Players not used to closing down

I like to play a high pressing game, and during the game my AssMan always instructs me about the same couple of players who are not used to closing down. Can someone tell me how do you make players get used to closing down? I mean, they have a high stamina so why would it be so hard for them to close down?

I like to play a high pressing game, and during the game my AssMan always instructs me about the same couple of players who are not used to closing down. Can someone tell me how do you make players get used to closing down? I mean, they have a high stamina so why would it be so hard for them to close down?

the obvious answer would be to get used to it they need to continually do it. Maybe see if there is a PPM for it and ask them to learn it. I could be wrong but that was the first think i thought of

Okay, the low determination and work rate may be a factor but obviously they are still closing down in the game by force. Its not like they are not closing down. So if that is the case, why is my Ass Man bringing it up as an issue? I mean, its not a technique that you have to keep practicing. Its not like a player that has never closed down before cannot do it. Any player in any division with two legs can close down.

Okay, the low determination and work rate may be a factor but obviously they are still closing down in the game by force. Its not like they are not closing down. So if that is the case, why is my Ass Man bringing it up as an issue? I mean, its not a technique that you have to keep practicing. Its not like a player that has never closed down before cannot do it. Any player in any division with two legs can close down.

again, you are taking what he is saying as that they cant do it, this is in no way what he is saying. Its saying that the players do not natually close down the opposition.

Thats my take anyway

Basically, you have two choices.

(1) You can mould your tactics to your players' strengths and proclivities, in which case you take his advice and tweak individual instructions.

OR (2 - my choice) You require your players to adapt to your tactics, in which case you ignore his advice and patiently wait until those players have gotten used to your system. As with blending, in the short term you have to accept that they will make mistakes and not play to their optimum in that period. How long it takes depends on their individual footballing intelligence.

But what this sentence actually means in game? Does it mean that if I have given my team orders to close down then some players just don't close opponents down at times? If one player, let's say, closes opponents down 10 times out of 10, then another player who's 'not used to it' will close down only 6 times out of 10?

it simply means its not something in their natural game, or something they didnt do with their previous team, they will still close down if you instruct them too, they just might not be that effective at it to begin with, after a while that statement will go away and your team will be playing as expected.

it simply means its not something in their natural game, or something they didnt do with their previous team, they will still close down if you instruct them too, they just might not be that effective at it to begin with, after a while that statement will go away and your team will be playing as expected.

Yeah, but what does that "not effective" mean? For my understanding it seems that at certain points they just fail to follow given instructions and don't close down although they have been given the orders.

Yeah, but what does that "not effective" mean? For my understanding it seems that at certain points they just fail to follow given instructions and don't close down although they have been given the orders.

Yes they might not close down in every situation even if you have asked them too, or they may not work hard enough when closing down, or they may not be positionally in the best place to close down, there are quite a few things that make a closing down situation effective, if a player is not used to doing these, or are not that good at doing these then they will struggle, but thankfully most players can learn, although you will always have exceptions, players like Robinhio or Baliotelli will never be great at closing down, their work rate, team work are far far too low to begin with.

Archived