Fed up

Fed up leading by 2 goals with 5 minutes left only to have opposing strikers who have been on ratings of 5.9 the whole match suddenly come to life and score magic equalisers or winners.

Fed up being scored against by multiple 30-40 yard screamers in almost every match.

Fed up with defenders who can't defend corners or crosses despite having the advantage over strikers in almost every relevant attribute.

Fed up with players with high Finishing and Composure firing the ball closer to the corner flag than the goalmouth.

Fed up of the inevitable November slump where early form goes out the window and Premiership players begin playing like Sunday Leaguers.

Fed up of feeling like I'm not having fun any more, even when I'm winning, because the whole thing is likely to go south again next match for no apparent reason.

Just fed up :(

Fed up leading by 2 goals with 5 minutes left only to have opposing strikers who have been on ratings of 5.9 the whole match suddenly come to life and score magic equalisers or winners.

Fed up being scored against by multiple 30-40 yard screamers in almost every match.

Fed up with defenders who can't defend corners or crosses despite having the advantage over strikers in almost every relevant attribute.

Fed up with players with high Finishing and Composure firing the ball closer to the corner flag than the goalmouth.

Fed up of the inevitable November slump where early form goes out the window and Premiership players begin playing like Sunday Leaguers.

Fed up of feeling like I'm not having fun any more, even when I'm winning, because the whole thing is likely to go south again next match for no apparent reason.

Just fed up :(

it's your tactics! :p

Oh, also fed up of ridiculous Minimum Release Fee clauses and having to ignore most of my backroom staff advice, because players have no interest in following my 'suggestions'.

Have to agree with this, minimum fee's are broken IMHO, a player should understand and accept that a smaller club will want a large release fee on their better players..

most of what this fella is talking about in the opening post is very much tactics related actually. I think you are using a tactic you expect to succeed in but are not, why not continue to tweak it to find the perfect solution. That's what real life managers do, they tweak their tactics until it is going quite well.

And you say you are fed up leading 2-0 with 5 to go ? how about the a-league grand final ? 2-0 up in extra time with 6 mins to go and it ends up going to penalties. It does happen.

Form slump ? oh please ! happens with most premier league clubs all season. All clubs have some sort of form slump during every season

Liverpool have real trouble defending fro defensive set pieces, so do Melbourne Victory. I see those troubles all the time, I suggest you watch more Premier League football.

Players with high finishing and composure ? gees are you sure you are not talking about Fernando Torres ? he doesn't even look like scoring for Chelsea yet

Maybe you are expecting to win and aren't fullfilling the team talks properly, team talks do have a big play on how you're team performs for that match.

Maybe you are being over confident ?

most of what this fella is talking about in the opening post is very much tactics related actually. I think you are using a tactic you expect to succeed in but are not, why not continue to tweak it to find the perfect solution. That's what real life managers do, they tweak their tactics until it is going quite well.

And you say you are fed up leading 2-0 with 5 to go ? how about the a-league grand final ? 2-0 up in extra time with 6 mins to go and it ends up going to penalties. It does happen.

Form slump ? oh please ! happens with most premier league clubs all season. All clubs have some sort of form slump during every season

Liverpool have real trouble defending fro defensive set pieces, so do Melbourne Victory. I see those troubles all the time, I suggest you watch more Premier League football.

Players with high finishing and composure ? gees are you sure you are not talking about Fernando Torres ? he doesn't even look like scoring for Chelsea yet

Maybe you are expecting to win and aren't fullfilling the team talks properly, team talks do have a big play on how you're team performs for that match.

Maybe you are being over confident ?

Of course!!! Why didn't I see it before! My over-confidence is allowing players with Long Shots ratings of 10 to bang in goals from 40 yards out. Thank you so much for that startling revelation, I'll go and try to find some self-doubt and paranoia and I'm sure things will improve.

I'm not suggesting that last-minute comebacks don't happen, just not with such incredible regularity.

