1: Copy my user files onto the desktop

2: Delete all other Library/Application Support files

3: Send Steam to trash

4: Reinstall Steam from Steam website download

5: Edit the registry as in post # 24

6: Paste user files into Library/Application Support

7: Start Steam (which fully updated)

8: Reinstall FM

Might we worth looking at Console to see which errors you are getting when Steam tries to update. I was getting a total fail. However, sometimes it simply fails to download a few files, which you can add manually.

Must have done it wrong (I didn't copy and paste the user files etc because I don't know how to and does that make a difference?) and then it didn't even begging to update then suddenly it did update (this times with 49k not 40?) then failed on 14, 580 again. This is pathetic ffs!

Plus when I deleted the Steam file it did nothing and so I downloaded Steam from their website but it made no difference, thus I didn't re-instal FM, it just comes back again once I click on FM? I despair now, I really do, just ****ing work! Shouldn't have got to this point in the first place!

go to:

/Users/$yourusername/Library/Application Support/Steam/ and locate registry.vdf

The variable you need to set is Registry / HKCU / Software / Valve / Steam / Offline, which you set to "0".

there's also a config.vdf in the config folder, if you get errors after doing the above try with setting the firsttimerun to 0 in that config.vdf file.

Absolutely nothing was working when my one screwed up (and on too many occasions it screws up btw, Steam's grasp on macs is poor) so I ripped it all out, couple of reboots and full re-install. Crashed with the usual needs to be online error a couple of times but evenutally got through and installed. Just a small matter of re-populating all my games now

If none of the above has worked, then you'll have to contact Steam. I've run out of ideas.

On a side note, I'm not impressed with the Mac coding on Steam. It's basically a Windows port, which explains why things don't work as well as they should.

the only thing I didn't try is uninstall/install steam because I've read that several people uninstalled/installed steam but the problem still exists and nothing changed. Time is passing all these days I just want to play my game and continue my career nothing more!

If none of the above has worked, then you'll have to contact Steam. I've run out of ideas.

On a side note, I'm not impressed with the Mac coding on Steam. It's basically a Windows port, which explains why things don't work as well as they should.

yep it's p*** poor, laughable really.

rossonero11 I had this last week and after attempting all the registry stuff I completely uninstalled and re-installed. It failed the first couple of times with wanting to be online but eventually worked after around 20mins of trying to install. Of course I then had to re-download FM (not sure if you can simply back them up before you uninstall and place back in the new steam folders instead of downloading, will probably be some related file somewhere i'd miss)

Originally Posted by wwfan

rossonero11 I had this last week and after attempting all the registry stuff I completely uninstalled and re-installed. It failed the first couple of times with wanting to be online but eventually worked after around 20mins of trying to install. Of course I then had to re-download FM (not sure if you can simply back them up before you uninstall and place back in the new steam folders instead of downloading, will probably be some related file somewhere i'd miss)

Originally Posted by wwfan

elgreenio: thank you for trying to help me out. You did the same as others who didn't uninstall the game but they just kept trying to update for 100s times untill one of their tries fininshes the update succesfully without deleting/editing/uninstalling any file, they just kept re-updating! I'm not sure if this is a logic/efficient way to do it though and to be honest, I don't have that luxury time to keep doing this as i can only play my game in the weekends.

has anyone got a final solution other than what was posted here (thank to everyone though)? can anyone help me out? i really need to play the weekend just started...

Archived