Help - transferred save game to new laptop

If that fails.

I recommend installing Dropbox on your old and new computer.

When you do so - make sure you're connected to the internet (obv. :p)

On the old laptop - save the file to the Dropbox folder in "My Documents"

On the new laptop - it will update automatically into the new computer.

You can then play the game from there as it's now on your new computer automatically.

Dropbox website is here https://www.dropbox.com/

If you're feeling generous you can use the referral below. This referral is from me to anyone who wants to install Dropbox. When I refer someone to use drop box it increases my Dropbox space usage. You can do the same by referring someone else to use it.

<snip>

Using dropbox to save games is great. As it saves it to your computer and makes an online backup. So if your game ever crashes and won't load up again, you can go into the archive on the Dropbox website and retrieve a working version.

Cool. No problem.

Also, keep an eye on the size of your dropbox. You should get a warning when reach it's limit. I haven't yet and it's been a while since I cleared it out.

Any time you install dropbox under your username on any computer, your files will be made available to you when it updates all the files.

It's so handy. No more discs. No more hassle.

Any file hosting website is good for storing saved games and i'd always suggest people do this on long term saves.

I use Mediafire (completely free) and I back up / upload my savegame file there at the end of every season as had a nasty experience back on FM2007 where my savegame file became corrupted and i didn't have a back up file to revert to. 5 seasons of hard work down the toilet.

Mediafire is good. But you have to manually upload the save game. With the likes of Dropbox or SugarSync (which I also use) you get a folder on your computer. Simply saving your file to the folder uploads it to your folder on cloud service where it's hosted. It's then made available on any computer you have these stored on. It's truly great.

Drop box or sugar sync won't suit people who have Bandwidth Limitations though! Or an Upload or Download limit.

So if you're limited by your internet package I suggest as Dave Byrd recommends. You get more control over when you upload and/or download your file.

Definitely having an online backup, no matter what you use, is definitely worth it.

I didnt think you needed to worry about transferring anything over to a new computer/laptop.

I thought aslong as you signed into your steam account you could just redownload FM12 and it would be there. That's how I did it when I went from my laptop to my desktop computer

I didnt think you needed to worry about transferring anything over to a new computer/laptop.

I thought aslong as you signed into your steam account you could just redownload FM12 and it would be there. That's how I did it when I went from my laptop to my desktop computer

Your save is on your PC, not Steam.

If you want to take your save to a different machine you need to move it yourself.

If that fails.

I recommend installing Dropbox on your old and new computer.

When you do so - make sure you're connected to the internet (obv. :p)

On the old laptop - save the file to the Dropbox folder in "My Documents"

On the new laptop - it will update automatically into the new computer.

You can then play the game from there as it's now on your new computer automatically.

Dropbox website is here https://www.dropbox.com/

If you're feeling generous you can use the referral below. This referral is from me to anyone who wants to install Dropbox. When I refer someone to use drop box it increases my Dropbox space usage. You can do the same by referring someone else to use it.

<snip>

Using dropbox to save games is great. As it saves it to your computer and makes an online backup. So if your game ever crashes and won't load up again, you can go into the archive on the Dropbox website and retrieve a working version.

Once you have opened it via the dropbox, you can just create a new save on your new laptop.

Once you have opened it via the dropbox, you can just create a new save on your new laptop.

You don't have to. It will already be on your laptop. You're not opening it from the file on the internet or cloud. It downloads to your computer.

Every time you save the file in your Dropbox folder it will update onto the website, and syncs it to any other computer with Dropbox installed with your account, where it downloads it.

So when I save my file. It uploads to Dropbox website. And my other computer (right beside me) will download the file automatically.

The only reason to save to another location is if you do not want the file to be always uploaded/downloaded to other computers with your dropbox.

Archived