I think something is wrong with the match engine...

I play an attacking 4-2-3-1 as Dortmund,and i can proudly say that we create a lot of chances and play most games pretty well.But,half of my goals come from defenders which score from set pieces,while my best strikers miss clear chances...something is obviously wrong but at least the post-match commentary says we won thanks to the quality of our plays.:-)

in my experience lone strikers do not perform as well as they have in previous years. there are a couple issues with defenders scoring a lot of goals from corners.

there has been a lot of talk about there being too many chances and not enough goals scored from them, but with the right training and team/player instructions this does become reasonable.

I play an attacking 4-2-3-1 as Dortmund,and i can proudly say that we create a lot of chances and play most games pretty well.But,half of my goals come from defenders which score from set pieces,while my best strikers miss clear chances...something is obviously wrong but at least the post-match commentary says we won thanks to the quality of our plays.:-)

Well you are using set piece routines that exploit the ME leading to an unrealistic number of goals from your defenders. This is something that has been in FM (in various forms) for a number of releases and is something that SI struggle to fully fix. What I do is change my set piece orders so that a more realistic level of goals are scored.

Your CCCs being missed is down to a mixture of tactics/morale/teamtalks etc.

I have quite some success with lone striker. I set him as Poacher role and he's become my top scorer. I'm using Yaya Sanogo btw. And he scores around 1 per game or more.

But I guess it depends on the player and role itself though because I have another regen with some quite impressive stats and he can't score goal to save his life.... went on to 27 hr goal drough. Even my 17 yr old striker score more than he does or like the OP said, my defenders scores more... I guess just need to find the right player for the right role and formation.

And yes, the ME does miss a lot of clear cut chances but not complaining :) The AI misses their CCC too so it even out, I guess

Well you are using set piece routines that exploit the ME leading to an unrealistic number of goals from your defenders. This is something that has been in FM (in various forms) for a number of releases and is something that SI struggle to fully fix. What I do is change my set piece orders so that a more realistic level of goals are scored.

How am i exploiting something?for set pieces i just use the players that the best specific value,and i dont touch anything else...

How am i exploiting something?for set pieces i just use the players that the best specific value,and i dont touch anything else...

Well from your opening post you've said that half your goals are scored by defenders from set pieces.

I'm not saying you've gone looking to exploit the ME but if you are scoring more goals than other AI teams from set pieces then clearly your routine exploits a weakness in the ME. As I said previously this is an issue, in various forms, that FM has had for a few versions now and SI have said its very difficult one to fully fix.

what do ou change your set pieces to in order to do this? I score quite a few from set pieces, but would like less while still being able to send my defenders up

what do ou change your set pieces to in order to do this? I score quite a few from set pieces, but would like less while still being able to send my defenders up

Well in FM11 far post headers seem to be the main issue so I keep my corners on mixed and have my defenders on either near post, keeper or just forward orders.

Saying that I haven't played FM11 that much so can't fully comment but if I found I was scoring too many I would change the orders around a bit.

in my experience lone strikers do not perform as well as they have in previous years. there are a couple issues with defenders scoring a lot of goals from corners.

there has been a lot of talk about there being too many chances and not enough goals scored from them, but with the right training and team/player instructions this does become reasonable.

That's a hole in one right there.

For everyone struggling, try a flat 4-4-2 (the preset one is fine believe it or not) or a 4-4-2 with an AMR/AML, set as either Inside Forwards, Wingers or half and half.

The two men running the defence create more dynamic opportunities and you'll convert more.

Tis all about tactics people!

EDIT:

I don't consider the set piece routine an exploit if someone has set up their routines and come across it by accident - it's just good tactics, as most players will aim a cross at the far post from the corner.

Archived