LInfield FC

I've started one last game of FM2008 before FM2009 is released in few weeks.

I'm playing in Northern Ireland as Linfield.

Just starting season No.4, 2 league titles and a few cups already won BUT I've got a few questions, and looking for bit of help/advice.

1) Any tips on signing players i.e. What league level/country to aim at? I can't

even get lower league players from Scotland to sign for me. I'm picking off the

BEST players in the league every year from Glentoran, Cliftonville etc. BUT not

really improving my team that much and I'm stil struggling to win any matches in

Europe or Setanta Cup.

2) I'm doing fine in the league/cups BUT can't seem to get to next level. Any

suggested signing target(s) or tactic(s) would be much appreciated.

3) I'm just starting my fourth season and considering looking for a new job in

another country (I have ALL UK & Ireland leagues loaded and running. I'm applying

for jobs in Scottish Division 1 and getting rejected. Am I aiming too high?

4) Had a search on here and googled it too. Is there a GUIDE for either LINFIELD

or Northern Ireland League(s) anywhere? All I've managed to find was a club guide

for Crusaders.

Thanks in advance

Well your biggest mistake is starting a game as Linfield instead of Glentoran :p;)

1) You'll probably be limited to Norn Iron "talent" for a few eyars until you increase rep or increase budget to a point that you'll be able to offer foreigners enough to move to the NI Prem.

2) Depends what you mean by next level. Europe is a massive challenge with any team from NI or smaller nations, again you might be lmited for a few seasons at least, until you have the power/finances to build a good enough squad to hit that enxt level.

3) Yeah you're aiming too high tbh, Scots 3rd is your best bet.

1) - In N. Ireland, I found that Wales, Scotland and Czech Rep were massive sources for my players, (other than N. Ireland themselves).

2) - Make sure you have fast players in N. Ireland. In my experience, this won me 20ish consecutive NIP's with Knockbreda. A standard 4-4-2 with Farrows on the wide men.

3) - Dunno.

4) - Have a look at Gundo's Challenge. Not exactly guides, but many, many people played as N. Irish teams in that challenge and had careers from 10 to 35 seasons.

Well your biggest mistake is starting a game as Linfield instead of Glentoran :p;)

1) You'll probably be limited to Norn Iron "talent" for a few eyars until you increase rep or increase budget to a point that you'll be able to offer foreigners enough to move to the NI Prem.

2) Depends what you mean by next level. Europe is a massive challenge with any team from NI or smaller nations, again you might be lmited for a few seasons at least, until you have the power/finances to build a good enough squad to hit that enxt level.

3) Yeah you're aiming too high tbh, Scots 3rd is your best bet.

Glentoran won the league last year and ran me close the two before that.

One other question though regarding Linfield/ N.Ire league. I'm usually well ahead by March then LOSE almost ALL my remaining games, even against bottom sides who should really have no chance against me, WHY?

1) By N.Ire talent do you basically mean poaching the BEST players in the league. It seems almost impossible to sign anyone, of a decent level, from outwith the country.

2) Europe - I can't get past the 1st Qualifying Round!!! Have NEVER won a match in EUROPE over two legs!!!

3) I would have thought LInfield/ Glentoran etc were slightly higher level than Scots 3rd.

4) Team/League guides - Any links you know of.

Do you play as Glentoran then?

What tactic/formation do you use?

Any potential signing you can recommend?

1) - In N. Ireland, I found that Wales, Scotland and Czech Rep were massive sources for my players, (other than N. Ireland themselves).

2) - Make sure you have fast players in N. Ireland. In my experience, this won me 20ish consecutive NIP's with Knockbreda. A standard 4-4-2 with Farrows on the wide men.

3) - Dunno.

4) - Have a look at Gundo's Challenge. Not exactly guides, but many, many people played as N. Irish teams in that challenge and had careers from 10 to 35 seasons.

Thanks for replying.

1) I have tried to sign players from Welsh Premier League. I usually wait until end of season and bid for best players in their league. Problem is the GOOD ones won't sign for me and the rest I don't want. As for Scotland I've tried to sign players from 2nd/3rd Divisions who are no better than my present Linfield team and they just won't come.

2) A standard 4-4-2 with Farrows on the wide men. - I don't really understand all this farrows/barrows stuff. Can you explain the differences please.

4) It was reading Gundo's challenge which made me think of playing in N.Ireland, probably my last NEW start with FM2008.

1) Nep has more experience than I do of the NI league, have a look at his suggestions.

