18, DC, US Comoe, $30,000)

Strong young centre back emerged as one of the most promising young defenders in Burkina Faso last season. He has raw talent but he goes to Etoile Filante in an attempt to nurture that talent.

Mamadou Coulibaly (17, MC, AS Koupela, $50,000)

At the age of just 16, Mamadou Coulibaly made an astonishing 27 appearances in the league for Koupela. Blessed with outstanding touch and great passing ability, he comes to Etoile as Joe Byrne looks to bring talented young players to become part of the club's future.

Fernando Feijó (19, MLC, Santos FC, Loan)

Angolan midfielder comes to Etoile as Byrne looks to add quality to the midfield. If he impresses this season he may be offered a permanent deal.

Aboubacar Konseiga (18, MRLC, RC Kadiogo, $75,000)

Konseiga joins from Etoile's title rivals, RC Kadiogo. this season it is likely he will provide cover on the wings for Moussa Sanou and Souleymane Ouedraogo. However he is incredibly versatile and can play all the across midfield, so may get plenty of chances this season.

Academy Promotions

Abdoulaye Diarra (17, AMC)

Very gifted creative midfielder who had many loan offers from other Burkinabe clubs. But Joe Byrne obviously has plans to utilise him in the first team this season.

Transfers Out

There were no players purchased by other clubs. However the following players were allowed to leave on free transfers:

-Souleymane Banao

-Paul Dagbei

-Moussa Konvelbo

-Ibrahim Ouattara

-Paul Soulama

-Germain Ouattara

-Ousmane Ouattara (BPFC)

-Mohamed Dossama (RC Kadiogo)

-Ali Bagayan (RC Kadiogo)

-Mohammed Dagano (RC Bobo)

Etoile Filante De Ouagadougou 2011/12 Squad

Jacob Traore -17 - GK - Burkinabe - 22 Appearances - 19 Conceded

Amadou Sere -23 - GK - Burkinabe - 60 Appearances - 50 Conceded

Soungalo Ouattara - 23 -DRL - Burkinabe - 79 Appearances - 3 Goals

Alain Traore - 18 - DRLC - Burkinabe - 41 Appearances - 3 Goals

Aristide Toure - 29 - DLC - Burkinabe - 46 Appearances - 2 Goals

Ibrahim Kone - 18 - DLC - Burkinabe - 41 Appearances - 6 Goals

Jean Noel Lingani - 22 - DC - Burkinabe - 80 Appearances - 5 Goals

Adama Ouattara - 18 - DC - Burkinabe - 0 Appearances - 0 Goals

Abdoul Ibrahim Bamba - 26 - DWBR - Burkinabe - 61 Appearances - 2 Goals

Ibrahim Barry - 18 - MC - Burkinabe - 63 Appearances - 7 Goals

Moussa Sanou - 19 - MRL - Burkinabe - 71 Appearances - 6 Goals

Souleymane Ouedraogo - 19 - MRL - Burkinabe - 79 Appearances - 22 Goals

Aboubacar Konseiga - 18 - MRLC - Burkinabe - 0 Appearances - 0 Goals

Fernando Feijó - 19 - MLC - Angolan - 0 Appearances - 0 Goals

Mamadou Coulibaly - 17 - MC - Burkinabe - 0 Appearances - 0 Goals

Souleymane Sakou - 24 - AMC - Niger - 64 Appearances - 5 Goals

Abdoulaye Diarra - 17 - AMC - Burkinabe - 14 Appearances - 0 Goals

Lassane Baga - 31 - ST - Burkinabe - 101 Appearances - 43 Goals

Wilfried Hugues Dah - 25 - ST - Burkinabe - 55 Apearances - 19 Goals

Saidou Sawadogo - 26 - ST - Burkinabe - 50 Appearances - 17 Goals

Mohamed Zakari - 18 - ST - Togolese - 0 Appearances - 0 Goals

Champions League Group A Summary

There was controversy before a ball was even kicked as Joe Byrne was outspoken in his criticism of the registration of players. He found himself unable to register his 5 new signings and with several departures, it meant he would have to call upon a slightly depleted squad. So, a trip to Egypt to play Ismaily was a daunting start to the last 8.

It was an explosive start for the Egyptians. Etoile had looked fairly comfortable in getting to this stage of the competition, but now they looked dangerously out of their depth. Adel Kader and Shaaban both had chances before it was Shaaban that finally broke the deadlock, rising above Toure to head home. Ismaily continued to attack and on 24 minutes they doubled their lead. Essam Nabil breaking clear of the defence and driving in low for 2-0. Etoile stumbled to half time, managing to keep a two goal deficit. In the second half they seemed a bit more calm. They began to play with a bit more enterprise. However, Ismaily comfortably saw out a 2-0, Etoile defeated on the opening matchday.

ES Tunis were the visitors on matchday 2. Concerned Etoile fans looked once again dismayed as the Tunisians took an early lead through Konan Oussou. However in the second half, Etoile responded. It was youngster Abdoulaye Diarra who scored with a swerving effort from 25 yards. Etoile might have seized the initiative when Tunis were reduced to 10 men. Hajiri sent off for a reckless challenge. But they were unable to do so and were forced to settle for a 1-1 draw.

Next was a trip to Pretoria to face Kaizer Chiefs. However the match was a complete let down, the most boring of 0-0 draws. Etoile perhaps deserving the win.

Ismaily were next up at home. Another 0-0 result, but in stark contrast to the game in South Africa. For a 0-0 it was very entertaining, both sides having great chances. Etoile could draw pride from the fact that they played for an hour with ten men, Dah sent off for a suspected elbow in the face of an Ismaily defender.

