One Foot in the Grave

This will shock most people on these forums because it's actually a positive thread!

A lot has been made of the AI and how it cheats/makes up the rules as it goes along. Penalties, free kicks, long shots etc have all been labelled as the AI's get out clause, but we never hear anything if any of these comes to someones rescue.

Let me set the scene. After 6 years and 12 trophies with FC Bayern (unfortunately an empty European cabinet though) I decided to move into a more challenging league and accepted the job as Spurs manager. Spurs hadn't won anything in a long long time and had continually underachieved so I set about taking them to 3rd and was really pleased with this achievement. Just as I was preparing myself for a real title push my dream job came along with Barcelona, despite my reservations I accepted.

Anyways, to cut a long story short, i'm 9 points clear in the League but suffered a humiliating 7-0 agg thrashing to real Madrid in the second round of the cup, which the board and fans are angry about. I'd been set a target of CL semi finals and for the first time in 08 I thought I finally had a chance of winning it. I dispatched Hannover, Lyon and Twente in the group stages with ease and was drawn with Benfica in the Firt Knockout Round. A 7-1 agg hammering of Benfica really got my hopes up, but I was drawn with Man Utd in the QF. Utd were sitting in 7th place in the EPL so I was quietly confident. I was brought back down to earth at Old Trafford as Utd thumped me 3-0 with Enyeama playing a blinder for them. I really thought I was down and out, one foot in the grave so to speak, but persisted with my tactic in the second leg.

44 minutes in and amazingly i've got it back to 3-3, i'm ecstatic, can't believe it and really thinking my luck is with me this year. 90 minutes comes, no winner and extra time, 120 minutes comes and we're heading to penalties, which i'm dreading as I lost 5 penalty shoot outs out of 5 at FC Bayern. Then this happens in the 3rd minute of Extra Time-Stoppage Time.....

I don't believe it!!

To sum up, i'm over the moon, but for these forums purposes I thought i'd break the norm and mention when a player comes out on top over the AI.

This will shock most people on these forums because it's actually a positive thread!

A lot has been made of the AI and how it cheats/makes up the rules as it goes along. Penalties, free kicks, long shots etc have all been labelled as the AI's get out clause, but we never hear anything if any of these comes to someones rescue.

Let me set the scene. After 6 years and 12 trophies with FC Bayern (unfortunately an empty European cabinet though) I decided to move into a more challenging league and accepted the job as Spurs manager. Spurs hadn't won anything in a long long time and had continually underachieved so I set about taking them to 3rd and was really pleased with this achievement. Just as I was preparing myself for a real title push my dream job came along with Barcelona, despite my reservations I accepted.

Anyways, to cut a long story short, i'm 9 points clear in the League but suffered a humiliating 7-0 agg thrashing to real Madrid in the second round of the cup, which the board and fans are angry about. I'd been set a target of CL semi finals and for the first time in 08 I thought I finally had a chance of winning it. I dispatched Hannover, Lyon and Twente in the group stages with ease and was drawn with Benfica in the Firt Knockout Round. A 7-1 agg hammering of Benfica really got my hopes up, but I was drawn with Man Utd in the QF. Utd were sitting in 7th place in the EPL so I was quietly confident. I was brought back down to earth at Old Trafford as Utd thumped me 3-0 with Enyeama playing a blinder for them. I really thought I was down and out, one foot in the grave so to speak, but persisted with my tactic in the second leg.

44 minutes in and amazingly i've got it back to 3-3, i'm ecstatic, can't believe it and really thinking my luck is with me this year. 90 minutes comes, no winner and extra time, 120 minutes comes and we're heading to penalties, which i'm dreading as I lost 5 penalty shoot outs out of 5 at FC Bayern. Then this happens in the 3rd minute of Extra Time-Stoppage Time.....

I don't believe it!!

To sum up, i'm over the moon, but for these forums purposes I thought i'd break the norm and mention when a player comes out on top over the AI.

The AI doesn't cheat to save itself. If it did then I wouldn't have won 7 titles...