2) I can't remember the last time a Northern Irish team won a European tie over two legs IRL.

3) Slightly is the word. It depends what reputation you set yourself as when you started the game, if you set it as automatic it will probably take a long time to build up a big enough reputation to get another club in NI, nevermind elsewhere in the UK.

4) Nep provided a link to the Gundo challenge, I don't know of any guides, but as he says, that might help.

I don't play as Glentoran, I just don't have the patience to play as teams like that, but I am from Northern Ireland and support Glentoran. As for potential signings, i'm not sure about in game, but IRL the simple answer is none :p

if chris keenan is still playing for larne, try to sign him as i did when i was linfield, and he turned out to b a good keeper, and teams such as fulham tried to buy him from me but they had ben relegated to the championship.

i was n.ireland manager and chris keenan joined sunderland and displaced gordon after a season on the bench and became a regular in my squads

another good keeper is called mcmanus cant remember first name and then theres darryl fordyce who plays upfront or right wing

Part time players are generally far less likely to move clubs unless they really want to, far less to move countries so you are best off just looking in Northern Ireland.

Why not just send your scouts out to wherever they are allowed to go and sit back and let them do all the work? If they don't find anyone worth signinig then mebee you've reached the limit of where you can get to!

Have you gone Pro yet? If you have, it'll be easy to dominate the NIP. You'll get some tough ties in the Champs League, but the few hundred thousand you get from it will be enough to buy any competition player from Linfield and Portadown (the 2 other big clubs when I was in the NIP). I sent my scouts out relentlessly, and season for U-18's who were unattatched and interested in my club. I gave them all trials, and the decent ones got signed. It wasn't for about 8-10 seasons that I saw any progress ouside of Domestic competition, which was easy to dominate because of the aformnetioned. Make sure if you're not pro, that you get ALL of your players AND staff on full time contracts, because then you'll destroy the league, and try to invest any spare cash you have into training and youth facilites. As soon as you can scout outside of the UK, get your scouts on it and get those lads in.

Farrows are "Forward Arrows". So basically AML / AMR with Farrows for the FL / FR positions.

Have you gone Pro yet? If you have, it'll be easy to dominate the NIP. You'll get some tough ties in the Champs League, but the few hundred thousand you get from it will be enough to buy any competition player from Linfield and Portadown (the 2 other big clubs when I was in the NIP). I sent my scouts out relentlessly, and season for U-18's who were unattatched and interested in my club. I gave them all trials, and the decent ones got signed. It wasn't for about 8-10 seasons that I saw any progress ouside of Domestic competition, which was easy to dominate because of the aformnetioned. Make sure if you're not pro, that you get ALL of your players AND staff on full time contracts, because then you'll destroy the league, and try to invest any spare cash you have into training and youth facilites. As soon as you can scout outside of the UK, get your scouts on it and get those lads in.

Farrows are "Forward Arrows". So basically AML / AMR with Farrows for the FL / FR positions.

Yeah I preety much did this with Ballymoney Utd, Spent a season in div 2 learning the ropes then won 2 1 and prem in consecutive seasons, now looking forward to my big push in europe, first season in setanta shield was interesting got nailed by both irish teams. I have got a pretty good GK CB and strikeforce got these from lower league english apart from wayne drummond. Looks like winning the prem is easy, already got everyone on full time and score load of goals in the 70 minute and onwards. I reckon I can crack Europe within 5 seasons

I reached the final after about 20 seasons, but lost :(

Thanks to everyone for replying.

It was reading DAFUGE's challenge at work which got me intersted in playing in N.Ireland.

Most of you seem to be having much the same issues I'm having, although I'm only just starting my 4th season.

Europe is very HARD, haven't managed to win a match yet over two legs, only played threee ties I suppose though.

I keep getting pumped in the SETANTA CUP by the two Irish clubs too, can't get past the group stages.

Domestically I'm doing very well, just struggling to bring in any quality players from outwith N.Ireland.

The scouts aren't allowed to scout outside the country yet either. Although just hoovering up all the talent from Glentoran, Cliftonville etc semms to be keeping me on top.

I've done the training/youth upgrades as suggested, hopefully they will help.

TACTICS - I've been playing a 3-5-2 with no full-backs and 3 CD basically because I have on loan 2 really good young CD from Rangers. Mannus is a reasonable GK in my opinion, I did manage to pick up Ryan Esson (ex-Aberdeen) on a free as back-up. I play Gault in defence too. Conor Downey, Jamie Mulgrew, O'Kane and Oran Kearney are all pretty solid in midfield for me too. I've managed to hang on 'Pistol Pete' who gets 30+ goals every season and poached Rossi from Glentoran to partner him up front.

