Scottish reserves competition? Non-existant?

Hi, I manage a scottish second division team of late, and it seems there isn't a competition for my reserves to compete in. Is it me or is something amiss?

I tried to arrange a series of friendlies for them, but could only pick my own under-19's team as an opponent. But as they do have a competition to play in, that didn't seem very sensible thing to do.

How do I get my reserves to improve if I can't play them? And I don't want to be bothered with lots of first team friendlies (in which I field the reserve players) during the season. I can't let my assistant take care of those or he'll use my first team squad.

There is no reserve league in Scotland.

It was scrapped last season or the one before to reduce costs for clubs.

There really is no need to have a reserve team, just have your normal squad and your U19s as backups. Loan or sell anyone not good enough for the first team squad.

Also remember in league games (at least in the SPL) you need 3 U21 players in each match day squad.

Loan or sell anyone not good enough for the first team squad.

Allright, thanx. If I'd known I probably wouldn't have brought some back up players to the club, but we're never to old to learn are we. ;-)

I think I'll go for the loan option, because I couldn't arrange friendlies for the reserve squad other than against my under-19's.

I take a sub-goalie to every game. Once in FM10 I did not, and my goalie got injured early in that game. Lost 8-0 because of that.

Thats such an annoying rule for me, i dont think i have ever had the need for a sub goalie yet in any FM, never lost one to injury or red card so its always a sub spot that could be used for a youngster!!

Really?

I can't believe there are users that don't put a goalie on the bench especially with 7 subs.

Allright, thanx. If I'd known I probably wouldn't have brought some back up players to the club, but we're never to old to learn are we. ;-)

I think I'll go for the loan option, because I couldn't arrange friendlies for the reserve squad other than against my under-19's.

If you go to arrange a friendly, and when selecting a team go to all clubs and filter only scottish clubs, you will get a huge list of all scottish clubs, choose non league ones and they will accept every time, i also send the boys over to america to play second division american teams like Austin, again they always accept.

Really?

I can't believe there are users that don't put a goalie on the bench especially with 7 subs.

I have to playing in scotland, but for europe i very rarely, not unless i am struggling to find someone worth while to put on the bench, i just never see the point, never ever lost a keeper in FM yet during a game. Maybe i have just been very lucky!! I usually only have one keeper in my squad any way, i use the youth keeper in times of emergency.

If you go to arrange a friendly, and when selecting a team go to all clubs and filter only scottish clubs, you will get a huge list of all scottish clubs, choose non league ones and they will accept every time, i also send the boys over to america to play second division american teams like Austin, again they always accept.

Thanks milnerpoint, I'll try that then.

When I tried to arrange a friendly for the reserve-team and chose "other"(or is that "all clubs"?), when only my under-19's seemed available, I got a list with major clubs like Barcelona and Arsenal, but didn't filter. I thought there were only big clubs in that list and did't look any further. Maybe they were ordered by reputation or something.

Sending Brechin City reserves to the US for a friendly seems a bit unrealistic.. I think I won't do that ;-)

There is no reserve football in scotland, teams do not have reserve sides up here anymore, you can arrange friendly matches against non league teams every week if you want them playing games but thats about it.

Although you are right in what you say. Clubs do still have reserves sides, most teams have just re-named the Development sides though. What is most annoying about FM is that the AI do not arrange friendlies. It is not unsual for a club (even of Motherwell's size) to arrange friendlies for Motherwell Development (which is mainly Subs/last year U19's).

Motherwell Development have recently played Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, St Mirren, Bellshill, Wishaw and Partick Thistle....

Sadly the AI don't do this - although since it is not England that is doing it not shocked.

Archived