Team Talks

Personally i always go with 'for the fans' pre-match and if winning by 1 or 2 goals away from home, go with 'pleased' and at home 'don't let your performance drop'.

If drawing i normally 'encourage' or say 'you can win this'

If losing in a game i should be winning i normally 'question the passion' or say 'you can do better'

I also use a few of individual player team talks as well.

I tend to always go with 'You can win this one today' pre match with 'I expect you to win' if I know I am clear favourites or my team has been playing poorly for a couple of games beforehand.

At half time and I am winning comfortably and always use 'I don't expect your performance to drop'. If it is close or I am drawing I use 'you can win this' or 'do not get complacent'.

If I am losing i always tend to go for 'I expect better after half time'.

Most of the time they work for me.

I read Wolfsongs, and internalized some of the lessons from it .. but I don't refer to it when looking at specific situations; I "go by my gut".

That didn't work until I'd used Wolfsongs to calibrate my gut, though!

I always start the game with "for the fans", if i'm winning 1-0 at half time I use "encourage", if 2-0 or above I use "pleased" (delighted if away from home). If i'm losing at half time 1-0 I use "encourage", 2-0 disappointed and anything worse I use "angry". I never take any notice of morale just the match performance.

I read Wolfsongs, and internalized some of the lessons from it .. but I don't refer to it when looking at specific situations; I "go by my gut".

That didn't work until I'd used Wolfsongs to calibrate my gut, though!

^WHS (although he said it much better!)

It's worth the read to point you in the right direction.

Archived