I'm not suggesting that form slumps don't happen, they're just not normally predictably timetabled to mid-November every season in real life.

I'm not saying that any of these things can't happen in real life, just that they happen way too often and too predictably in FM for it to be fun for me. Just my opinion, and my feeling.

Hmm, then it's also Mr. Hough, SFraser, Knap and Franky's tactics, since I encounter these same phenomena with theirs as well as with my own.

See, this is why I don't release my tactics. Because then it would be my fault that it didn't work for you even though it works fine for me...

Tactics are a piece of the puzzle. Getting the perfect tactic doesn't mean that your team will win every game (manutd2.tac on FM08 anyone?) you still need to motivate, train, and manage your players. If you fail to do that properly, you will lose games REGARDLESS of the tactic! You need to watch the full game and see where your team are failing - then fix it. Conceding in the last 5 minutes suggests tired legs, substitute those who are "looking exhausted" before you get to this point.

the other things are all tactic related, sorry but they are... you need to watch the game and see where the tactic is failing. If it isn't then maybe you need to be looking at getting better players... *shrugs* If it's not the tactics, and it's not the players... you know that the only other thing that could be wrong is the motivation (or the manager).

See, this is why I don't release my tactics. Because then it would be my fault that it didn't work for you even though it works fine for me...

Tactics are a piece of the puzzle. Getting the perfect tactic doesn't mean that your team will win every game (manutd2.tac on FM08 anyone?) you still need to motivate, train, and manage your players. If you fail to do that properly, you will lose games REGARDLESS of the tactic! You need to watch the full game and see where your team are failing - then fix it. Conceding in the last 5 minutes suggests tired legs, substitute those who are "looking exhausted" before you get to this point.

the other things are all tactic related, sorry but they are... you need to watch the game and see where the tactic is failing. If it isn't then maybe you need to be looking at getting better players... *shrugs* If it's not the tactics, and it's not the players... you know that the only other thing that could be wrong is the motivation (or the manager).

How on earth can watching the game help me predict that some random opposing player is going to slam one in from 30 yards out a minute from the end? And I'm not blaming the tactics, I'm saying these same things happen regardless of the tactics, even when I'm doing well with them. I find it frustrating winning 5-3 if all 3 of those opposing goals were hammered in from close to the halfway line by players whose stats suggest they just shouldn't be capable.

These kinds of goals should be special, momentous, and very occasional, like they tend to be in real life. Sure you'll get one or two every week, but one or two throughout the whole premiership, not one or two per game.

I have the same problems, in my last game a regen centre half with long shots stat of 3 scores an absolute screamer from 40 yards, I'm only in October and similar to this has happend to me 4 times. My striker won't shoot and when he does it's normally off target, where as last season my tactics where perfect. Any help is appreciated.

How on earth can watching the game help me predict that some random opposing player is going to slam one in from 30 yards out a minute from the end? And I'm not blaming the tactics, I'm saying these same things happen regardless of the tactics, even when I'm doing well with them. I find it frustrating winning 5-3 if all 3 of those opposing goals were hammered in from close to the halfway line by players whose stats suggest they just shouldn't be capable.

These kinds of goals should be special, momentous, and very occasional, like they tend to be in real life. Sure you'll get one or two every week, but one or two throughout the whole premiership, not one or two per game.

and if your players close the guy down on the halfway line before he unleashes his "wondershot" they block it, they force him to pass it, they tackle him and win the ball, they foul him... any of which is preferable to him slamming "one in from 30 yards out a minute from the end"...

