How to overcome the effects of large squad changes in pre-season?

i try to keep to a strict policy when buying/selling players now. I try not to buy more than 3 players who would be considered rotational/first teamers, in a season. I'll then look to buy no more than 2 youngsters.

This stops what used to happen in previous games of CM/FM were i would stock pile loads of slightly above average players just because they were cheap and relatively good.

This also means that there is not a huge exodus of players, either.

I used to buy 6/7/8 players every season and i felt it just wasn't realistic. now, with my strict policy, by purchases are more likely to be quality players who will improve the team, rather than just bulking out my team with cheap, average players.

i guess, for your question, you should slowly introduce your new players to the team. try and keep a solid foundation of players that always play and bring your new players in every now and then until you feel they gel.

i've bought 20mill pound players (last one was shakiri) before and taken 4-5 months before i risk playing them regularly. letting him train and get a feel for my tactics,other players and the english game, first.

~Cheers.

I'm playing as Spurs, and as in real life, there is quite an exodus of players going on. The squad needs revolving. So I plan to do a big change now, and then slowly add new players in after that. i'm not a fan of wholesale change either, but in this case it's imperative. Are there any practical ways of making the change more seemless? Such as playing more defensively o begin with etc?

As above, I think simply playing quite a few freindlies with you're new squad will help them to gel, and it shouldn't be long before they are a well oiled machine.

Most changes I've had in a single year is 8 out and 19 in (11 Youth Players) at Barcelona in 2061. Played about 10 friendlies, and the team hit the ground running, no problem whatsoever.

Nothing wrong with it. At Charlton we had about 19 in 20 out or something last year and we smashed the league. Pretty sure its an even more ridiculous amount of changes over the last 2 or 3 years.

Reasoning for our success seems to fall on;

- The way Sir Chrissy Powell has sold his idea of progress to convince the players to join

- Targeting players who are determined and have a good work ethnic

So if your making alot of changes (which would suggest you have some sort of plan for the future) you may find targeting players with higher determination and work/teamwork attributes will do you better

In my first season at Bury, we finished 19th. During the close season, I sold all but three players, brought in an entirely new backroom staff, and in the following season we finished 8th. I did nothing special to "gel" the team. We just did better because we had better players. I pay little attention to stuff like that.

Not to mention the fact every team will "forget" how to function even when you haven't bought a single player and/or none of the new players is a starter.

Just play a lot of friendlies to build up the fitness, set the Preparation Focus on High in pre-season and you'll be fine

Archived