the home grown rule is doing my head in!

on 11.2.1, i sign a player who at the start of a game is 18, his birthday is 29/05/82 and wont turn 19 tll the end of the season, i sign him a few days into the first transfer window, this player should surely be HG after 3 years right? nope, seems not.

in past games, i was under the impression that if i signed a player and he joined me before he hit 19, that would count but seemingly its not. what is going on here!?

No, it's over twenty that has to be registered to play, it's under 21 fir home grown. The in game message says a player has to spend 3 years at the club before his 21st birthday which means he has to be signed at the maximum aged 17 and 364 days to allow 3 full years before his birthday.

Some people have reported it still works if you sign them before they are 18 and a half, but it shouldn't and I havnt seen it work.

who says im playing in the PL? this happens for both barcelona and bologna. noone ive signed at 18 in fm2011 has gotten any sort of due date for HG status of any kind.

there needs to be a clearer representation of if a player will count as HG when looking to sign him instead of the guess work that is present.

start a new game, search for hyago, should he or should he not in theory, count after 3 years?

The home grown rule is universal Europe wide. 3 years before their 21at birthday, so they need to be 17 when they walk into your club and you CANT loan them out or they will no longer be registered to your club for that period.

Damn, didn't realise I can't loan out those players.. Ahhhh

All these rules are xenophobic and ruin football. Nationality and upbringing doesnt matter in any other profession in such an official capacity so how should football be any different?

Which has what to do with the game exactly? Go petition uefa.

The home grown rule is universal Europe wide. 3 years before their 21at birthday, so they need to be 17 when they walk into your club and you CANT loan them out or they will no longer be registered to your club for that period.

i dont think thats true either, ive signed lukaku at 18 and he shows as having a due date. but another 18 year old doesnt get it.

things like this should be made clearer (like in X days to qualify for nationality) as right now we're just using guesswork and witchcraft to figure things out. didnt know about the whole loaning out thing, thats a crap rule if its really the case!!

yes but my point was i signed him at 18 and got the HG date and i was arguing this point you made:

contradict yourself a bit there?

i dont think thats true either, ive signed lukaku at 18 and he shows as having a due date. but another 18 year old doesnt get it.

things like this should be made clearer (like in X days to qualify for nationality) as right now we're just using guesswork and witchcraft to figure things out. didnt know about the whole loaning out thing, thats a crap rule if its really the case!!

Lukaku is 17 at start of game.

All these rules are xenophobic and ruin football. Nationality and upbringing doesnt matter in any other profession in such an official capacity so how should football be any different?

Before these changes were made it was possible to sign a player, leave him at your feeder club abroad for 3 years and then bring him into your squad as a "Trained at club" player...... And he's never stepped foot in the country.

I think the rule changes also have somthing to do with encouraging clubs to develop more own nation talent.

It has everything to do with football !

So Tim, Lukaku is 17 at the start of the game ;)

I imagine if they can squeeze in 1095 days before their 21'st birthday or before the end of registration period (say with the premiership the cut off period is January 31st) so an 18 year old signed in the August of 2010 may be homegrown come January 2014. I can't say for certain, its mere speculation on my behalf that perhaps the game is taking 3 years before the registration cut-off because that date plays a role in whether or not a player turning 21 has to be registered and may also affect this - perhaps albeit wrongly.

yes but my point was i signed him at 18 and got the HG date and i was arguing this point you made:

contradict yourself a bit there?

Not sure how I am contradicting myself. In order to spend 3 full years at your club before your 21st birthday you need to be 17 when you start. I can count it out if you like.

Year 1 = 17-18

Year 2 = 18-19

Year 3 = 19-20

Therefore he has spent 3 years at your club before his 21st birthday.

If you are 18 when you are signed:

18-19

19-20

20-21

Therefore you wont have spent 3 years before your 21st birthday.

If you have signed an 18 year old, and they end up being 'trained at club' then its either a bug OR the game is counting from the date of the contract agreement, not the date the player arrives. Or he arrived on his 18th birthday.

EDIT - or you misread it an he has a home grown in country date because he was already in the same country as you when you signed him.

I missed nowt matey.

You signed Lukaku at 17 and the other guy ate 18.

Thats why Lukaku is HG and the other guy aint.

no, i didnt, i signed him at 18 unless in your game somehow magically people never age? i'll quote myself from earlier, hell i'll even highlight the part i think puts my case across:

In order to spend 3 full years at your club before your 21st birthday you need to be 17 when you start. I can count it out if you like.

Year 1 = 17-18

Year 2 = 18-19

Year 3 = 19-20

Therefore he has spent 3 years at your club before his 21st birthday.

If you are 18 when you are signed:

18-19

19-20

20-21

Therefore you wont have spent 3 years before your 21st birthday.

okay, i'll let the screenshots speak for themselves:

take note of the HG due date and the age: http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/9420/18969409.jpg

take note of his birthday: http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/7903/27804180.jpg

take note of the contract start date (ie, when he joined): http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7299/86222579.jpg

so using your logic about how they need to be 17 (or at very worst case, join on their 18th), how do you explain the above screenshots showing the fact that his 18th birthday was 13th may 2011 he joined my team 1st july 2011 (aged 18..) but yet he is going to be club trained on 29th june 2014?

edit: sorry, not meaning to sound hostile but its highly frustrating how it works with one thing but doesnt work with another.

Ok - I have the answer - its due to the transfer window and when his birthday falls, you signed him when he was 17, but it didnt go through until the begining of the transfer window.

There is obviously a month or so grace period, or it is a bug, but I susspect the former.

when you say signed him, do you mean when i agree to the deal or when the deal goes through and he joins?

Well you signed him on the first day of the transfer window, I can only assume you had the deal in place before hand and it was waiting to go through when the window opened.

