Players changing nationality

I thought it would be interesting to start a thread on players in your game who have ended up playing for a different country to their birth.

In my current game Ravel Morrison has ended up representing the Republic of Ireland! He was released from Man United in the first season, joined Bohemians playing there for several seasons and then ended up gaining Irish nationality and getting called up to the Republic.

In previous versions Almunia has played for England on my game although I expect that is quite a common one.

Sandro also played for England on my FM11 file. He never get called up to Brazil while at Tottenham and ended up getting 40 odd caps for England.

I also recall Marc Crosas eventually getting a Scotland call up back when he was at Celtic.

Who else has had this happen?

I select one of the Candian clubs from MLS and stockpile the national team with foreign signings. Even poach a few Brazilians from the U20 squad and hope that they aren't called up to the senior squad before their 5 years are up. Last year had my best signing, Seba, a Brazilian striker that I paid $6million for. After 5 years he took up playing for Canada and averaged about a goal per game for them. At one point, I think the national squad had 6 starters playing for it that were all foreign signings from Argentina, Brazil and Italy, with 3 or 4 more on the squad in rotational roles. Had to slap outrageous pricetags on them to ward off interest long enough for them to gain Canadian eligibility.

@looknohands - That seems to be a clever way of helping develop a national team that isn't as strong. Signing young South American players and hoping they don't get called up. I've thought the same with some of the young players I've signed whether I could poach them for the national team when they get to 21/22.

I thought it would be interesting to start a thread on players in your game who have ended up playing for a different country to their birth.

In my current game Ravel Morrison has ended up representing the Republic of Ireland! He was released from Man United in the first season, joined Bohemians playing there for several seasons and then ended up gaining Irish nationality and getting called up to the Republic.

In previous versions Almunia has played for England on my game although I expect that is quite a common one.

Sandro also played for England on my FM11 file. He never get called up to Brazil while at Tottenham and ended up getting 40 odd caps for England.

I also recall Marc Crosas eventually getting a Scotland call up back when he was at Celtic.

Who else has had this happen?

how was Morrison able to pick up Irish nationality when I thought British players didn't pick up other nationalities, at least that's what I was told in a thread when I was trying to see if English players playing for Cardiff & Swansea would get Welsh nationalty

Ireland isn't a part of the uk, whilst wales is a part of the uk. The republic of Ireland is a different nation whilst in effect, wales and England are the same nation (at least in terms of citizenship, there is no difference as both are British)

I select one of the Candian clubs from MLS and stockpile the national team with foreign signings. Even poach a few Brazilians from the U20 squad and hope that they aren't called up to the senior squad before their 5 years are up. Last year had my best signing, Seba, a Brazilian striker that I paid $6million for. After 5 years he took up playing for Canada and averaged about a goal per game for them. At one point, I think the national squad had 6 starters playing for it that were all foreign signings from Argentina, Brazil and Italy, with 3 or 4 more on the squad in rotational roles. Had to slap outrageous pricetags on them to ward off interest long enough for them to gain Canadian eligibility.

Shoot I've been doing that too. I've stolen a couple of talented regens and gotten them to play for england like that in the past.

How much success did you have with them?

I signed a centre half called lider marmol. He was based in Argentina, had 2 caps for USA and had Spanish and Paraguayan as other nationalities. About a month after I signed him a had a message saying he had been called up to the Paraguay squad although he had already played twice for America. I didn't know this but as his 2 caps were from friendlies, he could still play for Paraguay if he was called upon. This got me thinking, if you had several nationalities, could you keep swapping alliegences and play for many different countries just for friendlies?

On FM10 I had a turkish winger getting called up for, and capped over 50 times for Italy. I signed him while being in Serie C, so Turkey didnt call him up while they had the chance. He made his debut for me when he was 17, so was quite young when he got his first call up.

Shoot I've been doing that too. I've stolen a couple of talented regens and gotten them to play for england like that in the past.

How much success did you have with them?

In FM11, my collection of foreigners playing for Canada was: Daniele Conti (Italy), Araujo (Brazil), Leumir (Brazil- and still a freebie in FM12), Carlos Andre (Brazil- still a freebie), Wellington (Brazil) David Santos (US newgen), Seba (Brazil- 10 goals in 12 games for Canada), and Henrique (Brazil), with several others in line to play for Canada. Last season was 2018, and Canada had moved up to 33rd in the world!

I signed a centre half called lider marmol. He was based in Argentina, had 2 caps for USA and had Spanish and Paraguayan as other nationalities. About a month after I signed him a had a message saying he had been called up to the Paraguay squad although he had already played twice for America. I didn't know this but as his 2 caps were from friendlies, he could still play for Paraguay if he was called upon. This got me thinking, if you had several nationalities, could you keep swapping alliegences and play for many different countries just for friendlies?

Data bug. Marmol isn't even elligible for the US, and only made 2 appearances in MLS (and not the national team.) Noticed that he was being called into the US squad in my game, too. I'll be sure to mention it in the Data forum.

Archived