As the fifth matchday approached, remarkably Etoile still had a chance of making the Semi Finals, despite not yet recording a win in the group. They needed a win against Tunis and for Kaizer Chiefs to get a result against Ismaily. But it was not to be as they went down 1-0 in Tunisia. Oussou again scoring against them. That defeat meant Etoile were out.

Etoile were playing for pride in the final game and they certainly earned it. They were 3-0 up on Kaizer Chiefs at half time. Abdoulaye Diarra, Souleymane Ouedraogo and Saidou Sawadogo all on the scoresheet. Kaizer Chiefs pulled a goal back in the second half through Ivan Damon, but Etoile hung on for a 3-1 win that would see them avoid the bottom of the group.

17.7.11 - Ismailia Stadium, Ismailia

Ismaily 2-0 Etoile Filante

31.7.11 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 1-1 ES Tunis

(Diarra)

14.8.11 - Loftus, Pretoria

Kaizer Chiefs 0-0 Etoile Filante

28.8.11 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 0-0 Ismaily

10.9.11 - Stade Olympique d'El Menzah, Tunis

ES Tunis 1-0 Etoile Filante

18.9.11 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 3-1 Kaizer Chiefs

(Diarra, Ouedraogo, Sawadogo)

| Pos   | Inf   | Team           |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | ES Tunis       |       | 6     | 2     | 4     | 0     | 7     | 5     | +2    | 10    | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Q     | Ismaily        |       | 6     | 2     | 3     | 1     | 8     | 6     | +2    | 9     | 
| 3rd   |       | Etoile Filante |       | 6     | 1     | 3     | 2     | 4     | 5     | -1    | 6     | 
| 4th   |       | Kaizer Chiefs  |       | 6     | 0     | 4     | 2     | 6     | 9     | -3    | 4     | 

A change of heart

Ibrahim thrusts the olive branch at Joe and insists on it's acceptance

When Joe returned to the training complex he was a little nervous. He'd had things confirmed about Ibrahim that were frankly abhorrent. He couldn't be certain whether he knew that Lucia had told him all of this. He couldn't be certain that he wouldn't still be in a violent state of mind either. At least he had Kossivi, the 6"5 former boxer to fight his corner. What he found when he entered was wholly unexpected. Ibrahim was stood at the door, he was smiling at Joe and he was speaking English again. Very disconcerting.

"Joseph! Come inside, I'm wanting to have the discussions with you."

"Well this is a pleasant surprise."

"Come, into my office, I feel we needing to take this hatchet and bury it deep into the dirt."

Always over embellishing phrases. He ushered Joe into his office that he hadinsisted be constructed in the trainign centre. Always looking to keep his finger on the pulse of the club. He sat Joe down, he looked happy. Joe couldn't help but be suspicious when his boss was in a good mood.

"First, I would like to apologise. My behaviour was a totally bad bad news. I feeling terrible for this. We will never being national champions if you and me cannot behave like British gentlemen to each other."

"That's fine, really."

"I know that you think you are knowing somethings about me. I cannot deny this. But you must be knowing that this was a long time ago for me and now I am in concentration on these club. Yes? I not gun runner, this is past. This is 80's I do this. Bad times for Africa, people forced to do bad things. Understand?"

Joe wasn't sure he did understand, this change in tact was a total surprise.

"I appreciate that Ibrahim, I'm really glad that is cleared up. Now how about I go get you that trophy I owe you?"

Août 2011

Etoile Filante opened the new campaign away to AS Koupela. And it was one of their new signings that gave them the perfect start. Togolese forward Mohamed Zakari latched on to a through ball and provided a clinical finish to give Etoile a 1-0 lead. But the home side didn't allow their heads to drop and deservedly got back into the game, Saidou Ouedraogo heading home from a corner. Lassane Baga prodded in in first half stoppage time to put Etoile in front at half time. And it was another new signing, Coulibaly that lashed home in the second half to wrap up a 3-1 win.

Next they entertained Bobo Sport. Souleymane Ouedraogo opened his account for the season with a magnificent solo effort, beating two players before firing home. Yet again they were to curse their lack of killer instinct. Alain Nebie grabbed an equaliser and the visitors hung on for a 1-1 draw.

It was a great response away to US Yatenga. Ouedraogo again scored, this time a long range effort. Mohamed Zakari put them 2-0 up just before the break, another great finish. And he was on hand to score again in the second half. Played through by Moussa Sanou, he yet again showed great composure to slot home for 3-0. Etoile will be delighted with him so far, he provides a real potency up front that was maybe the difference in losing out last season.

Rather predictably, a win was followed by a draw, although in slightly more spectacular circumstances than normal. US Ouedraogo were the visitors. Youngster Abdoulaye Diarra gave Etoile the lead just before the break with a beautiful placed shot from the edge of the area. Coulibaly doubled the lead after the break, a low drive from range. But the visitors hit back through a scarppy goal poked in by Hermann Ouedraogo. Coulibaly looked to have sealed the win when he smashed home another beauty from range. But Ouagdougo were not to be outdone. Simplice Yameogo scored not once but twice, both in breakaway counter attacks to rescue a point for the visitors.

Rather disconcertingly, no home win in the opening month for Etoile.

10.8.11 - AS Koupela Stadium

AS Koupela 1-3 Etoile Filante

(Zakari, Baga, Coulibaly)

20.8.11 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 1-1 Bobo Sport

(Ouedraogo)

24.8.11 - US Yatenga Stadium

US Yatenga 0-3 Etoile Filante

(Ouedraogo, Zakari x2)

31.8.11 - Stade de 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Etoile Filante 3-3 US Ouagadougo

(Diarra, Coulibaly x2)