Patch for FMH?

Hey fellows,

A patch for the PC game has been published - but is it at all possible to make a patch for FMH, so some of the bugs and missfitts can been adjusted? I surdenly hope so, because the FMH09 (my first Handheld version of the game) has dissapointed me quite a lot.

Hope the SI will develop a patch for FMH09, and that they develop the Handheld version much more ahead of the FMH10.

Best regards,

Leron

... what has disappointed you about fmh 09??

The effect of multi-playable leagues has been absent, in my opinion. The selection of playable leagues has also dissapointed me - we are the nordic countries? I do not like the max 4 playable countries - I would rather prefer, a possibility to choose max 10 leagues, no matter how many countries.

The transfer face of the game has also dissapointed me. The transfers go to easy - 'favoured club' under the players profile seems to be just a line of text, and not a factor in the game. Swap players, list players for loans, recall players, un-transferlist players. A lot is missing compared with reality and the PC game version.

Match fixtures is along missing parts. Only three friendlies are arrangered at the beginning of a new game, and you are not able to arrange other/new friendlies yourself. This is a big miss in my eyes. Training games are the time for developing your own style and tactic in the game. In the PC version, under fixtures, you are able to see the squad who played, the opponents squad and facts from the game, in a split-screen below or above the fixtures.

Staff is missing. Training should be more effective. A lot has been said about the 2D match engine already and I agree with lot of the critic. It's to slow, non fluent - it looks to artificial. Squad numbers is missing.

And finally for now, the interaction with players and media is poor. Almost non existing. Players need to react on other players coming in to the squad. And the media needs to be more aggressive for stories and gossip - like in real life.

Best regards,

Leron

You can list players for loan and also un transfer list players. If you are used to playing the pc version i can understand your feelings towards it beucase it does have alot of things the pc version has missing. The reason some of these things are missed of is becuase of the capabilies of the psp and also the umd disc size.

Alot of the things you talk about are really bonuses and not really that important to the game. for example squad numbers arent important. also about arranging friendlies. It would be nice to be able to but not important.

I also am also little bit disappointed with the mutli league set up. I thought if you had england as your main league and italy, france and spain as your top leagues then the english division would have a full squads but players here and there are missing. maybe next year.

Daniel

But the UMD can hold at least 800mb more info accoriding to some people so why can't more features be added, without the loss of the database? If it is to speed up precessing time, i don't think any fan of FMH would mind waiting a little longer to start/play games if there is a larger database and more features. I know i wouldn't, and I pay for the privelage of being dissapointed and if it meant longer processing times to be less dissapointed i'd pay more hahaha

If to much stuff gets added then it will slow the game down and make it into the pc version which takes forever to do a season and gets boring quick.People buy the psp because of the speed of it.I didnt think anything was wrong with this years version the database is better and i dont use the 2d pitch so doesnt bother me.

Wow... Way to advertise your ignorance.

1. No, this version cannot be patched. You are right though, SI should look into possibly implementing this for future versions, however the way FMH games are coded could be a hassle in implementing patches

2. What on earth is there to learn from FIFA09 Manager Mode!? It's bad, really bad. I love FIFA, but every aspect of the manager mode is so simplistic. Don't use staff upgrades as an example of its superiority- having to pay exponentially increasing one-off sums for Level 1 to Level 10 upgrades is just silly and the results are too 'obvious'... Pay 10 million to upgrade your Stadium Manager and low and behold, next game you take in slightly more cash. Let me guess what happens if I pay 5 million to upgrade my 'Strker Coach', which incidentally results in the display of a little picture of my new staff member *charmed*. And don't even get me started on the absolutely incredibly ridiculously frustrating loading times. Absolutely unnaceptable waiting times for any game, needs to be seriously looked at. Verdict: Pretty pictures and a variety of skin-deep gimmicks at the cost of any real depth and having "LOADING" burnt into the LCD screen cos that's all you'll ever see

3. You were told available countries before you bought the game. Don't buy it then whinge that specific leagues aren't there. Try a constructive post in the Ideas thread as to why a particular league should be added

4. 10 leagues? You can't be serious... I have never in all my time on any of the PC games (started at CM99-00), or any of the FMH games for that matter, had that many leagues active. For the sake of efficiency and sufficient depth within active leagues it is necessary to restrict the maximum active ones as they have; any more would simply not be able to run fast enough to achieve any enjoyment out of the game

5. In response the the 'missing' bits of the game such as listing for loan and recalling players...I suggest actually playing the game so you know what's in it. If you don't know how to do something then ask or put it in the Ideas thread for future FMH games

6. Split screen and all that jazz during games is just getting ahead of yourself. Agreed, the 2D match engine has its bugs, but for it's first implementation it is a formidable effort and one most people are happy with. To concern themselves with adding split screen views and various other visuals at the same time as the 2D match engine is a waste of dvelopment time and resources. There are many views to select on match day to see all the stats and it's only a little screen!

