Football manager 2011 attributes

How do you mean they can't be counted on a one to one basis? But say you have two defenders who are brilliant at everything they do defensively and they are about the same quality. Wouldn't you rather have the one who has maybe slightly better attributes in an attacking sense as well? For example if he is a full back. I'm not saying if i added them up i would just buy that player who had the best overall rating but by doing that you can compare where a player is better than the other.

How do you mean they can't be counted on a one to one basis? But say you have two defenders who are brilliant at everything they do defensively and they are about the same quality. Wouldn't you rather have the one who has maybe slightly better attributes in an attacking sense as well? For example if he is a full back. I'm not saying if i added them up i would just buy that player who had the best overall rating but by doing that you can compare where a player is better than the other.

what i mean is not all attributes can be counted up as you see them, again using the tackling example, after a certain number each additional number can be worth more than just 1 point if you will, so someone with tackling 15 will require more than 1 point to make this 16, so when your adding them up it wont really tie in, not unless you find out the exact weightings for each attribute for each position. Your talking about two different positions, again full backs attributes will be weighted differently to that of a centre half, because as you say you would want slightly more in the attacking attributes, where as for a centre half, having dribbling, crossing, finishing ect is almost pointless.

the best way to compare players is in game with the scouting option, adding attributes up will not really give you a good picture of the players you are comparing, even comparing the hidden CA/PA numbers will not give you the full picture.

what i mean is not all attributes can be counted up as you see them, again using the tackling example, after a certain number each additional number can be worth more than just 1 point if you will, so someone with tackling 15 will require more than 1 point to make this 16, so when your adding them up it wont really tie in, not unless you find out the exact weightings for each attribute for each position. Your talking about two different positions, again full backs attributes will be weighted differently to that of a centre half, because as you say you would want slightly more in the attacking attributes, where as for a centre half, having dribbling, crossing, finishing ect is almost pointless.

the best way to compare players is in game with the scouting option, adding attributes up will not really give you a good picture of the players you are comparing, even comparing the hidden CA/PA numbers will not give you the full picture.

I dont get what you mean by "after a certain number each additional number can be worth more than just 1 point if you will, so someone with tackling 15 will require more than 1 point to make this 16" and "exact weightings".They can be added up though. I was only referring to full backs to be honest. But i would rather have the full back who has better finishing even if his other defensive attributes are the same as someone elses because little things like that can make the difference in games. But with the scouting option how would this show someone being better than someone else? I don't understand how to find out who are the best players because when you find a player and narrow down the search saying their attributes have to be a certain number its difficult. Say you put all the relevant atttibutes that are important to that position to "more than 10" sometimes nothing comes up. Its impossible to do it this way because one player might have say a tackling attribute of 9 and say a heading attribute of 15 and he wouldn't come up because of the 9. However another player with a tacking rating of 10 and a heading rating of 10 would come up even though you would maybe want the other one.

I dont get what you mean by "after a certain number each additional number can be worth more than just 1 point if you will, so someone with tackling 15 will require more than 1 point to make this 16" and "exact weightings".They can be added up though. I was only referring to full backs to be honest. But i would rather have the full back who has better finishing even if his other defensive attributes are the same as someone elses because little things like that can make the difference in games. But with the scouting option how would this show someone being better than someone else? I don't understand how to find out who are the best players because when you find a player and narrow down the search saying their attributes have to be a certain number its difficult. Say you put all the relevant atttibutes that are important to that position to "more than 10" sometimes nothing comes up. Its impossible to do it this way because one player might have say a tackling attribute of 9 and say a heading attribute of 15 and he wouldn't come up because of the 9. However another player with a tacking rating of 10 and a heading rating of 10 would come up even though you would maybe want the other one.

well the difference between taclking 1-2 and 15-16 is not the same for defenders, its not a 1-1 change, i dont know the full weights of the attributes but for arguments sake it could be that a change of 15-16 tackling for a centre half could be worth 2 points where as a change of 1-2 could be worth 1 point, if you get what i mean. Adding up the attributes to give you a number will do no good at all, it will paint a very false picture, you have to look at the combination of attributes. An example would be your scouting for a centre half you find one with tackling, heading, and marking at 20 but decisions positioning and stregnth are 10, so based on what your proposing you would add him up to 90, but you find another who only has 15 for tackling heading and marking, but also has 15 for decisions, positioning and strength, again he adds up to 90, but the second will be a much better player because of the combination of his attributes, based on your number idea both would be identical.