Its the only way that this works - his home grown status updates the day before the transfer window opens 3 years after he was bought. Therefore as his birthday is in may it must allow for the fact that you couldnt sign him at this time. I assume any player who signs for the club after they turned 18, but before a transfer window must count as being at the club during that period.

EG - if the players birthday is between August and December, so long as you sign him when he is 18 in the january transfer window, he counts as being signed before his 18th birthday. Same for players born between feburary and june, so long as they are signed in the august transfer window.

Ive been trying to find the offical uefa rules, but all I can find is the provisional documents from 2005 when uefa wanted 6+5, rather than 8+4.

no, i didnt, i signed him at 18 unless in your game somehow magically people never age? i'll quote myself from earlier, hell i'll even highlight the part i think puts my case across:

Ive had tuns of youngsters join me at age 18 and they NEVER get the HG tag.

Can you please show me a screen shot of your player transfers for the season 2010/2011.? TY.

On a side note, somthing don't look right.

He joined you on a very weird 5 year contract with 50% sell on clause, some weird 1 year extention after 20 games clause that I aint familiar with, a 9k app fee and 140k for hitting 20 goals in a season.

He's on 15k a week and is valued at 14.5 milllion at age 18 and oh yeah.... he's in your U19's.

Ive never seen him make such demands in any of my saves, he is usually very moderate with contract demands.

Are you sure you didnt give him a new contract after season 2010/2011? ;)

Ive had tuns of youngsters join me at age 18 and they NEVER get the HG tag.

Can you please show me a screen shot of your player transfers for the season 2010/2011.? TY.

On a side note, somthing don't look right.

He joined you on a very weird 5 year contract with 50% sell on clause, some weird 1 year extention after 20 games clause that I aint familiar with, a 9k app fee and 140k for hitting 20 goals in a season.

He's on 15k a week and is valued at 14.5 milllion at age 18 and oh yeah.... he's in your U19's.

Ive never seen him make such demands in any of my saves, he is usually very moderate with contract demands.

Are you sure you didnt give him a new contract after season 2010/2011? ;)

eh? not sure how i can get this across any clearer, he did not sign for me in summer 2010 or winter 2011, i signed him summer 2011 (aged 18), this is why i've been saying all along that i signed him at 18 not 17 (ffs!).

here is my transfer page from 2011/2012 season so far: http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/1195/73656108.jpg

as for the contract, i always offer as low wages as i can whilst bumping up the perks/sign on fees etc, i could offer him 100k/week and max bonuses if i wanted but i fail to see what difference would that make to your point? as for why hes in my u19 team? he's not going to break into my first team yet but i want to be able to tutor him, so he cant go to my B team, plain and simple.

as you can now (hopefully) clearly see, he joined 1st july 2011, there is no way i can even get a contract offer in and accepted the same day..

i cant see the point you're trying to argue here..

eh? not sure how i can get this across any clearer, he did not sign for me in summer 2010 or winter 2011, i signed him summer 2011 (aged 18), this is why i've been saying all along that i signed him at 18 not 17 (ffs!).

here is my transfer page from 2011/2012 season so far: http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/1195/73656108.jpg

as for the contract, i always offer as low wages as i can whilst bumping up the perks/sign on fees etc, i could offer him 100k/week and max bonuses if i wanted but i fail to see what difference would that make to your point? as for why hes in my u19 team? he's not going to break into my first team yet but i want to be able to tutor him, so he cant go to my B team, plain and simple.

as you can now (hopefully) clearly see, he joined 1st july 2011, there is no way i can even get a contract offer in and accepted the same day..

i cant see the point you're trying to argue here..

You signed him 6 weeks after his 18th birthday..... There is either some lee-way on the rule or your game is bugged.

Like I said before, in multiple saves, no player aged 18 or over has ever got a home grown tag for me.

You didn't have him on loan in the first season did you? just an idea.

Erm - did anyone actually bother to read my post.

Its not a bug, its right and this is the reason (I only posted this 5 post above...)

18.10 A “club-trained player” is a player who, between the age of 15 (or the start of the season during which he turns 15) and 21 (or the end of the season during which he turns 21),

Therefore his age when signing is not relavent, just that he was 17 DURING that year.

Erm - did anyone actually bother to read my post.

Its not a bug, its right and this is the reason (I only posted this 5 post above...)

18.10 A “club-trained player” is a player who, between the age of 15 (or the start of the season during which he turns 15) and 21 (or the end of the season during which he turns 21),

Therefore his age when signing is not relavent, just that he was 17 DURING that year.

I bothered.

But did you bother reading mine?

Ive signed tuns of 18 year olds who dont get the tag.

I bothered.

But did you bother reading mine?

Ive signed tuns of 18 year olds who dont get the tag.

Yes - because they didnt TURN 18 in the season you signed them. (EG - their 18th birthday was before the season started in which you signed them)

Ive provided the rules from UEFA, ive checked it against the OP and my team and they all check out that way.

Lukaku didn't turn 18 in the season he signed him.

Lukaku's birthdate is the 13th of May 1993.

He was 18 on the 13th of May 2011..

He was signed for Barcelona on the 1st of july 2011

When does the Spanish season start? Im sure it does not start before the 13th of May.

Therefore the math does not tie in with your research because Lukaku was 18 before the Spanish season began.

I was led to believe the season starts June 25th in the UK (And other euro countries on a similar date), not when the first game is played.

That maybe wrong but still, it appears Lukaku turned 18 in the 2010/2011 season and was signed during the 2011/2012 season.

No, sorry, season starts with the first game played, he was signed at the end of the previous year.

If that's the case, any player I buy aged 18 before my team plays it's first league game, will get the HG tag.

That is not how the game works for me.

Time willing, I will provide screen shots tomorow.

Archived