7. Media is constantly being improved upon in FM games, and I can assure you if you play FMH more you'll notice players reacting to player departures/arrivals

Sigh...

... 2. What on earth is there to learn from FIFA09 Manager Mode!?

Funny that the part you're mentioning, is the part where the FIFA09 Manager Mode is better than FMH09 in my opinion. Staff upgrading and the benefit of this, is important in both the game and real life. The right people behind you can easen your job.

It's true that I have not played the FMH09 that much yet - but as far as I can hear, you haven't given the FIFA09 Manager Mode (for PSP) much of a chance either. "Talk of ignorancy." ;)

There are many views to select on match day to see all the stats and it's only a little screen!

I was talking about the fixtures-screen.

Try a constructive post in the Ideas thread as to why a particular league should be added

Learn constructivity, before you teach it. :)

Best regards,

Leron

Adding squad numbers and staff would take up further precious memory, meaning even fewer players in the database.

How is it that so? Again, you can learn from the FIFA09 (for PSP). They got a lot of stuff packed on the UMD - the Manager Mode contains staff and squad numbers. And I believe that the rest of the stuff filling up the memory on the FIFA09 UMD is more than the FMH09 UMD contains.

If the memory is the biggest problem for the SI to deal with in developing FMH - I would like to suggest that the minimum requered free space on the Memory Stick is being raised. Most PSP owners already have several GB - so use this option.

Best regards,

Leron

How is it that so? Again, you can learn from the FIFA09 (for PSP). They got a lot of stuff packed on the UMD - the Manager Mode contains staff and squad numbers. And I believe that the rest of the stuff filling up the memory on the FIFA09 UMD is more than the FMH09 UMD contains.

If the memory is the biggest problem for the SI to deal with in developing FMH - I would like to suggest that the minimum requered free space on the Memory Stick is being raised. Most PSP owners already have several GB - so use this option.

Best regards,

Leron

It's got nothing to do with the Memory Stick. When people say "memory" they are talking about the Internal Memory of the PSP.

:)

It's got nothing to do with the Memory Stick. When people say "memory" they are talking about the Internal Memory of the PSP.

:)

Fair enough - that is harder to do anything about.

But if FIFA09 Manager Mode can include squad numbers (and a perfect 3D football game) to be runned by the internal memory of the PSP, shouldn't the FMH be able to include and run squad numbers?

It doesn't stick together in my mind. :)

Best regards,

Leron

Fair enough - that is harder to do anything about.

But if FIFA09 Manager Mode can include squad numbers (and a perfect 3D football game) to be runned by the internal memory of the PSP, shouldn't the FMH be able to include and run squad numbers?

It doesn't stick together in my mind. :)

Best regards,

Leron

I can't really comment more then I have... I don't work for SI :(

• SI Staff

I'll try and take a look at FIFA09 Manager mode (I presume this is on the PSP FIFA game?) at some point (I generally try and play ever management game available if you wondered).

Do please bear in mind though that FMH PSP contains a heck of a lot of data - it has more players and a more detailed engine than CM3 had on the PC when that was released ... all crammed into a PSP, this might not seem particularly impressive from a graphical perspective but imho the gameplay and realism it gives is more important than something being 'pretty'.

(although we as always do try and improve the appearance of our games from version to version)

Its possible we'll expand the leagues available at some point in the future (although I doubt it'll expand beyond 4 leagues active at once simply because we're already near the redline memorywise with that many active) - however we don't have a feature set for FMH010 set in stone yet because its still very much early days and we're obviously still intent on listening to feedback about FMH09 at present and learning what you like/dislike and how everyone feels it should be improved going forward ...

Honestly I think we'll see more and more posts like this. Some people will never be happy and people ask for all kinds of additions even though they really don't have a clue about programming or a PSP's memory constraints etc. Personally I don't use the 2D pitch at all and features like that don't really interest me. Running 10 leagues at once? Seriously, if you're gonna put that much time into it you just need to buy the PC version. I'd be happy with the game having no graphical content and just be filled with as many players and features as possible. I'm sure over time, as technology progresses, we'll see more and more additions but at some point you have to trust Marc & SI when they say they are basically shoe-horning in as much stuff as they can. I think my number 1 priority is that it is quick & responsive to play and it's not gonna take me a week to finish a season. I think that's the main reason the majority of us love it.

P.S Great post, mbchuz. You said a lot of things I was already thinking!

