What The Hell Do I Say At Half Time!?

This isnt a whinge thread. The new patch is really good n all that.

A problem im having with this game (since i bought it) has been what to say at half time if leading by more than 1 goal. Im usually alright at team talks but if im 2-0 up ill usuall just go pleased but that usually results in nothing happening or the oppo getting back in the game! If im 3 or 4 nil up Ill probs say delighted (depending on strength of oppo) but then NOTHING happens in second half. For eg, Ive just played catania in serie a. I was up 4-0 in half hour(awesome) so I say delighted at half time. do you know what happened in second half...not one single highlight.lol. straight through to end of game. couldnt believe it. I know 4-0 is great but id expect a least an attack on goal (i play extended highlights).

so ive come on here due to my own inneptitude to ask you guys, what the hell do i say at half time???

This isnt a whinge thread. The new patch is really good n all that.

A problem im having with this game (since i bought it) has been what to say at half time if leading by more than 1 goal. Im usually alright at team talks but if im 2-0 up ill usuall just go pleased but that usually results in nothing happening or the oppo getting back in the game! If im 3 or 4 nil up Ill probs say delighted (depending on strength of oppo) but then NOTHING happens in second half. For eg, Ive just played catania in serie a. I was up 4-0 in half hour(awesome) so I say delighted at half time. do you know what happened in second half...not one single highlight.lol. straight through to end of game. couldnt believe it. I know 4-0 is great but id expect a least an attack on goal (i play extended highlights).

so ive come on here due to my own inneptitude to ask you guys, what the hell do i say at half time???

Have a look in the TT&T board, I did also create a thread about teamtalks, called "Has anybody cracked teamtalks".

I haven't got anything to back it up but I'm in the school of 'never be too pleased'. If I am winning by a good margin I will tell the team not to get complacent or encourage them to go forth and finish the game. I haven't been too successful in FM09 as yet so I haven't seen that many great wins, but I do recall a few early Bournemouth games where I have been doing well, told them they are great, and then the second half turns great.

As for why this happens, well my only theory is that your team lack the confidence to go out and be even better than what you perceive as 'great'. They worry that they may get complacent and lose the match so they play safe. Encouragement may change that. Saying 'we can win this' may shock them into thinking they can win it by more. You may not get that option of course. It may just be 'encourage'.

Encouragement doesn't always have to mean go and do better. It can mean go and do even better.

I haven't got anything to back it up but I'm in the school of 'never be too pleased'. If I am winning by a good margin I will tell the team not to get complacent or encourage them to go forth and finish the game. I haven't been too successful in FM09 as yet so I haven't seen that many great wins, but I do recall a few early Bournemouth games where I have been doing well, told them they are great, and then the second half turns great.

As for why this happens, well my only theory is that your team lack the confidence to go out and be even better than what you perceive as 'great'. They worry that they may get complacent and lose the match so they play safe. Encouragement may change that. Saying 'we can win this' may shock them into thinking they can win it by more. You may not get that option of course. It may just be 'encourage'.

Encouragement doesn't always have to mean go and do better. It can mean go and do even better.

the thing is if ur winning by more than 1 the encouragement option isnt there. thats the problem. im with juve' and am unbeaten in god knows how long so not sure its a confidence thing. i wish there was an option saying something like 'go out and keep doing what you're doing'or 'go out there and finish them off' something a long those lines. TOP teams shouldnt need to be told dont get complacent whenever they are 2/3 nil up. they should know this already

Well regarding your situation forzautd, if my team were to go in at half-time being 2-0 up, I will not select any 'team' options. Instead, I will say "I have faith" to those whose ratings are of 7.0-7.5 (depending on the quality of the opposition) or higher. I would also administer criticism to players that have under-performed, usually ratings 5.9 or below.

However, I do place high importance on my team's motivation. If any player is labelled as being "Complacent", I will tell him that I am "Disappointed" in him even if his rating is average or slightly good. Those average players who are already labelled as "Looking Motivated", I will generally leave alone and hope their motivation eventually leads to a better second-half performance.

I never ever use "Pleased" or "Delighted", unless the match was a pre-season friendly.

I also seldom use "Don't get complacent" unless I am up by a huge goal margin (something like 4 or 5 goals up) by half-time. Of course this means I rarely use this. :( I think I used it once in the entire 2008-2009 season.

Well regarding your situation forzautd, if my team were to go in at half-time being 2-0 up, I will not select any 'team' options. Instead, I will say "I have faith" to those whose ratings are of 7.0-7.5 (depending on the quality of the opposition) or higher. I would also administer criticism to players that have under-performed, usually ratings 5.9 or below.

However, I do place high importance on my team's motivation. If any player is labelled as being "Complacent", I will tell him that I am "Disappointed" in him even if his rating is average or slightly good. Those average players who are already labelled as "Looking Motivated", I will generally leave alone and hope their motivation eventually leads to a better second-half performance.

I never ever use "Pleased" or "Delighted", unless the match was a pre-season friendly.

I also seldom use "Don't get complacent" unless I am up by a huge goal margin (something like 4 or 5 goals up) by half-time. Of course this means I rarely use this. :( I think I used it once in the entire 2008-2009 season.

thanks for that mate, ive never tried using different ones on each player. ill try it next time im up a few at HT.

thanks for that mate, ive never tried using different ones on each player. ill try it next time im up a few at HT.

You are most welcome, hope they help in retaining a win for your side! Do keep an eye on your players' morale as well. Harsh words to someone who is low on morale could likely lead to him playing even worse.

Well regarding your situation forzautd, if my team were to go in at half-time being 2-0 up, I will not select any 'team' options. Instead, I will say "I have faith" to those whose ratings are of 7.0-7.5 (depending on the quality of the opposition) or higher

Hmm I thought "I have faith" was meant for players with low morale. Seems a strange thing to say to players performing well, but if it keeps them performing well then that's good to know.

Then I am sure you have not read my guide :)

ye i have read it mate. Why would i have said i have if i hadnt? but ive never tried doing individual HT teamtalks on the WHOLE team. if there is a player that needs to be told something different. like a new comer being told 'no pressure' then i would do that.

anyways just tried doing all individual TT's and it seems to have worked well. i grabbed a goal straight after Ht so fair do's.

Archived