Have SI Dropped the Ball here???

Is it me or was 08 a just all round better game? I've been playing all weekend and install issues aside I just don't think it flows the same as previous versions.

On a positive note the new match engine in practise is pretty damn good as is the first couple of press conferences you attend (they wear thin by season end and your assistant manager has to start earning his wage) but there just seems to be a lot of little niggles, features that used to run more smoothly.

Don't get me wrong I still enjoy playing it I just don't think it's as enjoyable an experience as we fm fans are used too.

The wife will be happy as she was anticipating 6 months of grunted replies and that looks less likely :)

Does anyone agree/disagree with me, i'm curious?

(hopefully a couple of patches will sort everything out0

The media in 08 was worse than press conferences in 09

The match engine in 08 had many more problems than 09. Closing down bug? Blatant corner cheat? A million one vs ones being missed every game? Even after the second patch it didn't feel right

09 is a huge step in the right direction

I'm more than prepared to give the game the benefit of the doubt as it's only the first weekend and historically it's not till the december patch is loaded that game seems to come into it's own, SI deserve a bit of patience, it's been by far the best game out there since champ manager 1 had me pulling all nighters! :) I will say that a number of my mates are all expressing the same opinion as me on their first impressions of 09. Another thing, what about not having player profile pics? I've only installed the small database option do they appear in the larger database options?

SmurfDude, the corner cheat is pretty simple to do in 09 too.

it is? i've scored 2 corners in a season and a half! off topic i know but what tactic do you use at corners?

on topic.. I've actually found 09 much better than 08. Yes there are some niggles but after the final patch i really expect this to be up there with the best cm/fm's, maybe even the best!

I can't believe that this is starting...

From November 2007: "Football manager 07 was a far better game, sort it out SI!"

From November 2006: "What the hell happened, FM 2006 was so much better than this crap!"

From November 2005...

This kinda crap come every time a new game is released.

I even see people complaining that SI had 1 year worth of development time to build the engine and clear up bugs so they expected a perfect game with no bugs.

1 year is enough for getting a perfect game?

That's news to me.

And to SI: Great game. Though it has it's share of bugs, I believe your team will be able to resolve them. :thup:

I totally agree with the match engine being brilliant and the press conf feature is great too, although i think due to extra detail involved the game runs slower than previously. My laptop which handled the last 2 versions comfortably isn't too far above the minimum spec now and is labouring in places.

I think i need to clarify though, that generally i'm happy with 09 and i'm not slagging SI of with this topic. I was just curious of other's first impressions. I remember playing 08 7 months straight much to the chagrin of the wife and this version hasn't took hold of me like that (YET!!!).

To be fair, I have said this so many times on this forum so I am starting to sound like a stuck record, I still prefer FM 07 any day of the week over 08 and 09. It runs brilliantly on my new computer, I can have 30+ leagues running and it runs fast, games save in about 5-10 seconds and that is with 30+ leagues so it's not bad! Fm 08 I didn't feel felt right, couldn't close down when I told them to and there was a few things in the match engine I was disgruntled with.

Yeh 2009 may have better media interaction than 07 but 07 will run faster, therefor be able to play more leagues and finish the season quicker and that for me is enough to make me stick with the old warhorse that is FM 07.

Archived