Would the earlier mentioned 4-4-2 with farrows work better for me domestically

This is one of those cases where the quality of regens is very disappointing. I'd love to be able to build a team of players from my own youth system in a situation like this (obviously needing to get some money to improve the youth facilities though) and then hope you get the odd gem coming through, etc, etc.

Scouting in small nations is hopeless in FM08 though. I've managed in Wales and Iceland and in both cases your scout comes back 3 days after you send him out and has reported on maybe 3 or 4 players if you are lucky so you have to keep sending him back out yourself every 3-4 days. It would be much better to just send him out once and have him constantly sending you back scout reports on a wide variety of players.

The 4-4-2 worked spectacularly for me. Last time I checked I was 402 league games unbeaten, hadn't lost in any N. Irish domestic cup for about 15 seasons and had won the "All Ireland Cup" (Which I think is the Setanta Trophy, with the 4 Irish Clubs) 4 of the last 6 seasons. I get to the group stage of the Champs League every season now, and only barely lose to the big teams like AC Milan, Juve, Barce etc. Thats not solely down to my tactic, but I know it helps.

NepentheZ' Tactical Revolution

That thread describes in detail, and with much discussion how successful my tactic was. It has team instructions, individual player instructions and explains why they were successful. It may help you in your N. Irish career.

The 4-4-2 worked spectacularly for me. Last time I checked I was 402 league games unbeaten, hadn't lost in any N. Irish domestic cup for about 15 seasons and had won the "All Ireland Cup" (Which I think is the Setanta Trophy, with the 4 Irish Clubs) 4 of the last 6 seasons. I get to the group stage of the Champs League every season now, and only barely lose to the big teams like AC Milan, Juve, Barce etc. Thats not solely down to my tactic, but I know it helps.

NepentheZ' Tactical Revolution

That thread describes in detail, and with much discussion how successful my tactic was. It has team instructions, individual player instructions and explains why they were successful. It may help you in your N. Irish career.

NepentheZ, I read your thread last night and downloaded the tactic from the link provided.

It was late, after 11pm, had to wait until kids in bed etc. So didn't have any time to tinker with sliders etc but thought I would update you on initial thoughts.

Started a NEW game, with all leagues in Sco/Ire/Wal/N.Ire playable and medium database.

Choose Linfield again, I know their squad/players and I didn't have time to mess about.

Knew the draw for 1st qualifying round of the Champs Lg was imminent so quickly arranged a couple home friendlies against weak opposition to try and get teams confidence up.

1ST FRIENDLY - Ballymoney at home - 1-0 up under a minute, 2-0 in 3rd minute, 3-0 in 11minutes....eventually won 5-1. GREAT start, both strikers scored a double.

2ND FRIENDLY - Killeagh at home - Slaughtered them, final score 4-0, going on 14!!!

Champs Lg draw - Anorthosis, first leg in Cyprus.

1st LEG - Linfield were brillant, 2-1 we won over there, my first ever away win in Europe with the blues. Fingers crossed for the second leg.

2nd Leg - Nearly 9,000 in Windsor Park. I knew that even a 1-0 loss would be enough to put me through so fingers crossed. Straight away they make it 1-0. One more goal and I'm out!!! Just before half-time we equalise. 1-1 HALF TIME.

Second-half - Very open match, real end to end stuff then disaster they make it 2-1. Looks like its going to Extra time then with minutes to go 'Pistol Pete' equalises to put me through 4-3 on aggregate. My FIRST ever win over 2 legs in Europe with Linfield.

2nd round, 1st Leg - Dinamo NK (Croatia) at home - A crowd of over 10,000 this time, keep the same team/formation and away we go. They look a LOT better than Anorthosis, they are pounding me, 1-0 down and struggling, somehow I fluke an equaliser before the break. 1-1 half time. Score again just after kick-off, but they equalise almost straight away to make it 2-2, again with minutes to go Pistol Pete scores, 3-2 to the Blues. We hang on, unbelievable 3-2 to Linfield V Dinamo!!!!

It's nearly 1am, bedtime, second leg tonight.