Running 10 leagues at once? Seriously, if you're gonna put that much time into it you just need to buy the PC version.

I have my reasons, as to choose the PSP version over the PC version, at this time. ;)

Running 10 leagues isn't that absurd. You're are almost doing it! Running England (All Divisions, 5 Divisions from PL-Blue Sq.) and then 3 freely choosen Top Divisions. That makes it 8. So 10 differents leagues is not that absurd. My wish is though, that I am able to choose only two Divisions of England, and then 6 or 8 additional (top) leagues.

Ex, if it was possible, I would choose: England (PL and Championship), France (Ligue 1), Germany (First Division), Holland (Eredivisie), Italy (Serie A and B) and Spain (Liga BBVA). This is eight leagues - adding ChL and Euro Cup makes it 10 leagues. This will include all the best players in Europe in my opinion.

Best Regards,

Leron

I'll try and take a look at FIFA09 Manager mode (I presume this is on the PSP FIFA game?) at some point (I generally try and play ever management game available if you wondered).

Thanks for participating in a good matter and tone, taking critics and new ideas along with you, with an open mind. That's constructive! :)

All respect to the SI. I'm still playing, and loving FMH09 - I just believe it could have been better.

Yes, it is on the PSP FIFA game, that I've tried the FIFA09 Manager Mode.

Best regards,

Leron

Sure, take a look at FIFA's staff upgrades...but for god's sake don't put it into FMH. The only acceptable implementation of staff for most FMH fans will be a complete database of staff with basic attributes and the ability to sign/dismiss. I really can't see any alternative. The FIFA staff upgrade system is very basic and will quite simply not be taken very well in an FMH game, mostly due to our desire for realism. Real teams sign real staff who they believe will gradually influence their players to better performances, with the coaches themselves improving along the way. Real teams do not pay a $5 million lump sum for a level 5 coach to replace their level 4 one, with the level 4 coach magically disappearing to make room for the new staff member, who will always be levell 5 and will always have a 10% better impact on the players than the guy walking out the door. FIFA is a good game, as is FMH, but the games are not comparable. Different genres really...

• SI Staff
As I understand it, you'd pretty much have to lose a player from the database for each member of staff you include.

That is indeed pretty much the case - which is why we haven't implemented 'staff' into the game at present.

On a restricted platform like the PSP everything is a trade off ... every improvement we put into new versions is made possible by our increasing knowledge of the platform and more efficient code (ie. we have to free up some memory for every feature added each version).

Pretty much, and the number of players active already seems stretched. Which brings me onto my next point: Lerongo you made a good point about the game already running 7 or 8 leagues at its peak, but if you take a look around the forums I think you'll see quite a few posts about people disappointed by the lack of squad depth in the selected leagues. Rafael and Fabio missing from Man Utd comes to mind when playing multiple leagues. It can only get worse as more leagues are selected, requiring the number of players to be spread even thinner over more leagues and nations

The only acceptable implementation of staff for most FMH fans will be a complete database of staff with basic attributes and the ability to sign/dismiss. I really can't see any alternative. The FIFA staff upgrade system is very basic and will quite simply not be taken very well in an FMH game, mostly due to our desire for realism.

I agree with you here. The FIFA staff system wouldn't work on the FMH - it is not real people and the cost of it absurd. We agree at this point. But the effect and importance of staff in the game, we disagree upon.

As it already has been brought up, I haven't played FMH that much yet - but my game-feeling about the results of training is far better in FIFA09 Manager Mode than FMH.

Not said though, that FIFA09 Manager Mode is better than FMH. Just said, that something must and can be learned from the FIFA09. If not the staff part, then something about how they are able to have a big player-db with 3D pictures and figures, possibility to play your matches yourself (in 3D), tactics, squad numbers etc. on the same limited conditions (the PSP it self, the UMD, memory) as the FMH.

Best regards,

Leron

This is basically due to FIFA09 accessing the UMD more. As I understand it, FMH runs almost completely off the RAM- ie. when you start it up a game it goes through A UMD-intensive process where it loads all the necessary databases to memory, which it then processes from there as you play through the game. It very rarely accesses the UMD again as you progress through a season (not nearly as much as FIFA09 anyway...). In FIFA09, much of the PSP's memory is taken up by all the graphics, media centre and other whiz bang visuals. Whilst this isn;t a bad thing in that it does enhance the game a lot, it means that every time you go to view your squad it needs to do a bit of loading...playing a game requires a lot of loading as it loads the match files to RAM...returning to the menu after a game then requires more loading again as it replaces the match sounds/graphics/engine and loads menu files to the memory so they can be more quickly accessed. A way to demonstrate this is to listen to your UMD drive working as you progress to a match; then actuallly pullling your UMD out as you run around the pitch- your game will probably continue for a short time as the PSP runs off the inbuilt memory. Try doing this in the menus and I imagine it would freeze up very quickly as it would constantly be accessing the UMD. All this UMD usage causes the game to be very slow with loading times as the UMD drive is extremely slow relative to the RAM. FMH on the other hand can run almost completely independent of the UMD once started (try it ;) ) since it runs off the impressively fast RAM

