would you play two Trequartistas upfront together?

i've got two strikers in my Liverpool squad that my coaches say play best as Trequartistas. i'm keen to play them both at the same time in a 442 formation but i'm wondering whether its acceptable to play them both as trequartistas. i believe that Role means they will be moving all over the place and it would perhaps be better to have another type of striker like a targetman or an advanced forward to complement the trequartista play.

what do you think?

Well in attacking play you'll have a very fluid front line, but consider the defensive aspect. By default, a trequartista will not close down, and having two of them means you only have 8 players contributing to the defense. Just something to think about.

You can handle the defensive weakness by increasing their Closing Down manually (which I always do for treqs anyway), but I would still say no because you're going to want a forward player actively trying to get into the box to score goals whereas a treq is generally going to be falling back and looking for space (since they are intended more as playmakers than goalscorers).

Now, in the real world, you have teams like Barca who use a central treq-style player with wide forwards, and you would model that in FM by having a forward treq and two inside forwards on the flanks... but generally, I've found that this does not work very well in FM and usually a 4-3-1-2 with two strikers and an AMC treq does a better job of reflecting this style. I have not tried two forward treqs with an AMC set to operate as the main goalscorer, so you could try that but as with a Barca-style "433"/"442 Diamond", I suspect you will have difficulty getting the AMC to really operate as a "false ten" since they will not be trying to constantly break the defensive line as a center forward would.

I'd not use 2 trequaristas, I'd use one upfront and one behind for really fluid moves to find gaps.. but next to each other they might drift around too much and leave you with nobody in the box at a crucial time.

2 advanced forwards is really food though.

Archived