You do know when your searching for a player you can ask it to filter by like you are suggesting having all attributes you want at a number 10, you can then set it to give you all players that have 4 out of 5 of these attributes, or 1 out of 5 or however many you want based on the number of attribute filters. You can them compare two players side by side in the scouting section which will give you a much better idea of how they fair up against each other.

haha that would still take ages. Because then i can see who are the best all round players.

attribute are not uniform across the playing positions. For example same attribute for the striker and fullback have different weightage.

moreover, not all attribute needs to be high. like eccentricity.

Basically the numbers don't just 'add up'...

Milner has it right just think it's not simplifying it...

Think about different positions... obviously different positions have different needs for attributes, but beyond that different roles for a positions.

So while a defender with a 12 tackle is low for higher level leagues, for a midfielder it's not bad... Now for a ball winning midfielder you'd like it higher but for an attacking playmaker or inside forward its less important.

You can't just add stuff up. you need to look at what you want a particular player doing and see if his attributes match those needs.

Ah i see. Yeah but even if you set it to 4 out of 5 of these attibutes. it won't include players that only have 3 out of those 5 attibutes but make up for it with other better other attributes. The thing is there are so many players to compare. I wish i just knew the best 11 players for each specific position based on their attributes alone...

Ah i see. Yeah but even if you set it to 4 out of 5 of these attibutes. it won't include players that only have 3 out of those 5 attibutes but make up for it with other better other attributes. The thing is there are so many players to compare. I wish i just knew the best 11 players for each specific position based on their attributes alone...

go to the assitant manager. It have a team report section. their you can know about the best first and young team of yours in the selected formation of yours.

If you want to know the second best player in any position, pick up the best player, go to his report. any coach with PP>10 will tell you who the next best player is in that position

Basically the numbers don't just 'add up'...

Milner has it right just think it's not simplifying it...

Think about different positions... obviously different positions have different needs for attributes, but beyond that different roles for a positions.

So while a defender with a 12 tackle is low for higher level leagues, for a midfielder it's not bad... Now for a ball winning midfielder you'd like it higher but for an attacking playmaker or inside forward its less important.

You can't just add stuff up. you need to look at what you want a particular player doing and see if his attributes match those needs.

yeah i was struggling to get that out in an undestandable way, cheers for making it simpler!!

well then set it to 3, and if your really anal about the attributes filter out 10/12 attributes until you find what your looking for.

The thing is as well, the shown attributes alone still dont paint the full picture, you have to look deeper.

go to the assitant manager. It have a team report section. their you can know about the best first and young team of yours in the selected formation of yours.

If you want to know the second best player in any position, pick up the best player, go to his report. any coach with PP>10 will tell you who the next best player is in that position

I mean the best 11 players to buy. The best eleven on the game based on their attributes. The best keeper, the best left back, the best two centre backs, the best right back, left midfielder, right mildfielder, holding midfielder, centre midfielder and best two strikers.

well then set it to 3, and if your really anal about the attributes filter out 10/12 attributes until you find what your looking for.

The thing is as well, the shown attributes alone still dont paint the full picture, you have to look deeper.

Ok thanks. Thanks everyone. but what other things should i take into consideration apart from attributes?