Hope this made sense, and I hope it explains why we will always cherish the speed of FMH over any unnecessary enhances

I think that all that needs to be done now is

1. patching the commentary( whats shown on the screen(text) doesnt match what i shown on the 2d engine)

2. no need to increase the number of playable countries, but instead make the current playable countries have full leagues(while choosing to have your career in more than 1 country, Eg: if u selected England as ur 1st league,then maybe u also cld have italy down to serie c1,spain down to segunda b.etc)

3. as much as i appreciate crickle's doing the changes.txt update file. could SI consider releasing an 'official' data patch for fmh?

Finally, could SI consider removing the A-League? while selecting leagues, the A-League has only 1 division but takes up the (full league) option so selecting other leagues would only result in getting their top division.

Just my two cents' worth.

Toss me a pm anytime on facebook(ivan issac lim)

Regards

Ivan

Singapore

Re: Jason

1. The commentary doesn't need patching. The fault seems to lie with the 2D pitch rather than the commentary, and rest assured as FMH progresses so too will the quality of the 2D match engine

2. Fair call, but again these will be improved upon as time goes by. This is, afterall, the first time multiple countries can be selected so it is already a big improvement this year

3. Crickie and co do a great job so it leads to me ask this- if SI did an 'official' update, what would the differences be from Crickie's? I'd say they'd be pretty much identical...

4. Don't remove the A-league! Simply because there's no reason to. Leagues can be added without impacting on other ones, so I don't understand why people feel the need to ask for leagues to be taken out or replaced. And as an Aussie I love having the A-League playable :)

Finally, could SI consider removing the A-League? while selecting leagues, the A-League has only 1 division but takes up the (full league) option so selecting other leagues would only result in getting their top division.

I agree with the need to change the A League set up so when you select that it is not the main league, this needs to be changed to a background league so you can play in a different country with a full db instead of a limited one

This is basically due to FIFA09 accessing the UMD more. As I understand it, FMH runs almost completely off the RAM- ie. when you start it up a game it goes through A UMD-intensive process where it loads all the necessary databases to memory, which it then processes from there as you play through the game. It very rarely accesses the UMD again as you progress through a season (not nearly as much as FIFA09 anyway...). In FIFA09, much of the PSP's memory is taken up by all the graphics, media centre and other whiz bang visuals. Whilst this isn;t a bad thing in that it does enhance the game a lot, it means that every time you go to view your squad it needs to do a bit of loading...playing a game requires a lot of loading as it loads the match files to RAM...returning to the menu after a game then requires more loading again as it replaces the match sounds/graphics/engine and loads menu files to the memory so they can be more quickly accessed. A way to demonstrate this is to listen to your UMD drive working as you progress to a match; then actuallly pullling your UMD out as you run around the pitch- your game will probably continue for a short time as the PSP runs off the inbuilt memory. Try doing this in the menus and I imagine it would freeze up very quickly as it would constantly be accessing the UMD. All this UMD usage causes the game to be very slow with loading times as the UMD drive is extremely slow relative to the RAM. FMH on the other hand can run almost completely independent of the UMD once started (try it ;) ) since it runs off the impressively fast RAM

Hope this made sense, and I hope it explains why we will always cherish the speed of FMH over any unnecessary enhances

Thank you for a good and intelligible explanation to the work and running of FMH.

Best regards,

Leron

Hi

With respect to Lerongo, I don't see what is so great about Fifa Manager mode. The time it takes to do player search or often loading between different type of screen, is very time consuming.

I know the two games are very different. But personally I dont celebrate much about Fifa's manager mode. It makes me actually grateful to FMH that it's ability to filter through hundreds if not thousands of players in one search according to specified parameters, and arranging them at the press of a button is some efficient computing.

Each to their own. FMH is a fantastic game. But Fifa's manager mode makes me even more appreciative of the computing speed of Fm. Off topic maybe, but what you say about the UMD look how much info is at your fingertips on FM and how quickly it processes it. I agree with the other posters re: speed.

ur replies to all my issues make sense. lets hope the improvements come out as early as next season's game. Btw, i still feel the a-league is btr off used as a background league since it only has a single division. This way it wont have to be removed.

Regards

Ivan

Archived