I rarely see goals scored from long-range in my games... in fact the only one that I can remember this season was my youngish dm/cm who has -11- for long shots (but -14- technique and composure). It was also his first (and only) goal for the club.. but it was a beauty :D

It's not your tactics. If everything were a matter of tactics, there would be little variability in the game from match to match. Player psychology is two-thirds of this game, and the "psychology engine," as it were, is designed to ensure that even the best teams with the best tactics lose every so often. Often this looks like crude rubberband AI, like when a team predictably comes off an 8-0 victory with an 0-4 home loss to a relegation candidate due to the sudden surge of overconfidence, but warts and all, it's what keeps the game from being boring. With that said, adjusting your team talks is the best way to deal with the pressure/complacency slapback effect that comes with being a successful team.

then tweak your tactics, simple.

at the start of the season in real life, clubs can play above their expectations due to them being an unknown quality, then teams work them out and thus the slump starts. How about Hull ? maybe you need more depth in your squad ?

clearly those players scoring from long range don't score all the time, with a 10 rating, its like scoring long range effort 30% of the time to be honest.

I've used the same tactic for FM10 and 11 and it just works. Admittedly it's fairly simple (one holding midfielder and one adventurous one, with the defenders staying where they should be.. um.. defending). So cracked tactics is a myth.

Strikers finishing is a fair issue, although mainly because there are too many clear chances.

The biggest problem in FM11 is the corners. Worked perfectly in FM10. Just useless in this one. Might as well not send anyone into their box at all, they wont score. Just wait for it to come back out and go again.

I'm fed up with other things going wrong after a patch is applied, that I never used to get a problem with?

I'm not one to criticise my players for scoring, but Nemanja Vidic has scored 14 goals for me, and it's only February? I am using no set piece creations etc, just default. There have been countless games in only the first few months of the season where Vidic and Ferdinand have both netted from corners in the same game. This has happened in my own single save, and also on an online save I'm having. My online buddy is getting the same with Dawson scoring like a striker.

Also, I've never had FM11 crash, and it is repeatingly doing it now. I have had 3 occassions where the save game has now become corrupted.

Fed up with FM generally now. You know how we used to snigger at Fifa Manager for their bugs and stuff, I think the tide has changed folks, I'm sorry to say.

FM11 patch 2 I was getting on with great guns. Patch 3 has made it poop. Unrealistic defender goalscoring and constant saving to cover my @ss in case of an inevitable crash.

Not fun, at all.

I'm fed up with other things going wrong after a patch is applied, that I never used to get a problem with?

I'm not one to criticise my players for scoring, but Nemanja Vidic has scored 14 goals for me, and it's only February? I am using no set piece creations etc, just default. There have been countless games in only the first few months of the season where Vidic and Ferdinand have both netted from corners in the same game. This has happened in my own single save, and also on an online save I'm having. My online buddy is getting the same with Dawson scoring like a striker.

Also, I've never had FM11 crash, and it is repeatingly doing it now. I have had 3 occassions where the save game has now become corrupted.

Fed up with FM generally now. You know how we used to snigger at Fifa Manager for their bugs and stuff, I think the tide has changed folks, I'm sorry to say.

FM11 patch 2 I was getting on with great guns. Patch 3 has made it poop. Unrealistic defender goalscoring and constant saving to cover my @ss in case of an inevitable crash.

Not fun, at all.

I haven't saved my game since the 19th March (it's permanently running) before that it was the 13th of March and before that the 10th... I've not had a single crash since I installed 11.3 but I admit that I do have a reasonably good PC to run it on... as for the defender's scoring from corners... I wish :( I have one CB who has 3 so far this season (9th December) and he's the only defender to have scored this season. Maybe I need to change my routine to default (but I scored loads last season...)?

I haven't saved my game since the 19th March (it's permanently running) before that it was the 13th of March and before that the 10th... I've not had a single crash since I installed 11.3 but I admit that I do have a reasonably good PC to run it on... as for the defender's scoring from corners... I wish :( I have one CB who has 3 so far this season (9th December) and he's the only defender to have scored this season. Maybe I need to change my routine to default (but I scored loads last season...)?

Can confirm that the other onlineuser is also default set pieces.

Seems as long as the CD has good heading and jumping, we're guarenteed double figures at least. Same for opposition goals.

Archived