I mean the best 11 players to buy. The best eleven on the game based on their attributes. The best keeper, the best left back, the best two centre backs, the best right back, left midfielder, right mildfielder, holding midfielder, centre midfielder and best two strikers.

best at what tho, remember you dont just half centre halfs, you have stoppers, sweepers, covering centre backs and ball playing centre backs, all of which will require slighly different attributes to be good in the role you are given them. same goes for most of the postions in the game, the trick is finding the best players to suit the system you want to play, not finding the best players and trying to find a system that will make them successful. Think about comparing Pique, Vidic and Terry, who is the best? They are prob quite equal, but they each play different centre back roles for their respective clubs, which kind of player would you prefer?

Short of that if you really want to know who the best players (CA/PA wise), then you can look in the good players/team forum, lots of good tips in there, or you can use 3rd party tools like genie scout of FMRTE.

best at what tho, remember you dont just half centre halfs, you have stoppers, sweepers, covering centre backs and ball playing centre backs, all of which will require slighly different attributes to be good in the role you are given them. same goes for most of the postions in the game, the trick is finding the best players to suit the system you want to play, not finding the best players and trying to find a system that will make them successful. Think about comparing Pique, Vidic and Terry, who is the best? They are prob quite equal, but they each play different centre back roles for their respective clubs, which kind of player would you prefer?

Short of that if you really want to know who the best players (CA/PA wise), then you can look in the good players/team forum, lots of good tips in there, or you can use 3rd party tools like genie scout of FMRTE.

Yeah true. Well i support Liverpool and i normally be them. I normally end up playing a 4-1-3-1-1 with Gerrard in the hole behind Suerez, with maxi and kuyt on the wings. Merieles playing centrally, Poulsen holding with a back four of Aurelio, agger as the ball playing centre back, carragher and johnson and reina in goal. This team is not good enough but its just buying the right players which is the only frustrating aspect of the game. I don't really mind which type of centre back they are as long as they are the best. explain "3rd party tools like genie scout of FMRTE" ?

Yeah true. Well i support Liverpool and i normally be them. I normally end up playing a 4-1-3-1-1 with Gerrard in the hole behind Suerez, with maxi and kuyt on the wings. Merieles playing centrally, Poulsen holding with a back four of Aurelio, agger as the ball playing centre back, carragher and johnson and reina in goal. This team is not good enough but its just buying the right players which is the only frustrating aspect of the game. I don't really mind which type of centre back they are as long as they are the best. explain "3rd party tools like genie scout of FMRTE" ?

Buying the right players is prob one of the most frustrating things in football, you can spend a fortune on a flop or nothing on a hero, its about trial and error, and then learning from each experience. There's no set rule for getting it right.

What i mean with 3rd paty tools is, programmes like geniescout or FMRTE will show you all the attributes for players, even the ones you dont know about, it will also tell you their best positions (which the game may not do) so you can almost never get it wrong. Its not something i would suggest unless you want to play that way, but you can find the game getting very boring if your taking no risks with the players you are signing.

In addition to what has already been said above, there are attributes and then there are attributes.

I weight the different attributes based on observations in matches, and comparisons I have made over time. I call this sensitivity.

Pace, for instance, is a very sensitive attribute in FM11.3, while Team Work and Stamina are nowhere near as sensitive. By this I mean that one point up or down for Pace makes a huge difference, while one point up and down for Team Work can be noticable but not usually until we get up to 15ish. 15 is usually an important attribute stat, as it often is the first where you really notice that this is something your player is good at.

The first category is very sensitive attributes, here every point up or down makes a big difference and this counts for the whole range from 1-20

Pace

Jumping

Tackling

Work Rate

Determination

Decisions

Anticipation

Dribbling

The second category is attributes that are sensitive, but normally not until they reach a certain number, so everything below that is less sensitive

Marking (14)

Acceleration (15)

Strength (14)

Off the Ball (13)

Finishing (13)

Crossing (15)

Creativity (13)

Technique (15)

Composure (13)

Team Work (15)

Stamina (14)

The third category is attributes that are relatively insensitive. Here it is difficult to notice when an attribute changes one notch up or down, at least in figures below 15.

