France Ligue 1: Can someone explain foreign player rules?

Decided to give l'OM a try. I'm having a hard time understanding what players are inherently eligible and what nations' players count toward the 4 player foreign maximum. I've brought in players from Russia and Nigeria, and I already had a number of African players. The only players who seem to be showing up as foreign are players from Brazil and a guy who was already on the roster from Serbia.

I've checked, and several of the players from non-EU countries that are not being counted toward my allotment of 4 foreign players do not have secondary citizenship from an EU country (Zhirkov from Russia, for example, has only Russian citizenship). Can someone explain how the French foreign player rules work?

Thanks

Another example of fm being bad at explaining these rules.

I'm not totally sure which countries but all of EU + Norway, Switzerland, Iceland etc...

Russia also has a special arrangement as does a lot of francophone Africa.

It would certainly be nice if this could get sorted out with the next patch. The "EU national" thing right now is definitely confusing. Anyone have a link to how it works in the real world? Assuming the RW and FM are the same on this......

And as the last poster said, it looks like much of Africa is exempt, not just Francophone. I've brought in a couple of Nigerians just to check it. Definitely irritating to have to bring in players from different nations to see who's welcome and who's not.

• 2 years later...

Archived