But anyhow, my first and still favorite title was basically handed to me. Man U had it in the bag, all they needed was a win and a draw from 4 games to seal it... They drew all four. Including the last match of the season against Villa. They were 2-0 up at the 90'. I was 1-0 down to tottenham at the half, but Elano got us back on terms and then who else but Eddie Johnson to win us the match, and thanks to a Gabby Abonglahor 2 minute double, the title.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Some guy....:

The AI doesn't cheat to save itself. If it did then I wouldn't have won 7 titles...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh no no, I don't want everyone thinking that I think the AI cheats, I really don't. My point is that there have been a lot of threads on this forum moaning about the AI and penalties/extra time etc and in a break from the norm I thought i'd start a thread about when it works in our favour. I certainly don't think the AI cheats.

that is quality, and against man u too icon_smile.gif i dont think theres 'cheating' just bad luck, but in this case it what goes arond comes around for man united, all those lucky goals. if you havent already played them good luck in the semis and hopefully final. i too have a very important games coming up, Blue Square South playoff icon_rolleyes.gif could go any longer last night had to switch off and get some kip.

P.S i need a new skin and that one looks good, any chance of a link? also the kits ect. did you get them n one big bundle?

Nomis,

I had a similar event myself. Playing as Southampton in the Championship, reached the play-off final against Charlton.

Spent the first half dominating them but only led 1-0 at half time.

Started the second half dominating possession and chances again, only for my club captain and experienced CB to be sent off after 65 minutes, just 3 minutes after Charlton had equalised.

Charlton then score again to go 2-1 ahead, so I decide to change to a more defence formation with counter attacking set. 94th minutes Charlton hit the bar, my left back collects the rebound hits a long ball for my lone striker to chase, he out-paces their 2 centre backs rounds the keeper and slots the ball into the net, 2-2....I'm extatic....good old cheating AI!!!!

Extra time doesn't produce a winner, but penalties produces a further hero of my keeper, saving 2 penalties, we score them all....and I've done it, against all the odds I've beaten Charlton and gained promotion.....

There is some much enjoyment to be had from getting it right, and the AI only does what it's programmed to do, which doesn't differ from any real life opposition manager....how dare the opposition try and score after I have taken the lead!?!?! LOL icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

P.S i need a new skin and that one looks good, any chance of a link? also the kits ect. did you get them n one big bundle? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got it from SortItOutSi, here's the link and name Asesino.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Some guy....:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh no no, I don't want everyone thinking that I think the AI cheats, I really don't. My point is that there have been a lot of threads on this forum moaning about the AI and penalties/extra time etc and in a break from the norm I thought i'd start a thread about when it works in our favour. I certainly don't think the AI cheats. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are a lot of forums out on the web claiming Princess Di was murdered by MI6 and that President G.W. Gump masterminded 9/11. Just like there are a lot of threads on here claiming the AI is a sentient being that doesn't like losing.

If you are able to shoehorn facts into a mindset that means you are not responsible for your actions, or that someone else you don't like is responsible, or that you can't accept a simple explanation for events (it was a car crash / it was terrorists / it's your tactics) then you'll spend time 'proving' it and want everyone to agree with you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

i like how you are considering FM scandal:AI cheats!! as important as princess Di and 9/11 icon_biggrin.gif. no offense itnedted to anyone sensitive about these subjects i just found it funny. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like to think my QF was more important anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

P.S i need a new skin and that one looks good, any chance of a link? also the kits ect. did you get them n one big bundle? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got it from SortItOutSi, here's the link and name Asesino. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks icon14.gif

FM imitates real life. In real life managers always remember the dodgy devisions that go against them, never the dodgy decisions in their favour. Similarly, FM managers cry 'cheating AI' whenever things don't go their way, and 'I'm a brilliant tactician' when they do.

For myself, I'd say that the dodgy penalty and off-side decisions etc. that I experience go my way about as often as they go against me.

i like how you are considering FM scandal:AI cheats!! as important as princess Di and 9/11 icon_biggrin.gif. no offense itnedted to anyone sensitive about these subjects i just found it funny. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just my dig at the forum's resident conspiracy theorists - not trivialising the other matters. Apologies if it came across like that to anyone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> when a player comes out on top over the AI. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope the AI doesnt come on here complaining now!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mc-gunner:

Nomis07 where did u get that skin from </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scroll up and i've given the link. It's from SortItOutSi and called Asesino.

i must have posted this 20 times already, but it's my proudest moment in fm08...

i was 4-0 down by half time at the emirates against barcelona in the CL quarter final. instead of "trowin a wobbly" and quitting the match, i made a tactical gamble, 3-3-4. not only did i pull it back to 4-4 in injurytime, but bendtners equalizer was actually offside icon_biggrin.gif

i won 1-0 at the nou camp and won the CL outright. if somebody on these forums was 4-0 up at half time and drew 4-4 or lost, they'd be screamin that the AI cheats. it doesn't, neither did i. the problem is these positive (or negative) comebacks don't happen as often irl as they do in fm.

Archived