Career games too easy - losing motivation?

Hello all.

SI, please look into this. This year's game is great in my opinion, but it is way too easy, and because of that it ruins my (career) savegame. Below I have describen my savegame of FM 2011. Experienced CM/FM players are most likely to agree with me, that's what I think :cool:

Season 1: Managing FC Nordsjælland in the Danish league. I signed 4-5 players on a free transfer, and ended 3rd in the league.

Season 2: Won the league.

Season 3: Signed a contract with Standard Liege. The team became 7th in season 2. I Won the Double.

Season 4: Signed a contract with Hoffenheim. The team became 10th in season 3. I won the domestic cup, and became 5th in the league.

Season 5: This year I won the league and the Europa League.

Season 6: Signed a contract with Liverpool. The team was very poor, but I managed to get a 2nd place in the Premiership (could have won the league in the last match).

Season 7: My only bad season - ended as number 4, and lost the FA Cup final to Everton.

Season 8: Signed a contract with FC Bayern. Won the league and the Champions League.

Season 9: Monster-season with FC Bayern. Won the treble with almost no trouble at all + EC Super Cup and FIFA World Club Cup.

Season 10: Took over Arsenal, who came 8th in the previous season and I won the Premiership.

In 10 seasons I have won the domestic league 6 times. I have won the Champions League twice, Europa League once, and a number of other cups as well. TOO EASY.

This is very disappointing. Each time I get to a new club I spend a lot of time setting up the staff, scouts and the youth team. I like to build up a new team full of many young talented players, but it seems like I can achieve everything in two or three seasons. For example with FC Bayern. I would love to continue, but it is very meaningless when I have absolutely no trouble winning 10 matches in a row.

What can I do from here? I will most likely continue my career. I have thought about playing with a lower league team, but I don't feel I have patience for that. I have already tried that out with FC Nordsjælland which is a top 8-10 club in Denmark.

...What do you guys think? Is it just me???

What can I do from here? I will most likely continue my career. I have thought about playing with a lower league team, but I don't feel I have patience for that. I have already tried that out with FC Nordsjælland which is a top 8-10 club in Denmark.

It sounds to me like this is your problem. I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but you seem to be saying that you get bored if you play as a top division team, but don't have the patience to play at a (harder) lower level. There aren't many options in between those; maybe you could take over at a club predicted to finish bottom of a top league, or at a club that's penniless? Or you could try playing with the fake players option selected when you start a new game, so you won't be able to use your knowledge of players?

The other option is to take a couple of weeks away from the game. I normally find that that solves any motivation issues when I come back!

It sounds to me like this is your problem. I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but you seem to be saying that you get bored if you play as a top division team, but don't have the patience to play at a (harder) lower level. There aren't many options in between those; maybe you could take over at a club predicted to finish bottom of a top league, or at a club that's penniless? Or you could try playing with the fake players option selected when you start a new game, so you won't be able to use your knowledge of players?

The other option is to take a couple of weeks away from the game. I normally find that that solves any motivation issues when I come back!

Yes, I guess I will take some time away from FM :)

About the first part - you are right about that I could start all over with a lower league team, but my personal problem is that I'm not that kind of FM-player. I like to start at a small club in a top division (I always load 10-15 countries with the top division only) and develop it, and then try to see if I can get further. My point is that it is too easy - look at FC Bayern IRL, they have great players and was CL finalist last season, but now in the league they can't really get the points right. In FM you just need the players, and then it's all good. That's my experience.

If you don't believe me, look at my career stats again - come on, noone has ever achieved something like that - except Mourinho maybe. The reason why I have been in so many clubs so far is that I allways feel I have achieved everything, which once again is the reason I can't game at the moment. I already know I have about 75 % chance of winning the treble!

Anyway, I would assume it's also "easy" to manage lower league teams? I have read some people advancing 2-3 leagues in just as many seasons.

Anyway, I would assume it's also "easy" to manage lower league teams? I have read some people advancing 2-3 leagues in just as many seasons.

Well, it depends how hard you want to make it! Playing with strict LLM rules can seem absolutely impossible at times.

You could also have a look at one of the challenges in the Challenges & Sign-ups sub-forum. Some of those are pretty tough, and it's quite fun having somewhere to talk/moan about how the save is going.

You haven't dominated with a top team in a top league.

Win La Liga, Premiership or Serie A in consecutive years!

The German league isn't that bad. Anyway I beat the c*** out of Barcelona, Real Madrid and so on with my Bayern team :)

Nor have you done anything completely outstanding.

My Liverpool haven't won the league in years, yet you left before you won anything credible except the F.A Cup.

That's true, but to be fair it was the only time I "failed", even though I was very close to win the Premiership in my first season with a poor squad (failed in the last match against number 20!).

Thanks, I will maybe try it out next time I open FM :)

Winning is a bit too easy indeed, but at least you still seem to be able to switch club quite often...

To me the biggest problem with FM is that I can't really bring myself to leave a club after I've worked hard to achieve something, be it promotion from lower divisions or establishing continental domination.

I think the game should make breakthrough much harder, thus giving the human player more chances and motivation to move on (and up).

The way it is now it's too easy picking up Everton or Palermo and going on to win leagues and Champions Leagues in just a couple of seasons...

Well I can't win to save my life.

I'm playing as Stuttgart in the Bundesliga, I've built one of the strongest teams and yet I still get b****-slapped week in week out by weaker sides. I can't win at home either, no matter what I do. SO frustrating.

Are you using a downloaded tactic?

The game is far too easy. What I feel the OP is saying (and what I definitely feel) is that the game rewards you for practically no effort. Click and win gaming, really. It doesnt hammer you over and over initially like it used to, until you got a hang of it. Appeals to teenagers with short attention spans, so that they'll buy the next year's version.

• 2 weeks later...

I have updated my original post because I have finished season 9 and 10.

Season 9: Monster-season with FC Bayern. Won the treble with almost no trouble at all + EC Super Cup and FIFA World Club Cup.

Season 10: Took over Arsenal, who came 8th in the previous season and I won the Premiership.

Once again, this is TOO easy. I don't want to have to play in the lower leagues to be challenged. In most occasions I can win the league title in 1-2 seasons with almost any team. My best example on this is season 2 where I won the Danish league with FC Nordsjælland. I got some free players and that did it. An other example could be my season 10 where I had absolutely no trouble winning the Premiership. I bought two players (goalkeeper + striker) and then I won the league with more than 10 points... All I do is "plug and play" - I set a tactic and use some players. I never change tactics, neither during matches nor during season.

Not to forget the achievement to win the Champions League - the biggest club competition in the world. It should be much harder to win it! Once you win it it's great, but the second time is "wow that was easy".

SI, please do something here. Unless you have little experience with CM/FM it can become very easy.

What reputation did you start with? Just asking as lots of people have problems moving countries when starting with a low past experience.

The lowest possible. I couldn't choose Sunday league footballer, so I chose the next one.

About people having problems moving countries. I have read about it and it sounds weird because I have had no trouble moving. I have twice had a team ask me while I was at another club (Bayern and Standard asked).

Archived