:thup: - Glad to hear of your success thus far. Hopefully it brings you as much joy as it did me :D

Meant to add to earlier post that draw for 3rd Qualifying Round of Champs Lg has already been made, and that if I manage to hang on in Croatia my reward will be a tie against....................

AC MILAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for the tactic, as I said earlier I haven't tweaked anything at all yet, may try tonight if I get some time, although I'm winning so might just leave it alone for now.

I noticed that the board/club have banked about £400K from the two home Euro ties will I get any of that to spend you think as my present transfer budget is only £10K.

My dad does pretty well with bangor, he has never made it past the 1st qualifying round of the champions league though. You get a lot of money for even participating so it is all good.

Try downloading 'NepentheZ''s tactic, there's a link above to a thread where you can download it from.

I downloaded his tactic last night about 11pm, didn't tweak anything with it and won my first ever away tie in Europe 2-1, followed up by my first ever victory in Europe over two legs 4-3.

If I can hold on to a 3-2 first leg lead tonight in Croatia I will play AC Milan for a place in the group stages!!!

Even if I get humped I'll still drop into the UEFA Cup and only one game away from the group stages of that competition.

Try downloading 'NepentheZ''s tactic, there's a link above to a thread where you can download it from.

I downloaded his tactic last night about 11pm, didn't tweak anything with it and won my first ever away tie in Europe 2-1, followed up by my first ever victory in Europe over two legs 4-3.

If I can hold on to a 3-2 first leg lead tonight in Croatia I will play AC Milan for a place in the group stages!!!

Even if I get humped I'll still drop into the UEFA Cup and only one game away from the group stages of that competition.

TBH I prefer doing everything myself rather than using someone elses tactic.

I am using 442 however and just managed to sneak into the group stage of the champions league in second season in europe, got 3 mil for that now looking around the brazilian and argentinian under 21s, signed a couple of quality czech youngsters and awaiting permits for some real champions league quality from south america. Getting mauled in the group stages this season, but next season I should be able to hold my own with a bit of trawling thru the under 19s and 21s of a few teams

MY scouts still cant scout outside of uk but all the players I look at in under 19s and 21s have far better stats than ANY of my current players!!

TBH I prefer doing everything myself rather than using someone elses tactic.

Normally I do too but with only a few weeks until FM09 is out I've started one final save game and was struggling a bit so rather than spend time messing about I took a wee shortcut and to be honest I'm really enjoying it now, whereas before I downloaded the tactic last night I was getting nowhere and it was getting to the point where I was going to just turn it off and play something else for next few weeks instead.

2nd round, 1st Leg - Dinamo NK (Croatia) at home - A crowd of over 10,000 this time, keep the same team/formation and away we go. They look a LOT better than Anorthosis, they are pounding me, 1-0 down and struggling, somehow I fluke an equaliser before the break. 1-1 half time. Score again just after kick-off, but they equalise almost straight away to make it 2-2, again with minutes to go Pistol Pete scores, 3-2 to the Blues. We hang on, unbelievable 3-2 to Linfield V Dinamo!!!!

It's nearly 1am, bedtime, second leg tonight.

UPDATE...............

Champs Lg - 2nd Qual Rd,2nd Leg

Dinamo NK (Croa) v Linfield (N.Ire)

Linfield lead 3-2 from the first leg after a fantastic result in Belfast. Dinamo throw everything at me but against all the odds we go 1-0 just on the half-hour with a breakaway. Again Dinamo come at us, seconds until half-time still 1-0 to Linfield, Dinamo will need to score twice in the second half if we can hold hold until the break. DISASTER!!!! 45+1 on the clock and Dinamo, probably deservedley equalise.

HALF-TIME 1-1 (4-3) to Linfield on Agg

Second Half - After half time team talk we are playing a lot better and are right back in this match, knowing the prize for progressing is a tie against AC Milan and at worst a UEFA Cup slot. Plenty of chances for both sides, real end to end stuff. 15 minutes to go and still 1-1, can Linfield make it?

Dinamo get a free kick on the edge of the box, BANG! 2-1 to Dinamo, 4-4 on Agg but Dinamo are ahead on away goals rule. Just over 10mins to try and get a goal. We throw everything at them, leaving ourselves wide open at the back but to be honest we never really look like pulling one back.

FINAL WHISTLE - Dinamo 2 Linfield 1 (Agg 4-4) Dinamo win on away goals

We go down fighting, the ans and board are still delighted despite going out. £500K in the bank and the domestic season asn't even kicked off!!!

Thanks NepentheZ for the tactic!!

Archived