Passing

Heading

First Touch

Penalty Taking

Corners

Long Throws

Free Kick Taking

Flair

Long Shots

Balance

Agility

Natural Fitness

Bravery

Aggression

Concentration

I may have forgot some. It is the first time I have written down this list, so it is not an exact science ;)

Buying the right players is prob one of the most frustrating things in football, you can spend a fortune on a flop or nothing on a hero, its about trial and error, and then learning from each experience. There's no set rule for getting it right.

What i mean with 3rd paty tools is, programmes like geniescout or FMRTE will show you all the attributes for players, even the ones you dont know about, it will also tell you their best positions (which the game may not do) so you can almost never get it wrong. Its not something i would suggest unless you want to play that way, but you can find the game getting very boring if your taking no risks with the players you are signing.

Yeah but i would love to know the best players for each position. and then if they dont work out then try trial and error. The game normally shows them anyway, the best position and attributes but thanks. I would prefer to take more risks to make the game more interesting.

In addition to what has already been said above, there are attributes and then there are attributes.

I weight the different attributes based on observations in matches, and comparisons I have made over time. I call this sensitivity.

Pace, for instance, is a very sensitive attribute in FM11.3, while Team Work and Stamina are nowhere near as sensitive. By this I mean that one point up or down for Pace makes a huge difference, while one point up and down for Team Work can be noticable but not usually until we get up to 15ish. 15 is usually an important attribute stat, as it often is the first where you really notice that this is something your player is good at.

The first category is very sensitive attributes, here every point up or down makes a big difference and this counts for the whole range from 1-20

Pace

Jumping

Tackling

Work Rate

Determination

Decisions

Anticipation

Dribbling

The second category is attributes that are sensitive, but normally not until they reach a certain number, so everything below that is less sensitive

Marking (14)

Acceleration (15)

Strength (14)

Off the Ball (13)

Finishing (13)

Crossing (15)

Creativity (13)

Technique (15)

Composure (13)

Team Work (15)

Stamina (14)

The third category is attributes that are relatively insensitive. Here it is difficult to notice when an attribute changes one notch up or down, at least in figures below 15.

Passing

Heading

First Touch

Penalty Taking

Corners

Long Throws

Free Kick Taking

Flair

Long Shots

Balance

Agility

Natural Fitness

Bravery

Aggression

Concentration

I may have forgot some. It is the first time I have written down this list, so it is not an exact science ;)

Thank you very much for your comment. the only problem is knowing which of these apply to what players.

Yeah but i would love to know the best players for each position. and then if they dont work out then try trial and error. The game normally shows them anyway, the best position and attributes but thanks. I would prefer to take more risks to make the game more interesting.

well the best established players in the game will usually be worth the most money, so just sorting by value would give you a good start.

The game shows things to a certain extent, the 3rd party tools show you everything, even how good a player could be in a certain position, even if the game doesnt show them as being capable of playing there.

I think you would be best looking in the good players/teams forum, i think they will have all the info in there you are really looking for. The Liverpool thread will prob be of great benefit to you.

thats why we have said that your adding up the attributes thing wont really work, it wont help your situation.

Yeah but he put a limit on each attribute but surely this would be different for players in different positions.

Yeah but he put a limit on each attribute but surely this would be different for players in different positions.

yeah it will, but unless you know the exact weightings for each role SI have in the game then you will struggle to make your suggestion work.

well the best established players in the game will usually be worth the most money, so just sorting by value would give you a good start.

The game shows things to a certain extent, the 3rd party tools show you everything, even how good a player could be in a certain position, even if the game doesnt show them as being capable of playing there.

I think you would be best looking in the good players/teams forum, i think they will have all the info in there you are really looking for. The Liverpool thread will prob be of great benefit to you.

