Will FM2010 be a "new" FM, or just another update?

With the dawn of FM2009, its really the 5th year of the same game with each year gaining minor updates. Will FM2010 be a "new" game like CM4 was, because playing the same game over and over gets quite tired.

Minor!? You call 3D and a transfer system overhaul a minor update?

Have a word with yourself.

3d is a minor update to the same game, and its not even very usable in its 1st edition. Everything is so stale, a new version is brand new, fresh and exciting, not you searching for things that were not in the last game.

iirc there was a thread only 6 weeks where, contributed to by a shocked many, that discussed piles of neat little features in FM08 that people simply didn't know about. Many of these actually changed the way I played the game to a degree. As such, there's a lot of work that is likely not to be glaring.

The thing is, that plenty of yearly games are "mere updates" in today's time. Take EA's football manager, take the Fifa series, take Flatout 2 and the Ultimate Carnage successor and there's many more I don't know about. Singling out FM isn't fair to SI, because the core-quality is inherent in FM while lacking in many other games. Plus I still like their game best against competitors like EA Sports :D

I can understand the_spoony_bard's point of view, because it has merit. The core of the FM games has been the same for years. What has changed are plenty of minor new details (in most cases it's additional small functions or more statistics or a few graphics touch ups) and very few large overhauls.

Yes the 3D match view is new and exciting in its idea, but take a look around the forums and you'll see many people who think it's not ready for release yet. Judging by the development speed of the past few years it's easy to assume that we will not see a satisfying 3D display in FM09 but have to wait for next year's release. That's just not right in my opinion: developing a 3D feature for 15 months and you may just use one year's release to beta-test it for the next one. Maybe that's too harsh but after what I've seen I don't believe in a successful 3D in FM09 anymore.

Redoing (or heavily modifying?) a system like the transfers or the match engine may sound like a major overhaul but that's hardly surprising after they've been modified and optimized for years and have reached their limits.

My criticism aside, I'll be spending my money on FM09 as well and I will certainly enjoy the game as much as FM08 if not more so due to its new details here and there. What SI has to watch for is for how long they can sell a full priced game that is nothing more than last year's release with a couple of feature-patches applied. If SI are able to fix 3D in the upcoming patches, then I'll happily be wrong about that!

First off, to suggest the 3D and finances are minor is completely ridiculous.

Secondly, why fix what ain't broke?

Can you imagine the backlash if the game was completely re-written and thus worse than what we have now?

What the hell is a 'major' update for you anyway? What more could they possibly do that's so major?

The thing is, that plenty of yearly games are "mere updates" in today's time. Take EA's football manager, take the Fifa series, take Flatout 2 and the Ultimate Carnage successor and there's many more I don't know about. Singling out FM isn't fair to SI, because the core-quality is inherent in FM while lacking in many other games. Plus I still like their game best against competitors like EA Sports :D

I can understand the_spoony_bard's point of view, because it has merit. The core of the FM games has been the same for years. What has changed are plenty of minor new details (in most cases it's additional small functions or more statistics or a few graphics touch ups) and very few large overhauls.

Yes the 3D match view is new and exciting in its idea, but take a look around the forums and you'll see many people who think it's not ready for release yet. Judging by the development speed of the past few years it's easy to assume that we will not see a satisfying 3D display in FM09 but have to wait for next year's release. That's just not right in my opinion: developing a 3D feature for 15 months and you may just use one year's release to beta-test it for the next one. Maybe that's too harsh but after what I've seen I don't believe in a successful 3D in FM09 anymore.

Redoing (or heavily modifying?) a system like the transfers or the match engine may sound like a major overhaul but that's hardly surprising after they've been modified and optimized for years and have reached their limits.

My criticism aside, I'll be spending my money on FM09 as well and I will certainly enjoy the game as much as FM08 if not more so due to its new details here and there. What SI has to watch for is for how long they can sell a full priced game that is nothing more than last year's release with a couple of feature-patches applied. If SI are able to fix 3D in the upcoming patches, then I'll happily be wrong about that!

Well, Madden Football has been doing this for years - MINOR game changes (I won't call them improvements, as their game rots) but it is essentially a full-priced roster update. The result - I stopped buying 10 years ago.

Guest Vilosophe

transfer system overhaul is a fake.

SI has make him easy but the 2 MOST IMPORTANT POINTS aren't again in FM: 1) AI doesn't known what it payed for a player so it sell him for < (eg. 1Team buy Tizio for 1M€, Tizio plays very well, a bigger team make 500m offer and 1Team sell him....) 2)teams made the same bills and doesn't never try to overcome the others' offer.

transfer system overhaul is a fake.

SI has make him easy but the 2 MOST IMPORTANT POINTS aren't again in FM: 1) AI doesn't known what it payed for a player so it sell him for < (eg. 1Team buy Tizio for 1M€, Tizio plays very well, a bigger team make 500m offer and 1Team sell him....) 2)teams made the same bills and doesn't never try to overcome the others' offer.

People would probably be able to help you if you calmed down and managed to write in proper English.

Guest Vilosophe
People would probably be able to help you if you calmed down and managed to write in proper English.

Sorry, I didn't appear harsh and sorry for my english (i don't know the proper economic terms for explain )

Wath I want to say is:

if a "1"Team buy a Player for 1M€, if this player make great games, the "1" Team CANNOT sell him to a bigger team for <1M€ (what it payd for him) because the values range of the league is low. AI must remember how much it payed for a such player, because is the aim of little teams, make investment on players to sell them at higher price (of course, i said about players who play well)

Sorry, I didn't appear harsh and sorry for my english (i don't know the proper economic terms for explain )

Wath I want to say is:

if a "1"Team buy a Player for 1M€, if this player make great games, the "1" Team CANNOT sell him to a bigger team for <1M€ (what it payd for him) because the values range of the league is low. AI must remember how much it payed for a such player, because is the aim of little teams, make investment on players to sell them at higher price (of course, i said about players who play well)

An AI team in a league where a player can't be worth 1mil won't be spending 1 mil on a player. Only the user will. The user can then negotiate high or just sit on the player until his contract expires. Hell, the AI can do the same thing.

Just because a player's value is governed by his league doesn't mean he can't go for a fortune if he becomes good enough.

Guest Vilosophe
An AI team in a league where a player can't be worth 1mil won't be spending 1 mil on a player. Only the user will.

False.

In FM08 (and in the previous version), every year I make me manager of the other league's teams, because if I don't that, they sell off their best players for bid < of what they payed them 1 year before. Then they buy new players for higher price and so on ... in 3/4 years, my (human) team have a solid balance and a good squad, while other teams are near the bankrupt and they cannot improve their teams.

I also think that the updates in this version are, or at least seem, small. I know that the 3d engine is a new and big feature, and I hope it will get a lot better in the next games, but it seems that the updates are not comprehensive enough to justify a new full game release.

My suggestion is that if the updates in the coming versions are of the same size as in this year's game, it could be considered to get inspiration from The Sims game, where they release their 3rd full game next year, 9 years after the release of the first game. Between their big releases, they release expansion packs, and in my opinion, that could be a way to go for FM, if the updates are too small to make a full game.

Archived