Need a little help with my team, Is 4-4-2 worth playing any more?

Ok im currently playing.. 4-4-2 after playing 4-1-2-2-1 (Wide wingers) for the past 3 seasons... I want to start playing with 2 players upfront as i feel babacar isn't playing too well any more on his own... BUT i've read alot about 4-4-2's not working on FM11 very well. Im West Ham atm finished my 3rd season in 5th place after playing 4-1-2-2-1 but hardly any of my goals came from my forwards, it was mainly just from scrappy goals or defenders heading it in...Could anyone help me out on a decent 4-4-2 tactic where I could be a lot more consistent in games and not just scrape wins? Plus isit worth playing the 4-4-2? What tactics would u recommend?

-------------------------R. Green--------------------------

Micah--------------Wes--------Milito---------------Juan

Richards---------Brown--------------------------------------

Barrera---------Scott----------Owen-----------Zezinho

-----------------Parker---------Hargreaves

----------------Berbatov---------Babacar

2 Full backs (support) Richards, Juan

Centre back (defend) Milito

Centre back (support) Brown

Left winger (attack) Zezinho

Right winger (support) Barrera

MCL Ball winning mid (support) Hargreaves

MCR Midfield (attack) Parker

1 Deep lying (support) Berbatov

1 Poacher (attack) Babacar

I agree with these guys 4-4-2 is a good all round balanced formation but you need to have the right players in the right roles. Its alright having wingers but if you are playing away against an equal or better side you need to get them to help out your midfiled + fb's. Its nice to have an AM/FC playing upfront also as you can drop him into AMC position if you need help in midfield.

I played with 4-5-1 with 2 MCs AMR/L/C and FC for 2 or 3 seasons, then I switch to 4-4-2 with 2MCs, AMR/L and 2 FCs and I got the best result. One season with 141 league goals and another with only 7 (or 8?) conceded :) You do need some good MCs and good/fast fullbacks IMO though because you need those fullbacks to defend well on the wings and MCs to win the ball high up and put the pressure on other team.

But overall, I think you just need the right person for the right role to perform well as a team rather than a tactic IMO. I tend to adjust the role and position of my players available each season to get the result rather than forcing my players to adapt the same formation. But that's just my way of playing.

Im currently testing a 4-4-2 that I've been working on. I've tried to make it as real to life as Manchester United's 4-4-2 of the 90's.

I've had some success with it, I won back to back Russian league titles. Im currently testing it with Grimsby in Blue Square Premiership, and I will also be checking it with Manchester United as well.

I've created it using classic tactics, I think I will also try to create one with the tactics creator too, but I've not done too well with tactics creator since it was implemented.

P.S. OP your strike partnership is perfect for the 4-4-2 im working on, a sort of Sherringham (Berbatov) and Cole (Babacar) paring.

ive not been able to get 4-4-2 to work for the last 4-5 years although i admit im a muppet when it comes to tactics :D

id suggest 4-3-3 advanced forward on the left, deep lying in the centre and a poacher on the right. i take no credit for this as its what i found in a couple of tactics in the tactic forum

sorry to change the subject. Im having real problems loading football manager. The disc is clean and my p.c is working fine but when i put the disc in ,nothing happens. No icon or directions,nothing. Could someone help me to load it please

Have you tried going to Start>My computer>Double-clicking on the DVD Drive(with FM disc inserted)?

Back on topic:

4-4-2 is working like a charm for me, no matter what team I choose in any league. But then I struggle to use any other tactics......

Archived