Key Player contract expiring, cant sell-clubs may sign for free ahh!!!!

Help

My key players contract expires a few months, he doesn't want to discuss a new contract yet, he hasn't said that he wants to move but i think he might move bigger club.

I am currently managing german 1st div club Jena, who are mid table. Basicly thisa key player is like my C Ronaldo.

My fear is i dont want other clubs to sign him for free, i want him either to stay, or i want cash for him, my avg transfer budget per season is £200,000 lol. The player is worth £900,000.

I cant wait for him start discussing, because nearer expire date it will be harder to sell him, more likely free transfer.

I'll be raging if he goes for free. Is it possible to sell a player who's contract is near expire or has expired???????????

if he doesn't want to sign either cut your losses and offer him out to other clubs (as opposed to transfer listing him) for less than 900K, or just offer him the highest possible (or most affordable) contract with maximum bonuses/sign on fee, even if it still says that he isn't currently interested. try the second option first, but don't expect much.

If his contract has less than 6 months left then other clubs can approach. I once had a similar situation and offered him to clubs as they were interested. They replied but directly offered him a contract and he agreed and so left for free at the end of the season.

I was in the same situation. I ended up offering him a contract anytime another club offered him one. He ended up rejecting all of us but I continually checked to see if he wanted to discuss a new contract. Finally he re-signed for me. Funny enough, it was Ashley (Cashly) Cole.

Your choices amount to this:

Transfer list him and start "offering to clubs", or keep him and hope that he stays.

i have offered to clubs, but not transfer listed. I'm scared that transfer lisitng him might expose to more clubs signing on free. Wot u think????????

If his contract has less than 6 months left then other clubs can approach. I once had a similar situation and offered him to clubs as they were interested. They replied but directly offered him a contract and he agreed and so left for free at the end of the season.

haha think this will happen.

if he doesnt want to sign a contract now he probably never will.

Depends, is the message "not interested in renewing currently" or "not willing to discuss a new contract now but may in future when all avenues have been explored"...?

From the OP it sounds like the latter and from my experience, if you have the guts to wait it out and risk him signing a pre-contract elsewhere, he'll often re-sign at or near the end of the season.

i have offered to clubs, but not transfer listed. I'm scared that transfer lisitng him might expose to more clubs signing on free. Wot u think????????

I don't think you specified whether there is more or less than 6 months remaining on his contract but if there are more than 6 months:

You're much more likely to get offers in for him if you place him on the transfer list. After a day or two any clubs that are interested will appear on his transfer screen and he will have a WNT icon next to his name. Then offer to clubs and you will likely get responses from those clubs. It's about trying to get the maximum you can for him now I'm afraid.

If you do get an acceptable offer, and you accept it but you'd still really like to keep him, try offering him a contract. There's three possible outcomes here, (1) he signs for the other club but you get paid (2) he signs your contract and stays (3) he rejects both and it's as you were.

If there are less than 6 months left, you are in a precarious position as any club could come in any day with a contract offer which he could accept and he'll be gone on a Bosman at the end of the season.

If the transfer window is open, there is a good chance you could cash in now by doing what I said above (transfer list, offer to clubs). If the window has closed, no one is going to buy him when they can just sign him on a Bosman so you're only hope is to get him to sign a new contract.

For future reference, in every close season I check all my players contracts to see who has one year left. If I want to keep them I will offer contract extensions at this stage. If there is a player who does not want to sign, alarm bells start going off and basically I start looking for a replacement and I will look to sell him in Jan and bring someone else in. In my current save (40 odd seasons in) I have only ever lost one player on a Bosman that I did not want to leave.

I have this problem most seasons with my team in Isreal. I have found 4 things usually happen.

1) The player signs for a huge contract stating his love for the club was the reason (normally only happens when you and the club are listed as favourites).

2) I wait and he signs when nobody else shows an interest.

3) He signs a pre-contract deal and leaves

4) I get fed up waiting for him and sign a replacement, he then gets free transfered.

Usually the AI just waits for his contract to run down so they don't have to pay money for them. Have yet to receive money for a player who refuses to sign a contract.

Your best option is to offer a contract with everything maxed out, ie full Appearance bonus, full goals, 25% wage increase. If they have you as a favourite and the club as a favourite they usually sign. Its normally worth the cost if the player is as important as you say he is.

Depends, is the message "not interested in renewing currently" or "not willing to discuss a new contract now but may in future when all avenues have been explored"...?

From the OP it sounds like the latter and from my experience, if you have the guts to wait it out and risk him signing a pre-contract elsewhere, he'll often re-sign at or near the end of the season.

its the 2nd one - "not willing to discuss a new contract now but may in future when all avenues have been explored"...?

also its about 4 months remaining on contract, in the game its February now.

oh just ot let you know, it was 2 key players, one of them finally accepted a contracted, which consisted of the full clauses/bonuses etc like release fees, appearance fee, goal bonus-all top lol.

So one player down, one to go.

Archived