Whats the point of stats?

Just out of interest, whats the actual point of the stats? A person with long shots of 3, and decisions of 6, takes the ball 25 yards out, decides to take a long shot, and fires into the top corner.

Now, his long shots are so low, does he actually have the ability to do that?

Im sure many of you will say "oh well anything can happen", "he could do it once every 100 games" or whatever, but surely if somebody doesn't have the ability to do it, they couldn't do it at all?

If a golfer isn't very good, they couldn't suddenly hit a hole in one...

Just out of interest, whats the actual point of the stats? A person with long shots of 3, and decisions of 6, takes the ball 25 yards out, decides to take a long shot, and fires into the top corner.

Now, his long shots are so low, does he actually have the ability to do that?

Im sure many of you will say "oh well anything can happen", "he could do it once every 100 games" or whatever, but surely if somebody doesn't have the ability to do it, they couldn't do it at all?

If a golfer isn't very good, they couldn't suddenly hit a hole in one...

I think your missing the point.

There are plenty of amateur golfers who have hit holes in one.

Having long shots of three doesn't mean he can't hit the target and it still makes him a much better footballer than you or I are.

I'll quote Tim Lovejoy....

"It's only Ray Parlour!"

You know what happened next.....

Was Parlour thought of as a playher who could smash in 35 yard screamers? No, of course not, hence Lovejoy's quote...

It happens in football, that's why it's so beautiful.

I read a news article a while ago about a golfer who took his son out golfing for the first time, who was around 5 at the time iirc and he hit a hole in one in his first attempt on a par 3 his dad had never managed it on in years of playing on that course, so yeah it really is because anything can happen and football being such a chaotic sport all manner of strange things happen in the game.

http://www.faniq.com/article/6YearOld-Hits-HoleinOne-With-Spongebob-Squarepants-Golf-Ball-1742406

We are all capable of the odd flluck whether we can normally do it or not.

i used to play Saturday and Sunday league football

And for 10 years played as a midfielder and quite often set goals up for the team.

I was also the teams set piece taker and scored a few 25 yarders over the years.

But and i was known for this in the team if i was 12 yards out or one on one with the keeper i would 99% of the time fluff the shot, but occasionally and i mean very occasionally i would bury one in the back of the net

i would say my finishing was a 1 or a 2 in that situation but every blue moon i managed it..... and it most definetly was a fluke

Its ridicolous, if you can't do something, YOU CAN'T DO IT. You can't fluke a 25 yarder...

**** off if you disagree

I've done it at the age of 16. A friend scored from fifty yards (albeit with the help of a slope, it started low ended up hitting the top corner) the same season. Another friend the same year managed, in a hurling game to hit a ball over the bar from the ground from 70 yards a far more difficult feat. I would posit though that any goal scored from 25 yards or farther would include at least some part flukiness, as it is a long distance, allowing for greater accuracy needed, more outside influences from the weather and other players, and more time for the goalie to position himself right.

Oh, and I am reporting you for abusive language. Cut it out.

Archived