Discipline

Yeah, I always make sure I warn my players if they get red carded - even if it's a goal-saving cynical foul, which I privately am happy that they do if it saves points :D. I've never had problems with players missing training, oddly enough - not once in the fifteen years of my current save. If a player gets a second red card in a season, I'm prepared to fine him, he will complain, but it really doesn't happen often if ever. Even red cards rarely happen in my team.

Yeah, I always make sure I warn my players if they get red carded - even if it's a goal-saving cynical foul, which I privately am happy that they do if it saves points :D. I've never had problems with players missing training, oddly enough - not once in the fifteen years of my current save. If a player gets a second red card in a season, I'm prepared to fine him, he will complain, but it really doesn't happen often if ever. Even red cards rarely happen in my team.

My star forward has been straight red carded 3 times before Christmas for two footed lunges in pointless positions on the pitch. He's told not to tackle hard, only has an aggression rating of 12 (down from 13 after repeated fines), but every time he's on the pitch it's like watching a ticking time bomb. He never complains about the fine, but doesn't seem to learn from it either.

My star forward has been straight red carded 3 times before Christmas for two footed lunges in pointless positions on the pitch. He's told not to tackle hard, only has an aggression rating of 12 (down from 13 after repeated fines), but every time he's on the pitch it's like watching a ticking time bomb. He never complains about the fine, but doesn't seem to learn from it either.

Thats funny. Maybe he just plays football to hurt people. Consider him your Michael Brown.

Was it Balotelli? I played a short-lived save as Man City on FM11 and Balotelli got sent off in 3 of his first 5 appearances of the season. 2 of them were for viscous lunges in inoccuous areas of the pitch.

• 7 months later...

I would suggest that the stats of your backroom staff also has some influence on the discipline of your squad - both on and off the pitch.

In the beginning of my third season in charge of Cagliari I was having lots of disciplinary problems; players were getting scores of yellow and red cards, reserves were complaining and lodging transfer requests, the motivation widget constantly showed players "looking ill-disciplined" or "in danger of losing discipline". This lack of discipline both in the dressing room and on the field was contributing the the worst start to the season that I'd had in years.

Of course I handed down heavy fines on players that got themselves sent off, I told the media that my players' tackles was a disgrace, that some of their challenges bordered on the stupid, and I let some of the most regular offenders rot on the bench for 4-5 games after getting red carded. It didn't really work.

After a while I started to consider if this had anything to do with my new assistant manager Jair Ventura, as his Level of Discipline stat was only 3. First I scowered the staff market and found a real sergent major type coach with Level of Discipline at 20 who I employed as a 1st team coach and set him to coach in all categories. Then suddenly another ass man that I had been stalking for a few years suddenly became available (he left his post at Udinese when Guidolin got fired), so I fired Ventura and hired the new guy. His stat was only 10, but it was still better than his predecessor's.

Suddenly things started looking up. In two months I've hardly had a yellow card, and two backup players that earlier had handed in transfer requests changed their minds and wanted to stay, something which happened only after a matter of days.

There could of course be some other factors at work here too, that I haven't yet understood. But the dramatic change in the team's attitude (and performances!) after a simple change of personell in the backroom staff was so conspicuous that I doubt it could be pure coincidence.

I would guess that it has something to do with some hidden attributes, especially Sportsmanship, Temperament and Controversy.

I would suggest that the stats of your backroom staff also has some influence on the discipline of your squad - both on and off the pitch.

In the beginning of my third season in charge of Cagliari I was having lots of disciplinary problems; players were getting scores of yellow and red cards, reserves were complaining and lodging transfer requests, the motivation widget constantly showed players "looking ill-disciplined" or "in danger of losing discipline". This lack of discipline both in the dressing room and on the field was contributing the the worst start to the season that I'd had in years.

Of course I handed down heavy fines on players that got themselves sent off, I told the media that my players' tackles was a disgrace, that some of their challenges bordered on the stupid, and I let some of the most regular offenders rot on the bench for 4-5 games after getting red carded. It didn't really work.

After a while I started to consider if this had anything to do with my new assistant manager Jair Ventura, as his Level of Discipline stat was only 3. First I scowered the staff market and found a real sergent major type coach with Level of Discipline at 20 who I employed as a 1st team coach and set him to coach in all categories. Then suddenly another ass man that I had been stalking for a few years suddenly became available (he left his post at Udinese when Guidolin got fired), so I fired Ventura and hired the new guy. His stat was only 10, but it was still better than his predecessor's.

Suddenly things started looking up. In two months I've hardly had a yellow card, and two backup players that earlier had handed in transfer requests changed their minds and wanted to stay, something which happened only after a matter of days.

There could of course be some other factors at work here too, that I haven't yet understood. But the dramatic change in the team's attitude (and performances!) after a simple change of personell in the backroom staff was so conspicuous that I doubt it could be pure coincidence.

Do you leave Opposition Instructions to your Assman?

I would guess that it has something to do with some hidden attributes, especially Sportsmanship, Temperament and Controversy.

A high level of "Dirtiness" wouldn't help either.

If my player gets a straight red, it's a one week fine. No matter what. Two yellows is a warning. If a player of mine were to ever miss training (not happend in this save yet five seasons in) it would be a two week fine. I follow this strictly without exception. No players of mine ever complain to me that i'm too light with them.

Archived