Take a team from L2 to Prem... not a legend or an icon... just favoured personall?

So I spent 8 seasons with Northampton Town - taking them to the unimaginable heights of the Prem. Now I'm in Spain with Villareal (via Milan) and I take a look at how Northampton are doing... take a look at their info screen and there I am... in favoured personnel.

Ian Sampson is there as a legend... fair enough the guy played like 500 games for them... but I managed for 500 games and took them from struggling in L2 to a Premiership force challenging for trophies, a stadium and fanbase 3 times the size of when I started. The finances are all in order - under budget - with young players on long contracts and great potential.

And I'm just "favoured personnel".

God damn...!!!!

I'm pretty sure unless you see your contract out, then leave the club for another, most of the time you don't stay as legend, sometimes not even on the favoured personnel list. Though I could be wrong. Did you apply for Villareal job while still under contract with Northampton Town by any chance?

The not staying legend thing was a bug from a previous version, I believe it's not been in Fm2012 at all and seemed fixed in an FM2011 patch.

Anyway, it might seem illogical, and it does seem like sometimes the size of the club isn't always taken into account too well for legend status, however personally I would rather it be very difficult to get such a status rather than everyone who does well for a few seasons ending up with it. It's safer to vie on the it being bloody hard to get territory.

It could use tuning though. For example, it's extremely difficult to get a goalkeeper legend status in my experience, and some strikers can have amazing scoring records, yet never make it to icon, while a rotation player who served half as long, and had half as good a scoring record somehow makes it to icon and eventually legend, seemingly the only thing he had over the other was a higher reputation and CA.

Ive taken Peterborough United to the prem, and even after winning our 1st prem trophey (after 5 years in mid-table followed by 3 i nthe top 6 and then another 2 in the top 4) and the champions league, Im still only a favoured personel, ive had players for 3 or 4 season that have done just 'ok' but are icons.

I am in my 6th season at West Ham and have managed to get on their legends list after winning 2 EPL titles and 1 champions league.

Could it have something to do with interacting with your players, like praising them for having good games etc. I say this because i now have a very good young squad at West Ham and i have not bought a player(except 15 & 16 yo) in 2 yrs so my squad is almost maxed out with 'squad harmony' and have noticed that the 4 players on the legends and icon lists are the players i interactive with very regular so maybe this has an influence on the list>??

Just a thought.....

On FM 10 I found it very difficult to get to legend even when I got Newport from BSS to prem and winning multiple trophies only ever got me to icon. On FM 12 on my current save though I have taken Newport from BSP to Prem, just finished my first season there but got made a legend upon promotion to the championship!

Having won a few League titles and league cups, it was only after winning the FA Cup did I become legend, and I had even won the Champions League before that. Ungrateful board still named new stadium after a manager that won only one league title

I've won three times the trophies that "legend" Mourinho won at Inter and I'm still just favoured personnel. This part of the game's always been broken.

Well two managers achieved icon at my truro club after I left, despite systematically destroying the squad and coasting by to winning a few trophies based upon the backs of what was left of my squad. All of which being kepy to ridiculous ages, including my goalkeeper until he was 38 and barely championship standard.

I'm just glad they didnt get legend and they named the stadium after my one after a legendary striker of the past rather than some half-baked more recent manager.

This annoyed me too. I eventually became a legend of the club, turning Q.P.R into the dominat force in football having won 60 trophies in 30 years. But since resigning from my role, i've been demoted to icon within 3 years of being away from the club. I was hoping they would name their new stadium after me but they renamed it after Leigh Griffiths for a second time. Now the club is worth 2Billion. I deserved better.

Archived