The difference between centre backs("defend" vs cover vs stopper)

I was just wondering what the difference is in *effectiveness*. I have never really tried the cover vs stopper strat but since 11.3 i've noticed it seems to make a big difference. Even two stoppers seem to be incredible, even if it is something i would never try in real life. Is a stopper or cover better than a normal defend setting because it requires more good attributes?

also, do u guys use two normal "partner" (defend) centre backs or stopper/cover, stopper/stopper...cover/cover?

Stopper/cover is the natural choice.

The stopper steps forward out of defence challenging for headers/tackles etc while the cover player is more like a sweeper picking up loose second balls as well as offering an extra line of defence sitting slightly deeper.

I always play a cover/stopper partnership. Since I thought about doing this a good while ago I do it in every single game. Always prefer having that cover rather than both DCs pushing right up and then getting caught square. I change the covering DC to employ a Zonal marking system as well so he's marking his "area" and the stopping DC is on Man Marking (sometimes change this from Man Mark to marking a specific player). Works pretty well for me more often than not too :thup:

To me it totally depends on the players I have available. No point playing a stopper and a cover if both are better suited to being stoppers. Using my man united save as an example, vidic is made for a stopper role (he's good as cover too but better as a stopper), but jonny Evans suits a cover role far better. I bought Arturo Vidal too and have converted him to a ball playing defender as his stats fit the role perfectly and he's been immense.

I always try to have one of each types but to me it's far better that the players fit their roles...

@Cougar2010

I was just wondering whether you read my post at all...i even highlighted my question: the difference in *effectiveness*, as opposed to what they do. My 2nd question was: Do you think a stopper or cover is better than a regular defend setting because of the extra stats it requires?

@dfa120374

that sounds like an awesome strategy you have goin on, it sounds like alot of work too haha

@sneakysmeagle22

i'm glad i'm not the only one that uses two stoppers and i agree with u that it all depends on your personnel. Do you think two stoppers are better than two regular defenders because it requires the extra anticipation or aggressiveness stats?

I've always gone with a stopper/cover setup myself, with a faster/tackler CB as the stopper.

As for the effectiveness... Well hard to say, my D's always performed pretty well for me with that combo. That being said, I tend to see my cover CB break off the line and challenge an attack far more then the stopper does, which obviously makes no sense but doesn't cause issues. So it's hard to say if it really makes any difference at all to me, but I still set it that way as it makes more sense imo.

Actually all it really does is adjust the sliders a little automatically... ie the stopper has a slightly higher close down setting then the cover. But as I said, this seems to have minimal effect and its more to player personality (if they prefer closing) and attributes if they close or stay back. But that's just based on the players I've used, maybe mine are just 'special' doing the opposite they are told. :p

Interesting, I always go with a Stopper/Cover partnership, but with the cover player having more pace. My reasoning is that if the stopper gets caught out by a pacey striker, it's not such a problem, as the covering CB has the pace to keep up. Whereas, if the CB's are switched, the covering CB will be exposed by pace if the stopper doesn't block out the pass on the first try.

Interesting, I always go with a Stopper/Cover partnership, but with the cover player having more pace. My reasoning is that if the stopper gets caught out by a pacey striker, it's not such a problem, as the covering CB has the pace to keep up. Whereas, if the CB's are switched, the covering CB will be exposed by pace if the stopper doesn't block out the pass on the first try.

Well unless its simply a high pace attacker coming in alone I want the CB that stays back watching for a pass... if the CB that closes gets beaten straight up I rather have a possible pass covered and let my keeper take the one on one... not the best idea but I ten d to put lots of stock into by keeper, and part of my hockey mind showing in football lol.

But tends to work out fine... -As long as i get the right players- I tend to have 2-3 of my D line and my keeper up for end of the year awards and have the fewest goals conceded in the league.

But all that is regardless, because again, I see the CB set to cover close down just as much if not more then the stopper again, and unless there is some other hidden thing I'm unaware of the only think real difference between a cover/stopper is the close down setting.

@martyr

i totally agree with that mentality, it's better to stop a for-sure goal(the pass) rather than the maybe goal(1v1, have faith in the keeper!)

I'm just curious but is there any detrimental effect with pairing a stopper/cover with a normal "defend" centre back? The only thing that makes me wary is that in the normal defend setting, they're supposed to work with their defensive partner and keep the same line etc...so where does that leave him?

@dfa120374

that sounds like an awesome strategy you have goin on, it sounds like alot of work too haha

Not really Jakk cos as soon as it's set up with each of the players then it stays that way. I just make sure that the covering player has a better Anticipation attribute because even if the stopping player is not really as good as the covering player then at least the covering player should mop up any mishaps the stopper makes - or misses. Just have to make sure that the covering player is set a lot more to Defensive and to cover his own area. A lot more then he'll push up and you don't want that as he will be more or less caught out of position.

Like I say though it works more often than not for me.

@Cougar2010

I was just wondering whether you read my post at all...i even highlighted my question: the difference in *effectiveness*, as opposed to what they do. My 2nd question was: Do you think a stopper or cover is better than a regular defend setting because of the extra stats it requires?

It depends really... A regular "defender" is presumably an all-rounder whilst a lot of defenders are better as "stoppers" or "covers". There's no hard-or-fast rules to determine which one is better.

I prefer one of each because it allows me to stagger my centre-backs against lone strikers and means I don't need a deep midfield anchor or a full-back helping out as much. But realistically it's not a rule - two stoppers may always be useful against large strikers and two covers may be useful if you have a deep midfield anchor and you are against a team defending deep.

Archived