Struggling to decide what game to play

Hi Guys,

I don't know if alot of other players get this, but everytime I start a game it ussually lasts 10 of lss league games before I deicde to ither play as another team or start again with my current one. Alot of my friends do this too, lasting a few games to a season max. Normally its every time we log on to the computer again just feel like starting over. My longest games have only lasted 3 seasons (Juventus 01/02, Juventus 08 and tottenham 08) so as you can imagine I look in envy at peoples games that have lasted so long. If bad results go my way or if I can't sign a player I want to restart lol.

Now Ive ben itching for a career game, that will last me atleast 20 seasons. Something I can sink my teeth in to. I have a powerful computer (I'm a qualified computer engineer) so I can run alot of leagues. So I have two ideas of how I can do it.

IDEA ONE

Start as a big club and get used to the game. I'm thinking Juventus as i love them and I hav played as them before. The overall goal would be too win the titles with Juventus for alot of years and then move to bigger clubs in each continnt to try and win their vrsions of the champions league. If I ever get sacked just apply for other jobs.

IDEA TWO

Start as unemployed and see what team I get. The teams availible would be from around the world and I might not necessarily start in England.

The overall goals would be the same on each Idea. Win each leagues highest league title with cups and then each continents version of the champions league. The intrnational to the world cup. A lot of work I know but should keep me interested right?

What do you think? I think switching clubs very early and restarting is all too common in FM. Any tips to keep me and other fellow FM players enjoying playing for the long haul on a save?

Thanks for your help guys :D

P.S. Sorry my keyboard 'e' key does not always work lol! Damn cheap keyboard :p

I'd advise you to add yourself as the manager of a random club by using the 'Randomise' feature when choosing clubs at the start. If you're looking for a more interesting/challenging game, check out the Challenges, Sign-ups and Experiments Forum. You can also update your progress should you decide to go ahead with this game in the Career Thread in there.

I started a game with man united as always and I predictably got bored. It's no fun spending millions on stars, the expectations are so high it's just frustrating when you lose despite dominating, and it's boring when you keep winning

So I decided to start a new game and choose a random English team, it selected Wolves. Not exactly lower league, but it's lots of fun so far and enough of a challenge that I won't turn them in to world beaters and get bored within a few years

Thankfully I'm crap at FM so it takes a long time for me to drastically improve a non-premiership team

I get this sometimes. Eventually though I find a team/game that I can stick with for 3+ seasons. From what I've found, never start as a big sides! Having high expectations = fail, because its pretty much lose/lose. You're expected to win, so when you don't it makes it annoying. Saying this though, I have completed 5 seasons with Liverpool on 3 different games, but thats probably because I love them...

I never have enough patience to be a LLM though, so I generally start as a Championship or Lower Premiership side. One day, I will do Dafuge's challenge. I promise.

Only you can decide how to play the game and know what is motivating you to keep going. Here is what I usually do though.

I don't have the problem of feeling I want to start over at all. I usually pick around 20 leagues from 10 or so countries. Then I usually start in England in league 2 or the blue square with a team that is predicted to end up somewhere in the middle or lower regions of the competition. Then I stick to that team untill I get fired or I feel I have done all I can with the team. After that I grab the first job at another club that I can get and do the same with them. I usually play the same game untill the next version is released unless something happen to it. I play slowly though so I usually don't get a huge amount of seasons played, but still a fair number.

To keep the game motivating I tend to put out goals for myself and as soon as one is achieved I put up another. I find it more fun and challanging to work my way up from a smaller team than to start out with a huge club with lots of money, I have become a champion at finding bargains and freebies to bolster my squads.

Most fun (and longest lasting) games I've played have been with lower league teams and working my way up.

It's also fun to try leagues you know nothing about (FM can be educational too!!) or in leagues like America that have strict squad restrictions that force you to find players that you wouldn't normally sign. With the top clubs I always fund myself signing the same players and getting bored.

Archived