What age do you need to sign a player to become Home-Grown?

Coop

The rule is 3 full seasons before he turns 21, right? (Could be wrong, but thats what we thought when our club was trying to sort out the u23s compensation thing) Which would mean most of the time 17 and sometimes 18

Yeah your right , he must play 3 full seasons before the age of 21

To be safe buy the player before or on his actual 18th birthday.

I have a question though, say you send out a player on loan in his third year before he has achieved home grown status, does he still achieve it? And does it matter to which nation he goes out on loan, or does it have to be to a club within the domestic nation?

I always keep them for 3 years before sending them out to be safe but it would be nice to know, to make room for a couple more promising youngsters in the reserve team.

The RL rules are as long as the club still holds his registration, it will count. Not sure if FM reflects that though.

Anyone confirm? Could you send a player to a foreign country and still have him registered as a HG player for your club?

Yes, you can loan him out. Note that players under 21 can play in your Euro ties without being on the list of registered players. So if you have a first-team wonderkid don't register him in the list of 25.

For my next season I have 9 homegrown in country, but only 1 produced by the club; since I need 4 I'll have to leave 3 spaces and register 22 players.

I've not played FM09 much as i'm waiting for the patch, but in real life 18 would be the oldest to for them to be eligible to eventually become a home grown player.

Actually, if I recall correctly, FM08 didn't implement this quite correctly, as they had to be 17 in that, anyone know if it's fixed in FM09?

Archived