What is a good size squad?

I have tried various total size of my squad, but can't decide on what is best. In my current game I use only one backup for each position. For instance, my tactic uses two centre backs, so I have three on my squad. I use a lone striker, so I have two on my squad, et cetera. This means my squad has 18 players only. Sure, I am vulnerable to injuries, but on the other hand no player is angry because they don't get first team experience. Also, the players I have all develop well since they don't sit on the bench very much.

Any opinions on the optimal number of players on the squad?

I have tried various total size of my squad, but can't decide on what is best. In my current game I use only one backup for each position. For instance, my tactic uses two centre backs, so I have three on my squad. I use a lone striker, so I have two on my squad, et cetera. This means my squad has 18 players only. Sure, I am vulnerable to injuries, but on the other hand no player is angry because they don't get first team experience. Also, the players I have all develop well since they don't sit on the bench very much.

Any opinions on the optimal number of players on the squad?

I have either a 22 or 23 man squad, depending on my tactic. if i have 2 up front, ill have 2 players in every position. if i have 1 up front, ill have 2 players in every position and an extra striker.

This allows me to rotate well and also keep everybody happy. it is important to have the players with the right squad status, as this will keep them all happy.

In addition - try to keep around 7-8 players in your reserve team. I include only better youth players there - in age between 18-21 that are not ready to first team yet and/or players that I couldn't find a good team to loan them out.

These players always get to play in reserve league (and some of 1st team and/or youth players are also included) but they also should be able to step up when necessary (e.g. your both right wingers are injured and you need somebody to fill the place for just one game).

it depends on how much money you have and on the reputation of your club if you are able to sign good players that are willing to be backup players then it would not be a big thing if they play only few games per season

I usually play in the lower leagues and every player that I want to sign wants to be a key player but I still want to have a quite big squad of around 26 players that I rotate quite a lot.

If its possible then I want to sign players in the following manner (for a 4-4-2):

three goalies

five full backs (out of wich two are defensively oriented and two are offensively oriented and one that can play one either side)

five central defenders (out of wich two are faster and more technical and two that are tall and strong and one that is little of both)

five wingers (all of the same type)

five central midfielders (out of wich two are defensive midfielders, two are attacking midfielders and one that is a two way player ) and

five strikers (out of wich two are fast strikers, two target strikers and one is all around)

But in order to lower my wage bill I usually loan a couple of players (predominatly backup players to the ones that I have under contract)

As I mostly manage in the lower leagues I take whatever I can get icon_wink.gif

But seriously, I try not to have dozens of first team players and train a few youngsters. That way if i suffer from a horrific injury crisis, i just blood a couple of those guys and get them some games.

My first squad is always 18 or 19 players. Where possible I try to have over lap between cover.

For example, my back up DL can also play as ML.

My ML is also a Forward.

By doing this I can have a smaller squad and carry more effective cover on my subs bench.

Archived