I'm not sure. Alot of player are worth Alot of money on the game but this doesn't reflect their overall ability. Especially because transfer fee's are so high for players when they are bought they are mostly bought for a much higher price than what their worth. That ultimately gives them an inflated price tag as soon as they sign for a new club. Ok thanks i think i will look in there.

are you first season in the game?

Your right with what you say, thats why i said its a start, the likely hood is that these players were bought for a large fee because they are worth it, you can then filter through the crap that you dont think fits in with your team.

I'm not sure. Alot of player are worth Alot of money on the game but this doesn't reflect their overall ability. Especially because transfer fee's are so high for players when they are bought they are mostly bought for a much higher price than what their worth. That ultimately gives them an inflated price tag as soon as they sign for a new club. Ok thanks i think i will look in there.

Try not to pay much attention to the player values... if you don't have lots of money there are good bargains out there, takes a little more work to find them but often my backroom staff will point many out to me to pay attention to your backroom advice and scout everyone they suggest.

Values can be a bit of a joke.. like when my current team got promoted from the German second to first... their skill obviously didn't change but their values all went from under 1M to 2-3M or more. Doesn't mean I can't sell them for that of course, nor does it make them play at the same level as equally valued players. Value is a joke. Just have to pay attention to the attributes and make sure the player matches the positions and over all tactic you want to play. There are some players with what look like poor attributes but they are placed just perfectly for some roles.

Thank you very much for your comment. the only problem is knowing which of these apply to what players.

I was thinking in general.

Ability is of course affecting things on its own, not just through better attributes on better players. I have found that a pacey striker that is a good L1 player can be outrun by a PL defender having 12-13 in pace. Morale is also affecting things - noone is slower than a fast player who is nervous or playing without confidence.

But apart from that, having high stats in the first category is more important than having high stats in the third, simply because Long Shots is used more rarely in a match than Pace and is thus less noticeable. I have seen players with 11 in corners hit perfect corner kicks creating assists, and I have seen players with 17-18 in corners do the exact same thing - and not necessarily more often. A player with 11 in Determination and a player with 17-18 in Determination cannot be compared in any way, though... the difference is so immense that it is almost game-breaking!

are you first season in the game?

Your right with what you say, thats why i said its a start, the likely hood is that these players were bought for a large fee because they are worth it, you can then filter through the crap that you dont think fits in with your team.

Yeah I'm in the first season in the game. cheers. I don't think if they are bought for a fee it means they are worth it though.

Try not to pay much attention to the player values... if you don't have lots of money there are good bargains out there, takes a little more work to find them but often my backroom staff will point many out to me to pay attention to your backroom advice and scout everyone they suggest.

Values can be a bit of a joke.. like when my current team got promoted from the German second to first... their skill obviously didn't change but their values all went from under 1M to 2-3M or more. Doesn't mean I can't sell them for that of course, nor does it make them play at the same level as equally valued players. Value is a joke. Just have to pay attention to the attributes and make sure the player matches the positions and over all tactic you want to play. There are some players with what look like poor attributes but they are placed just perfectly for some roles.

ok thanks. Yeah but when your team gets promoted your players price tag will inflate because its makes them more important to club in terms of keeping them up. Its just knowing what attributes are important to which position and which aren't.

I was thinking in general.

Ability is of course affecting things on its own, not just through better attributes on better players. I have found that a pacey striker that is a good L1 player can be outrun by a PL defender having 12-13 in pace. Morale is also affecting things - noone is slower than a fast player who is nervous or playing without confidence.

But apart from that, having high stats in the first category is more important than having high stats in the third, simply because Long Shots is used more rarely in a match than Pace and is thus less noticeable. I have seen players with 11 in corners hit perfect corner kicks creating assists, and I have seen players with 17-18 in corners do the exact same thing - and not necessarily more often. A player with 11 in Determination and a player with 17-18 in Determination cannot be compared in any way, though... the difference is so immense that it is almost game-breaking!

Yeah but sometimes it doesn't have to be a good corner to make an assist.

Archived